Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Remember your dream upon waking up but gradually forget throughout the day

716 views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Rains 
#1 ·
Does this happen to anyone else? I remember my dreams when I wake up occasionally. I think I only remember when the dream happened right before waking up or if I was in the middle of the dream. Often times these are nightmares or at least disturbing dreams, so I force myself to wake up to escape the torture. Not always though, sometimes it's just because the alarm went off while I was in the middle of a dream.

Anyways, I find that I forget almost all the details throughout the day. Unless I write it down or tell someone about the dream soon after waking up...it all fades.

#3 ·
Exactly the same with me, if I don't take down notes or tell somebody else the dream shortly after awakening, it usually fades, even if it was very detailed/memorable.

Pretty annoying, since I like remembering my dreams, but I'm usually too tired right after waking up to take any notes. :/

#6 ·
I rarely ever remember my dreams and damn sure less and less during the day.

#7 ·
It's normal to forget your dreams. Most people have to write them down if they want them to 'stick'. You can get better at remembering your dreams if you make a point of writing down what you remember as soon as you wake up. I've written down several hundred (or more) dreams. I remember at least parts of dreams most nights now. Tbh, my life would be a lot less interesting/enjoyable if I didn't write them down, even though I have a lot of nightmares. The world feels a lot bigger when you can remember doing all kinds of crazy things outside your house.

#15 ·
Tbh, my life would be a lot less interesting/enjoyable if I didn't write them down, even though I have a lot of nightmares. The world feels a lot bigger when you can remember doing all kinds of crazy things outside your house.
Same here, I like having a memory bank and/or an account of my dreams that I can go back to and "re-live" them, so I've given thought to writing some of them out now.
:agree My real life is so small and dull with no real hope of change or social prospects...even relatively mundane dreams give me something more interesting to look forward to. One reason I hope to get my sleep schedule back to normal after recovery.

I've dreamed some very beautiful locations I wish I could see again. Some dream images have inspired my writing. I've gotten to see pets of mine that have died, and that's helped somewhat with the grief. (I also believe in some psychological symbolism of dreams, though I realize that's not everyone's cup of tea and I tend to get criticized for that so I won't get into it here.)

#9 ·
This happens very often with me. Especially on weekends and/or nights when I sleep particularly deeply. It sucks because even though the sequence of dreams is almost always bizarre and harrowing, waking up from them and realizing that I'm back in real life is always a tremendous letdown.

#12 ·
its normal and I get that too. I have had some dreams where I have remembered then for a long time.

it will depend on what part of.your memory bits of the dream goes ( short term or long term memory)

when you walk into a room for something and forget.... thats short term and totally normal an common. when you remember what you did on holiday 7 years ago.....that's long term memory.

#14 ·
That's normal and it's a good thing, dreams aren't real, you don't want to form memories from them. Your real memories shouldn't be fighting with your dream memories to figure out what the narrative of your life is. Also, I have had some seriously traumatic stuff happen in dreams, and I don't want to keep those memories and emotions into my waking life.

#17 ·
Yes, happened today. I know I was in a car... that's about it. The rest of it's gone even though I remembered it all right after I woke up. I kind of prefer forgetting them though. Not that I get nightmares much, but my dreams are usually vaguely unpleasant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.