X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 05-02-2008, 04:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anxiety Before Bed

Do any of you guys get real bad anxiety before bed? Lately I have been just fine during the day but getting to sleep has been a huge pain. I just lay there and end up focusing on listening to my heartbeat. Before I know it, my heartbeat is getting faster and faster and I am wide awake. This also gives me anxiety because I start worrying about not getting enough sleep for school the next day. This is so frustrating It is 5 AM and still cannot fall asleep!
Old 05-02-2008, 04:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Anxiety Before Bed

I have only one advice for you: try to get up at specific time everyday. Adjust your body to sleeping pattern.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

I actually sometimes get anxious about the act of falling asleep, my brain thinks "when i fall asleep ill be lying there for 8 hours straight without having any control" . . . its so stupid
hulkamaniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hold your head and legs and arms up until you get exhausted and then let them relax. Sometimes that helps me when I can't sleep. It gets me out of my head and makes me tired.
gozinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Never really happens to me unless I have something big going on the next day.
shyvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

I myself have started sleeping in front of the TV. I can't think straight when I get ready for bed all I can think about is the past 21 years of my life and what I have done with it which is nothing. It wasn't so bad in school for some reason, but now that I don't have school all I think about is the rest of my life and when and if a job or a relationship with someone someday that I will never have unless I change something. I feel so bad sometimes that I need the TV or something to focus on so I can get some sleep.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

This used to happen to me. It used to take an hour for me to fall asleep every night, and sometimes more. Thinking about the sleep I was not getting made me more anxious, too, and aggravated the problem. I stopped having issues with this suddenly a few months ago. I don't know why, but now I can fall asleep with no anxiety within minutes. I guess I don't really know how to help you. Maybe try to set up some sort of routine every night before you go to bed that will signal to your body and mind that it's sleep time. Also, try not to focus on the fact that you're awake and can't sleep. It just makes things worse.

Visit my website:
http://transrevolution.weebly.com
odd_boi_out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyvr6
Never really happens to me unless I have something big going on the next day.
I was just thinking that. Unless I'm dreading something happening the following day, the time I go to bed is probably when my anxiety is at its lowest.

Just Lurking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well on top of everything about not being able to fall asleep last night, I started to worry about my medication. I usually take a .5mg Xanax XR before bed and that usually makes me a little tired. My doc also gave me .25mg Xanax regular pills I can take on top of the .5mg XR ones if things get bad. Even the combination of both pills last night did not help very much. I don't really think this is a tolerance thing because I just started taking the Xanax and I try my best to only take it when needed. I suppose with any drug, if you are gonna get worked up, you are gonna be worked up, unless you are taking a huge dosage of something.

This has to be anxiety related. It didn't start until the beginning of the week when I went to the doctor for a possible kidney infection and he said I should watch my blood pressure. Since then I have checked my blood pressure and it has been normal. I only feel/hear my heartbeat when I lay down to go to sleep and it feels irregular. It's like thump, thump, thump, flutter, thump, thump, thump, flutter, etc. My mom thinks I just need to chill out. She says I've been to the ER/doctor many times in the last couple months(I had tonsillitis twice in the month of Feb.) and if I had some sort of heart problem they would have caught it by now. I mean when I had my last panic attack in March, the EMT's brought one of those little EKG machines and my test came out fine. I need to chill.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yeah I get it bad when I have something going on next day (even just a normal day of work). Listening to music until I'm exhausted keeps me from thinking about it too much--or drinking, or taking herbs to help me sleep.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

Went to the doctor today... Blood pressure is normal, EKG was normal, pulse was normal, doc listened to my heart and it was normal... I need to chill the you know what out
Old 05-02-2008, 11:57 PM   #12 (permalink)

It's the mind. I would fill it with quiet noises like a fan. The hum, the air blowing across the room. Gentle breeze . Claming music or a relaxation tape helps, too .
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
millenniumman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:17 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbit55
Do any of you guys get real bad anxiety before bed? Lately I have been just fine during the day but getting to sleep has been a huge pain. I just lay there and end up focusing on listening to my heartbeat. Before I know it, my heartbeat is getting faster and faster and I am wide awake. This also gives me anxiety because I start worrying about not getting enough sleep for school the next day. This is so frustrating It is 5 AM and still cannot fall asleep!
I have had this exact problem. My Doctor prescribed a beta blocker because of this and some prehypertension. He thought we would try to kill 2 birds with one stone. This was very helpful, it really did address both issues.

Atenolol to be specific. It is the first choice for social anxiety. It stopped that stupid heartbeat pounding in my chest when I lay in bed.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:26 AM   #14 (permalink)

Hmmm... A beta blocker as a sleep aid... I thought they were only for like people who had stage fright and things like that... How would it be any different than a benzo?
Old 05-03-2008, 03:33 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbit55
Hmmm... A beta blocker as a sleep aid... I thought they were only for like people who had stage fright and things like that... How would it be any different than a benzo?
I don't know how it would be different than a benzo.

Beta Blockers block the action of adrenaline. Your pounding heart is fueled by adrenaline. Anxiety by definition is an over-active adrenal response prompting the flight or fight response. The beta blocker blocks this adrenaline, hence your heart isn't jumping out of your chest because of a steady flow of adrenaline. No pounding heart, means not as much worrying about a pounding heart. It is one piece of the puzzle for me.

My Dr. used bi-atheletes as an example. Bi-atheletes cross country ski between targets. They use beta-blockers to keep their pounding heart rate from negatively affecting their shooting.

This is just what I am on and it works good. I also have Paxil, but the Paxil didn't really control the physical symptoms as well as it did the psychological symptoms.

If you want to know more, just ask your Dr. for a professional opinion.