Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Hi! I'm AwkWeird

488 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Ekans 
#1 ·
Hello.
I'm AwkWeird.

I feel dissappointed to myself whenever I hang out with people. I am very quiet because I do not know what to say. Because of that, they think that I do not want their company and aloof.
I even try their interest but it does not excite me at all. I just cannot connect with other people. I am really boring to the point that when I am having conversation with someone one-on-one they unconsciously yawn at my face.

Has anyone experience this and what did you do to not experience it again?

#3 ·
Hello Mr Akweird :)

I think you will find most people with SA can struggle with simple conversation on a regular basis. I guess first thing to realise is that not everyone's interests click, SA or not. Not everyone is going to be interested in the things important to you and you won't find everything they say interesting. Sometimes it feels like conversation, especially with someone you don't know well is a tic tac toe game trying to find a topic you both can feel interested to add to.

It's particularly difficult for people with SA to reveal some personal or potentially embarrassing aspect about themselves that can spur a conversation or help invite the other person to open up in some way. It's also a constant distraction slowing your mind making humour harder and overthinking answers for "safety value".

One thing you can try is to ask a lot of questions, most people like sharing things about themselves as long as you don't corner them into something. So open ended questions are probably the best. As you become more comfortable with the person you can add more about yourself and don't be offended if it's something they skip by, like you, they won't be interested in everything :) it's helped me anyway it's not something I expect to "not experience this again" but it helps deal with the situation :)

I hope that could be a help to you :)

Cheers :)

#5 ·
One thing you can try is to ask a lot of questions, most people like sharing things about themselves as long as you don't corner them into something. So open ended questions are probably the best. As you become more comfortable with the person you can add more about yourself and don't be offended if it's something they skip by, like you, they won't be interested in everything :)
That advice has worked well for me. A socially-confident friend once told me she imagines herself like an interviewer, say Oprah, and finds communication never lags.

And as suggested above, as you get good at interviewing, add in a few anecdotes about yourself. "Interesting you say that because I had something similar happen to me..." etc.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.