X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 09-29-2008, 11:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Do people find it hard to understand you when you talk?

For me this has always been an issue. Ever since I was a kid, my family has accused me of "mumbling." Often I would say something and it would go completely unnoticed because no one would even be aware of the fact that I talked! And this problem extends beyond my family as well. At restaurants I often have waiters ask me to repeat myself when I give my order (sometimes multiple times!). And it gets especially frustrating when, in a conversation with someone for the first time, the person says, "What?" and I have to repeat what I said.

Anyone else have this problem? And if so, do you know of a possible way to overcome it? The problem is that I'm not sure what I do to my voice to make it so uncomprehensible. I find I'm the most difficult to understand when I say things which I'm somewhat uncomfortable saying, but I don't consciously make myself difficult to understand. So comments/advice would be appreciated.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
kee

Default Re: Do people find it hard to understand you when you talk?

Ouch. Yes.

I get the unnoticed thing too. Brings me down everytime, but I get over it fast. In real life situations, I think you should call the person's name and get their attention first, I often make that mistake.

Ok, ok, I speak too soft.

Happens on the phone too. I know it's annoying to hear people talking loudly on their mobiles in public, so I try to keep my volume down. It's not audible for the person over the phoneThey'll go "WHAT?! I STILL CAN'T HEAR YOU." So... I have to "shout", even in a really quiet place.

I think some people just have hearing problems with all the loud music and stuff. (Well, people complain my music's too soft.)

kee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

My guess would be that when you're quiet and reserved you end up speaking softly. In your head it sounds loud, but actually it's very soft and quiet. The only thing I could say is to just practice projecting your voice by speaking louder than you normally would.
shyvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have this same problem. Sometimes I feel like I have a lazy tongue, which I don't. I always seem to mumble and stumble over my words which leads to stuttering and repeating myself.

What the heck is this?! It is so annoying and only makes the S.A. worse.
Aldridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

I am like the same like you people. People don't understand me because i talk too fast and perhaps too softly even though I thought I sounded loud and clear enough?
But it all works out
It doesn't matter much to me

Let me take you down
'Cause i'm going to strawberry fields...

Hot Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have this same problem. I talk really softly in public, especially if I'm talking in front of a lot of people, so everyone's always asking me to repeat myself or speak up. I can't even count how many times teachers in high school asked me to talk louder, because not even the people sitting two rows away could hear me when I spoke. I've been trying to talk louder more often, but it's hard because a lot of times I don't realize that I'm talking softly until someone points it out.

"But this too is true: stories can save us."
Tim O'Brien

"No life is a waste," the blue man said. "The only time we waste, is the time we spend thinking we are alone."
Mitch Albom
shelovescliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

Many times i speak in a soft undertone with my words slurring together and no one understands me and i have to repeat myself several times. But sometimes when i finally do speak up so they can hear me, they look at me all stunned like i just yelled at 'em.
Conquistador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

I talk too quietly and I garble my words. Sometimes I actually have trouble forming words into sentences and even *I* don't know what I'm talking about.
pita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:54 AM   #9 (permalink)

It use to be if I introduced myself to someone- I would stumble over my own name!! Talk about feeling dumb!- Knowing there attention was all on me would completely wipe me out.

"Never try to appear to be more than you are but always try to be more than you appear."
Still Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

Sometimes I talk so low people can't hear me, so sometimes ask me to repeat myself alot, or ask me to speak up.
Shauna The Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer222
I find I'm the most difficult to understand when I say things which I'm somewhat uncomfortable saying, but I don't consciously make myself difficult to understand. So comments/advice would be appreciated.
Yeah, I have that problem. If I feel unsure or uneasy about what I'm saying, then it comes out mumbled. For instance if it's something I'm afraid sounds stupid then I'll mumble. It's silly really because if I'm going to bother saying it I should say it loudly or else not say it at all. But instead it seems I try to find some middle ground where I say it but mumble it.
smalltowngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:45 PM   #12 (permalink)

yes, people ask me to repeat myself all the time which annoys me b/c I think I'm speaking perfectly clearly.
NutterButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

I have the same problem as you guys. Only on another degree. I always end up speaking too fast and people will go "What did you say? Could you slow down a little" and it's really frustrating when this happens to me
Unshown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

Me too, man its gets so damn annoying....to me I am speaking normal, but everyone else is like "what?" then I repeat a little louder...talk about a damn echo.
Jumper1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:43 AM   #15 (permalink)

Yes! I can relate to everything everyone has said so far. It happened to me last night. It happens all the time at work (and it doesn't help that there are loud machines to drown me out). Sometimes I have to repeat myself and they say, "I still can't hear you."

It's weird because my family always says I don't have any problem talking to them (i.e. I can be loud and give my opinion). Sooo frustrating.

This is my first post on here but I just had to comment on that. It always makes me feel like I have the social skills of an eight year old. Do you ever find that people treat you like a little kid or sometimes even like an idiot because of it? I find that a lot.

nobodyuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:03 AM   #16 (permalink)
xii

Many times. I've been referred by friends that I've made up my "own langauge" that no one understands but me
xii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:35 AM   #17 (permalink)

All the time. I'm 'mumbling' all the time and when I was in school my teachers used to complain to the point of writing notes home that I 'wasn't making an effort to speak up.' It was partially the fault of seemingly deaf teachers when everyone else seemed to hear me, I think sometimes they liked to exaggerate it for the sake of picking.

No one can ever hear me when I first talk to them but they eventually seem to get used to the way I speak. Even my mother who I'm comfortable around still can't hear me sometimes, when I think I'm talking perfectly clearly. It's weird.
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - Albert Einstein
luminary_pustule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:02 PM   #18 (permalink)

Same here. Its like I have to shout in order for people to hear me. One time i did a class presentation and I thought I was talking clearly and loud... but the one of my friends and the teacher told me I was mumbling.... totally pissed me off.

I feel like punching people's faces when they tell me to speak up.
Epicfailture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:28 PM   #19 (permalink)

Same here.

In my head it sounds perfectly loud and clear but by the third time I'm repeating myself I really am shouting and then they tell me to chill out. And I basically have this problem with everyone.

The worst was working at the movie theatre and having to speak from behind the glass through the microphone, forget it!

"I live in my own little world. But it's ok...they know me here." - unknown
Hallran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:28 PM   #20 (permalink)

Absolutly, I hate it as well.

At work it is horrble with machines running, radios going, and backround noise.

I always find myself waiting for a clear to talk time. For example, I wait till the person I want to talk to has no distractions and the room is some what quiet. Basicly I'm afraid of it and put it off and practice what I'm going to say in my head. If I say something spur of the moment it never transfers from my mouth exactly like I want, sometimes the words get mixed or slurred.

Ususally, I find myself nervously yelling things out if its spur of the moment. For example, My boss said get the phone, as it was ringing. I'm like AHHH OKAY GOT IT!!!! really loud.

This reason alone is why I don't talk much. No one understands me, if I have to repeat it 3 times I get fed up talking if I can't convey my message.

This is also why I like posting online so much, I can insure everything comes out right from my brain.