X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 02-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Constantly feeling like no one likes you?

Does anyone else suffer from this? There may or may not be evidence for this but I almost always feel like this especially at work, well at work there almost is evidence for this, like when you walk into a room at lunch time the talking stops, or people putting there head down when they walk past you so they don't have to speak, ok so once or twice you can get away with it, but every time?

But I can't figure out if its because I feel like no one like me that I send out a vibe or something and so cause people to act this way around me, or I feel like this because people ignore me and just don't like me.

Either way its not very pleasant feeling like no one like you.
thequietmanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yep. I even get that with friends, but it's worse around strangers.

I definitely think it's partly true that we give off some kind of vibe, but I also think that it's a vicious circle and it begins with the initial, irrational feeling that we're unwanted which leads to the seemingly-unfriendly behaviour that gives off the aforementioned vibe, which causes people to react to us negatively, in turn reinforcing the initial anxiety.

In my case, my friends don't react to my anxious behaviour the same way strangers do, so the anxiety isn't reinforced and is more manageable, but around strangers, it can be pretty bad. It all depends on how they react, the vibe they give off (certain people are more likely to trigger the initial fear, I find) and the mood I'm in.

Of course speed, MDMA, a bit of weed, opiates, benzos and alcohol all prevent this from happening in the first place.
Duke of Prunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

i get that feeling alot too, but i think it may have to do with having sa. I know that having sa leads me to assume negative things and outcomes without actually having any evidence that what my mind makes up is true. My mind likes to play with me sometimes and it comes from within. I will admit though that when im anxious i know i send off some weird vibe that makes others nervous or feel a little off so im trying to work on it for my sake
I recently posted on a thread and someone gave me really good advice, maybe the reason why we assume everyone hates us is because we still haven't learn to love ourselves. To me it made perfect sense, i don't like myself and therefore how do i expect other people to like me if i cant give what i want to receive to myself. Im going to work on as well.

Successful people maintain a positive focus in life no matter what is going on around them. They stay focused on their past successes rather than their past failures, and on the next action steps they need to take to get them closer to the fulfillment of their goals rather than all the other distractions that life presents to them. Jack canfield
Tess4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

I experience the same thing. It screws up my relationships. I've always felt that people around me don't like me, so it's really hard for me to try to befriend them, because all I see is rejection. And worse, I even feel that way about my friends. I can never really trust them not hating me and talking behind my back, so I always keep my distance and just end up feeling lonely. I even got down to the point where I become harsh to them in response, because I somewhat believe people will hurt me in the end so I better hurt them first.

This is the bad, destructive thing living in your head.

-Duvet, Serial Experiment Lain
fictionmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

I feel this way with everyone, even my family. When I try to be confident and ignore the anxiety I think it also results in "seemingly unfriendly behaviour"^ , I try so hard to relax, trust people and be nice to everyone but I still end up feeling like no one likes me and I'm slowly becoming more sure that these irrational feelings are in fact rational and true :///
jamesSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Location: In the wild and ever-changing universe within my skull.

I feel this way all the time, i would go so far as to say i might suffer from Paranoia. I have great difficulty trusting people. And it is even harden to discern wether people's intentions are genuine, good, bad, etc...
NoHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Aly

everyday
i even feel like my friends who i've known for 6 years don't like me
Aly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Location: In the wild and ever-changing universe within my skull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aly View Post
everyday
i even feel like my friends who i've known for 6 years don't like me
Reminds me how i ended up friendless..
NoHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well I'm a dick so I'm not surprised people don't like me haha. But i act differently around my online friends so they actually like me.
TheTruthIsOutThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

I don't have a lot of friends in real life, but I definitely feel like online friends don't like me.
unbreakable damages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

i know for certain nobody likes me.
DJNinja88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequietmanuk View Post
Does anyone else suffer from this? There may or may not be evidence for this but I almost always feel like this especially at work, well at work there almost is evidence for this, like when you walk into a room at lunch time the talking stops, or people putting there head down when they walk past you so they don't have to speak, ok so once or twice you can get away with it, but every time?

But I can't figure out if its because I feel like no one like me that I send out a vibe or something and so cause people to act this way around me, or I feel like this because people ignore me and just don't like me.

Either way its not very pleasant feeling like no one like you.
Do you remember any instances where people have talked to you or been nice to you?
Negative thinking can really mess with your memory. My mind filters out every social situation besides ones where I was ignored. Therefore I think "people ignore me all the time; they must dislike me." But if I think hard enough, I can recall instances where people said hi, gave a compliment, or were kind in general. Not everyone out there is a jerk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJNinja88
i know for certain nobody likes me.
I like you.

Now you can't say that anymore.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

This thread reminded me of...

But, I feel the same way. Even if someone says they like me, in the back of my mind I always think they dislike me. I don't know if I'll ever get over the feeling-- I feel this way with my parents and siblings, not just 'people'...
Bunyip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #14 (permalink)

I do feel this way too sometimes. and I don't blame neither me nor people who don't like me...How can people like me when I lack social relaxity ?!, How can i tell a good joke when I am too Anxious...

'In this world, even a Soviet one, there will always be rich and poor. Rich in gifts, poor in gifts. Rich in love, poor in love.'
From Enemy at the gate movie...
The shy soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

I have loved ones, but they never really go out of there way to reach me. I don't think they like my presence too much. . .
bioalp43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #16 (permalink)

I feel this way most of the time anymore, even with my family. I feel like anyone I meet hates me & thinks I'm a creep, the few friends I have only hang around me so they laugh at me @ make fun of me behind my back, amd that my family is embarassed and ashamed of me.
No matter how horrific or unbelievable as it may seem, everything I post on here about my life is fact. Believe me or don't, I don't care anymore. I'm not trying to be mean or nasty, I'm truly not. This is simply one of the many ways I'm trying to cope with my SA and my many other issues.
scaliesmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #17 (permalink)

uh huh. i feel like everyone secretly hate me, even with my parents. i feel that they're nice to me in front of me but once i leave probably ***** about me.

"Love me when I least deserve it, because that's when I need it the most." - Swedish proverb

"Society is like a crowd in carnival costumes with everyone fearful that others will see through his disguise." - Vernon Howard.
mysterioussoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #18 (permalink)

I constantly feel like no one likes me.

I believe that the reason no one likes me is because something in my demeanour communicates to others who see me that I am a loser.

I feel that I cannot ever become likable, because I cannot do anything about the unattractive messages that I subconsciously communicate.
blightofshyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #19 (permalink)

Been feeling this way a lot lately. Feels like none of my friends want anything to do with me..
JenN2791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #20 (permalink)

Yes I feel this way alot. I do not want to be a negative influence to people but some coworkers seem annoyed and avoidant of me. As well as most people.
McdonaldMiller is offline   Reply With Quote