AMA Grand National Flat Track

67K views 839 replies 3 participants last post by  Ckg2011 
#1 ·
Motorcycle Racing News And Rumors Thread

New And Improved Motorcycle Racing News Thread.​

#2 ·
The Jammer, Jammin Jared Mees​

Pomona Half Mile: Bryan Smith With The Win, Jared Mees With The Title​

Bryan Smith may have won the battle tonight at the Pomona Half Mile AMA Pro Flat Track season finale, but Jared Mees won the war and scored his second Grand National Championship with a fourth-place finish.

Smith dominated the night on his Villa-Esparza/Crosley Radio Kawasaki, winning his heat race, the Dash for Cash and the main, but it was not enough to make up the points deficit on his friend and championship rival Mees on the Rodgers Racing Harley-Davidson and Mees' fourth-place finish was enough to seal the deal.

"Bryan [Smith] did what he had to do today," Mees said. "He had to go out there and dominate, and he did."

And although disappointing for Smith, he took comfort in the fact that he laid it all out there and did everything he could.

"He [Mees] did what he had to do," Smith said. "And I did what I had to do tonight. He did what he had to do this year. I don't want to take anything away from him. It was a hard-fought year. I know I did everything I could all season long and we came up a little bit short. But everybody knows I'll be back strong next year."

Finishing second was Jake Johnson on the Ramspur Winery Lloyd Bros. Racing Harley-Davidson, which secured him a solid third in the championship.

Joining Smith and Johnson on the podium was Factory Harley-Davidson's Brad Baker, who passed his number-one plate back to Mees.

In fifth was Henry Wiles who carried the banner for the Zanotti Racing Harley-Davidson team since both of their riders - Kenny Coolbeth Jr. and Stevie Bonsey - were sidelined from injuries suffered at the previous round in Calistoga.

Sammy Halbert made up for a bad start and tried to chase down Wiles, but ultimately had to settle for sixth. Mike Rush finished seventh ahead of privateer Jeffrey Carver Jr. on a borrowed Harley-Davidson after both of his bikes broke earlier in the day.

Rounding out the top 10 was Doug Lawrence and Robert Pearson.

In the Pro Singles Championship, it was a similar story… Davis Fisher took the win, but Kyle Johnson did what he needed to do to take home the number-one plate and that was to bring his Parkinson Brothers Honda home in second.

"It feels great," Johnson said. "Two weeks ago [at Calistoga] definitely didn't go as planned, didn't get the points we wanted, lost a lot to Davis.

Coming in here, we knew Davis was going to be fast, he's been fast all season, just like we were. I knew we had to stay close, we didn't have to beat him.

I got up to second place and I had a little bit of breathing room, I wasn't going to push, I knew we had the championship, and that's what our goal was."
Joining Fisher and Johnson on the podium was Jarod Vanderkooi.

GNC Expert Twins Heat Races​

GNC Expert Twins Dash For Cash​

GNC Expert Twins Semi-Finials​

GNC Expert Twins Main Event​

Source:
http://www.cyclenews.com/649/25169/...-With-The-Win--Jared-Mees-With-The-Title.aspx

#3 ·
AMA Flat Track Finals Pomona Cali. Pro Singles​

Pro Singles Heat Races​

Pro Singles Last Chance Qualifier​

Pro Singles Main Event​

Davis Fisher​

#4 ·
2014 AMA FT Pro Singles Season Recap​

2014 Grand National Championship Season Recap​

#5 ·

AMA Pro Grand National Championship Gains A New Player.​

YAMAHA FZ-07 WILL POWER NEW FLAT-TRACK RACER.

Yamaha is expanding its AMA Pro Flat Track contingency program in 2015 to include Expert/Pro Twins, Racing Division Manager Keith McCarty told the media at the second annual AIMExpo in Orlando, Florida. An engine development program for the new FZ-07 is under way at Yamaha's North American headquarters in Cypress, California.

Interest on the part of the flat-track community in the new liquid-cooled, eight-valve, DOHC 689cc parallel-twin preceded the FZ-07's Stateside launch this past June. At that time, however, McCarty was focused on other priorities.

"There were a lot of calls," he said, "but during the racing season, I'm very busy. I didn't take it seriously until we got a bike and had some engines to look at, and then I started piecing everything together in my mind."

McCarty believes the new engine will be competitive. "Yamaha has very good engineering principles," he said. "I think we can easily attain the horsepower without worrying about failures. Was it built specifically for racing? Probably not. But I think the rules are going to allow us to touch a broad scope of items. We'll see what we end up with."

With the new twin, Yamaha will have a much larger footprint in the series. "I would have loved to have been there sooner," McCarty said.

"The biggest problem for us was that there were no Yamaha products for the twins classes. Now it makes sense." This past season Yamaha paid $1000 for a Pro Singles win, $500 for second, and $250 for third.

McCarty and Jim Roach, crew chief for four-time AMA Pro SuperBike Champion Josh Hayes, spectated at the AMA Pro Flat Track Finals in Pomona last weekend. No Yamahas qualified for the Pro Singles main event.

