X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 07-18-2010, 11:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Do People Honk Their Horns At You While Your Walking?

I already made a thread similar to this, but I want to know if you think people are honking at you just by walking or bike riding down the sidewalk. I mean, I get so paranoid. Every car horn I hear, I think it's directed towards me and they're trying to startle me or something. Everytime I go outside and go for a walk, minding my own business, I still hear that noise. I hate it! Even if the car horns are like 10 houses away or if they pass me up but 10 seconds later they decide to honk. I know that there could be other reasons as to why they honked their horn, but sometimes I can't see if there was another reason at that moment (another driver making a mistake, honking at a driveway to let say "let's go," to the people inside, etc.) so I assume it was the startle me. Am I thinking too much? IS this rational or irrational? What about you?

And I live in a residential area by the way.
Family Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Yup, I've had a few cars honk at me as I walk on the sidewalk. I sometimes wonder why they do it, my mum told me it's because they think I am good looking so they honk their horn to get my attention haha, yeah right!

Some people make the world more special, just by being in it.
Georgina 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Sometimes people do this when I'm out running. Pisses me off

— Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency, Douglas Adams
KumagoroBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quite a bit actually, I have no idea why. Once this van was driving past me, honked its horn, and the driver gave me 2 fingers...not sure what that was about...another time i was walking up the pavement on a totally deserted one way street and the only car on the street errupted into a furious bout of horn-spamming as they went past me....and then there was the time a car slowed down next to me, the driver honked his horn, wound down the window, leant out and shouted "F---ING WEASEL!".

Normal people...they make no sense to me
Old 07-18-2010, 11:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

It's not quite the same thing, but I sometimes get young guys shouting things at me out of the window of a car, as they drive past. Nothing insulting though, just "hey!!!" or some unintelligible screaming noise.

I have no idea why they do it. It's just some strange thing when you put a certain type of young guys in a car together. I guess they always wanted to shout random things at other people really loudly, but they just needed to be in a car before they feel empowered enough to do it? Who knows.

Anyway it happened to me today as I was walking down the road. Someone shouted "hello!" out of a car window. At first I thought it must be someone I knew, until I realised that it was just another drive-by salutation from a total stranger.
tennislover84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Haven't had people honking at me while walking around, that I have noticed, but it does sound like something I could potentially be paranoid about.

Once, while waiting for a red light to cross the road, some car with a bunch of random people shouted something and laughed as they drove by. I don't know what it was about, as I had my earphones on blaring some kind of music. I just considered them to be a bunch of immature kids, and shortly after crossed the road while the green light came on.

Such things aren't really worth to think to much about. They would have done just that, regardless of who they found walking down the road.

As for the honking; if you're just walking on the sidewalk minding your own business, in most cases, it is not directed at you. If it is, it's just like with the situation I described above. Unless, of course, it happens to be someone you know.

It's still immaturity, though, as, as far as I know (don't have a drivers license), the horn should not be used unless there is a dangerous situation happening.
Sepultura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

a
acoc100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

i am frequently honked at while walking on the side of the road. once, a hummer drove past me and my best friend and a man leaned out and shouted YEAH, SHAKE THAT ***, *****! another time, two men in a really old, crappy car honked and waved at me and then pulled into a parking lot and gestured for me to get in their car. lol
Old 07-18-2010, 06:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

I rarely walk since I got license, but I got honked once because some people can't just wait couple of seconds so I walked slower Try it next time and show who's the boss lol.
xymic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm the same as you man. People have honked at me or shouted out their window and now I am paranoid.

I've even had things thrown at me... People today, no respect.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:07 PM   #11 (permalink)

Yes, this is precisely the reason I hate walking anymore!
catlover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

When I was in high school, I remember it being a popular pastime with local yokels to honk and shout "random stuff" from car windows. So, yeah, it happens.

But 99% of the time, people who honk aren't honking at you.
pita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

I have this fear its directed at me. its in reference to my hallucinations. I even fear it when at home.

