completely shut down (not closed) my facebook.. the right choice? - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 09-14-2010, 08:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default completely shut down (not closed) my facebook.. the right choice?

I stopped logging in and closed off a lot of the functionalities. I admit that it bothered me a little and cares about what people thought. I decided to let the past go and just let my facebook remain idle. I am going to be making new friends and hopefully don't fall in the same trap again. Was doing something like this the right choice?

Did anyone do something similar?
wheretogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

I applaud you, my friend. Facebook is slowly killing me. It is a tool to compare your social life to someone else's. Almost always, I feel inferior to all of my "friends" on there. I am embarrassed by my own facebook page because not many people write on my wall or comment on my stuff. It has gotten to the point where I am afraid to write a status because I am afraid that no one will comment on it or like it. I really want to delete the damn thing, but I just can't.
baseballdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Guys and girls,

DON'T QUIT FACEBOOK. It takes time and energy to build up a facebook presence so don't quit it.

You gotta talk to others so others will talk back to you. Be aggressive (but not needy & creepy).

A friend of mine used to have way less friends than I did.(I used to be quite popular) However, I quit Facebook for a year and to my surprise, he overtook me and have 150 more friends than I do.

Start building your friends network, try to 1 person per day. I don't think it'll be that hard(it's intimidating though but we can do it!).

Unless you have like a million friends, you'll always be jealous of people who have more friends than you do. I have 430 friends but when I look at people with 800 friends, I feel inferior. However, now I just tell myself to f*uck it and suck it up. If I add a person a day, I'll have 800 friends next year.

So guys, it's doable as long as you are willing to stick your neck out and take risks.
johnkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

I also closed my facebook, it just that it's so depressing seeing that everyone else has over 200 friends. I did have exactly 100 hundred friend before I deleted but it meant nothing if you never send them comments I'm afraid that since I don't know them they think I'm a stalker. My wall was just commented by my little sister and I was embarrassed by my profile. In the End Facebook just gave me more unnecessary anxiety so I got rid of it
Old 09-14-2010, 10:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

johnkim what's the point?
Old 09-14-2010, 11:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Were View Post
johnkim what's the point?
the point is to keep moving forward. Escape is not the way. The more you fight it, the worse it gets. I experienced it completely myself.

You are in control of your own life. Just forget what others think. Even if they care, screw them. All it matters is you. Live by your own rule. Be nice to people. Stick your neck out and take risk. I got rejected by people on facebook as well but who cares? I'm still here and breathing.

Start taking pictures of things and upload them to facebook. It can be a dead tree, accidents on street, interesting demonstrations, cool stuffs you see in store, etc.

The reason I posted is because I experienced the same thing so I want people to take the right path and don't repeat my footstep. I hated facebook so much that I wish it was bankrupt but the reality is that it's the most popular website on the planet and it's not gonna change. Rather than changing the world, become part of it.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

On one hand, I once deleted mine and didn't regret it. It felt like a relief to not have to worry about that aspect of my life. It wasn't until I re-made it that I regretted deleting it before (and I re-made it because I almost feel like I have to have one in my situation) because I would've had more friends than I do now.

On the other hand, I agree with johnkim that keeping it could be better. Even though it causes you stress, it might help you grow stronger if you keep pushing yourself mentally in a positive way. I struggle with my Facebook too but I try to stay positive since I can't delete it now. I have very few friends and it's embarrassing for new friends to add me and see that. But sometimes people think so differently that they might barely think anything of our friend count. Some might just think that we're not the type to add everyone or it's a new account, etc. There are also those who look down on those with 500+ friends.
DoveAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoveAgain View Post
On one hand, I once deleted mine and didn't regret it. It felt like a relief to not have to worry about that aspect of my life. It wasn't until I re-made it that I regretted deleting it before (and I re-made it because I almost feel like I have to have one in my situation) because I would've had more friends than I do now.

On the other hand, I agree with johnkim that keeping it could be better. Even though it causes you stress, it might help you grow stronger if you keep pushing yourself mentally in a positive way. I struggle with my Facebook too but I try to stay positive since I can't delete it now. I have very few friends and it's embarrassing for new friends to add me and see that. But sometimes people think so differently that they might barely think anything of our friend count. Some might just think that we're not the type to add everyone or it's a new account, etc. There are also those who look down on those with 500+ friends.

Great job!

Getting more active on Facebook is a process. It's similar to planting seeds and the reap the rewards when they mature. You can't except flocks of comments or posts on your facebook page out of nowwhere. Instead, you need to start commenting others' status, wish other happy birthday when their birthday comes, share interesting links/news you see online, say what's up to people. Eventually, when it's time for your birthday, people will return their wishes.

It's a two-way street. I almost forgot how it works but now I'm relearning the "rules".

Sometimes we wish things will disappear if we cover our eyes. Unfortunately, the world doesn't revolve around us.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

I shut down my Facebook a few days after opening it (and I opened it because someone nagged me to). Later on, when the option was available, I deleted my account.

As a result, I didn't have to deal with my new boss wanting to add me to his friends list (as he did with any colleagues who had Facebook), and I never discovered embarrassing pictures that others posted of me (as people sometimes discover of themselves).

If someone wants to communicate with me, for whatever reason... they can... *drum roll*... pick up the phone
veron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

No Facebook account for me yet, my wife has one though. I am debating setting up an account so I can then set up a fan page for my eBay selling and use it as part of a larger network to get people to buy the crap I am trying to hawk off.* If it weren't for eBay I wouldn't even need the internets let alone the multitude of social networking sites out there. The way things are now, I just turned 37 last week and already have felt super old for a number of years now. I wish that it were still 1977 and I was 4 years old and collecting bottle caps and seashells and playing with that used Evel Knevil stunt cycle set my mom got me at a garage sale that one time.

*The whole facebook fan page networking eBay thing is purely a creation of my manic side and insanity, I doubt that much will come out of it in reality.
fatoldsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

I haven't shut mine down yet, although I'm about to with all the privacy invasion it brings. I try and use it as a medium to become a little more social. Doing small things like posting one thing a day. Making it raw and not changing it so other people think it's cool.
FlashBulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

Great call. I've deactivated mine three times, but each time I come back to it.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

I shut down mine too
best decision I've made all year
oneTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

I have a friend who closed his facebook account because somebody posted a rude comment. He made it again the next day lol.

How do you say goodbye, 

When you've hardly said hello?

snowfly is offline   Reply With Quote