Fifteen of the 18 riders, including winner Davis Fisher, rode Hondas; the three other machines were KTMs.

Yamaha isn't prepared to throw a win-at-all-costs budget or a bunch of bodies at this program. "I don't have a lot of money to dump into it," McCarty said, "and I'm sure that the flat-track community doesn't, either.

One way to get more participation is to make the thing competitive but keep the cost down.

We want to be able to reward them with contingency and help them with the technical side."

C&J is building a frame. "I personally delivered an engine," McCarty said.

"I think they had seven or eight orders before I got down there."

McCarty also has his eye on December's Superprestigio short-track invitational in Barcelona, Spain, as well as the 2015 Summer X Games, which may have a flat-track element. "I've had a request to line up some YZs for the Superprestigio," he said.

"Also, the X Games should have everybody's attention. It's a great way to promote motorcycling, and we want to be a part of it."

Source:
http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/10/17/yamaha-fz-07-will-power-new-flat-track-racer/

#6 ·

Rumor Mill: What's Happening In Flat Track​

Rumor on the street or the dirt that is, that the AMA Pro Flat Track Grand National Championship will only race one Springfield Mile in 2015. An that mile would be run on Labor Day. No word yet on why the IMDA has decided to pull the Memorial Day Mile, but it looks like there will only be one trip to Springfield in 2015.

Source:
Ckg2011

#7 ·
National #91 Mikey Martin Aboard His Bonnieville Performance Triumph​

2011 Pro Singles Champion Mikey Martin & Weirbach Racing Reunited For 2015​

Courtesy of Weirbach Racing:

Akron, Ohio (November 11, 2014) - Previous AMA Pro Singles Champion Mikey Martin signs on as full time rider for the 2015 season with Weirbach racing of Ottumwa, Iowa. This is the same team and rider combo that captured the 2011 AMA Pro Singles Championship.

Martin who stepped up to the AMA Pro Expert Ranks in 2012, had been riding for Bonneville Performance/Castrol/Triumph team until the end of the 2014 season. Looking forward to being back with old friends, Martin has this to say, "I'm looking forward to riding and working again with Dick and Ted.

We seem to communicate well and the results speak for themselves. This time around the competition is much tougher than the last time I rode for them in the Pro ranks. We're up to the challenge for sure!"

After three years, Martin will also be making a brand change from the Triumph to a Kawasaki power plant. Testing will take place for the team prior to the spring opener race in March at Volusia 2015.

This winter they will be building a third Kawasaki 750 and rebuilding the two they already have in their stable.

Team owners Ted and Dick Weirbach also stated "We are very excited for the return of Martin to ride our Kawasaki's. We have two years of experience with the 750's and feel like we can be a threat at all the Grand National events.

Source:
http://amaproracing.com/ft/news/index.cfm?cid=61756

#8 ·

Breaking News: Memorial Day Mile Is On​

Rumor has it that the Memorial Day Springfield Mile will be part of the AMA Grand National Flat Track schedule in 2015. It looks like the race will be run on May 24th 2015, no other details have been released just yet, but more information will be released soon.

Source:
Ckg2011

#9 ·

Name Change For AMA Pro Flat Track Classes​

AMA Pro Racing has made changes to the class names in the AMA Pro Flat Track Series to better reflect the legacy of the series' Grand National Championship. As such the series' premier class, formerly known as the Expert division, will be changed to GNC1 and the support class, formerly known as Pro Singles, changes to GNC2.

As far as the competition goes in the Grand National Championship, the number-one plate will still be awarded to the top rider in the premier class - GNC1 - which includes twins for the bigger Mile and Half-Mile tracks and single-cylinder motorcycles for short track and TT (Tourist Trophy) races.

However, the series support class, GNC2, which was aptly named Pro Singles in previous seasons because they raced single-cylinder machines, will now also race twins "tuned to a specific performance envelope" at larger circuits, like the Springfield Mile.

The concept has already been employed at the Springfield Mile - as the Pro Twins class in 2014 and the Basic Twins in 2013 - and was designed to provide a stepping-stone platform fitting for a development class.

Source:
http://www.cyclenews.com/649/26300/Racing-Article/Name-Change-For-AMA-Pro-Flat-Track-Classes.aspx

#10 ·

Picking a National Number: No. 2 Kenny Coolbeth, Jr.​

Some of the most prominent riders in the history of the Grand National Championship have sported the National No. 2 plate. Legends such as Dick Klamfoth, Dick Mann, Bubba Shobert, Jim Rice, Johnny Spiegelhoff and then, of course, Kenny Roberts and Scotty Parker, have all displayed the iconic National No. 2 on their motorcycles during their tenure competing in the series. These are some of the main reasons why Kenny Coolbeth, Jr. chose to wear No. 2 following his impressive championship run from 2007-2009.

"It was a tough decision to take No. 2, really," said a humbled Coolbeth. "The number had been worn by so many amazing competitors and it really caught my eye when the number was available.

I think I bring a different style of racing than the riders who previously wore No. 2. It's just cool to know that I am wearing the same number as they did."

