Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Hit a parked car

980 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  a degree of freedom 
#1 ·
I was pulling into a parking spot when I accidentally hit the side of another car. There was no damage. I contacted the police and they came and said it was fine, but I am still extremely terrified. They got the information they needed (insurance, etc). The driver of the car I hit wasn't there. Why am I so terrified if they said it was ok...

#2 ·
Accidents happen. It's a good thing you owned up and I'm sure the owners are obviously going to be annoyed as anyone would if they got their car hit but it will be fixed so you shouldn't worry.

#4 ·
It's normal to feel anxious about it, even more if it's your first time. Lots of people are like that except that the only difference is that they usually flee the scene. You handled it well and a whole lot better than most people would've.

#5 ·
As long as there's no damage the owner of the other car probably won't even realise it happened

I've only had 1 accident while driving, also in a carpark. I bumped the back of another car while reversing, luckily it was at very low speed, and i only hit the other car's towbar; so the only damage was a minor scratch on my rear bumper

#6 ·
Honestly if I saw no damage and no one came out I probably would've left. I don't think that makes me a bad person. Never had to deal with damage on a parked car, but thought you could leave a note with your insurance information if you can't find the owner?

#7 ·
Really I feel the same way about it. No harm no foul. And if you did cause a scratch or something I think leaving your name, number, insurance info is all that's needed. Calling the police is only good for getting you a reckless driving ticket if there's no other reason for them to be there. Well, that's what I've heard anyway. I've been in a few minor accidents but none where I caused damage to someone else's car.

And maybe it's just me, but it seems parking lots are a good place for things to go wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.