X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 03-04-2014, 11:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Compulsive Task Avoidance (Procrastination)

I feel I have my SA under control. I'm not depressed. But chronic, inexplicable procrastination is currently my biggest problem.

Today, I took a sick day from work because I'm behind on something due to procrastination. It's like I was frozen and couldn't do anything. I have times when I freak out like this and I scramble and get things done last minute.

Quote:
Procrastination is a form of addictive escapism that must be dealt with directly or there will be no recovery.

Recovery from procrastination (aka compulsive task avoidance) cannot be achieved by abstaining from your current favorite procrastination activity, because you'll just switch to something else (just as cutting out certain foods doesn't resolve compulsive eating problems). Recovery from procrastination means doing what you say you're going to do, when you say you're going to do it.
http://procrastinators-anonymous.org/node/8

I found the link above today. I'll read it later. This is the strangest mental issue. Just like SA gets confused with shyness. This chronic procrastination (compulsive task avoidance) is far more serious than just plain procrastination.

Anyone else dealing with this?

― Kurt Vonnegut
AngelClare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have the same problem. I currently am failing a class because of it, and don't expect to pass. It might all be connected somehow.
ravenseldoncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

I procrastinate, but I still manage to get a near perfect GPA so it's not affecting my life too negatively. It prevents me from reaching my full potential though so I should really work on it..
Old 03-04-2014, 08:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

I can't even bring myself out of bed to get my homework.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

I procrastinate all the time with things involving people like making phone calls or having to talk and discuss something with someone. It gets me into trouble with a lot of things because I am too afraid to do it.

Then after failing so many times because of my inability to socialize, I am afraid to try anything at all and put things off for fear of another failure.

Lonelyguy111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZADY View Post
I can't even bring myself out of bed to get my homework.
That's called depression, not procrastination.
s2panda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm supposed to be writing a big nasty essay right now that is due tomorrow and I haven't even started it.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

I think I have it. It has to do with a fear of responsibility. The more you accomplish by not procrastinating, the more responsibilities you end up having. So by doing nothing and making excuses, one doesn't have to deal with any responsibilities, at least until they accumulate and hit him hard one day.
seagull92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull92 View Post
I think I have it. It has to do with a fear of responsibility. The more you accomplish by not procrastinating, the more responsibilities you end up having. So by doing nothing and making excuses, one doesn't have to deal with any responsibilities, at least until they accumulate and hit him hard one day.
I think this is the core of mine as well. I worry about having responsibilities and not being able to achieve them or screwing up and failing in some way like getting fired at a job for some dumb mistake.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

When it comes to some things like schoolwork, registering for classes, and getting my financial aid turned in, I procrastinate way too much. For things like doing laundry, cooking, and other mundane things I get those done all the time.

It seems if I know it will cause me stress/anxiety, the more likely I am to procrastinate doing it.

"Every heart has a pain. Only the way of expressing it is different. Fools hide it in their eyes, while the brilliant hide it in their smiles."

Darktower776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

I am the absolute worst procrastinator. I procrastinate with anything I don't want to do, whether it's related to my SA or not. If it involves making phone calls or going to see people who I don't know, I definitely avoid it as long as possible because I don't want to see people. If it's something that in my brain feels like a hassle, I'll avoid it too. Then when I actually get it done, it is rarely the hassle that it was in my mind. Sometimes I just get caught up doing something else and don't feel like doing what it is I should be doing.
Julia555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:51 AM   #12 (permalink)

I am a massive procasti-master. However, it makes sense because I have avoidant personality disorder