Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Internet Talking V Real-life Talking

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  millenniumman75 
#1 ·
Just a little curious if anyone else finds that typing and communication with people on the net is so easy compared to talking to people face to face. Their presence is what makes the difference ? ? Unless you feel anxious about how others will read your thread.

How stressed are you when typing a thread message compared to talking to people ?
:D

#2 ·
There's less to control. No worries about body language, what do with my eyes, my voice, etc. It's also a lot easier to escape if something goes wrong.

#3 ·
I find real-time online chat to be the worst (I seem to be in a minority with that). I prefer being able to read body language and to look into a person's eyes. On MSN, etc., I don't know if the other person is truly interested in chatting or if they're just talking to be polite. I feel like an intrusion.

For the most part, these forums aren't a problem for me because I have time to think before responding.

Oh, and welcome :)

#9 · (Edited)
I find real-time online chat to be the worst (I seem to be in a minority with that).

For the most part, these forums aren't a problem for me because I have time to think before responding.

Oh, and welcome :)
Hi My911GT2993 :wel

yeah forums where you can think/edit/etc not bad. Online chat/IM I am scared to death of. Telephones or emailing in a online dating type situation. Pressure of coming off wrong is a bit much. I guess I care to much but my prob. has always been finding balance/middle ground. I can easily either care to much or just not give a hoot at all. Neither seem to ultimately give the desired long term result I'm after.

#5 ·
I find it easier to talk to ppl irl 'cause i feel in more control, or less not-in-control, of the situation since i know what's going on and for some reason it drives me crazy when i text someone and they dont reply or i give out a long question or statement and i get back a 2-word response.

#6 ·
Hey My911GT2993 :wel

#7 ·
I prefer face to face communication. Something like 90% of communication is done through body language, and when you're talking to someone with text, that's all gone.

Humor/Sarcasm really doesn't transfer well over the internet, either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.