What Do You Think Would Make SAS Better? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 329 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

What Do You Think Would Make SAS Better?

After the recent threads about SAS "dying", being too negative or not being supportive enough, I thought it might be time to have a thread where people can say what they think would help make it better.

If everyone did what they could to help and could give some ideas and feedback, it could make SAS the place they would like it to be.

Not all of these have to be answered, and it's okay not to answer any of them. The answers can be as long as you want:

* What do you think would make SAS better?

* What type of threads would you like to see more of?

* What type of threads would you like to see less of?

* What would you change about SAS?

* What do you like least about SAS?

* Which new features would you like to see?

* Do you feel comfortable posting on SAS? If not, why?

* Do you think removing post count either completely or from certain subforums (Just For Fun is an example) would help to make a difference?

* Other thoughts:

--

These are the changes that have been made so far since this thread was created:

* Maximum avatar size increased to 180 x 180 - March 28, 2017.

~*~ ~*~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 329 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 07:12 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
Add more memes for example but famous memes like KTT

Improving...
post #3 of 329 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 07:32 AM
Skyborn

My Mood: Bored

Better moderation with more clear and consistently enforced rules about what can and cannot be posted.
Give priority to topics in subforums geared towards support in the recent discussions box.
Featured discussions, chosen by mods, designed to promote open and reasonable discussion on current events.

Fun threads where the purpose is to laugh. Laughter is the best medicine.

The endless, pointless, basically spam threads about American ****ing politics.

That posts broadly insulting certain groups of people are not punished in the same way others would that insulted different groups of people.

Image board. Chat that works. Subforum for dickpics.

Ignoring the obvious problems with posting in public when suffering anxiety, yes I feel comfortable but I can see why other people wouldn't when you read through some of the things that are posted.

* Do you think removing post count either completely or from certain subforums (Just For Fun is an example) would help to make a difference?

Post count helps spot trolls. Obviously not all trolls have under 10 posts but it's very simple to just ignore someone shouting about the jew apocalypse when they have 2 posts and created their account 10 minutes ago.

* Other thoughts:

More cute anime girls. Free cookies. Cuddles.

Every Night and every Morn Some to Misery are Born.
Every Morn and every Night Some are Born to sweet delight.
Some are Born to sweet delight, Some are Born to Endless Night.
post #4 of 329 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 07:50 AM
Dog Person

I personally would really, really like to see SAS groups improved upon. So many groups are just dead. And it's really hard to figure out certain things, like there's no "easy" way to notify group members of anything, there's no subforum related to SAS groups at all, no obvious dashboard that gives you group notifications or anything, and so therefore I'm not surprised majority of groups are completely inactive. Some groups seem they'd be very very interesting but then the last post is from like, 2013. It's hard to keep groups particularly active. I forget they exist too sometimes.

Hehehehehehe just laughing at how mad some people would be at that

Nah I don't think that's necessary. It's fine :P

* Other thoughts:

I'd really like to curse more

That's all from me. I really have no problems with SAS.

Weekly Drawing (SAS Group)
Join us here
post #5 of 329 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 07:54 AM
I Am Second

My Mood: Sleepy
Hmm idk promoting the egroups would be nice I guess.

~ I may be weak but Your Spirit's strong in me
My flesh may fail, but my God, You never will ~ Elevation Worship
post #6 of 329 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 08:05 AM
Dog Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin001 View Post
Hmm idk promoting the egroups would be nice I guess.
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssss

Weekly Drawing (SAS Group)
Join us here
post #7 of 329 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 08:24 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
After the recent threads about SAS "dying", being too negative or not being supportive enough, I thought it might be time to have a thread where people can say what they think would help make it better.

If everyone did what they could to help and could give some ideas and feedback, it could make SAS the place they would like it to be.

Not all of these have to be answered, and it's okay not to answer any of them. The answers can be as long as you want:

Problem threads or actual discussion regarding SA. Less politics, less games and less random stuff, but more threads actually related to the topic of the forum.

Politics, games. Possibly complain threads with the "I am horrible, and I can't do anything about it but complain", although I understand that those are part of coping, and therefore I don't think they are completely bad. What I have a problem with is one person making multiple threads on the same topic, say "I'm so ugly", sometimes even weekly. Sure, venting and discussing events/thoughts is good, but keep it in one thread for crying out loud.

Generally more visibility to topics regarding SA.

Game threads - sure, they seem fun at first, but eventually they just seem to get spammy and fill the recent discussions section, so you have a harder time seeing threads where actual discussion can happen.

