X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Discussion > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2009, 08:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Drowning in your own saliva

I am not kidding about this I am quite serious. Tonight I came close to passing out after I inhaled some saliva right after I had put gum in my mouth. I was to the point of not being able to inhale, making this horrible, strained, inhaling noise. I ultimately recovered from this, of course. But at the time I felt a bit of panic because I seriously could not get enough air, despite coughing. Its more like drowning than choking I guess.

This, sadly, has happened to me a few times in the last few years. WTF is wrong with me? Does this happen to anyone else or is this in the "It Could Only Happen To Penny" file?
WineKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think we can develop these random quirks sometimes. I used to have an unreasonable fear of swallowing my tongue for example. Sometimes I felt like I accidently swallowed it. Another quirk was for awhile I couldn't go anywhere w/ out a bottle of water or I felt I would literally choke on my own saliva, especially when driving in my car. I would have to stop somewhere and get a drink in a panic.

These things come and go with me though. I sometimes get over them for years and then they can return for awhile. Don't know about anyone else.
Halcyon Daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

It sounds scary. I think that if you're airway is not completely blocked, if you are capable of coughing, wheezing, and making some effort to clear your airway then it's not too dangerous, but have you spoken to your doctor about it?
Old 04-27-2009, 12:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

I dont know that my doc can do something about this?

I think I have had about 3 episodes of this in about 4 years...which really isnt a lot but the feeling of not being able to get enough breath is not a good one. I guess it goes in the "It Could Only Happen To Penny" file. I was hoping it would be different but I am not surprised.

I also have a huge fear of swallowing anything but small pills. I damned near choked to death on a few aspirin about 3 years ago while watching that rock version of American Idol starring Dave Navarro...I cannot for the life of me think of the name right now....and since then I find it impossible to swallow any pill that is not coated or very small. I am not sure that there is any relation here but thought it worth mentioning.

But what happened tonight isnt some "fear" thing in as much as it was me inhaling into my lungs saliva (yes I realize how stupid this sounds ). Do I just have super weak lungs? Or would this happen to anyone? Surely I cannot be the only one this has happened to??? Ahhhh....I was afraid I would sound like an idiot posting this and I think I was right.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

I think it happened to me years ago. I was sucking on a jaw breaker and some of the juice went down the wrong pipe. I felt like I couldn't breath for like five seconds and then I started to cough and take short breaths until I recovered from it.
shyvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

It has happened to me many times. What I found to be helpful is to start to breath out of my nose.
yooper: yah
troll: no school, man, it was sweet
yooper: you closed school for three feet of snow?!?!??!?
troll: you like excessive punctuation, don't you?
copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

As for the gum thing, spit before you put gum in your mouth. Not very lady-like, but seems like it would solve that particular problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny View Post
I also have a huge fear of swallowing anything but small pills. I damned near choked to death on a few aspirin
I'm sure you're not the only one. Pharmacies sell pill crushers and various meds like Paxil even come in liquid form, so clearly there are others out there who can't stand to take pills and are forced to take them in liquid form or crush them and sprinkle it on applesauce of something similar to get it down. I regularly end up chewing bars of Xanax when I don't have a drink handy since those 2 mg bars contains 99%+ filler to make them easy to break into fourths if need be, but the elongated candy bar shape makes it feel like it's stuck in my throat if I try to swallow it whole without water. Doesn't taste great, but it's better just to chew them I've found.
UltraShy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

I had tonsilitis this winter and I was drooling so much, I really felt I was going to drown in my own saliva when I went to sleep.

I was drooling a good two cups (500ml) every night for a few days.

Anyways, whenever you have liquids move in to your trachea (the air pipe that leads to your lungs), just breathe slowly through your nose and don't panic because that just tightens you up. Water, or saliva, will clear in some 10 seconds.

The worst experience I had about choking was when I was playing soccer and the ball hit my chest. I couldn't breathe in or out (and it hurt). It felt like forever before I could breathe again, but it was probably close to 30 or 40 seconds.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

You're definitely not the only one, I have done that quite a few times before.
They might be mine
I feel this love
could cross the sand
I want to feel
that way ..."
Dreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

That sounds scary Penny. I'm glad you're OK. I occasionally choke on saliva too. Tea and coffee also.
Amelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

That sounds really scary! I didn't even know the mouth had enough saliva to make you choke.
Freedom2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

It's not just you. I do that all the time. One thing that helps me is to inhale slowly, then cough nice and hard a few times.

FYI, it would take quite a lot of saliva for you to drown in it. The average pair of human lungs holds about 6 liters of air, so you would need to inhale more saliva than you could produce in a week all at once before you'll even be in danger.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

Happens to everyone- just some more than most. It won't kill you, it just doesn't feel nice. So long as you are able to cough when you are choking, you know you are fine. You just have to wait for it to pass...

"I don't wanna be lonely, I just wanna be alone..."
Old 04-27-2009, 10:10 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconic1 View Post

FYI, it would take quite a lot of saliva for you to drown in it. The average pair of human lungs holds about 6 liters of air, so you would need to inhale more saliva than you could produce in a week all at once before you'll even be in danger.
And this is true, you are right. But that said, It's NOT a pleasant feeling!!! I swear I felt like i was gonna pass out and because there were mirrors there I saw that my face was purple.