It's safe to say that Coolbeth has carried the torch appropriately, as he's been a vicious competitor on the circuit ever since obtaining the National No. 2 plate in 2010. In fact, last season was arguably his best yet since obtaining the No. 2, finishing fourth in the overall Grand National Championship point standings and recording four wins, the most he's ever earned in a single season.

In total, Coolbeth has racked up a whopping nine GNC1 main event victories since mounting the National No. 2 plate onto his motorcycle.

After completing his impressive season in 2014, it's been confirmed that the 37-year-old Coolbeth will return next year and ride for Zanotti Racing again in 2015, as the two made an impressive duo in their first year together.

Source:
http://amaproracing.com/ft/news/index.cfm?cid=61856

#11 ·
National #14 Briar Bauman​

Jake Johnson, Briar Bauman To Compete For Hart Racing In 2015​

The AMA Pro Flat Track scene just got a little bit more competitive, as two of the premier riders in the elite GNC1 class have agreed to join forces and compete for Hart Racing in 2015.

Jake Johnson, a former Grand National Champion, and Briar Bauman will take to the track next season aboard high-powered Kawasaki motorcycles on Half-Mile and Mile circuits.

Hart Racing is headed up by team owner James Hart, who will be flanked by expert Kawasaki developer Dan Thompson of Hot-Shot Motorworks and Hank Scott, winner of 17 Grand National main events and an AMA Hall of Fame member.

"I think it's going to be a lot of fun being next to Jake (Johnson) in the paddock," said Bauman. "Also, I've ridden a Kawasaki for the last two years and I feel very comfortable on one. This year there will be different type of frames but it will be the same motor. All in all, I know how the bike works and we should start out pretty strong at Springfield for our first twins race."

Bauman got off to a flawless start in 2014, winning the first race of the season at Daytona. However, that turned out to be the Salinas, Calif., native's lone victory of the year, as he went on to finish 11th in the overall Grand National Championship point standings. But, at just 19 years old, Bauman clearly has a bright future ahead of him, and he has big aspirations for the upcoming season.

"My main focus for 2015 is to remain consistently in the championship hunt throughout the year," said Bauman. "I want to earn some podiums and I want to end up toward the top five in overall points at the season's conclusion. I'm confident that I have the right equipment and the right people in place to help make that happen but I realize it's on me to perform, and I'm excited for the challenge."

Unlike Bauman, who possesses raw talent and the potential to be a superstar in the series, Johnson is a proven veteran who knows precisely what it takes to win championships.

"It should be a really good year," said Johnson. "This will be the first time competing with any of these guys and I'm really looking forward to it. Briar and I did some testing a few weeks ago at Oglethorpe Speedway in Georgia and the bikes everyone seemed to be working really well together. I felt great on the Kawasaki and I thought it went really well. The goal for me this year is to just win races and go for another championship and I think Hart Racing gives me a good opportunity to do that."

A back-to-back Grand National Champion in 2010 and 2011, Johnson got back on track last season by finishing third in the overall points, and, though he didn't record a single victory, his eight podium appearances are what set the table for his top-three finish.

One of Johnson's claim to fames in recent years is that he's proven to be able to ride any brand of motorcycle with tremendous success. Out of his three races mounted aboard a Kawasaki last season, the Coatesville, Pa. resident rode to an impressive second place finish at the Sacramento Mile, third place at the Virginia Mega Mile, and sixth at the second Springfield Mile.

Both Bauman and Johnson's track records speak for themselves. Bauman, an AMA Horizon Award recipient as an amateur, won three main events in his debut season in GNC2 and also captured the Saddlemen Rookie of the Year award in 2011.

Johnson's two championships and several top five overall finishes, combined with his tenacious riding style have made him a household name in the paddock. The hope is, mixing great talent with great machines and a solid supporting cast, great results are bound to follow at Hart Racing.

Source:
http://amaproracing.com/ft/news/index.cfm?cid=61863

#13 ·
Fast Girl Shayna Texted Aboard Her Triumph Twin​

Rumor Mill: What's Happening In Flat Track​

Big Announcement From Texter's Expected Soon

The Texter's, Cory and Shayna posted on their Facebook that they have some really big news in the next few days, what this could be? Nobody knows but Corey and Shayna.

Could this be a new bike for Shayna? Perhaps a Harley Davidson. Could this be about Flat Track racing in the X-Games in 2015? We will have to wait and see.

Source:
Ckg2011

#15 ·

Breaking News: Shayna Texter Will Race In Spain​

Shayna Texter will race in next weekend's Superprestigio dirt track race in Barcelona Spain, Shayna will join fellow Grand National riders Brad The Bullet Baker, Jammin' Jared Mees, and MotoGP World Champion Marc Márquez.

Here is the 2013 Superprestigio Super Final Brad Baker vs Marc Márquez.

Source:
Ckg2011

#16 ·

Breaking News: Bonneville Performance Announces New Rider​

It was just announced that national No.55 Jake Shoemaker will ride the Bonneville Performance Triumph during the 2015 AMA Grand National Championship Pro Flat Track season.

