X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 12-15-2010, 06:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Do people become less friendly/tolerant with age?

Do they?

I don't know, but when I was in 8th grade or whatever, I often felt like I could approach ANYONE for at least a little sympathy. People were willing to talk to you if you wanted to talk to them. It's only later on when people have more experience with social interaction, and ultimately decide that it's "better" for them to simply shut out certain types of people. Especially if they had bad experiences with friendships/relationships - they're always less friendly the next time around.

Maybe they get frustrated with certain types of people. Or whatever. It's so HARD to find smart people who are willing to talk to you for any length of time past the age of 16. Especially girls. At least many boys are still very immature well into their 20s, so they're often more willing to talk.

Of course, I'm no exception either, since I'm hyper-stressed over my schoolwork.

And marriage, in particular, is one of the worst effects of age. Studies by Robin Dunbar et al. have shown that people who marry lose an average of 1-2 close friends. Sure I totally understand why they do it - but it certainly does make them harder to approach. Especially if you aren't lawful to begin with (and my severe ADHD often forces me to pursue non-lawful routes.

And it's also quite easy to see that older generations (and especially married people) are more likely than others to disapprove of victimless things like gay marriage and marijuana. While there may be some legit reasons to disapprove of them, the primary reasons seem to be related to intolerance. Of course, part of it is simply a generational effect, but part of it is also that they want to control their children.
http://www.reddit.com/user/inquilinekea

====

I'm intensely academic+studious but I like to have fun in nonconventional ways. I love all the natural+social sciences and am an astro+physics+math triple major.
ScarletMacaw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

If I'm not mistaken, I've read before that brain lateralization increases as men age (they become more rigid and intolerant of difference) and decreases as women age (they become more tolerant and flexible). Anecdotally, this makes sense to me.
Giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

its so hard to say-- it could be yes like a degeneration of people's minds or bodies or something biological---increase in certain hormones, the aging process possibly slows their mental processes down and maybe they feel older or less youthful, bubbly than they used to feel or feel more out of control possibly-- or it could be, the culmination of negative circumstances and 'lief' associated with 'getting older' growing up, tedious repetitive work, schools, that just really drains people and change their mentality - what i think anyway as well....so they become more 'bitter' and not the way they were as 'youths'...tragedies and negativity cause people to become more bitter and less tolerant of those who 'havent been through them' or of others or things in general...it changes many people...so many might end up becoming older, angrier etc---plus people become more set in their ways....its hard to deal with older people cuz they are totally 'set in tehir ways' and dont change for anyone- plus theyre elder so they dont feel they have to and shud be respected and can be stubborn etc......youth are just blossoming....they are growing up happy excited--etc...most likely havent been thru major tragedies tho many have been and so they have a very happy go lucky attitude about things....tehyre cool, hip etc...theyre not 'paernts' or 'adults' but as the years go by....and they experience more of 'life'...their attitude will change fast...i think a lot of it is societal plus, i think this society these days-- has a lot of uncaring, selfish mean adults anyway...so people are extra rude and less compassionate and caring than they used to be...also generational differences and cultural gaps--as well change for each generation
sherry09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

I don't agree that people become less friendly. I think it's more accurate to say that people can find themselves in seemingly comfortable social circles and don't want engage as much with relative strangers. That all depends on the specific person though. Many people continue to expand and change their social circles making new friends all through their lives.

There are many, many people out there of all ages for you to meet and befriend. It's as much about how you perceive and approach them as they perceive and approach you.

People can become cynical, but it isn't like it's some permanent state of mind. People who experience SA tend to become cynical pretty quickly, but a big part of starting to improve is to break the cycle of cynicism and develop a positive outlook.
confidencelost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InquilineKea View Post

And it's also quite easy to see that older generations (and especially married people) are more likely than others to disapprove of victimless things like gay marriage and marijuana. While there may be some legit reasons to disapprove of them, the primary reasons seem to be related to intolerance. Of course, part of it is simply a generational effect, but part of it is also that they want to control their children.
I must be in the minority...okay I know I am, here anyway...I live in the South and am the only person I know who isn't racist, anti-drug, or against same-sex relationships.

But other than that, yeah...you damn kids better get off my lawn!
*shakes fist*
kiasockmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

the older you get you notice the worlds colder than you thought so people naturally adjust to that an lose their tolerant friendly streak an become more focused on things that are just distractions like work, work, work.....maybe a little work here or there, an then a little pay an then some more work, work , work, work, and....work.
"Eckhart saw Hell too. He said: The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of life, your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you, he said. They're freeing your soul. So, if you're frightened of dying and... and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth."
kid a is offline   Reply With Quote