X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Discussion > General Discussion

Old 12-29-2008, 10:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default A question about Antihistamines???

I have been taking Antihistamines for the last few days for a cold. It is unbelievable how different they make me feel. My emotions and thoughts are always all over the place. With Antihistamines I feel very calm and my thoughts are much more focused and sharper. My mood is calm and as weird as it sounds my mind feels snug and safe. I wonder if this is how most people without SA feel the majority of the time. I'm wondering if this provides a chemical that my brain is lacking? Also,for those of you who have taken benzos does this sound similiar to what you have experienced??
Still Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Most antihistamines provide a sedative effect, which can calm you down but usually makes you feel drowsy. Many of them have also been shown to provide mild SSRI/SNRI effects. There was a study done on 7 panic atack patients and most of them got relife from an OTC antihistamine. The original study that found the SSRI properties of some antihistamines showed Chlorpheniramine had the strongest effects but that study is from the 60's so the more current antihistamines may be different. Benadryl is also one of the antihistamines found to have SSRI properties as well. I tried chlorpheniramine for a couple months but it didn't help but then again neither do SSRI's for me. But since it's only been a couple days it's probably not the SSRI effects but the sedative effects of the antihistamine.
livingnsilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

A lot of the OTC sleeping pills have antihistamines in them. I occasionally take Benydryl to get to sleep. That stuff knocks me out about 20 minutes after I take it. The only problem with it is it gives me a bad hangover the next day.
yooper: yah
troll: no school, man, it was sweet
yooper: you closed school for three feet of snow?!?!??!?
troll: you like excessive punctuation, don't you?
copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Interesting, as antihistamines are sometimes used to treat inner ear dysfunctions which some claim can cause anxiety, phobias, dizziness, vertigo,motion sickness and feelings of imbalance, feeling unstable etc. Do you tend to get motion sickness?
sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sprinter- Yes,I do get motion sickness.-Even on a very calm plane trip-I feel sick and almost always throwup.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

They absolutely have that effect on me. I remember noticing it in high school when I would occasionally take some if I didn't feel so hot. I feel very relaxed and carefree if I take something like benadryl or even dayquil, though undoubtedly drowsy.
CrumbsInTheBed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter View Post
Interesting, as antihistamines are sometimes used to treat inner ear dysfunctions which some claim can cause anxiety, phobias, dizziness, vertigo,motion sickness and feelings of imbalance, feeling unstable etc. Do you tend to get motion sickness?
Benydryl screws up my balance. When I take it I make sure I can stay in bed for at least 7 hours.
yooper: yah
troll: no school, man, it was sweet
yooper: you closed school for three feet of snow?!?!??!?
troll: you like excessive punctuation, don't you?
copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Before I got into drugs and alcohol I would take antihistamines and they would have a stupendous effect on my cns. I'm still floored by the sedation but now it's just an overall tired feeling, taking them used to give me a completely different conciousness of the world.

I tried taking them for about 2 weeks for the SSNRI effect but couldn't handle it, I got suicidal depressed I feel a lot better without them now. I can see why they aren't marketed.

I've come to the conclusion that SSRIS are mostly garbage unless you have an actual chemical imbalance, it's a shame that most doctors throw this cra* at their patients when stuff that actually works like benzos is vilified.

Benzos didn't work for me either though and I hate the effects of them, i'm just saying for most people they are actually more usefull than SSRIS.
screwjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Antihistamines knock me out. I'll fall asleep for three hours or more. They're almost pointless for me to take, since I'll sleep through the entire time they're supposed to be working.

I've got a cold right now and I only took half the recommended dose and they're not working at all.

Have a nice day,
Kelly
Old 12-29-2008, 11:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Benadryl makes me trip balls. I hallucinate within an hour or so of taking it, and I get all sorts of random panic symptoms as well.
sanspants08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:27 AM   #11 (permalink)

Back when "non-sedating" antihistamines were introduced they were considered some wondrous new development. To me it meant nothing, since to me all antihistamines are non-sedating. I could eat a pile of benadryl and still be fully awake (and it can't be from building up a tolerance since I almost never use allergy pills -- they're almost certain to expire in a few years before I have a chance to use a whole bottle).

Unisom comes in two types: one that contains Benadryl and the more potent one that contains doxylamine -- a antihistamine that is supposed to be even more sedating, though not as effective on allergies as Benadryl.
UltraShy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:30 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
I've got a cold right now and I only took half the recommended dose and they're not working at all.
How are the antihistamines commonly found in multi-drug cold remedies supposed to help? A cold isn't an allergy. Other than helping knock you out so you can sleep with your cold I don't see how they'd help.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:56 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy View Post
How are the antihistamines commonly found in multi-drug cold remedies supposed to help? A cold isn't an allergy. Other than helping knock you out so you can sleep with your cold I don't see how they'd help.
I don't know. I'm at my mom's. It's what she had, so it's what I took. It seemed to fit the symptoms: sneezing, itchy, watery eyes, etc.

Have a nice day,
Kelly
Old 12-30-2008, 09:15 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy View Post

antihistamines are noutorius for drying out mucus membranes. During a cold many of the symptoms are caused or enhanced by excess mucus. Example a cough could be caused by excess mucus in the airways or mucus drainage from the nasal area, a runny nose is because of excess watery mucus in the nose, ect. The antihistamines dry up much of the mucus releaving the symptoms.
livingnsilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingnsilence View Post
antihistamines are noutorius for drying out mucus membranes.
My nose is like a faucet of snot 24/7/365 and when I get a cold then it runs full force like an open fire hydrant. Antihistamines don't do it for me, perhaps because I probably produce more mucus than 99%+ of the population. The only drug I've found that actually stops my runny nose is a nasal spray called Atrovent (ipratropium) -- it's a prescription and it REALLY works. I have to use it at least a couple times every day to keep my nose under control. Steroid sprays like Flonase, despite their claims, don't help my runny nose at all. This is the highest of praise from a man who describes most drugs as garbage.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:53 PM   #16 (permalink)

I like my antihistamine, Hydroxyzine
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Quitting while you are ahead isn't the same thing as quitting; lesser known fact
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:11 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspants08 View Post
Benadryl makes me trip balls. I hallucinate within an hour or so of taking it, and I get all sorts of random panic symptoms as well.
either your really sensitive 2 medicine or u took way 2 much on purpose
Kush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #18 (permalink)

Very old thread.. But is there a danger
from taking these for anxiety? I'm considering it.
They work wonders, antihistamines.
Like Benadryl.
-Aristotle
flykiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykiwi View Post
Very old thread.. But is there a danger
from taking these for anxiety? I'm considering it.
They work wonders, antihistamines.
Like Benadryl.
You build up a tolerance very quickly. I tried increasing the dose but ended up feeling awful,like I wanted to jump out of my skin - I'll never do that again! I do occasionally take them and as long as I don't take them too frequently,they work somewhat? Or,maybe it's just a placebo effect,not sure. Too bad,as it's the calmest and most centered I've ever felt.

"Never try to appear to be more than you are but always try to be more than you appear."
Old 05-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Waters View Post
You build up a tolerance very quickly. I tried increasing the dose but ended up feeling awful,like I wanted to jump out of my skin - I'll never do that again! I do occasionally take them and as long as I don't take them too frequently,they work somewhat? Or,maybe it's just a placebo effect,not sure. Too bad,as it's the calmest and most centered I've ever felt.
yeah :/ I took one yesterday because I have a cold..
and I was social the whole day..looking people in the eyes..
was not scared at all! I like that person I become..
What medication are you on if you take anything to help?
-Aristotle
flykiwi is offline   Reply With Quote