Source:
Ckg2011

#17 ·

AMA Pro Announces 2015 Flat Track Schedule​

AMA Pro Racing announced 12 confirmed events on the 2015 AMA Pro Flat Track schedule. In addition to the events listed below, AMA Pro Racing is currently negotiating with four additional venues and intends to announce the complete 16-race calendar in the near future. (Photography by Dave Hoenig)

As a homage to the 90-year history of the sport and the long list of Grand National Champions, the classes that comprise AMA Pro Flat Track have been renamed GNC1 (premier) and GNC2 (singles).

Sticking with tradition, the season will get underway during the Bike Week festivities in Daytona Beach, Fla. with a doubleheader at DAYTONA Flat Track on March 12 and 13.

Next up on the slate are two events that are steeped in history. On May 24, riders will convene at the Illinois State Fairgrounds for the first edition of the 2015 Springfield Mile. The next week, May 30, the series heads to the West Coast for the Sacramento Mile at the Cal Expo Fairgrounds.

On June 20, Half-Mile fans can get their fix when the series returns to Hagerstown Speedway in Hagerstown, Md.

The following week, June 27, riders will attack the pea-gravel Half-Mile in Lima, Ohio.

The series will then jump back out west for the first of two TT (Tourist Trophy) events in 2015. Castle Rock Race Park in Castle Rock, Wash., is scheduled to host AMA Pro Flat Track on Saturday, Aug. 1.

Aug. 4 is the date for the Black Hills Half-Mile at Black Hills Speedway in Rapid City, S.D.

Next up, the riders will take to the sky for the second outing in 2015 with the legendary Peoria TT set for Aug. 16.

The series then returns to the Illinois State Fairgrounds for the second running of the Springfield Mile.

The championship battles will then play out on the West Coast with back-to-back races in California. Riders will attack Calistoga Speedway, nestled in the heart of wine country, on Oct. 3, before finishing off the season in Pomona, Calif. with the Flat Track Finals at the LA County Fairplex on Oct. 10.

Confirmed Dates on the 2015 AMA Pro Flat Track Schedule:​

March 12: DAYTONA Flat Track I, Daytona Beach, Fla.
March 13: DAYTONA Flat Track II, Daytona Beach, Fla.

May 24: Springfield Mile I, Illinois State Fairgrounds, Springfield, Ill.

May 30: Sacramento Mile, Cal Expo Fairgrounds, Sacramento, Calif.

June 20: Hagerstown Half-Mile, Hagerstown Speedway, Hagerstown, Md.

June 27: Lima Half-Mile, Allen County Fairgrounds, Lima, Ohio

August 1: Castle Rock TT, Mt. St. Helens Motorcycle Club, Castle Rock, Wash.

August 4: Black Hills Half-Mile, Black Hills Speedway, Rapid City, S.D.

August 16: Peoria TT, PMC Race Park, Peoria, Ill.

September 6: Springfield Mile II, Illinois State Fairgrounds, Springfield, Ill.

October 3: Calistoga Half-Mile, Calistoga Speedway, Calistoga, Calif.

October 10: Flat Track Season Finale, LA County Fairplex, Pomona, Calif.​

Source:
http://www.cyclenews.com/649/27300/Racing-Article/AMA-Pro-Announces-2015-Flat-Track-Schedule.aspx

#18 ·

Flat Track First Couple: Mr. And Mrs. Jared Mees​

AMA Pro Flat Track Grand National Championship Power Couple.​

When it comes to race paddocks, amateur or professional, the scene playing out today is not unusual.

It's a couple of weeks since the previous race, so wives and girlfriends are standing in groups of three and four making small talk before the action starts. What is different today, under another perfect blue sky in Pomona, California, is the fact that one of the wives, Nichole Mees, is waiting to race herself.

Her husband, Jared Mees, goes into this last day of a 16-round AMA Pro Flat Track season leading the championship. It'll be his second if he's successful.

Let's put this into a globally mainstream context. It's the eve of the Valencia MotoGP race and Jorge Lorenzo is looking to tie up the title after moving into the lead at the previous round. Meanwhile, Mrs. Lorenzo-go with me on this-is racing for a top satellite squad on another fire-breathing Yamaha YZR-M1.

She's expected to beat a couple of other satellite riders and even give Nicky Hayden, on the customer Honda, a run for his money. That is the level at which Nichole and Jared are operating.

"I first met Nichole at the amateur nationals in Springfield," Jared says. "I was probably 12 or 13." At that time, Nichole had her family name, Cheza, stitched to the back of her leathers. "I was born and raised in Pennsylvania, and she is from Michigan, so we'd only see each other at the amateur races. She was fast, ran up front, and was more like a tomboy when I first noticed her."

The pair grew closer, and when it became clear Jared was going to become a professional racer, he'd stay with Nichole and her family in Clio, Michigan.

"Right away, there was a connection," Nichole remembers. "I had a feeling like, 'He's the one.' We had so many things in common. We like going for nice meals and to comedy shows too. It's not all racing."

Jared looks like a Marine-short hair, muscular physique, no nonsense. Today, race day, he is a different beast than yesterday when we spoke at his nearby hotel. He's monosyllabic, pacing like a lion in a circus cage.

