X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Discussion > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2007, 08:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Can you re-freeze thawed microwavable dinners?

I already know the answer to this question but I just want to double check....My mother has this ridiculously tiny freezer and always buys too much frozen goods when she goes shopping...So the stuff that can't fit in the freezer sits in the refrigerator for a day or two completely thawing...And then when there is room, back in the freezer it goes again...Even I know this crazy for taste reasons and sanitary/health concerns...Once something thaws, you never re-freeze it I assume? I have even seen her go so far (albeit extremely rarely) to put cooked microwave dinners back in the freezer!
But mainly I am interested here in microwavable frozen vegetable dinners, TV dinners etc....Once you bring it home from the supermarket, it defrosts completely in a refrigerator for one or two days, am I correct in assuming that you should not put these microwavable dinners back in the freezer to AGAIN re-freeze? I want to make sure my facts are straight, before I tell her to stop doing this...

Everytown is a movement of Americans working together to end gun violence and build safer communities. Gun violence touches every town in America. For too long, change has been thwarted by the Washington gun lobby and by leaders who refuse to take common-sense steps that will save lives.

http://everytown.org/who-we-are/
WinterDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 08:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Can you re-freeze thawed microwavable dinners?

I think as long as you thoroughly cook the food it doesn't matter if you refreeze it, even meat. But you must make sure it is cooked properly, piping super hot, not just "hot enough to eat".

Refreezing does degrade the quality of the product, each freeze destroys cell membranes causing the food to become squidgy.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 12:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

From the USDA website

Quote:
Refreezing
Once food is thawed in the refrigerator, it is safe to refreeze it without cooking, although there may be a loss of quality due to the moisture lost through defrosting. After cooking raw foods which were previously frozen, it is safe to freeze the cooked foods. If previously cooked foods are thawed in the refrigerator, you may refreeze the unused portion.
If you purchase previously frozen meat, poultry or fish at a retail store, you can refreeze if it has been handled properly.
WineKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 12:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks Penny, I guess that answers the question...I always thought the opposite....

Everytown is a movement of Americans working together to end gun violence and build safer communities. Gun violence touches every town in America. For too long, change has been thwarted by the Washington gun lobby and by leaders who refuse to take common-sense steps that will save lives.

http://everytown.org/who-we-are/
WinterDave is online now   Reply With Quote