Idk if it's possible, I couldn't find the option, but "blocking" a mass of threads or making more personalized way to see recent discussion according to (see above). I understand that some people do like games etc, but not having to block the threads one at a time would be great.

Sometimes, sometimes not. I guess this is more regarding to sa where things would get too personal so the fear of being recognized hits. So nothing to be done here at least in my opinion.

Could help, could make it show on ones profile page only instead of whenever posting. Or just show it privately (prepare for threads of "how many posts do you have", though)

* Other thoughts:

-

post #8 of 329 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 08:37 AM
I Am Second

My Mood: Sleepy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheism View Post
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssss

~ I may be weak but Your Spirit's strong in me
My flesh may fail, but my God, You never will ~ Elevation Worship
post #9 of 329 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 08:43 AM
culture anarchist

My Mood: Brooding

It would be nice if there were some way to know whether or not anyone finds a post useful/helpful other than by a direct reply. I often feel like it's pointless to try to help, since most of my posts will get no reply; for all I know I'm talking to an empty room. If no one's reading my posts, I'd prefer to use my time in other ways, since my posts often take a long time to write. (I'm sure some other people would like me to use my time some other way, too. Lol.)

I actually don't really feel comfortable posting about most of my serious issues on SAS. For some reason, every time I try to post about something that actually bothers me a fight breaks out. So I just try to help other people instead, or stick to academic conversations.

* Other thoughts

A little silly, but I wish they allowed larger avatar file sizes. I'd love to be able to use gifs like I do on my other forum.

feminized and weaponized
post #10 of 329 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 08:44 AM
The Warrior Kitty-Cat

My Mood: Blah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Memory View Post

* Other thoughts:
I'm totally comfortable posting on here, it is probably their SA that makes them uncomfortable.
post #11 of 329 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 08:47 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Memory View Post
[color=deeppink]After the recent threads about SAS "dying", being too negative or not being supportive enough, I thought it might be time to have a thread where people can say what they think would help make it better.

[b]* What do you think would make SAS better?
This isn't for me personally as I don't think I'm here for the same reason as many people, but I've noticed that some people are still afraid to engage even though it's fairly anonymous and there are lots of people who make threads saying that they need someone to talk to. Maybe these things could be combined in the form of a completely anonymous 1 on 1 chat free of any unique identifiers including usernames. If the 2 random people have a good discussion/experience they're free to identify themselves if they wish, but if they think what they've said was embarrassing or they just want to remain anonymous then they can just close the window and nobody will be any the wiser (unless of course they reveal specific personal details).

I don't know if anyone would actually find this useful but I wouldn't mind receiving anonymous requests while I'm browsing the forums, there are probably others too.

A lack of achievement doesn't necessarily indicate a lack of ability. A lack of ability doesn't necessarily indicate a lack of potential. - LonelyLurker
post #12 of 329 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 08:48 AM
The Warrior Kitty-Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudChaser View Post

Better moderation with more clear and consistently enforced rules about what can and cannot be posted.
Give priority to topics in subforums geared towards support in the recent discussions box.
Featured discussions, chosen by mods, designed to promote open and reasonable discussion on current events.

Fun threads where the purpose is to laugh. Laughter is the best medicine.

The endless, pointless, basically spam threads about American ****ing politics.

That posts broadly insulting certain groups of people are not punished in the same way others would that insulted different groups of people.

Image board. Chat that works. Subforum for dickpics.

Ignoring the obvious problems with posting in public when suffering anxiety, yes I feel comfortable but I can see why other people wouldn't when you read through some of the things that are posted.

Post count helps spot trolls. Obviously not all trolls have under 10 posts but it's very simple to just ignore someone shouting about the jew apocalypse when they have 2 posts and created their account 10 minutes ago.

* Other thoughts:

More cute anime girls. Free cookies. Cuddles.
I can understand why you don't like the American political threads but it has very much affected many people's lives. It has definitely caused me a great amount of stress which directly affects my SA. I think that is what you are seeing on here. I don't want to go into all of it but it has greatly changed my environment. I need a place to talk about this so I would say stay out of the political threads.
post #13 of 329 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 09:00 AM
SAS Member

The threads and posts that basically blame women for all of life's problems. I understand people are going through rough times and need to vent, but the snide, dismissive and nasty posts are not at all supportive to the female posters here.

Also, there are way too many trolls.

I don't feel comfortable posting about dating or being relationship challenged due to male (not all ofc, but still too many) posters belittling my experiences.

