X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 07-23-2006, 09:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anxious people are creative people?

I forgot who mentioned this in here, but it really got me thinking. Anxious people think a lot, maybe too much. But, if we learn to control what goes on in our mind - that is, to filter out all these excessive worries and fears - we will have more room for healthy interpretation and creativity... lots more of it. Anxiety is the great silencer of the creative person.

"We experience a seemingly endless frustration: things never seem to be quite as good as they ought to be. We are never quite satisfied in the moment, never quite fulfilled. We feel that there should be a better life or at least another life than the one we are leading. We may be blaming ourselves or blaming others for our situation.

"It may be that our frustration is not so unnatural or "abnormal." Living in a world driven by pressures to fit in and conform, to obey the rules, yet to be ourselves, to be unique and innovative - no wonder we can feel a profound sense of anxiety. How can we be true to ourselves living in a society that absorbs uniqueness and individuality? How can we fulfill all the demands placed upon us and yet be spontaneous and happy? So our worries may not be so much our fault as our inborn response to the conflicting and contradictory pressures from the world in which we live.

"Perhaps this is the real source of our anxiety and our worry: how to genuinely be ourselves and yet fit ourselves into this world without compromising our ideals or diluting the creative spark at the center of our being. This is our quest - driven by a troubled heart - to find our own unique creative solutions of how to both be ourselves and be in this world."

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:Yb6 ... =clnk&cd=3
If I believe, there is no end.
Restless Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 10:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

I like that; I can relate.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Anxious people are creative people?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly affects all indirectly." MLK Jr.
reticent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default Re: Anxious people are creative people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless Mind
I forgot who mentioned this in here, but it really got me thinking. Anxious people think a lot, maybe too much. But, if we learn to control what goes on in our mind - that is, to filter out all these excessive worries and fears - we will have more room for healthy interpretation and creativity... lots more of it. Anxiety is the great silencer of the creative person.

"We experience a seemingly endless frustration: things never seem to be quite as good as they ought to be. We are never quite satisfied in the moment, never quite fulfilled. We feel that there should be a better life or at least another life than the one we are leading. We may be blaming ourselves or blaming others for our situation.

"It may be that our frustration is not so unnatural or "abnormal." Living in a world driven by pressures to fit in and conform, to obey the rules, yet to be ourselves, to be unique and innovative - no wonder we can feel a profound sense of anxiety. How can we be true to ourselves living in a society that absorbs uniqueness and individuality? How can we fulfill all the demands placed upon us and yet be spontaneous and happy? So our worries may not be so much our fault as our inborn response to the conflicting and contradictory pressures from the world in which we live.

"Perhaps this is the real source of our anxiety and our worry: how to genuinely be ourselves and yet fit ourselves into this world without compromising our ideals or diluting the creative spark at the center of our being. This is our quest - driven by a troubled heart - to find our own unique creative solutions of how to both be ourselves and be in this world."

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:Yb6 ... =clnk&cd=3

Part of the solution that sounds simple but quite difficult when you have lived with alot of negative thoughts. Become your own cheerleader and inspiration when those external sources aren't there. BTW the article was quite interesting.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly affects all indirectly." MLK Jr.
reticent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 12:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default i agree

I agree too, and I am actually the one that brought it up on a different thread how people who struggle with anxiety are supposed to be the most creative. After all, we creative big huge dilemmas out of little tiny things hhaa. But yes, I think you are on to something and I have also read about it before.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm not creative at all.
and i can't escape the fact that i still bleed
ColdFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 02:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

I can relate to that article and your post.