Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Accepting yourself as you are

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  foggydays 
#1 ·
I think most of my recent successes with combating social anxiety have been due to acceptance. I know I'm going to be different, I know I'm going to screw up, and I accept that. Not everyone is going to like me - some people could really hate me, and some could think I'm weird. And it's something that's out of my control; I can't control what they do, but I can just live my life and hope that I make a connection with somebody.

Can anyone relate to this?

#2 ·
I feel the same way. I don't really like how I look and my acne only makes me feel worse. When my acne is really bad I hate leaving the house but my mind eventually learned that no one has ever said anything to me about so it and now I don't freak out as much used to about how I look.

#4 ·
Yes.

I made a post about 20 minutes before you did about this same topic.
That is something I think I have come to realize how important it is.

I have been too hard on myself.
I have expected too much from myself and had not accepted who and what I am.

~~~ Jim

#8 ·
I agree totally with antonina. Acceptance is the key and focusing on the negatives is not helpful. Although having social anxiety is never going to be easy to overcome, what else are we going to do in life other than to try? We don't have a choice about who we are but we do have a choice about those that we make.

#9 ·
I definitely relate. I find that whenever I focus on absolute perfection, I inevitably fail. But I can't be liked by everyone, and I can't avoid mistakes 100% of the time. If I spend all my energy avoiding mistakes and obsessing about what kind of impression I'm making, I won't have any energy left to do things that actually make a positive difference in my quality of life.

Kudos on working to accept yourself as you are.

#10 ·
I think most of my recent successes with combating social anxiety have been due to acceptance. I know I'm going to be different, I know I'm going to screw up, and I accept that. Not everyone is going to like me - some people could really hate me, and some could think I'm weird. And it's something that's out of my control; I can't control what they do, but I can just live my life and hope that I make a connection with somebody.

Can anyone relate to this?
i have found there are two ways the mind interacts with itslef and the world around. one is of aversion and the other acceptance. The totality of all the negative emotions results from an aversion of the mind to some reality it has come upon. The aversion itself is what causes the ngative feelings to arise. The belief that what the seer is looking at is something that causes harm to the seer is where negativity sprouts. The conscious self makes these decisions with itself as if to say the thoughts that occur within the brain are totally real and so a sense of detachment is hard to achieve with the self that resides purely on intuition. Once the intuition has become aware to the seer, thinker, doer, etc. the reality of how things are really occuring on the outside world become apparent. Meaning a sense of perception of how reality works without the attachment of ideas, thoughts, and feelings to objects, people, places, things. Once u can see, taste, hear, smell, feel, think, and do without aversion u truly accept reality and so know how to live harmoniously with yourself and the ideas u possess as well as the people, places and things that u have yet to see, meet, greet, and participate with. i had a morning where i woke up and my intuition was pouring out knowledge, and i was the observer of the intuition by itself. through meditation i have quieted my mind many many different times and have found a great deal of inner peace and strength. If u are fighting somthing in your mind, u, for whatever reason are afraid of it and what it could do. u have to learn to realize that the collective conciousness of who u embody and think u are is not for u to choose. Why would u choose to be anxious all the time in the prescence of other people if u were to truly be someone destined to live a life of SAD? in other words, why would u waste your time orienting yourself as someone who is stuck with SAD forever if u didnt choose to be to begin with? all im saying is why go on with the attitude that u will have SAD forever. i bet alot people currently on SAS will come to find their courage. We all possess the ability to be mentally strong all it takes is someone willing to let go of their fimrly held beliefs for a while. someone willing to change things up, who will find a way to liven up life through whatever means suitable and just to them. everyone with SAD has to realize that inner voice of quit strength reigning within them. We ALL possess it. those that succeed in life only seem to have a better way to deal with their problems and all that it takes for the untrained mind is a new skill. when one doesnt know what to do, one needs to learn a new skill, open up your mind. open it to new things and keep doing it until u realize the power of something new in your life is helping to take some of the power that SAD has over your life away/

#12 ·
I believe that it was someone here who said, "be yourself,not who you want to be". That line has really helped me. I have always wanted to be a different person,not drastically different, but a little better in many ways. When I just accept myself and be myself I have a much more positive experience with lasting positive effects,not the fleeting ones that come with trying to be different (followed by massive letdowns when you can't be that person who was so strong yesterday)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.