Are there places that are more tolerant of "weird people" than physical science depar - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 05-07-2011, 07:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Are there places that are more tolerant of "weird people" than physical science depar

Are there places that are more tolerant of "weird people" than physical science departments in universities?
http://www.reddit.com/user/inquilinekea

====

I'm intensely academic+studious but I like to have fun in nonconventional ways. I love all the natural+social sciences and am an astro+physics+math triple major.
ScarletMacaw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Art galleries, artists, ummm. thats all I got for ya. Unfortunately i have found unfriendly people in all walks of life. I think you have to look for individuals who are accepting. There are lots of good people out there. But the art community tends to be more laid back.
Belle Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Do you think physical science departments are very tolerant?
carambola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Computer Science departments, believe me...
TheGambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambit View Post
The only problem is you'd better be "on the ball." From my experience, it is a lot of weird, eccentric types with big egos. Get some terminology wrong, or display other human error (or that you haven't read some man page), and you'll be cut-down and exiled.
CeilingStarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

Not that I know of. From my experience, if it can account for anything, tolerance in the physical sciences department is steadily decreasing for the weird and quirky. It is unfortunate; a sad reality.
Magus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

That's an interesting question. I've found that people in the physical sciences, computer science, or any of the "hard" sciences have not been that tolerant and have been a bit close minded. They may have had unique personalities but many were also egotistical or judgmental but just in a different way. I'm definitely not saying that all people in these fields are like this but just that as a group I never have found them to be generally tolerant.

If you are thinking of tolerance as basic acceptance and openmindness regardless of if someone has different behaviors, interests, perspectives, or comes from a different background then I've personally found that people who have some kind of intercultural communication training and that practice this as part of their job most often have these qualities.
Soulful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Not even the people in Psychology departments are particularly 'tolerant', even though they they should know better.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulful View Post
That's an interesting question. I've found that people in the physical sciences, computer science, or any of the "hard" sciences have not been that tolerant and have been a bit close minded. They may have had unique personalities but many were also egotistical or judgmental but just in a different way. I'm definitely not saying that all people in these fields are like this but just that as a group I never have found them to be generally tolerant.

If you are thinking of tolerance as basic acceptance and openmindness regardless of if someone has different behaviors, interests, perspectives, or comes from a different background then I've personally found that people who have some kind of intercultural communication training and that practice this as part of their job most often have these qualities.
Oh wow, that's such an interesting post. I actually agree with you a lot, ESPECIALLY about mathematics, computer science, and physics. It DOES seem, however, that people in astronomy and earth science departments are MUCH more tolerant than those in other physical science departments (and professors in astro/earth science might be among the most tolerant people on the entire planet). In astronomy/earth science, people aren't such mega-geniuses as to disdain 99% of humanity, but still have a healthy respect for eccentric individuals (especially since eccentric individuals have made their marks in the field - see Fritz Zwicky as an example)

Quote:
The only problem is you'd better be "on the ball." From my experience, it is a lot of weird, eccentric types with big egos. Get some terminology wrong, or display other human error (or that you haven't read some man page), and you'll be cut-down and exiled.
DEFINITELY a very good point - which is why I should have been clearer and mentioned astronomy/earth science departments (unfortunately, no one knows anything about these departments so I had to say straight-up physical science).

===

Quote:
I've personally found that people who have some kind of intercultural communication training and that practice this as part of their job most often have these qualities
Counselors? Anthropologists? Anthropologists in particular since they often have to respect the "weird" and "immoral" habits of different cultures.
http://www.reddit.com/user/inquilinekea

====

I'm intensely academic+studious but I like to have fun in nonconventional ways. I love all the natural+social sciences and am an astro+physics+math triple major.
ScarletMacaw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InquilineKea View Post
Counselors? Anthropologists? Anthropologists in particular since they often have to respect the "weird" and "immoral" habits of different cultures.
Exactly, or even certain social workers and teachers. Many have training which pushes them to challenge their preconceived notions and try to nonjudgmental toward others. To be fair, however, the extent to which they actually apply these principles in their personal interactions is another thing entirely.
Soulful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

Location: Méjico...como una viajera estadounidense en el estado de Jalisco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambit View Post
Lol I hope ur right..this is what I'm going to be majoring in.

Supplements:
1. NOW True Calm Neurotransmitter Support (Removes my blank mind issue; controls my severe adrenaline issue from anxiety; helps me spit out words when confronted by others)
2. Omega-3 (My add on with the True Calm Neuro.)
3.NOW Mood Support & NOW GABA (This sucks. It makes me sleepy.)
OneLove21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenm721 View Post
Lol I hope ur right..this is what I'm going to be majoring in.
You're a girl, so good luck with that.

The most accepting professors I had were in the humanities department. The ones in the sciences were tolerant at best and complete pricks at worst.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

Hi - I'm new here and this thread prompted me to register just to say Ditto to Social Work. I've been around academia all my adult life and the kindest people I've found are in that major. Also, Philosophy and Comparative Religion tend to have open-minded people who are more accepting than most. Hard to get jobs though. Maybe Psychology/Counseling as well.

Other possibilities are Physical or Occupational Therapy - probably to some extent, most medical fields, and there will always be jobs there. Special Education is another choice full of accepting people who don't think everyone should be perfect. Good luck!
Tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:32 PM   #14 (permalink)

If Computer Science majors are douches, I'm in a lot of trouble because thats my major. those type of attitudes really make my SA rise very high. I really dont want to be "shunned" because I dont fit in with them. I'm already shunned from every other group.
and wash the ruins of your life
VivaEmptinessRoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

I think you're going to encounter this attitude anywhere you go. When someone, especially in university, is trying to make a career of their intelligence competition will be fierce. When you're skilled at what you do it breeds a level of confidence that can be outright condescending.

If you can't handle being around those types of people then maybe it's not the place for you. It's a sad truth, but you will be competing with people whose natural aptitudes lie in these fields.

My experience with these types of people has bread a kind of hard-minded steadfastness bordering on stubbornness. So being around their insufferable intolerance can be beneficial.
He also had a condition that was referred to as "granulated eyelids" and it caused him to blink more than usual as if he found creation slightly more than he could accept. ~ The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.
Condottieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:23 PM   #16 (permalink)

I live in a very small, conservative area, and I didn't really even experience much tolerance in the "art" department. I think more of this has to do with where you are, than anything else. If I were in a larger city, it might not matter so much that I deviated from the "norm".
At least that's my hopeful, rose-colored perspective on moving to the 'big city' lol. I might be severely mistaken.
Her lillies, ah! are lost, her vi'lets gone.

- Ovid, Metamorphoses
luctus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:08 AM   #17 (permalink)

Just to add I've been in many of the Artist circles around here, Ones for the elite ones for graffiti and generally artists are highly opinionated and snobs. The only ones that were fun were the graffiti circle they just didn't give a damn about much, Even when I brought in my weird unconventional graffiti pieces they loved it.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:32 AM   #18 (permalink)

You should join the biochemistry department. We have professors who never smile (except at the really random science joke from 1978 , professors with long hair and heavy metal t-shirts that they got from the actual concerts, grad students who walk across the street to the bar and come back blasted, and many foreign people who have not mastered the everyday english language but can explain the energetics of RNA processing.
naokoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:26 AM   #19 (permalink)
Kon

It's a close one between physics and pure maths.
Kon is offline   Reply With Quote