-------------------------------------------------------
CopadoMexicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

It's ok, I get paranoid like that too sometimes but odds are if they didn't honk right beside you than it isn't for you, and even if it's right beside you it might be bc of a bad driver in front of them etc. I'd go with thinking that, or you can also assume you're extremely attractive and everyone is honking at you.. whichever you like lol XD.

All the time they lie to me they suffocate
All the time they're suffering
So when will it end?
Jessie203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for the replies. It feels good that I'm not alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy903 View Post
It's ok, I get paranoid like that too sometimes but odds are if they didn't honk right beside you than it isn't for you, and even if it's right beside you it might be bc of a bad driver in front of them etc. I'd go with thinking that, or you can also assume you're extremely attractive and everyone is honking at you.. whichever you like lol XD.
Lol I wish that was the reason why, but I hardly doubt that.
Family Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:32 PM   #16 (permalink)

I hate it too, I usually walk with my headphones on so if someone beeps I can pretend I didnt hear it because my music is too loud . . off coarse I can hear it tho
hulkamaniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:50 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Guy View Post
I already made a thread similar to this, but I want to know if you think people are honking at you just by walking or bike riding down the sidewalk. I mean, I get so paranoid. Every car horn I hear, I think it's directed towards me and they're trying to startle me or something. Everytime I go outside and go for a walk, minding my own business, I still hear that noise. I hate it! Even if the car horns are like 10 houses away or if they pass me up but 10 seconds later they decide to honk. I know that there could be other reasons as to why they honked their horn, but sometimes I can't see if there was another reason at that moment (another driver making a mistake, honking at a driveway to let say "let's go," to the people inside, etc.) so I assume it was the startle me. Am I thinking too much? IS this rational or irrational? What about you?

And I live in a residential area by the way.

People are losers. Mystery solved.
LALoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:41 AM   #18 (permalink)

People honk their horns at me all the time sometimes its not even directed to me but, when when they do i just flip them off and hope they don't run me over!
chems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:09 AM   #19 (permalink)

Haha I honked at a group of kids having a fight on a busy street, I then proceeded to ram the thankfully they moved or my little red, plastic car wouldn't snapped to smithereens. One of them passes me and my sister later, winds down his window and honks yelling "FIIIIIIIIGHT" rawcusly as he drives past us. It's my own fault really, diddn't care, he was a weasel but err unnnecessary isn't it. I remember a time I was about sixteen or seventeen as the author is now when I believed EVERY CAR HORN UNRESERVEDLY was directed at me, this will pass my friend, I promise you. You will feel stronger for this my friend, you will be unaffected in ways other people will be, you will grow from this as I have and people will wonder how you do such strange things they could never conceive of doing through the maturity you gain through feeling this way now. True confidence which will grow from the ashes as it were. Pom pom pom *parps his trumpet*

"Set me as a seal upon thine heart, as a seal upon thine arm: for love is strong as death; jealousy is cruel as the grave: the coals thereof are coals of fire, which hath a most vehement flame."- Song of Songs

"It was love that brought them back to life: the heart of one held inexhaustible sources of life for the heart of the other."- Dostoevsky
fredbloggs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:11 AM   #20 (permalink)

A car horn honking and startling you is nothing to be ashamed of. It's natural to jump at such things. It's even quite normal to experience a certain amount of fear or anxiety wondering why they are honking at you. Let's face it, the sound of a horn is associated with hostility since people use it in such a way as opposed to it's intended purpose of alerting people of your presence.

Try to remind yourself that the sound of a horn is there to make you alert. So become alert, look around, move on.

Consider the horn could be directed at another driver, at another pedestrian, at somebody inside their house. It could even be someone you know trying to say hi. If it is some jerks trying to scare you or just be abusive, remember they're just jerks amusing themselves. Keep on walking.
Ameles is offline   Reply With Quote