Can you be extroverted and have social anxiety? - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Reply
Old 03-10-2011, 05:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
 
Status: User Requested Permanent Ban
Join Date: Feb 2011
Age: 23
Posts: 380



Default Can you be extroverted and have social anxiety?

Do I think I'm introverted because I enjoy doing things alone or do I enjoy doing things alone because I'm socially anxious and would rather be alone than deal with my anxiety? Maybe I'm extroverted but my SA has kept me to myself.

Is it a rule that only introverted people have social anxiety? And if not, why do alot of people with SA always complain about "extroverts" being this and being that..?
krista91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
 
Ramondo's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Melbourne, Aus
Gender: Male
Age: 50
Posts: 903



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krista91 View Post
Do I think I'm introverted because I enjoy doing things alone or do I enjoy doing things alone because I'm socially anxious and would rather be alone than deal with my anxiety? Maybe I'm extroverted but my SA has kept me to myself.

Is it a rule that only introverted people have social anxiety? And if not, why do alot of people with SA always complain about "extroverts" being this and being that..?
You could be born extraverted and develop SA and become introverted. They are descriptions. You can't be an extravert if you feel and behave introvertedly.
Ramondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
 
kingfoxy's Avatar
 
Status: For Fox Sake
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Scotland
Gender: Male
Posts: 793



Default

I would think it not possible as extroverts are loud outgoing types who like to be the centre of attention not exactly the definition of someone with social anxiety.
__________________
LAUGH AND THE WHOLE WORLD LAUGHS WITH YOU CRY AND YOU CRY ALONEWHY DOES IT HAPPEN BECAUSE IT HAPPENS ROLL THE BONES
kingfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
 
fredbloggs02's Avatar
 
Status: In Adams World
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Buckinghamshire, England
Gender: Male
Age: 23
Posts: 2,845



Default

I was under the impression introvert/extrovert described an innate need each of us feel upon birth. Not how we've grown but where we conjure energy from naturally without awareness. I always felt Social anxiety artificial in discerning this in that we may not feel the need to associate with lots and lots of people or our very closest aquaintances but if the world were different, if we felt more accepted, this is the urge bubbling inside us to satisfy.

If there were a world where noone spoke to anyone I still believe the titles would exist. It's not really language or lack of language but the way we talk to ourselves it seems to me. I hardly understand people who just drop off the cuff remarks to oneanother and they hardly unerstand me, I've come to realise. The language may be the same but each side is looking for different things within it or maybe nothing from most and something from few within this mirage of being there to everyone. Everyone is like that a bit I suppose. Everyone can talk without conveying anything and then someone sees something in that which was lacking for the others. How to distinguish between our conscious acting out of these innate energies and our invividuality is quite confusing, it turns interaction into a sandstorm and I always ask myself this. How much of what I do is really mine when all I'm doing is painting a picture of what I'm looking for? I think our nature as social beings is core to our intense feelings. Is a picture really an expression or simply acting out of innate characteristics a percentage of everyone would share wth the artist? For example loneliness portrayed by an extrovert might be room full of chattering people but no speech bubble coming from the mouth of the artist's projection of themselves surveying the room(the artist did exist in the painting). An introverts picture of lineliness may be a full room of chattering incomprehensibe people and an invisible projection of themselves(the artist diddn't exist in the painting). If it were so clear cut pictures would be nothing more than appealing and warm or cold, formless, complicated things we wouldn't feel it seems to me. If I as an introvert diddn't want to talk for example I'd paint something opaque only smilar people would see through or people willing to make all that effort to understand one person, not many people would bother with just one person. That spells introvert to me.

Maybe being lonely as an extrovert is being ignored(I read that a lot here) and being lonely as an introvert is being misunderstood by not just many but everyone many. A confident introvert to me is maybe someone who decides to be misunderstood by many to reach the few and a cofident extrovert someone who trusts the loyalty of his/her friends.
__________________
"I am looking for a true human being."- Diogenes

"Set me as a seal upon thine heart, as a seal upon thine arm: for love is strong as death; jealousy is cruel as the grave: the coals thereof are coals of fire, which hath a most vehement flame."- Song of Songs

"It was love that brought them back to life: the heart of one held inexhaustible sources of life for the heart of the other."- Dostoevsky
fredbloggs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 743



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krista91 View Post
Do I think I'm introverted because I enjoy doing things alone or do I enjoy doing things alone because I'm socially anxious and would rather be alone than deal with my anxiety? Maybe I'm extroverted but my SA has kept me to myself.