He's clearly pondering the three-way battle for the title. Bryan Smith and Jake Johnson can both win the number-one plate, depending how the day pans out. Consistent all season, Jared retook the point lead when Smith was black-flagged two weeks prior in Calistoga; his bike was blowing oil, the result of a cracked sight glass on one of the best-prepped bikes in the sport.

Nichole is farther down the standings, 20th out of 49 points-scorers. She crashed heavily in June, injuring her left leg. Her overall standings are always dealt a blow because she is so much better on the miles and half miles racing her Black Hills Harley-Davidson XR750 than short tracking or TT racing on an MX-based 450 single.

"I lost touch with the 450," she admits. "You have to ride them differently. The Harley weighs between 300 and 350 pounds, but when you're going at those speeds, it doesn't feel like you're holding up that weight. I train very hard to stay in good shape."

"Those speeds" are about 115 mph at the end of the straight of this half-mile oval that is rougher than a bear turd rolled in fishhooks.

When I met up with Jared yesterday, Nichole was still in Michigan at her day job, teaching special-education classes. Oh, yeah, I forget to say during all that Mr. and Mrs. Lorenzo stuff that Mrs. Lorenzo is also a schoolteacher, having swapped careers from being a pediatric nurse.

"On Friday, I get done with school at 2:30, and I'm normally driving to the airport straight after," Nichole says. "Fly home Sunday night and make it to work on Monday. It's a busy lifestyle, but I love every minute of it."

Four almost identical XR750s are parked under E-Z Ups as close as possible to the track entrance. All are privately owned, supported by two Harley dealers and other sponsors. Two heavy leather jackets, "MEES" stitched on their backs, are hanging up. One of them looks like it would fit an 11-year-old boy.

Nichole is petite, with shiny chestnut hair pulled back and held with a simple elastic band. She is clearly fit but not exceptionally muscular.

There isn't a paddock in the world that has the variety of characters of the Grand National Championship. Virtually every hairstyle, from Venice Beach bum semi-dreadlock to Caucasian 'fro, is represented.

There are riders as PR polished as anyone in MotoGP and others who could start a fight in an empty room. There are buzz cuts, baldies, and Coke-bottle glasses.

There is also an open hostility between many of the riders, and while there is grudging respect, few spout the tedious diplomacy or low-level whining found in roadracing.

This is a hard world where no one has a free ride. If you're not excelling, your parents had better still be willing to feed you or you need a day job. Passions run high, riders get their clocks cleaned, and, going into the Pomona race, I heard seven riders tipped as winners by different paddock insiders. Another five probably thought they had a chance if the stars aligned.

Racers progress to the point-paying main event-first via timed practice then heat races. Those who don't place in the top four in their 12-man heats are sent to one of the semis, from which only the top two will progress to the 18-rider main.

Riders take to the Pomona half-mile track in waves for the practice, delineated by their standings. Championship-leader Jared is out in the first group. Coming off turn four, the 100-hp Harleys, Kawasakis, and Triumphs spit big, old-fashioned rooster tails of heavy soil. The impact of these dirty little dum-dums on trailing riders leaves huge red welts on their biceps, even through the thick leather.

Now it's Nichole's session. She's lining up with former champion Smokin' Joe Kopp, Jeffrey Carver Jr., Shawn Baer, and a rider she must have influenced, Shayna Texter.

"When I started racing, it was weird to see females at the races," Nichole says, "but I didn't know anything different. Now when I go to amateur races I see 10, 15, 20 girls in different classes. I think it's awesome."

Before the end of the four-lap session, Nichole slows and rolls into the pits. She caught her left foot in a hole on the track and aggra*vated that old injury.

With no garages in which to hide, and all trucks moved out of the infield to allow a better view for spectators in the stands, onlookers gawk as the team pulls off Nichole's leathers and her eyes fill with tears. Medics arrive and cut off her socks as the other racers line up for their next timed sessions.

Jared shows concern then returns, like a boxer, to his corner, fiddling with his phone. Johnson's wife is comforting Nichole. Jared occasionally looks over but not very often. His wife is tougher than leather, and he is here to work. Still, it's interesting how little obvious concern he's showing. He becomes even more monosyllabic when I try to talk to him.

I bet he wanted a distraction on this high-pressure day but not one involving his wife in a crumpled, perspiring mess a few feet away while his own lifetime of racing and commitment is coming to a head.

A splint is put on Nichole's leg, and she is taken away in an ambu*lance. As the doors slam, Jared prepares for qualifying.

It was all so different on the morning of race day at the Springfield Mile in September of 2013 when the pair was getting married. "Springfield was the place we met," Jared explains. "It was where I proposed, so we thought we'd finish the job there." After the ceremony, Jared came in sixth. Nichole was 13th.

There are no updates from the hospital as qualifying, heats, and then the Dash for Cash-the four-lap precursor to the main for the top six qualifiers-progress.

Jared is doing what he's done all year, just what is required without making too many headlines.

He is second in his heat, transferring to the main, while his closest rival, Smith, wins his own heat and the Dash from Jared, taking the bonus points that go with it.

Smith appears visibly quicker, but the title is still Jared's to lose.

