Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

If you could go back in time,what will you tell your younger self?

3K views 46 replies 43 participants last post by  Raeden 
#1 ·
What do you think your younger self will say if he/she were to see you now and see the person he/she(the younger self) grew up to be?

Personally, knowing how lost, depressed and dumb my 15 year old self used to be when I first made this account, I think she will be very surprised and proud to see the person that I have grown up to be. If I could go back in time, I would certainly tell the younger me to not be so sad because one day, everything will be okay the older she gets :smile2:

#3 ·
I'm not sure what I would tell myself, honestly... I don't believe there's anything that I could say that would be able to change the life i've ended up with to be something worth living. She WOULD be very shocked to even look at me, though, because she (/me) grew up believing that she would never be able to transition, and that if she could, she wouldn't look very good... Was very wrong on that.

There WAS one occasion near the start of 2013 that I had a great chance to come out on, though; because I didn't take it, another opportunity (the one that I actually took) didn't pop up until in September 2013. If I would have came out then (near the start of 2013), I could have started transitioning six months sooner... So, if I could tell her anything, it would be to come out whenever you see a possibility to... but, i'm not sure if even that would be a good idea. I believe that my parents accepting me as trans (rather than kicking me out and disowning me, as I believed they would through the first near-19 years of my life) hinged on the years of depression they know I had been suffering but had never known the cause of because I never let them in my heart. If I told her that they would accept her when the time came, I would worry that giving her that piece of hope would end up changing her demeanor enough that her parents wouldn't be desperate enough that they actually accepted her when she eventually told them. That would be a total disaster and just make her life even worse.

#6 ·
To face the challenge of the fear of failure now. That the doubt instilled in me from those I had to look up to were wrong. To cut out toxic family members and friends while I still can for my well-being.

That and many other things would have helped me reach towards what I really wanted at the time. As for the other stuff, I am glad I learned the lessons that I did and I wouldn't be where I am now without those mistakes and hurdles I had to face.

#13 ·
• Take a gap year after high-school. Don't listen to everyone telling you to go even if you have no idea what you want to do.

• During the gap year get a job and use the cash you earn towards a driver's license.

• Don't dismiss trade school as an option.

#14 ·
I would tell myself to get involved in social activities and make a couple of good friends and challenge yourself more.

I really wish I had done those things when I was younger. I think I would be happier now and maybe more comfortable talking to people and being around them. Maybe I would even have some friends.

#15 ·
I would tell my younger self that being a teenager can just really, really suck at times, but it doesn't last forever and to just be strong through it all. I'd tell myself that one day I'd be away from toxic family members and it will all be over with (for the most part). To not put so much value into what everyone says or thinks about me...everyone says things in the heat of the moment or in anger that they don't really mean....don't take all that to heart and play it over and over again in your head. Stop negative self-talk. Don't self-hate, or at least not so goddamned much. Don't self harm. Don't do drugs or drink, especially not to escape the hell that you're in now, because one day it will be over with, and you'll be proud of yourself for getting through it and staying strong.

#16 ·
Personally, knowing how lost, depressed and dumb my 15 year old self used to be when I first made this account, I think she will be very surprised and proud to see the person that I have grown up to be. If I could go back in time, I would certainly tell the younger me to not be so sad because one day, everything will be okay the older she gets :smile2:
Maybe it got better for you , for a lot us it just doesn't get better . A lot of us are in the same position like 4 years ago . There is nothing i can say to my younger self except don't be awkward and weird when you are around people but that just doesn't work now does it .

#17 ·
There are three or four pivotal moments in my life that had fairly bad consequences for me. Altering any of those and I would have ended up vastly different. Of course you never know what those different timelines would have resulted in. I am pretty sure I would have been in a much better position, but much more of an arsehole. Or I could have died :b

#18 ·
To stop being too emotionally attached to things
Become a stronger person & not be a pushover
Be less scared & more braver and to put myself out there (ex. School sports, Martial Arts, etc).

P.S. to my 15 year old self: Get a transfer to another High School ASAP!

#20 ·
Rely on yourself, others will always let you down.

#21 ·
-just do it. just do it. all your fears were and are blown way out of proportion. the longer you put off living your life, you are just making everything 10x harder for yourself in the future. at some point you will come to realize there's nowhere to run and nothing to avoid anymore. and then you will wish you could go back in time and kick the **** out of your teenage self.
-stop intellectualizing and philosophizing so much. you're only fooling yourself, and not for long. do you feel cool? do ya? well, you're a ****in idiot.
-if you can't find self-love and value from within, create it yourself. you'll come to appreciate it so much more.
-it's not about the weight. it never was. so eat, drink, and be merry.
-don't choose your path in the name of practicality, all the while feeling miserable and wanting out. but don't reject practical wisdom just because everyone else is adhering to it, either. you are unique, but like it or not you are still part of the game even if you don't (wish to) play by all the rules.
-you don't need to "come out of your shell", no matter what they tell you. you just need to learn to be comfortable in your shell, and maybe switch a few shells until you find a comfortable one that you can inhabit for life.
-(this bears repeating) you're a ****in idiot. but you're alright, kid.

#22 ·
go into the design field
dont be afraid to feel strongly about things
hold onto the nice people who want to be/remain your friends.. let them know its you and not them
dont let people shame you for being introverted
if you have to choose between a prestigious but toxic workplace and a humbler but pleasant workplace, choose the second
be around people who make you feel good

#23 ·
-Get over her. It is never going to happen and it is just going to bring you down. Instead be on the lookout for other opportunities (there sure were).

-Start practicing bass earlier. You love it now and if you started sooner you would be a much better player right now.

-Don't be ashmed of who you are.

#25 ·
- Put in a better effort in keeping in touch with friends
- Do NOT play World of Warcraft
- Start eating healthier and exercising more earlier
- Really take the time to consider and explore career options and post secondary education
- Get a job earlier
- Learn new skills whenever you can
- Don't be afraid to go out to socialize and make new friends

#26 ·
- You're mentally ill. You have GAD, SAD and are severely depressed. No, not everyone feels that way and is dealing with it better. You know you're not happy. Talk to someone.

- Do not start antidepressants. All the main ones and secondary brands **** with your body in terrible ways.

- Find friends that aren't toxic. You're too nice. You people-please the most ******* people. They use you, and talk **** as soon as you leave the room. Not an exaggeration.

- In your late 20s, people will come in your house. Make sure to load the gun and then shoot him in the face. You'll know who. I know you don't want to hurt anyone, I get it, but you have to. PTSD, anxiety, fear, anger, reclusiveness... Do not let him put his hands on you. Harassment and assaults follow for a long time. Set backs, stagnation and all sorts of things. He's the ring leader of people that will stalk, harass and assault. He's a sociopath. He's a monster. Shoot it in the face. Especially when it smiles.

#30 ·
- You're mentally ill. You have GAD, SAD and are severely depressed. No, not everyone feels that way and is dealing with it better.
I had a similar moment to this about a year ago regarding my (in many ways "invisible") chronic illness, i.e. realizing that I really did feel awful and when others were succeeding at life, it was because that's (rather) easy to do when you are feeling well. Unfortunately, that was during a brief respite, and now I'm back to not doing so well.

#28 ·
I would tell my elementary school self to practice having friends (since friendship seems so much more complicated in adulthood), and my teenage self to date in high school, because women don't stay like high school girls forever (in terms of what kind of relationships they want, their level of experience, personality, and appearance).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.