Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Are you a social or asocial person?

2K views 29 replies 29 participants last post by  MrObscura 
#1 ·
Despite having a bad case of SA, when my fight or flight response isn't triggered (it's triggered by certain traumatic memories), I'm actually quite social. I like to talk to people/hang out and I usually find the right things to say. I can read social cues very well and have no problem fitting in. That kind of person that easily strikes up a conversation with a stranger or makes a new friend.

What about all you other people on here? Are there others that feel the same way I do, that behind the symptoms you are very social? Or do you simply feel lost around people/don't enjoy being around others?

#9 ·
I'm similar. It's hard for me to initiate conversations because I get so nervous about saying the right thing but if I'm in a situation where I'm comfortable, I actually enjoy communicating with people.

This post has been deleted
#4 ·
I'm asocial.

When I say something (which I rarely do in the first place), people laugh nervously / look away quickly and pretend they didn't hear me / or they exchange glances like "ok... what is wrong with her?" There is no reason for me to ever open my mouth around people. Not that I'd want to (b/c SA).

I am ugly and due to having a *****face and being very quiet, I am seen as arrogant. Which makes people angry when they see such an ugly girl is so conceited that she thinks she is better than them. This is why I was bullied at school and the bullying diminished my desire for being around people a lot (not that I had a very big desire for that to begin with though)

I also used to dream of being loved by humans/ a human one day, but I'm just not one of them. I've been alone my whole life so I'm used to it. I wouldn't be able to cope with human love tbh.

I used to still be compassionate when I was young, but after making many horrible experiences with humans, I don't care that much about the suffering of them.
Instead of being a human, I would have liked to be an animal (that never comes across a human in their life), or not having been born at all.
As for the benefitting from hurting people... I had actually thought about whether I could hurt people if I could get away without punishment. At the moment the answer is no, but maybe my feelings will change in the future (not that I'd do it then, b/c of the punishment thing).

#5 ·
Introverted, but social...which is why having SA pains me so much. I'm so lonely and have so much I want to say. I so badly want at least a friend or two to share things and goof around with. :sigh

#8 ·
I'd say my innate nature is more social but introverted. I can handle social situations in very small doses. What I like best is small talk -- happens very rarely, but when some random person is polite to me and just shoots the ****, I feel energized. Anymore than that would be too much (I don't really want friends; but I don't hate people either).

#14 ·
I'm quite social, but it depends on my mood and the person. I have to feel comfortable with the people and they have to be talkative aswell. I like to be around people so I do not have to feel alone. On days when I have a low self-esteem I don't want to talk to people at all and just be alone and sad. I think I'm introverted, but every now and then I doubt when I really have a social phase.

#15 ·
I am asocial. Even if I hadn't SA I still would be asocial. I'm bored around people, I find uninteresting and boring 100% of what they say and can't see the time to get back to my nest or go for solitairy activities. People have nothing to offer me and I have nothing to offer to them.

#16 ·
social. pretending to be asocial.

#19 ·
I am really asocial. I have a hard time calling someone a friend because I am very picky on who I want to hang out with. lol like i just finished my first year in college and I requested a single and I got it. The rest of the girls on my floor were trying to be nice but just I did not reciprocate too well. Mainly because they seem like an annoying bunch lol just majority of people annoy me and I can not stand.

I went all year as a loner and I liked it. I talked to no one unless I really have too. I guess I did not care as much because my SO is all i need and we talk/text on the phone 24hrs. But i must admit at times i felt lonely whenever I see something funny because I have no one to share it with lol I just think "normal"/majority people would not understand anyway

Wish I had at least one friend in college though.

#22 ·
I'd call myself semi-social. I like being around my family and I wish I had friends to hang out with instead of being alone all the time. However being around people makes me nervous and clam up and is just such a nerve racking thing that I avoid it like the plague. Is a love-hate relationship.

#26 ·
Definitely asocial. I tend to drift away from gatherings (fleed away again yesterday from acquaintances' invitation), don't care if somebody actually missed me, have a hard time to discuss with people, and neglect any form of relationship.

#28 ·
I think underneath it all I'm quite social, especially if there's a specific topic that I know stuff about that's being discussed. Can't really get beyond superficial relationships with most people though, probably because I feel like such a warped little failure on the inside that I can't imagine why anyone would want to be around me after they got to know me...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.