Under the floodlights, the main gets under way. The view of the 18 best dirt-track racers howling through turn one, spitting a desert storm of damp dirt, is awe-inspiring. Jared and Smith are side by side for the first lap until Smith begins to pull away.

Smith broke Harley's stranglehold on GNC half miles, and, with four laps down, he's looking unbeatable. But Jared doesn't have to win.

As the 25-lap race counts down, outgoing number one, Brad Baker, then Johnson, pass Jared.

Smith powers his way to his fifth win of the season, more than any other rider, but Jared's fourth is enough to take the title by three points.

Jared "only" won two races, but he scored points at every round, while Smith had two no scores.

As Jared celebrates with his team, Nichole stands apart on crutches.

She got back to the track in time to watch the main. She's invited onto the podium. The day didn't work out exactly the way they hoped, but it could've been a whole lot worse for the most remarkable husband and wife in motorsport.

Source:
http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/12/1...irst-couple-of-racing-jared-and-nichole-mees/

#19 ·

Marc Marquez Wins Superprestigio Thriller​

Marc Marquez put in some serious practice time on his flat track bike this year and it showed.

The MotoGP World Champion won in a thriller over AMA Grand National Champion Jared Mees in the Superprestigio final Saturday in Barcelona.

The 12-lap finale got off to a ragged start, but it was Marquez and Mees ultimately clearing to the front of the pack. Mees chased down Marquez in the closing laps and looked for a way around, but couldn't quite find it and it was Marquez racing to a popular win in front of a cheering Spanish crowd at St Jordi Arena.

Marquez' margin of victory over Mees was 0.298 seconds. American Kenny Noyes finished third.

Marquez was highly entertaining all night, not shying away from contact and running wildly varying lines through the qualifying and final of his division.

Mees was on the other hand was smooth and dominant in all of his qualifying races prior to the big finale, pulling away to easy victories in each race, setting up a showdown in the main between the champions of their respective series.

Last January's winner Brad Baker was out before it started, having separated his shoulder in the afternoon qualifying session. Shayna Texter fell in one of her heats and didn't score enough points to make it to the final of her division.

In the finale the pack blasted out of the Supercross-style gate and going into the first turn contact was made with Mees and Marquez involved in the fray and losing ground. Mees' bike actually stalled, but he was able to restart it on the roll. The two rallied and quickly broke back into second and third. Noyes led the first half of the race, but with six laps to go Marquez made his move and took over the point. Mees wasted no time and also dispatched Noyes to break into second.

The closing laps were thrilling. It's just what the crowd came to see - Marquez battling with the American Grand National Champion. Mees closed the gap with two or three laps to go and made one or two attempts to try to get around, but Marquez showed tremendous skill in holding off Mees to the checkered flag.

Fans in the packed arena were thrilled at seeing Marquez take the victory and gave him a standing ovation on his cool-down lap. He then got off his bike ran around the track throwing his goggles and gloves into the crowd. Mees and Marquez then gave each other a big hug, both having enjoyed the spirited competition.

Source:
http://www.cyclenews.com/649/27342/Racing-Article/Marc-Marquez-Wins-Superprestigio-Thriller.aspx

#20 ·

Vanderkooi, Carver To Race For Don's Kawasaki In 2015​

Jarod Vanderkooi to make the jump to AMA Pro Flat Track GNC1 and Jeffrey Carver land a full time rides with Don's Kawasaki in 2015!

Don's Kawasaki supports two riders for the 2015 GNC1 season.

"I think we have two very talented riders. Jeffery has proven he can make any bike work on the track. He really worked hard last year to make sure he had a good ride at every race. We are happy to be able to provide him with full time support in both the Twins and 450's," says Don Kissinger. "Dan Caulkins of DPC Racing has been a part of this effort for several years and we thank him for his continued support." He adds, "With Vanderkooi, we will also be going after the 'Rookie of the Year' title and are excited about the support we are able to give him to make that happen."

Vanderkooi missed the 2014 season openers at the Daytona Short Track due to not meeting the minimum age requirement. Jarod didn't let his age hold him back the rest of the year. Upon turning 16, he took the IMDA Springfield Mile by storm, winning the May event. He then marched on to Grays Harbor, Wash.

winning the main event against very tough competition. The Indy Mile at the Indiana State Fairgrounds was win number three on the season. Then, there was the repeat performance at the IMDA Springfield Mile in August that brought the crowd to its feet and clinching the 2014 Pro Twins Championship.

Humble and always with a smile, Vanderkooi has a great deal of respect for his fellow competitors and this to say about his 2015 season;

"I have grown up riding with J.R. Addison, Kyle Johnson, Davis Fisher and Molly Terry. They come to every race with their "A" game. Racing with such tough riders has helped me grow as a rider and prepared me for the next challenge. I'm eager to get started on this new chapter in my career. This is a huge step for me and I'm grateful for the support Don's Kawasaki has offered, as well as our other sponsors who are returning in 2015; Woody Kyle, Ben Evans, Floyd Tapp and Spectro Oils."

