X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 01-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Are you smarter than your parents?

Sometimes my mom will copy what I do, and I think it's because she's insecure about her intelligence. For example, I took an AP Government class in High school and started developing a political opinion. My mom(I don't really think she understood my conversations with her) started reading the New York Times and talked with me about the stuff she was reading.
Not only that, but my parents are really close minded when it comes to certain issues....while I can carry a conversation with my uncle about politics, religion and not get in a huge fight with him.
I think it's only natural that the younger generation is more intelligent because we have technology and ****.
Kathykook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Academically yes I went a lot further in school than my grandmother, I won't even get into my mom she didn't make it past 5th grade in school so it wouldn't be fair to compare my intelligent's level with hers but as far as academics go I went further than my grandma.

Now psychologically she's got me beat, if anyone can mess with my head it's her, she's smart where it really matters in the school of life. If something breaks I'm like a dummy I'm so slow trying to figure out what to do but she's like boom bow I got it, just like that (snaps fingers)
Ironpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

What does technology have to do with intelligence? You're mistaking knowledge for intellect. And no, my parents are pretty smart, at least I get that impression, both professionally and mentally. Sometimes I consider whether I'm smarter than them, but it's irrelevant. Applied knowledge and skills are incomparable to the naivety of youth. That's probably the only reason I even consider it. Besides, anyone who openly seeks to talk about, and in such derogatory terms, how much smarter they are than their parents, is probably a bit too obnoxious to be worth listening to.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Depends on the subject.
someguy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiirby View Post
What does technology have to do with intelligence? You're mistaking knowledge for intellect. And no, my parents are pretty smart, at least I get that impression, both professionally and mentally. Sometimes I consider whether I'm smarter than them, but it's irrelevant. Applied knowledge and skills are incomparable to the naivety of youth. That's probably the only reason I even consider it. Besides, anyone who openly seeks to talk about, and in such derogatory terms, how much smarter they are than their parents, is probably a bit too obnoxious to be worth listening to.
Who let you in? Get back outside, cat
Old 01-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiirby View Post
Very well put (but then you probably know that without me saying it ;-) )

I've never compared my intelligence to my parents. There are some areas I'm more knowledgable, and many where they are. Both are much wiser than, having experience much more than me. I'm far less educated, but don't consider that indicative of intelligence.
AnxiousA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

My mom has a different kind of intelligence. She's good with hands-on stuff, while I excel in academia and appear to lack some common sense and street smarts.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yes, and they would say so.
carambola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

I was trying to relate this to SA. I noticed that most of your parents don't understand your SA, and I was wondering if that was because parents are a little less "aware" of some things.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

My mom definitely understands my SA, she's got extreme SA, my mom exhibits some of the behavior Patterns of someone with SA, grandma how ever knows nothing about Social anxiety, she knows I go to an Anxiety group cause she's aware I have anxiety but she doesn't know it's a social anxiety group.
Ironpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

its not something i personally would try and compair since i could be Academically smarter but still lack so much in experience although mainly i tend to find that my parents are almost stuck in their ways so they apear very close minded.
Beelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

Since IQ is mostly genetics and SOME environmental factors....

not really. In fact I think that my parents are smarter than me, since I really grew up in a less than nurturing environment.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

No, not smarter but I have done more academically because I have had far more opportunity than them. I am very proud of what they have accomplished given the limited choices they had growing up.
alte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

My dad: Yes, My mom: Only in some ways
pehrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

I wouldn't say that I'm necessarily smarter than my parents, but they seem to be sort of inarticulate at times. I don't know if it has to do with their age, or if it is just something I haven't noticed before. They forget words a lot, and stumble over their sentences because of it.

My dad, in particular, can never manage to remember what things are called. He'll make up these stupid nonsense words for everything. Like, "thing-dang-doodle" or "hooby-wooby".

It annoys me so much sometimes, that I'll pretend not to know what he's talking about(even if I do), until he gets the proper words out.
KayStrawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #16 (permalink)

No.
Neptunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #17 (permalink)

In some ways, but not in all ways. They refuse to learn most things. But lately I've realized they were right about a lot of things.
Boring Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #18 (permalink)

I like to think I'm more intelligent than my closed minded mother.
My father on the other hand is partially closed minded, but smart enough to get away with it.

"There have been times when only a hair's-breadth has intervened betwixt myself and the seething devil-ridden world of madness; for the hideous knowledge, the horror- blackened memories which I have carried so long, were never meant to be borne by the human intellect."
~Clark Ashton Smith
Ohhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #19 (permalink)

Yes but I'm guessing it's because my mom only got to the 6th grade and my dad only got to the 5th grade, but they're not too closed minded
FireIsTheCleanser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #20 (permalink)

I feel as if my mom is very close minded, not stupid or anything though. My dad is and always was a smart and free thinking guy.

I'm pretty sure I've inherited my dad's free thinking mind let's just say...
Hopefully one day I'll be as smart of a man as my dad, maybe even smarter.

My ideals and mindset are mine and only mine, no one can influence my thinking, let's just say that.

I'm not sure if I'm smarter then them, but I've got a lot of potential to be.
Marakunda is online now   Reply With Quote