Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Overly obsessed with disappointing people

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  laura024 
#1 ·
Anyone else overly obsessed with disappointing people? I am extreme with minor things. Yesterday I promised my father I would be home at 8am to give him a check. I forgot and went to the store instead. He seemed a little put out by it but he was nice. I felt beyond the normal amount of guilt. I was sick to my stomach all day yesterday and had a horrible time sleeping last night. I am like that all the time. If I think someone is unhappy with me for any reason I get physically ill and will worry about it forever!! I know that it is irrational and he probably forgot about it 30 seconds after I said I was sorry. Yet I will obsess over it for days. :sus Yep, I'm a nut case!

#2 ·
You're not a nut case. You worrying about hurting people shows that you're a good person. When you worry, try to block those negative thoughts about disappointing people out. Replace them with positive yet realistic and fair thoughts. An example of this is, "Yeah, I forgot to give him the check, but everyone makes mistakes. Next time I'll make sure to take better care to remember." I know worrying is really difficult not to do, but it's something you can work on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.