Taking on that next challenge has made for a busy offseason as Vanderkooi had been one of the most sought after riders for the GNC1 ranks. After much consideration, Don's Kawasaki will be the name on VanDerKooi's leathers as his primary sponsor and yes, the 17f will be found on the AMA Pro Flat Track GNC1 rider roster for 2015! Vanderkooi joins Don's Kawasaki's other full time rider Jeffery Carver.

Carver was known in 2014 as the rider who rode six different motorcycles in the AMA Pro Flat Track races last season. While many wondered why he hadn't landed a full time ride with a team last year, Jeffery seems to have fit right in on the Don's Kawasaki Team.

"I'm very excited for this opportunity to ride for a good group of class people. Don's Kawasaki is the leading Kawi dealer when it comes to helping out flat track riders and teams. You see the Don's Kawasaki logo everywhere and I'm just glad to be a part of the group. The bikes they are preparing for me are top-notch and we are looking for a strong opening year.

I would also like to announce that Mike Lynch will be our crew chief and Woody Kyle will build our engines. Our recent test session proved that we have some great chemistry on the team. A lot of positive changes were made which made the bikes feel great. Also with the addition of Jarod VanDerKooi pitting with us and helping each other, I'm excited about our prospects for 2015."

Source:
http://home.amaproracing.com/ft/news/index.cfm?cid=61928

#21 ·

Zanotti Racing Signs Henry Wiles For 2015​

Henry Wiles, winner of 24 GNC1 main events since his debut season in 2003, will be fielded by Zanotti Racing for the upcoming 2015 AMA Pro Flat Track season.

Headed by Dave Zanotti, Zanotti Racing has been one of the premier organizations in the AMA Pro Flat Track arena for some time now, and adding a rider of Wiles' caliber to flank three-time Grand National Champion Kenny Coolbeth will only strengthen its already impressive reputation.

"I've known that Dave (Zanotti) is a very smart guy," said Wiles. "He wants to do what I want to do, which is win races and compete for a championship. I believe this was a great move for me and that we can accomplish these things together. I'm very excited heading into the 2015 season."

Wiles will ride the Zanotti Racing Harley-Davidsons at Half-Mile and Mile long circuits, and will be mounted on a Zanotti Racing Honda CRF450R in TT (Tourist Trophy) and short track events.

Though Coolbeth didn't earn the championship, Wiles' newly acquired teammate had an excellent first year competing under Zanotti in 2014, finishing fourth in points for his best showing since 2011. Both Coolbeth and Wiles will make up arguably the strongest one-two-punch combination the series will see in 2015, as both riders have proven the ability to compete competitively at the highest level. Together, they have 57 GNC1 victories.

Wiles has dominated one race for the last decade, and he's confident he will be able to keep his streak of conclusive Peoria TT wins alive next summer. Another victory there would be his 11th in a row.

"I'm definitely looking forward to Peoria," said Wiles. "There are a lot of other good riders out there and I'm sure they're going to bring everything they've got to try and wrestle that win away from me. When it comes to the 450s, I've done fairly well on a lot of the tracks that we visit. Peoria in particular is a very fast track, which I think caters to my style of racing tremendously. The event as a whole is phenomenal and it's always fun riding there."

Though Wiles will be attacking Peoria on a Honda this year as opposed to a Kawasaki, the bike he's used to win the prestigious event, the Michigan product will still be the odds-on favorite to claim the coveted Peoria TT checkered flag come Aug. 16.

Both Wiles and Coolbeth are poised for strong 2015 seasons. When Coolbeth couldn't race at the season finale at Pomona last October due to an injury, Wiles filled his spot and rode the Zanotti Racing Harley-Davidson to a fifth-place finish.

"Dave (Zanotti) is accomplished and he knows how to win," said Wiles. "That's what I like."

Find out just how big of a splash Wiles and Zanotti Racing will make together next season when the lights go green in Daytona on March 12-13. If you can't make it Daytona, the entire event will be streamed live on www.FansChoice.tv.

Source:
http://www.amaproracing.com/ft/news/index.cfm?cid=61939

#22 ·
National No.44 Brandon Robinson​

Latus Motor Racing Signs Brandon Robinson​

Team Latus Motors / Castrol / Triumph is proud to announce and welcome Brandon Robinson, AMA Pro national #44 , as its new racer for the 2015 AMA Grand National Championship season.

Brandon Robinson, a 24-year-old professional flat track motorcycle racer from Oxford, Penn., is known by his fans as "BRob" and has already accomplished much in GNC racing, a series which usually favors the veterans of the sport.

During his rookie year in 2012, BRob nearly lost his life in a horrific first turn pile up that ended his season, only to bounce right back the next year and win the famed Springfield Mile not once, but twice, win the Daytona short track, and finish third in the overall AMA Pro Flat Track GNC1 year end point standings in 2013.

All of those finishes along with many podium finishes in his very young career make BRob a serious threat for the 2015 coveted AMA Grand National Championship.

"Last season I saw the very strong potential of the Latus Motors / Castrol / Triumph team and realized right away that that was a bike I wanted to be on," said BRob. "I am very excited to sign with a new team that has the same motivation as myself to always strive to be the best, and I cannot wait for the 2015 season to start. With the crew that Team Latus has assembled around me, I'm really looking forward to helping develop the Triumph and restoring some of the glory that the brand once had in our sport."

