Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Star Wars: Ep. VII - The Force Awakens

12K views 251 replies 59 participants last post by  Hank Scorpio 
#1 ·
Can't believe this isn't a thread yet. I know there's nerds on this site I mean, come on! Heh.

Other than the famous characters/cast returning, I'm excited for the new cast.

Oscar Isaacs as Poe, Daisy Ridley as Rey, and John Boyega as Finn.

Adam Driver as Kylo Ren. One of the Knights of Ren. Kind of a Dark Side Roundtable cult, I'm assuming. Which I think will be an interesting inclusion, being that other than westerns being an influence on Star Wars, samurai flicks were. So having samurai themes and medieval knight like themes clashing could be a cool dynamic.

I think this could be an all-around great direction for the universe and the films.

In case you've been under a rock...

New trailer is supposedly coming out soon. Can't wait to see what it'll reveal to this cloaked plot.

So, where's the Star Wars fans at? Excited or reserved for the 7th installment? Thoughts? (Awaits non-Star Wars fans to come in and say, "Star Wars sucks!" Not adding anything to the convo. Lol.)

See less See more
1 2
#2 ·
I wouldn't call myself a nerd but I love Star Wars. Very excited for the 7th movie.

#4 ·
That's cool. Lots of people are movie lovers in general. Which you could argue is a nerdy thing, though.

I hope to see it before Christmas. It'd be a great, early present.

This is the first movie ive ever been hyped for. If it disregards the Prequels though then I will disregard it.
They're not. Though they may be pretty low-key about specifics of Episodes I-III. Wouldn't surprise me. But why would you disregard them? Prequel trilogy was pretty rough around the edges. Also, while vague about plot and the event therein, it seems to me it'll be heavy on the riffs of Episode IV-VI.

#5 ·
Yeah I'm pretty excited for this, returning cast from the originals, cool story, the fact they are using props and not doing everything in CGI, it all adds up towards a masterpiece, I hope.

#6 ·
Exactly. Actual sets and props, as well as prosthetics and makeup for creature making. No cold CGI, like with the prequels. It's positively adding up in the best way.

Simon Pegg has a bit part. Like an alien extra. Which makes me additionally hopeful because he really didn't like the prequels and here he wants be a part of this one. It's reassuring.

#8 ·
I'm excited for this. I haven't read any star wars books though and I'm not familiar with any of the expanded universe, my star wars knowledge is limited to the movies and KOTOR.

#9 ·
I'm excited for this. I haven't read any star wars books though and I'm not familiar with any of the expanded universe, my star wars knowledge is limited to the movies and KOTOR.
The expanded universe has been reset, basically. Even Lucas never excepted things, even though the writers and creators of the expanded universe were good at keeping continuity correct. Save most of the video games, that is. But yea, Star Wars: Rebels, the new wave of Marvel comics, and Episode I-VI are the only things considered canon as of now. Sorry if that burst your bubble. It's deflating to a lot of fans.

The Force Doesn't sleep
I doubt Thrawn will see the light of day. Not to be a downer.

This post has been deleted
#11 ·
Here's some fun theories.

I saw this video last week and a lot of the comments wonder if this was milestone in The Force Awakens coming to be. Fun to speculate.

#20 ·
You could relegate them to alt-universe/timelines. I know it's tough to take in with them dismissing the expanded universe in a big way, but ironically it seems to be their own expanded universe, as opposed to just the movies.

#21 ·

Also, if you've not seen Attack the Block, watch it for October. Perfect.

Seems Harrison Ford is back in full swing of his early career. Ridley Scott has him set for a Blade Runner sequel.

#32 ·
Seems Harrison Ford is back in full swing of his early career. Ridley Scott has him set for a Blade Runner sequel.
It would (I guess) be interesting if they could actually make something out of Blade Runner I actually like. I never cared for the original at all and I just didn't get the hype.

It usually worries me when they start messing with classic movies that were actually really good but I didn't like Blade Runner.

#22 ·
It will be a rubbish movie,of that there can be no doubt but maybe I'll watch it just because it will be an event

#23 ·
I don't think it'll be rubbish. How can you say that? Hasn't come out yet. Also, it may not be better than original trilogy stuff, but as long as its fun and interesting then it'll entertain. Glass half full, man.

#27 ·
I'd love to be like Simon Pegg and just be a random extra in Star Wars Ep. VII. He's like a big yeti alien on some planet. It'd be cool. He and Frost were also zombies in Land of the Dead. I'd love to be a zombie in The Walking Dead or, if Romero makes an more zombie flicks, a zombie in a Romero film.

Because it's a big budget blockbuster. Ever since the late 70s/early 80s,directors are not given the free reign they once had over big budget movies. Let's just say - don't expect it to be taking any risks...
You have a point. Risk taking goes out the window. BUT... If it wasn't for the studio scrambling to fix Lucas' mistakes on the first film with editing and score, the movie would've been a mess. Give him the man free range and surround him with yes men and yes women, we get the prequels. So I think there's a balance. Actors and Abrams have even mentioned how Disney is letting them do their own thing. I know that's said a lot in interviews to certain franchises, but it seems to hold water. Actual sets, props, animatronics, etc.

I'm thinking it will not be a boring film. Dare I say a really good film. What I'm worried about is all the different directors doing all the different Star Wars films. Rogue One, Han Solo, Episodes VIII and IX. Then again, it worked for the original trilogy. Always different movie makers behind the scenes of those ones.

#33 ·
I'm looking forward to the new SW movies. I'm hyped that Donnie Yen was cast in Rogue One in what looks like a Zatoichi type of role. I just hope they don't give him the Blade 2 Snowman treatment and he gets to show his talents and what he can do.