Well if anything hopefully I wont experience this for another year...and then I will post on it again.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:55 PM   #15 (permalink)

Red face Drowning in your own saliva

Dear Wine Kitty... I am replying to your post because I just did the exact thing you had trouble with. I was actually in a sandwich shop not thirty minutes ago and standing around waiting for the sandwich I ordered.
I basically went to swallow, and some saliva apparently went right down my windpipe and I coughed immediately in a reflexive attempt to clear my airway. This violent cough had the effect of seeming to constrict my throat/air passage and then when immediately trying to breathe in to get air, hardly any air could pass through! Trying to force air into my lungs by inhaling strongly produced this horrible strangling/wheezing noise from my vocal cords I guess, and I started looking around to see if anyone was hearing my distress. So, here is what I did... (because this has happened to me before, maybe 6 or 8 times in the last ten years. The first time was while I was simply taking a swig of coffee while at a photo studio at 2pm in the afternoon. I was horrified and couldn't get any air!!!! The more I coughed and tried to suck in air, the more tightly it seemd my throat was just closing up! I was scared ****less because I thought I was literally going to suffocate to death right in front of shocked onlookers!!!)
All I could do was try to relax and swallow WITHOUT trying to breathe, which is excruciatingly hard to do because I already felt like I was out of air and desperately needed to breathe in!!! So when I did have to breathe in with that raggedy, gasping wheezing noise, the first breath inward hardly let ANY air in at all, but just enough to try to hold steady and force my throat to try to relax again. Then when it felt like I was ready to pass out from no air, I sucked in another ragged, raspy breath, and a tiny bit more air came in. But still, I am looking around thinking I should signal to somebody that I was choking and needed help. This ridiculous scenario is quite embarrassing and seems even more ridiculous because I was reluctant to try to get anyone's help, since I didn't know what they COULD DO anyway! There was no chunk of food lodged for someone to do a Heimlich Maneuver or whatever, but how crazy is it to be literally suffocating in front of people on my own saliva!!!! Also to compound the bizarre and panic-loaded scenario, I was also waiting for someone to finish using the men's restroom... (I had to go pretty badly)...he came out, and even while doing this choking, relaxing my throat and coughing and gagging and repeating all of it, I went in to the bathroom wondering the whole time if I might actually pass out while standing at the urinal!!! I am not joking one bit... the forced relaxing in between breaths gradually started to help and unbelievably I started to get back to normal breathing. But freaked out and slightly shaking, the panic subsided and after coming out of the restroom still coughing and trying to harshly and loudly clear my throat, I was still sheepishly looking around to see if anyone was noticing.
As soon as got back to my office I started Googling around online about choking on saliva to see if anyone else has experienced the same thing.
So far I have not seen any real medical analysis of this and now I wonder if I should go see a doctor. It is positively sheer terror when it happens and I kind of live with some mild fear of when it will happen again. I wonder if maybe the next time, the relaxing of my throat won't work and I will just pass out onto the floor or ground or in my car!!!
I am in good health, 59 years old, pretty active and athletic. I wonder if this is some kind of age thing, but not knowing your age and health, I don't know. It sounds like exactly the same thing. I think the gum thing has happend also to me before. Kind of like an unusual, quick build-up of saliva can trigger it. Please fire back any other thoughts you have about this, because you are NOT ALONE and I want to find out WTF is wrong with me also!!! Perry in Boulder, CO.
spookythelovebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:24 AM   #16 (permalink)

Default It happens to me too

I've been searching the internet for a couple of years and finally found someone that knows what I go through. It actually brought tears to my eyes - that there ARE others that this happens to. This is such a frustrating thing. I wonder if there is a medical name for it?

I wish I could figure out how for this to never happen to me again. It happened again this morning and it is soooo scary.

Joanne
jmfrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:30 AM   #17 (permalink)

I have done this plenty of times. I learned to start breathing through my nose when it happens or I will choke. This reminds me of the movie Micheal when the character that Jean Stapleton plays would go into bad coughing fits and then just put her head down in her lap to think about her death. Then one day she had a coughing fit and ended up dying. That is probably going to happen to me one of these days. I will suck some saliva in and end up dying.
yooper: yah
troll: no school, man, it was sweet
yooper: you closed school for three feet of snow?!?!??!?
troll: you like excessive punctuation, don't you?
copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:55 AM   #18 (permalink)

It could be a winter thing.
It's dry bad bad bad here in the winter - drool happens.
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
millenniumman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:33 AM   #19 (permalink)

For me, it happens any time of year, any time of the day, and a lot of times when I am not eating or drinking anything. Like this morning, I was making coffee when BAM!

Joanne
jmfrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:09 PM   #20 (permalink)

One time a few years ago, I was drinking a cup of Vault soda, while riding a bicycle. I took a big gulp of soda, and instead of swallowing it, I inhaled it. I fell of the bike, and was lying on the ground curled up in a ball coughing for a few min. I don't ever want to do that again.
Cedilla is offline   Reply With Quote