just got approved for disability - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Discussion > General Discussion

Reply
Old 05-03-2011, 05:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
 
Status: Permanently Banned
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Central NJ
Gender: Male
Age: 24
Posts: 1,488



Thumbs up just got approved for disability

was wonderin if anybody else had an experience? I didn't even need a lawyer, and the process only took a few months. I live with my dad, so we are concerned i MIGHT NOT GET TOO MUCH....and im thinking of moving into affordable housing or something. Ideally I would like 800-1000 /month from disability since i am unemployed. If I am offered elss than I feel I need, what can i do?
rctriplefresh5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
 
Revenwyn's Avatar
 
Status: MBTI: INFJ Enneagram:4w5
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In an INFJ-ENFP-INTP love triangle
Gender: Female
Age: 31
Posts: 1,983



Default

Good luck.

My husband is on disability... he has lupus, tourette's, autism, bipolar, borderline personality disorder, social anxiety... he gets $674/mo.

Unless you live in a state that adds money to the federal disability rate, that's all you'll likely get too.

I don't have a job either so there's two of us trying to make it on that much.

We live on food pantry... you're not qualified for food stamps if you have disability. Most churches have a food pantry of some sort.

Our housing is $350 a month but this doesn't include our electric bill.

Some things you can do: Use public library internet, or if this isn't possible get a landline and cut your internet to dial up. I know it's tough but it saves a lot of money. Cable will be out of the question unless your dad will pay for stuff like that for you.

We get internet through the local private college who lets us use their public network.

Tip 2: Keep your credit card debts to a bare minimum... you don't want to be saddled down with trying to pay off cards every month. If your dad will help with the cost of anything (none of our family would help us unfortunately) accept that help.

You're not going to get enough to really support the standard of living that most Americans expect. We don't have a texting plan on our one cell phone. It's cheaper than a land line but we have to share the phone between us. That's $50 a month. You will likely need some help with food costs.
Revenwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
 
Status: Permanently Banned
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Central NJ
Gender: Male
Age: 24
Posts: 1,488



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenwyn View Post
Good luck.

My husband is on disability... he has lupus, tourette's, autism, bipolar, borderline personality disorder, social anxiety... he gets $674/mo.

Unless you live in a state that adds money to the federal disability rate, that's all you'll likely get too.

I don't have a job either so there's two of us trying to make it on that much.

We live on food pantry... you're not qualified for food stamps if you have disability. Most churches have a food pantry of some sort.

Our housing is $350 a month but this doesn't include our electric bill.

Some things you can do: Use public library internet, or if this isn't possible get a landline and cut your internet to dial up. I know it's tough but it saves a lot of money. Cable will be out of the question unless your dad will pay for stuff like that for you.

We get internet through the local private college who lets us use their public network.

Tip 2: Keep your credit card debts to a bare minimum... you don't want to be saddled down with trying to pay off cards every month. If your dad will help with the cost of anything (none of our family would help us unfortunately) accept that help.

You're not going to get enough to really support the standard of living that most Americans expect. We don't have a texting plan on our one cell phone. It's cheaper than a land line but we have to share the phone between us. That's $50 a month. You will likely need some help with food costs.
hey, thanks for the reply. I actually intend to only move out of my dad's if the disability will icnreae a lot(although thining of doing it anyway)..my dad pays for everything for me..the reason I am getting disability is because my dad is a single parent, and I want to help him to support me. I have a govt funded cell phone which provides me 250 free minutes per month, and if i get atleast 500 per month from disability it would help a decent amount. Im worried I won't even get that though. we called disability and they said to come in for an interview tomorrow, so they can determine how much they are going to give me!
they said it could be as low as 40 dollars and as high as 705 dollars. I really wish i knew what to say to get 705! i have never held a ob, so ssdi is not in my cards..but if i got 705 it wouldnt be too bad since it's not taxable, and i did not get a lawyer!
Maybe you should apply for disability yourself? Or try to get your husband on ssdi? Or since you aren't on disability you could try food stamps
rctriplefresh5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
 
scarpia's Avatar
 
Status: Almighty
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,931



Default

Is this SSI or SSDI? You don't get much from SSI - I got $500 a month when I was on it. I thought about applying again after I was laid off. I now have a seriously messed up foot. But I managed to get a decent job.
__________________
Kneel before me worms. I am becoming God.
scarpia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
 
Revenwyn's Avatar
 
Status: MBTI: INFJ Enneagram:4w5
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In an INFJ-ENFP-INTP love triangle
Gender: Female
Age: 31
Posts: 1,983



Default

The thing is you're not eligible for SSDI unless you've held down a job for at least six months before. So he's on SSI, medium tier disability payments, although with the addition of three more diagnoses we're going to try to see if we can get on the high tier disability payments.

My husband has never been able to hold down a job that long.

We were denied food stamps where we live because (and this is the official reason) there are too many single mothers with lots of young children who have no form of income who need it. Bullcrap. They have WIC, school lunch programs, free milk programs and a ton of other food programs, most of these young single mothers are morbidly obese, etc.