Is it a rule that only introverted people have social anxiety? And if not, why do alot of people with SA always complain about "extroverts" being this and being that..?
a social anxiety sufferer can be either introverted or extroverted.

you may be an extrovert who has developed a phobia. and that phobia now triggers anxiety in you when you are around others. therefore you avoid other people cos you dont like feeling anxious. you are avoiding feeling anxious - not avoiding people per say
paulyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto
Gender: Male
Posts: 3



Default

It depends whether you prefer hanging out with friends more (extroversion) or doing things by yourself (introversion). Personally, as much as l like my friend(s), I prefer my alone time but there are days I feel like meeting as many new people as I can (rarely).

Extroverts can have social anxiety as much as Introverts but I would imagine their desire to be with other people would give them more incentive to push past their SA while introverts will have a greater struggle for a number of reasons.
Jamiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
 
Freiheit's Avatar
 
Status: o_O
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA
Gender: Female
Age: 23
Posts: 5,654



Default

Idk. I think extroverts need more stimulation from their environment so they seek out other people, and are more adventurous, as opposed to introverts who prefer to be alone and don't need the extra stimulation because they are more sensitive to their surroundings...something along these lines since that's what I learned in my Psychology class last semester...I think, both can suffer from social inhibitions but I'd imagine it would be more extreme for an introvert because the anxiety would cause them to be isolated and avoid people even more, which isn't beneficial really because they need experience with people in order to become better at socializing...while extroverts would be more likely to venture out and take a more active approach in dealing with the issue by still socializing despite the anxiety...At least that how I see it.
Freiheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Kon
 
Kon's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,811



Default

One can also be an uninhibited introvert. I will talk on and on about something that interests me while everybody around me is totally bored but I will try to make them see that they're missing out or change the conversation to flow with my interests/thoughts. But a lot of times, I say nothing and am totally quiet and listening or pretending to listen.

As I see it, the big difference is an introvert will always need to be alone with their thoughts even with people close to them. When I'm out with friends/relatives/spouse and I have no anxiety whatsoever, I'm often thinking about when this socialization crap will be over so I can go back to my reading/internet, training, etc. I don't even pay attention to the conversations as my mind is elsewhere. If it's new people, I don't pay attention to names, their stories, etc. In some ways introverts can sometimes be a bit self-centered as people kinda become objects to stimulate their thoughts. Maybe I'm mistaken/misinterpreting this?


Here's an intersting quote about Shy extroverts:

"For those who think that an extrovert is an out-going person and an introvert is a quiet person, let me give you a more accurate definition. An extrovert is a person who gets energy from being with people. An introvert gets his energy from being alone. That often means the extrovert IS out-going. He has to be out there with people, interacting with them, to charge his batteries.

The introvert, on the other hand, is quite happy to sit on the side-lines, saying little, because he'll get his batteries charged later, when he's at home watching TV or playing Xbox, on his own. If he's shy, then he doesn't have to stress himself out by getting out there and risking rejection. He may not feel good about himself for being shy, but he does OK.

On the other hand, the extrovert has to be out there with people or he feels drained and unhappy. Too much time on his own and this guy becomes stressed to the eyeballs. It's not that he feels better about himself when he's centre of the crowd, it's that that's the only place he can lift his spirits.

But there's a Catch 22 in this for the extrovert. To be centre of attention means you risk drawing negative reactions from people. And the shy person has a very thin skin. It hurts the shy guy a lot more to suffer any sort of rejection than it does a non-shy person. Even a minor slight like someone turning away to talk to someone else, is more painful than the situation warrants.

Scientists have found that shy people have a very over-active part of the brain: the part that controls our adrenalin. So when a shy person is in a new situation they over-react to that situation. It feels more dangerous than it probably is. Shy people are also more sensitive in other areas of their life too. And they are usually more intelligent and focused than their counterparts. (There are some very big pluses in being naturally shy.)

I met a guy who was a professional comedian not so long ago. He was an absolute crack-up. People loved him. He found it easy to get women into bed. He seemed to have the perfect life. To everyone else.

