America's Best Place to Avoid Death Due to Natural Disaster - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Discussion > General Discussion

Old 03-14-2011, 04:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default America's Best Place to Avoid Death Due to Natural Disaster

Thinking about the earthquake/tsunami in Japan reminded me of this. According to this article from a few years ago (written in light of Hurricane Katrina), I live in the safest county in the U.S. in terms of immunity from natural disasters:

http://www.slate.com/id/2126321/

Quote:
After much debate, then, we settled on Slate's "America's Best Place to Avoid Death Due to Natural Disaster": the area in and around Storrs, Conn., home to the University of Connecticut. It lies in Tolland County, which was not part of the 1999 federal disaster declaration for Tropical Storm Floyd. It's a safe 50 miles from the sound and not close to any rivers. It also has relatively easy access to a major city (Hartford) in the event an evacuation or hospitalization becomes necessary.
Of course, that's just the U.S. It makes me curious how my area would rate on a worldwide scale.
anonymid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have never lived in a 'dangerous' area either. I lived above flood level in MI and OH, but there have been a small number of tornadoes. In AZ, I doubt there are any natural disasters that would be really bad.
Classified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Never had any kind of serious natural disaster here in South London. No matter how much it rains, it never floods (except from big puddles around blocked drains) and in the last few decades we've only had one earthquake that most people didn't even feel, and 2 "big" storms (1987 and 1990) that did little more than knock down a few trees in my town, and smash a bunch of windows/scaffolding in a neighbouring town.

On the downside, we have mediocre weather 90% of the year.
Duke of Prunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Drought is my only threat.
CeilingStarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

stuff rarely happens in the toronto area. snowstorms dont' count, as much as they're overblown by the media the most we get during a "storm" is like 1 foot, max.

we had a tornado here a couple years ago but it was pretty minor (compared to the prairies/midwest)
purplefruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Is'nt there a place in USA called Almost Heaven were they have the least amount of natural disaster and other problems like crime ect.???
angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

mid-Michigan is pretty great. No ocean-inspired storms, no big (or even moderate) tornadoes, flooding is extremely rare in my town (we have never had water level rise higher than anything other than basements near the river), most of the state has miles of sand and clay underneath- on the rare occasion when we've had an earthquake that measured a 5 on the richter scale, it wasn't even able to be felt by the time it hit the surface. Probably the only weather related death you can have here is driving on icy roads.
Charizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

I live oceanside and under a huge fault line that hasn't moved in a bagillion years.

I am so doomed. I quite seriously expect to die in some sort of natural disaster some day.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:08 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectionist View Post
I live oceanside and under a huge fault line that hasn't moved in a bagillion years.

I am so doomed. I quite seriously expect to die in some sort of natural disaster some day.
There was just a small Earthquake in North-East Australia... the fault line is a long way out to sea... but close to the Japan fault line I guess. People were shocked because this never happens.

I'd be worried if I lived directly on any sort of fault line in this current climate too. Well, I probably wouldn't be worried, but I'd expect some **** to go down soon.
CeilingStarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

Already stayed through Katrina, not worried about too much else after that.
I don't think anywhere in united states safe , if that Yellowstone super volcano erupt the u.s is ****ed lol.
successful is offline   Reply With Quote