X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 03-02-2011, 06:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Can't think of what to say on the spot

Responding to someone is such a huge task, it seems if I go to the gym, someone just simply asking "are you done with that" triggers my brain into panic and I can't think of what to say and usually will quickly panic and say something like "yeh its all yours", but it will feel weird saying it - like it doesn't feel natural, anyone else feel like this?
hulkamaniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Yeah, I do this a lot. It's like I go into panic mode, just like you said, even sometimes with something as simple as "How was your weekend". I think the panic I get & the total inability to respond at all, until I just blurt something out that hopefully makes sense...I'm thinking that probably has a lot to do with my stuttering sometimes also. Strange because I didn't used to be this way. MY SA got really gradually more & more severe over the last 10 years. I didn't used to stutter, I mean, never. It's frustrating, because, for me at least, the more I try to avoid it, the worse it seems to get.

Bereavement is a darkness impenetrable to the imagination of the unbereaved. ~Iris Murdoch

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life,
I know you'll be a sun in somebody else's sky,
But why, why, why can't it be mine? ~Pearl Jam

Spend every moment like it's your last. Hug her, kiss her, hold her, like it's the last time that you ever will. Because it might be.
TenYears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yes. u not alone bro. I feel same, and later I think I should've responded this way. I don't know what happens on the spot.
scarface007 is offline   Reply With Quote