In private, he confided to me that he wanted to get into a committed relationship. He was tired of the 'one night stand' life-style. He was lonely. But women didn't want more than sex from him, he said. None of them took him seriously. He 'used to be' shy he told me, but then he'd taken up comedy, and had learned to be a showman. He'd overcome his shyness.

But the sad fact was that he hadn't. He was a shy extrovert who had created a great mask behind which he could hide very successfully. But his natural shyness meant that he couldn't come out from behind the mask, especially in vulnerable situations like romance, where rejection is even more dangerous.

So he stayed behind his clown's mask, lonely but safe. Just like his introvert brother sitting in the corner. Coping with life but not fully living it." - ezinarticles.com"
Kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
 
BBQ_Chicken's Avatar
 
Status: I ****ing love my life
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Happytown
Gender: Male
Age: 18
Posts: 4,757



Default

Maybe you would like to be, but having no self confidence could massively restrict you? Maybe your confident self would be like that but sa prevents it?
BBQ_Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
 
Status: User Requested Permanent Ban
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,409



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwkwardGal View Post
Well, I don't think I'm inherently extraverted or introverted. I don't gain any energy from being alone or with other people. I need a balance. I like to socialise. I like to go out. I also like to stay home and have alone time. I don't really prefer one over the other.

In saying that, when I was younger I was very much introverted. I didn't care for other people's company at all.
I agree. For the most part, I'd rather be out with people (depends on what people though). But I don't mind being alone unless it is for a long time. I actually hate terms extrovert/introvert because they cause a lot of stereotypes. Also, if someone carries around the self-image "I'm an introvert" they can use it as an excuse to not try new things. Every person that uses extrovert/ introvert to define themselves is definitely limiting themselves in some way.
Mae West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
 
tweedyrat's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Gender: Female
Age: 23
Posts: 361



Default

Quote:
He 'used to be' shy he told me, but then he'd taken up comedy, and had learned to be a showman. He'd overcome his shyness.
I think it's interesting how a lot of famous people (actors, musicans etc.) seem to say this. Maybe they use the word 'shy' lightly, I don't know, but still...
tweedyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
 
matty's Avatar
 
Status: Mentor
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Australia
Gender: Male
Age: 29
Posts: 4,028



Default

Interesting, I feel I gain energy from being out and around people. Not to even interact with anyone. Like if I sit at home alone I become drained, but if I walk around the city I feel normal.

I have always been quiet and only speak when I have something to so. My family has commented on this from time to time. That I am someone of few words.

I dont know what I am, but either way it doesnt change anything
__________________
--The past is only the future with the lights--
--I'm Beat but cant be Broken--
Under Construction

matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 609



Default

yeah u would never think Sam Kinision and Rodney Dangerfield were very insecure people...John Belushi is said to have been a very introverted person despite his public persona..Mitch Hedberg suffered from depression and some form of social phobia...list goees on and on...
belfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
 
Status: Permanently Banned
Join Date: Jun 2010
Age: 32
Posts: 1,262



Default

I'm very extroverted. This is one of the biggest misconceptions I hate about SAD. You don't have to be an introverted shut-down to suffer from this illness. Sure around strangers or large groups I suffer very much the same as anyone else with acute SAD, but if I'm in a comfortable place, or around people I trust, I am the center of attention, the dude yapping and telling jokes, life of the party.

I think a lot of people are under the impression that SAD is one generic disease with the same symptoms. Really, it's just an IRRATIONAL anxiety overload. If you have a lot of anxiety and there's reasons for it "you're ugly, overweight, talk funny, missing an arm, etc.." you most likely do NOT have SAD. There is a rational reason for your anxiety, people HAVE and ARE doing things that make you anxious. It's when this anxiety is unfounded and irrational that you have a disorder. It's when you think people are laughing behind your back, when they aren't. Or when you feel like you're making funny facial expressions, even though you know you're not. When your brain is telling you one thing but your emotions are reacting in a completely different way. That's what can make SAD so debilitating, knowing that nothing is wrong and yet still panicking and freaking out, the feeling of actually going crazy. That's why it's also important to get diagnosed by a Dr who's familiar with the illness, WAY TO MANY PEOPLE ARE JUST SHY or have awful social skills and get the SAD label smacked on them when that really isn't the case.

short answerl ; yes I have acute SAD and I am very extroverted.
Emanresu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
 
VanDamMan's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,967



Default

Introverts still need other people, just not mass quantities.
__________________
Beneficiary of 52 infractions and 5 warnings.
VanDamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
 