I would like this. When I am at a particularly low point, I find it difficult to post in sections other than the Just for Fun section. I still want to be connected here and sometimes Just for Fun answers are all that I can muster. It would be nice to have that small bit of comfort without being cursed at or berated by other posters in that section as has happened in the past. I wouldn't mind seeing the post limit removed altogether.
post #14 of 329 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 09:13 AM
Not dead yet

You should only be allowed to create 1-2 threads per month in S&C. I'm sick of seeing the same 3 guys making dozens of anti-Trump threads every week.
post #15 of 329 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 09:14 AM
Skyborn

My Mood: Bored
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenacat View Post
I can understand why you don't like the American political threads but it has very much affected many people's lives. It has definitely caused me a great amount of stress which directly affects my SA. I think that is what you are seeing on here. I don't want to go into all of it but it has greatly changed my environment. I need a place to talk about this so I would say stay out of the political threads.
I understand that it has an effect on people in different ways, however there really is no way you can argue that 90% of the threads where there is literally just a news article and maybe some kind of comment on how all people in the right wing are nazis are helpful to anyone. It would be very easy to come here and feel like you are unwelcome to ask for advice because of your conservative views which is unfair as we all know that anxiety can effect anyone and everyone is deserving of help.

All the complaining pretty much boils down to one big circlejerk that would be better off in a single thread not several different ones per day.

By all means, if you want to post a thread detailing a policy or an event that causes you anxiety and ask for advice or opinions then feel free but that isn't what the majority of threads do.

Every Night and every Morn Some to Misery are Born.
Every Morn and every Night Some are Born to sweet delight.
Some are Born to sweet delight, Some are Born to Endless Night.
post #16 of 329 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 09:23 AM
SAS Member

-fixing chat so it works normally
-the ability to actually block (they shouldn't be able to visit you, send messages or quote you) people, especially since obvious trolling is not moderated in any way
-less politics (aka trump) - those threads can be interesting and i do read them but not everyone is from the US and seeing multiple trump threads each day gets annoying after a while
-just for fun/games - probably the most pointless part of this site, less of that would be nice
-complaining - obviously the threads in the frustration section. it's usually littered with people who don't want advice or help. a lot of them are often by the same users. i know venting helps but the same user doesn't need to post a new thread about the same topic every day
post #17 of 329 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 09:33 AM
The Warrior Kitty-Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudChaser View Post
I understand that it has an effect on people in different ways, however there really is no way you can argue that 90% of the threads where there is literally just a news article and maybe some kind of comment on how all people in the right wing are nazis are helpful to anyone. It would be very easy to come here and feel like you are unwelcome to ask for advice because of your conservative views which is unfair as we all know that anxiety can effect anyone and everyone is deserving of help.

All the complaining pretty much boils down to one big circlejerk that would be better off in a single thread not several different ones per day.

By all means, if you want to post a thread detailing a policy or an event that causes you anxiety and ask for advice or opinions then feel free but that isn't what the majority of threads do.
It's definitely affected me. I'm not conservative. I live in Texas. People need to discuss what is going on, that is why you see so much of it. Maybe true, it's a circle jerk but when it directly affects your life as much as it has mine-I totally get it.
post #18 of 329 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 09:34 AM
The Warrior Kitty-Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aribeth View Post
You should only be allowed to create 1-2 threads per month in S&C. I'm sick of seeing the same 3 guys making dozens of anti-Trump threads every week.
Lol, true....
post #19 of 329 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 09:35 AM
Don't make me stink

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aribeth View Post
Actually, it's more like every day. I think it would be fair to set the limit at 3 per week. There are plenty of people here who almost never make threads at all and then we have people who abuse it and make 2-3 every day about the same thing.

------------

I have seen one one billionth of everything there is to see and it was all the same.
post #20 of 329 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 09:35 AM
Stop looking at me.

NEW CHAT . I remember chats from 2001 that were better than what this site is offering.

the ability to actually block (they shouldn't be able to visit you, send messages or quote you) people, especially since obvious trolling is not moderated in any way.
When i block someone i don't want to see anything they do on this site.

No more than 2-3 Anti Trump threads a month from the same two guys in the S&C.That Username removed guy and Username removed have ruined the S&C section.
* Other thoughts:
I want to have real gif animation avatars.Now you can only have a 19.5 kb gif animation avatar which is so stupid ,there is no way to have a cool gif avatar that is so small. I would like the maximum size to be at least 70kb.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever."

Last edited by Silent Memory; 02-20-2017 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Two usernames have been removed.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page