Basically, the only way I'd be able to get food stamps is if I got pregnant, and we can't. Not that I'd want to put a child through that situation anyway.

Odd there are no cell phone programs where we live.
Revenwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
 
CopadoMexicano's Avatar
 
Status: True Fighter
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: United States Of America
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,898



Default

I got approved for ssi also. didnt need a lawyer i got it for depression, sa, and panic attacks. I get about 650/month and will go up as soon as my cousin doesnt have to pay the property taxes anymore. youre lucky if you get 700 dollars a month at the most. I automatically get medicaid and foodstamps so it depends in what state you live in..
__________________
All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence and than success is sure," Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------
CopadoMexicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Gender: Male
Age: 28
Posts: 3,018



Default

I get SSI but only get $450 a month. NY is cheap on the disabled. I could not live on that low amount, I'm living with my Parents.
keithp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
 
Akane's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: iowa
Gender: Female
Age: 29
Posts: 2,433



Default

I'm assuming you mean the supplemental income program not actual disability. Disability is based on work history and you need to have worked so many quarters in a certain time frame to get it. Work credits earned over your lifetime will determine what you get for money. I'm trying to get my $400/month but we keep running in to paperwork roadblocks and the fact my mom has been lying horribly about work I've done for her and she can't get her story straight. Supplemental income is based on your income or lack of it and "resources" meaning things you own like land, house, etc... and bank accounts.
__________________
tomorrow's another day
And I am not afraid
So bring on the rain

http://www.ladyjayes.com/bringonrain.html
Akane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
 
Status: Swedish Feminist
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: where not all men
Posts: 3,286



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenwyn View Post
most of these young single mothers are morbidly obese
Why poor people are fat.
__________________
]
ohgodits2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
 
Status: Permanently Banned
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Central NJ
Gender: Male
Age: 24
Posts: 1,488



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavenMI6Agent009 View Post
I got approved for ssi also. didnt need a lawyer i got it for depression, sa, and panic attacks. I get about 650/month and will go up as soon as my cousin doesnt have to pay the property taxes anymore. youre lucky if you get 700 dollars a month at the most. I automatically get medicaid and foodstamps so it depends in what state you live in..
so im getting 493/month and two 2000 plus checks of back payments. They told me that If i pay my dad rent i will get the max of 705 so my dad is gonna write up a lease. All my money will go to him anyway since he pays for everything for me as it is. I also get medicaid, so my dad is gonna drop me off of his health plan which will save him a lot of money. Also applied for food stamps, and although the woman thought id get approved,, she said it'd take like 60 days cause they are getting so many requests. she said food stamps are liek 100 bucks only though....i et for like 500 a month.
rctriplefresh5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
 
scarpia's Avatar
 
Status: Almighty
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,931



Default

Hopefully you will have enough money to afford a hooker once in a while. I think the government should issue hooker stamps as well as food stamps. Vote Scarpia for president and make it happen folks!
__________________
Kneel before me worms. I am becoming God.
scarpia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
 
Revenwyn's Avatar
 
Status: MBTI: INFJ Enneagram:4w5
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In an INFJ-ENFP-INTP love triangle
Gender: Female
Age: 31
Posts: 1,983



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpia View Post
Hopefully you will have enough money to afford a hooker once in a while. I think the government should issue hooker stamps as well as food stamps. Vote Scarpia for president and make it happen folks!
This is highly disrespectful to someone who has a disability. It assumes that people with disabilities can never find lasting relationships or marriages.

I am married; my husband is the one with lots of disabilities and he had them prior to our marriage. And he gets quite a bit.
Revenwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
 
Status: Permanently Banned
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Central NJ
Gender: Male
Age: 24
Posts: 1,488



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenwyn View Post
This is highly disrespectful to someone who has a disability. It assumes that people with disabilities can never find lasting relationships or marriages.

I am married; my husband is the one with lots of disabilities and he had them prior to our marriage. And he gets quite a bit.
thats def pretty inspirational to hear that ur husband found a wife. how bad is his autism? Not to be an *** but what attracts you to him?
rctriplefresh5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
 
VanDamMan's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,967



Default

wow, didn't realize it was so low. I know of a website that some good tips on getting disability.

http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/

The have some pieces of advice that might be helpful.
__________________
Beneficiary of 52 infractions and 5 warnings.
VanDamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:45 AM   #15 (permalink)
 
scarpia's Avatar
 
Status: Almighty
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,931



Default

Originally Posted by scarpia
Hopefully you will have enough money to afford a hooker once in a while. I think the government should issue hooker stamps as well as food stamps. Vote Scarpia for president and make it happen folks!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenwyn View Post
This is highly disrespectful to someone who has a disability. It assumes that people with disabilities can never find lasting relationships or marriages.

