So I came across this list of Southern/Slang words... for those of you who are not from the South or rural areas in other parts of the country, have you heard or do you say any of these? To me (grew up in South Carolina) many of these seem very southern, but some I never thought of as being southern. The ones that surprised me are:
- a cleaner version of a well-known, blasphemous expletive
(to) need something like one needs a hole in the head
- obviously you do not need a hole in your head; it's even bad for you. Thus anything you definitely don't need, and that might be detrimental to you in some way is described by this phrase.
poop or get off the pot
(I've always heard it as s*** or get off the pot) - make a decision and take action
- to drive slowly so as to get a good look at a wreck or disabled vehicle on the side of the road. Those who rubber-neck are rubber-neckers.
- affection, as in, "Come here and give me some sugar." (In the context I've always heard it means a kiss.)
- to speak nicely, usually in order to get something you want
(to) think one's s*** don't stink
- to think too highly of oneself