#35 ·
Star Wars was done once the first Ewok showed its furry little head....

Blockbusters today are solely about eye candy: CGI, stunts, explosions, and IMAX....

Those trivial thing like characters and a story sit at the back of the bus....

You might possibly get a halfway interesting story, for about half of part 1, of these blockbuster series....

After that it is all crap and explosions....

Star Wars or Black Mass?

I will take Black Mass....

#36 ·
Blockbusters today are solely about eye candy: CGI, stunts, explosions, and IMAX....

Those trivial thing like characters and a story sit at the back of the bus....
Maybe. But often, if you do enough digging you can find some pretty good meat even when there doesn't seem to be any. Take Jurassic Park (The first one) for example. There's a lot of noise and special effects and all that and it all seems pretty brainless but there's some good stuff in there. Spielberg can be more subtle than he's often given credit for.

#37 ·
Jurrasic Park was made 22 years ago, had Spielberg as its director, and was based on a Michael Crichton novel who also wrote the screenplay for the movie....

I would hope that Spielberg/Crichton collaboration could come up with something halfway intelligent....

The acting was good too....

The sequels all sucked though, just like the Raiders sequels....

Lucas and Roddenberry had a good idea, but were saved by good actors, directors, and writers....

Both are overrated....

#38 ·
Jurrasic Park was made 22 years ago, had Spielberg as its director, and was based on a Michael Crichton novel who also wrote the screenplay for the movie....
Well, you get points for having an entertainment industry encyclopedia in your head. Reminds me of something I forgot. I'll let you know if I remember what it was.

Anyway, the point was that this is the way a lot of stuff goes. Sometimes you have to put up with a lot of noise to get a tiny bit of good stuff.

There was enough good stuff in Jurassic Park to make a meaningful difference in the world. But there was a slight problem. It was too subtle for the vast majority of the people who saw it, if you can believe that. If it's overrated, it's overrated because it didn't accomplish much besides making a lot of money and giving them a chance to screw up the sequels.

#39 ·
@WillYouStopDave & @WinterDave 2 Daves arguing over movies. Interesting. Heh.

I liked all Indiana Jones movies, except for Crystal Skull of course. And you liked Raiders. To me that's the weakest one. Indie was pointless. The Nazis would've opened the Ark of the Covenant no matter what. They would've melted, it would've closed, the end. Heh.

The Lost World was good fun, and Jurassic World surprised me. They were superficial for the most part, but it wasn't Transformers.

I will say that when something becomes overrated, it's more often than not when a franchise or piece of entertainment gets so popular that it pours out of its demographic, getting people to watch, listen, read, or whatever, that wouldn't like it anyway. You know? FOMO happens. Fear of missing out. And then they're like, "Guh, a superhero movie. They're all the same. Why'd I see [insert comic book movie].]

#48 ·
i'm so. excited.

i actually had a dream last night that poe was anakin's son, for some reason??

but yeah, i can't wait to see kylo ren, phasma, hux, rey!
I'm excited for the new characters, as well. Finn and Rey the most. Followed by Kylo and Phasma. Could be epic. I have my reservations, but this could be the start of a beautiful relationship between Star Wars, Disney and fans again.

#51 ·
Reminder to tune in for Monday Night Football:

#53 ·
The third trailer is now out:

:banana

Unfortunately I'm at work at the moment and I've had to watch this with no audio. I'll have to see this, with the audio, when I get home. From just looking at it with no audio, it looks impressive. I feel like a child again whenever I see Han Solo…! Sad I know, but he was probably my all-time favourite action hero as a child!

The only thing which I feel a bit disappointed about is that there seems to be a lot of CGI :( - that we were promised they'd cut back on. It's one of the reasons which really put me off the three prequels (Episodes 1, 2 and 3). I just hope what we see in the new trailer is about all there is - or there's been improvements over the way it's made over the last decade.

Overall though, I really am hyped for the new film. I've been looking forward to it since it was announced - especially when we're getting some old cast members back. I was a huge fan of the first three (Episodes 4, 5 and 6) and I grew up with them as a child. I'd watch them over and over again. I've not looked forward to a film as much as this since the prequels. I only hope it doesn't turn out to be as disappointing as at least of of them were…

#54 ·
Loved the trailer. I'm trying not to get overly-hyped like I was for Jurassic World but I think I'll enjoy it anyway. And I'm really interesting in what John Boyega's character is going to be like.
And even if there is CGI at the very least it's improved since the Attack of the Clones days.

#57 ·

I'm excited. Kylo Ren's voice was awesome.

Finn seems to only be half the 'main character' because Rey seems to have a significant role to play. And also, who cares? Are you trolling? AND ALSO, I thought you didn't care about this movie. :laugh:

#56 ·
The hype is real! Big Star Wars fan right here <---------------------------!!!! For now I will be satisfied with Star Wars the Old Republic's new expansion which just came out today. That will hold me over a bit until Episode 7.

#60 ·
Do you guys think that is Chewie's corpse Rey is crying over? I would be devastated.
Don't say that! I bet it's Chewie. ;)

yeah I do lol , actually I just rewatched episodes 1-6 a few days ago, have to say I was wrong about ep3, it's actually the best. my second favorite is ep5
I see. Hypocrite! Lol. I remember walking out of Episode III thinking it was my second favorite, but I honestly think it's my fourth favorite. Once I watched the original trilogy again. Understand the appeal, though. All that brutal evil in that movie. Right up your alley. Even younglings bought it. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.