InfiniteBlaze's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Gender: Male
Age: 21
Posts: 11,618



Default

Yes, you can. Extroverts with SA have it way worse in my opinion because socializing is very important to them and they need it almost constantly. Good thing I'm introverted.
InfiniteBlaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
 
The Ones's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Colorado
Gender: Male
Age: 23
Posts: 123



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramondo View Post
You could be born extraverted and develop SA and become introverted.
I think this is kinda what happened to me. I used to be very extroverted in my younger days (mainly elementary school), but I soon developed SA and became introverted. Sometimes I still think that I have extroverted qualities that are just being covered by SA, but I don't know.
__________________
"Why are you judging people so damn hard
You're taking your point of views a bit too far"

"I made my shoes shine with my coal
But my polish didn't shine the hole"

some lyrics from Edit the Sad Parts
By Modest Mouse
The Ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
 
Status: Permanently Banned
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kansas City
Gender: Male
Age: 30
Posts: 1,481



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krista91 View Post
Do I think I'm introverted because I enjoy doing things alone or do I enjoy doing things alone because I'm socially anxious and would rather be alone than deal with my anxiety? Maybe I'm extroverted but my SA has kept me to myself.

Is it a rule that only introverted people have social anxiety? And if not, why do alot of people with SA always complain about "extroverts" being this and being that..?
Well this all depends on whether you have Social Anxiety Disorder or not. Because I'd say lots of people have SA every now and then, and most of these people are still extroverts. So yeah, someone with SA can be an extrovert. But I truly believe that anyone with a full blown SAD has to be introverted.

Another thought I have is people can be both extroverted and introverted. You could be both?
IcemanKilmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #19 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7



Default Yes you can be an extrovert and have s.a.s

Hello,

I'm new here, and I found this place becaus I typed "extrovert and social anxiety" into the Google search field. So there you have it.
Anyhoo: I am about as extroverted as it gets. However I suffer immensly from social anxiety disorder. I read and agree with the post that basically reprinted an ezine article: I get energy by being around others. When I am upset, I don`t want to be alone. I do like alone time, and I use it to recharge my batteries-- which in this human, need alot of recharging! I love telling stories and jokes, I love to make people laugh, I`m quick witted and can find ways to talk about anything anyone wants to talk about, whether I know anything about it or not. That being said, I am terrified of new situations. This has gotten worse since I moved away from a town where I was very comfortable and pretty popular (I think!). Since moving to a small place where people are quite insular, I`ve been depressed, and highly anxious about going into new situations.
I am also a mother, and showing up to playgroups and birthday parties is a nightmare for me. I am way more afraid of women than I am of men.
Also, I have a.d.d, so I can get very flustered and be very disorganized. I can say do things impulsively. I also have a rather larger than life personality. So I ACTUALLY AM BEING JUDGED, trust me.
It may be even more painful for an extrovert to be socially anxious, because you want and need to be around people but you feel the pain and fear of being judged even more. That being said, this is not a contest. Feeling so scrutinized sucks no matter what kind of personality you have.
gforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
Kon
 
Kon's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,811



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gforce View Post
It may be even more painful for an extrovert to be socially anxious, because you want and need to be around people but you feel the pain and fear of being judged even more. That being said, this is not a contest.
I agree with this. I think it's much tougher for extroverts with SAD. Extroverts really like the social game and would prefer to be in it but the pain of failure is immense. An introvert hates the social game but is often forced to play in it, in order to work, get ahead, make a spouse happy, etc. but they don't know how to play it, feel uncomfortable playing it and don't understand why they have to do it and then when failure does occur they take it pretty bad because introverts are big-time over-analyzers and like to go and hide in the corner when something goes wrong.
Kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Social Group: Madison Social Phobia/Social Anxiety Disorders Group Helena_SAS Wisconsin Groups 21 10-01-2014 07:33 PM
Study on Social anxiety social incompetence and working memory, feedback welcome! Nyes Research Studies, Trials and News 14 10-03-2013 08:09 PM
Social Anxiety and lack of social flow and creating rapport psychosylocibin Coping With Social Anxiety 6 07-07-2013 04:11 PM
Does knowing you have social anxiety actually affect your social anxiety? JayJay Coping With Social Anxiety 43 07-12-2012 02:56 PM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:34 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® ©2000-2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc. User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.