I am married; my husband is the one with lots of disabilities and he had them prior to our marriage. And he gets quite a bit.
No no no. That's not what I meant. I don't understand why anyone would want to put up with all the bullcrap and head games that go along with dating and mating. I have a lasting relationship - with my cat. I would like to marry her so I can put her on my health insurance, but the big bad government says I can't do that. It's another thing that will change when Scarpia is elected president - marry your pet and put her on your insurance!
__________________
Kneel before me worms. I am becoming God.
scarpia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
 
Status: Permanently Banned
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Central NJ
Gender: Male
Age: 24
Posts: 1,488



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenwyn View Post
The thing is you're not eligible for SSDI unless you've held down a job for at least six months before. So he's on SSI, medium tier disability payments, although with the addition of three more diagnoses we're going to try to see if we can get on the high tier disability payments.

My husband has never been able to hold down a job that long.

We were denied food stamps where we live because (and this is the official reason) there are too many single mothers with lots of young children who have no form of income who need it. Bullcrap. They have WIC, school lunch programs, free milk programs and a ton of other food programs, most of these young single mothers are morbidly obese, etc.

Basically, the only way I'd be able to get food stamps is if I got pregnant, and we can't. Not that I'd want to put a child through that situation anyway.

Odd there are no cell phone programs where we live.
the people at social security told me i could work and earn 700-900 while i receive ssi(just cant have more than 2000 in the bank) im not sure what i received the disability for. i have a herniated disk, chronic headaches, stomach issues all that stuff...but i also applied for my psychiatric issues...but after the physical they cancelled my psychiatric evaluation and said was approved

my question is....if i decide to try working again...and if by some stroke of luck im able to hold this job(i always get fired within days or weeks from jobs for being too slow to learn ****)....can iapply for SSDI?

also it is inspiring to me, that your husband found a wife with all of his disorders. I have trouble with girls myself. Im just curious but how bad is his autism? How bad are his other disorders? What made you attracted to him? Sorry if that's too personal! thanks everyone!
rctriplefresh5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
 
scarpia's Avatar
 
Status: Almighty
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,931



Default

Dude! You don't want a gf. Really. Believe ol' scarpia. You think you want a gf, but you really don't. Ask about the hooker stamps at the welfare office.
__________________
Kneel before me worms. I am becoming God.
scarpia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
 
Status: Permanently Banned
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Central NJ
Gender: Male
Age: 24
Posts: 1,488



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpia View Post
Dude! You don't want a gf. Really. Believe ol' scarpia. You think you want a gf, but you really don't. Ask about the hooker stamps at the welfare office.
i dont want a gf, but id like a random girl to hook up that i dont need to pay.
rctriplefresh5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
 
Revenwyn's Avatar
 
Status: MBTI: INFJ Enneagram:4w5
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In an INFJ-ENFP-INTP love triangle
Gender: Female
Age: 31
Posts: 1,983



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctriplefresh5 View Post
the people at social security told me i could work and earn 700-900 while i receive ssi(just cant have more than 2000 in the bank) im not sure what i received the disability for. i have a herniated disk, chronic headaches, stomach issues all that stuff...but i also applied for my psychiatric issues...but after the physical they cancelled my psychiatric evaluation and said was approved

my question is....if i decide to try working again...and if by some stroke of luck im able to hold this job(i always get fired within days or weeks from jobs for being too slow to learn ****)....can iapply for SSDI?

also it is inspiring to me, that your husband found a wife with all of his disorders. I have trouble with girls myself. Im just curious but how bad is his autism? How bad are his other disorders? What made you attracted to him? Sorry if that's too personal! thanks everyone!

Unfortunately you need to have held down the same job for a period of at least six months to apply for SSDI.

As far as my husband and I are concerned, I just happen to be the sort of person who can handle being in a relationship with someone who is severely disabled. In fact I easily get bored in relationships where the man seems like has everything under control except his sex life. I have a drive to actually be needed since I have so much to give.

He is High Functioning Autistic, has Tourette's syndrome, lupus, borderline personality disorder, bipolar, anxiety attacks, the list goes on. Because of the way his disorders intertwine he has not been able to hold down a job, and thus got SSI on his first try with no lawyer.

He doesn't have many relationships but gives his all to the ones he has. Unlike some autistics he does actually show emotion, but doesn't always know the appropriate displays of emotion for different circumstances. I'll admit, it is hard, but rewarding at the same time. He's not a "project"- far from it.

Initially it was same interests that got us together, and kept us together during four and a half years of long distance.
Revenwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:41 PM   #20 (permalink)
 
Status: Permanently Banned
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Central NJ
Gender: Male
Age: 24
Posts: 1,488



Default

my question was if i got a job while on ssi and held it for 6 months, if id be eligible to ask for ssdi?
and you sound like a good person.
rctriplefresh5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Antidepressant Approved Viibryd! Release date? BearFan Medication 78 12-11-2013 01:36 AM
Oleptro-New drug FDA approved for Depression !! BearFan Medication 15 04-27-2011 06:38 AM
Why is Adderall NOT approved for social anxiety? Raptors Medication 30 03-25-2010 10:57 PM
Why is Cipralex approved and Lexapro not? newboki Medication 10 10-16-2009 01:07 PM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:22 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® ©2000-2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc. User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.