X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Discussion > General Discussion

Old 07-02-2010, 05:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default An Illinois Town with a Missouri Zipcode

I was watching a show on the History Channel and they had an interesting story about a town called Kaskaskia, IL. It is the only town in Illinois west of the Mississippi River. It used to be east of the river like the rest of Illinois (and was even its capital!), but then a flood re-routed the Mississippi east of the town. Now, Kaskaskia is all alone as the only Illinois town west of the Mississippi. The residents (all 9 of them) have a Missouri zipcode.

Here is a map of where the town is: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,1.454315&z=10
Old 07-02-2010, 06:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Thats really cool i love the history channel now i have a new fact in my arsenal of random facts.

"The greatest misery in adverse fortune is once to have been happy" -Boethius

"The only thing that i know is that I know nothing"- Socrates
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Interesting. That's kind of like the horseshoe in the Mississippi River near New Madrid, MO, where the land inside the horseshoe is part of Kentucky, but it is detached from the rest of the state and is only accessible (by land) through Tennessee.

I went to the Cincinnati Reds game against the Kansas City Royals with a friend and he commented how it was odd that a state with a sparse population like Kansas has a baseball team. I informed him that the Kansas City Royals are in Kansas City, MO, not Kansas City, KS. He was dumbfounded that they would call a town in Missouri Kansas City. He was even more dumbfounded when he realized Missouri had two baseball teams (the St. Louis Cardinals being the other).

What was formerly known as The Greater Cincinnati International Airport is actually located not in Cincinnati, OH, but in Hebron, KY. Due to the large amount of confusion this caused with travelers, they changed the name to the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport. I think a lot of people are still confused as to what state they are in when they land.

The New York Jets and New York Giants football teams actually play in New Jersey. Recently, the city of East Rutherford, NJ was the only city with less than 10,000 residents to host five professional sports franchises (the aforementioned Jets and Giants, the NJ Nets basketball team, the NJ Devils hockey team, and the New York Red Bulls soccer team). With the closing of the old Meadowlands sports complex this year, the Nets, Devils, and Red Bulls have relocated to other cities.
Jnmcda0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

They also talked about the Haskell Free Library and Opera House which sits on the international border between the US and Canada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haskell...nd_Opera_House

Some guy in the VT town was complaining security has gotten so strict it takes him about 2 hours to do a favor for a neighbor because he has to go through border patrol to cross the line
Old 07-02-2010, 06:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Very interesting. I heard there was a town in Kentucky that does not set their clocks forward/backward in the spring and fall . I thought that was quite interesting, the town never has done it (banks, gov't building etc.).
Glacial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saving Face View Post
Very interesting. I heard there was a town in Kentucky that does not set their clocks forward/backward in the spring and fall . I thought that was quite interesting, the town never has done it (banks, gov't building etc.).
Until recently, a large part of Indiana didn't observe daylight savings time and I never knew what time it was when I went there. In some towns it would be one time, in other towns it would be another. This, coupled with the two time zones (Eastern and Central) always left me really confused. Finally, the whole state adopted daylight savings time a few years ago.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnmcda0 View Post
Until recently, a large part of Indiana didn't observe daylight savings time and I never knew what time it was when I went there. In some towns it would be one time, in other towns it would be another. This, coupled with the two time zones (Eastern and Central) always left me really confused. During daylight savings time (dst), you would have counties in the Eastern time zone that did not observed dst and counties in the Central time zone that did oberve it, leaving a 2 hour time difference (sometimes there was a two hour time difference between counties only about 50 miles apart). Finally, the whole state adopted daylight savings time a few years ago.
I see you're from KY. The specific part I was referring to is Monticello. I have family there and in Corbin.
Glacial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saving Face View Post
I see you're from KY. The specific part I was referring to is Monticello. I have family there and in Corbin.
I've been to Monticello several times (when visiting Lake Cumberland). I never knew they didn't observe daylight savings time, though. Interesting.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
What was formerly known as The Greater Cincinnati International Airport is actually located not in Cincinnati, OH, but in Hebron, KY. Due to the large amount of confusion this caused with travelers, they changed the name to the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport. I think a lot of people are still confused as to what state they are in when they land.
....and the airport/weather code for this airport is (K)CVG, named for Covington, Kentucky - a city several miles away from Hebron!

I have a similar issue with the airport near me, but it's county/city lines, not state-oriented.
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
millenniumman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Until recently, a large part of Indiana didn't observe daylight savings time and I never knew what time it was when I went there. In some towns it would be one time, in other towns it would be another. This, coupled with the two time zones (Eastern and Central) always left me really confused. Finally, the whole state adopted daylight savings time a few years ago.
All but the extreme northwest (Gary/Hammond) and southwest (Evansville/Vincennes) are in Eastern Time Zone, but never changed their clocks. During the Summer they remained with Central Time (Chicago) for DST, and during the winter, they were with Eastern (Cincinnati).
My stepmom and grandmother in northern Indiana found it odd that the sun wouldn't go down until 9:30pm and would remain bright until just after 10pm. It was always an hour earlier in the past.

Arizona and Hawaii still do not change their clocks.
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
millenniumman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:26 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysOnTheOutside View Post
I was watching a show on the History Channel and they had an interesting story about a town called Kaskaskia, IL. It is the only town in Illinois west of the Mississippi River. It used to be east of the river like the rest of Illinois (and was even its capital!), but then a flood re-routed the Mississippi east of the town. Now, Kaskaskia is all alone as the only Illinois town west of the Mississippi. The residents (all 9 of them) have a Missouri zipcode.
"How The States Got Their Shapes". I watched this show too, it had a lot of interesting facts.
fern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

This is why rivers make terrible borders.
And that bagel is stale,
So pass the cottage cheese.
I'm a rock climber.
If rocks are gentle slopes.
Chicken nuggets reside inside
of me.
danberado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Thats really cool i love the history channel now i have a new fact in my arsenal of random facts.
I LIKE THC. Love is a word I reserve for things that hit more than a few nails right on the head. THC has way too much of that UFO garbage on there. And that Ice Road Truckers show is just stupid. And the Gangland thing is just mindlessly off topic. It might be a good show on a different channel.

I do LOVE Pawn Stars and Pickers and THC does have some very good shows on sometimes.
PickleNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:22 AM   #14 (permalink)

00000?

only joking.

You can rebuild your self-esteem. Rebuild it into a way that others cannot destroy it anymore.
leonardess is offline   Reply With Quote