Team Latus Motors is owned and operated by George Latus of Latus Motors Triumph in Gladstone, Ore. "We are very excited to bring Brandon on board as I have been watching him for a few years now, and he's always impressed me with his drive and determination to come back and compete at the top level like he has after such a bad accident during his rookie year," said Latus.

"And I really feel that we have put together a very strong support team to help him achieve his and our goal of once again putting Triumph on top of the podium."

Managing the team once again will be former AMA Pro Grand National Champion Joe Kopp. "I had the opportunity to ride the Triumphs quite a few times this year, so I feel like I know what type of rider is needed to make the Triumphs work best," said Kopp. "I think Brandon fits that slot perfectly.

With Brandon's riding style and watching just what he does to make a bike work underneath him makes me very excited for the 2015 season to begin.

And to bring our new mechanic Brent Armbruster on board to help with the fine tuning of things is just another huge asset to our program. It's going to be fun."

Team Latus Motors is supported by Triumph Motorcycles America, Castrol, GE Capital, Freedom Road Financial, K&N, Penske, Motion Pro, Cometic, Wiseco, Saddlemen, Competition Werks, Bike Master, MotoConcepts, Joker, Mad Hatter, and Pro Plates.

Source:
http://www.amaproracing.com/ft/news/index.cfm?cid=61941

#23 ·

Brad Baker On The Road To Recovery In Time For Daytona​

There was good news and bad news for Brad Baker when it came to his plans upon returning home from the Superprestigio in Barcelona, Spain, a couple weeks ago.

Baker would be back in Washington for a short time before heading to Hawaii to enjoy the holidays there with family, which was the good news.

The bad news is that his time in paradise would be spent recovering from the dislocated shoulder suffered in a practice accident at the prestigious short track exhibition race that featured some of the top riders from various forms of motorcycle racing around the world.

There aren't many better places to spend some rehab time, but, of course, spending time in Hawaii without much use of one arm wasn't what Baker had in mind.

It could have been worse though. The 2013 Grand National Champion and Factory Harley-Davidson rider suffered road rash, nerve damage, a dislocated shoulder and what he says was a minor head injury in the fall, but his 2015 plans are not in jeopardy.

"I plan on winning Daytona," Baker said. "I'll be ready to go, just like I was before. There's really no doubt there."

Baker said there's very little strength in his left arm right now, that he can barely move it, and wouldn't have been able to even put his hand on the handlebar in Spain without help.

"If there was hope, I would have be on the motorcycle," Baker said. "The reason I couldn't ride is because I couldn't, not that I chose not to ride."

And while he's not taking anything away from the injury, he still considers himself lucky, especially considering the lack of long-term implications.

"It's not bad at all," Baker said. "I got really lucky actually with the way my shoulder popped out. What happened to it was really the best case scenario when it comes to a dislocated shoulder."

Baker was noticeably disappointed when he had to watch the Superprestigio on the sidelines. In January, he beat MotoGP superstar Marc Marquez in the event. This time around, Marquez barely edged current Grand National Champion Jared Mees.

Baker wasn't happy about letting down the fans he's gained in Europe from competing in the Superprestigio previously, but he's also upset about missing out on another great flat track opportunity - the Troy Bayliss Classic in Australia.

Standout road racer Troy Bayliss, is a staunch supporter of flat track, like Marquez, and his event helps raise its stature down under.

"Troy Bayliss has been an amazing racer, and he's been a pioneer in the sense that he's making flat track bigger in Australia. I want to help and be part of his efforts making the sport bigger over there.

"It's the opportunity of a lifetime for any 21-year-old to go to Australia and do what they love for two weeks."

Mees will travel to Australia in Baker's place for the event. He'll be joined by fellow GNC stalwarts Sammy Halbert and Henry Wiles for the race, which is scheduled for Jan. 17.

Source:
http://www.amaproracing.com/ft/news/index.cfm?cid=61945

#24 ·
#25A Shayna Texter And National #65 Cory Texter​

Sibling Sound Off: Cory & Shayna Texter Represent The AMA Pro Racing's Only Brother-Sister Combination​

There's nothing quite like a spirited rivalry between two siblings, and the brother and sister combination of Cory and Shayna Texter provide just that for AMA Pro Flat Track fans by competing against each other in the Grand National Championship.

Born and raised in a small Pennsylvania town called Willow Street, Cory and Shayna grew up playing a variety of sports, including soccer, wrestling and running track. In fact, it wasn't until 2003 when the two decided to focus primarily on motorcycle racing.

"It's in our family's genetics to race motorcycles," said Shayna. "Our grandfather raced a little bit and was a mechanic for a couple riders. My dad raced here and there as well. In 2003, Cory decided to race full time on dirt, and about half way through that year, I decided I wanted to follow in his footsteps and give it a shot as well. My first race was at Trail-Way Speedway in Honover, Pa., and I never stopped since."

After winning several local amateur races against boys her age and older, Shayna began to realize that she had what it took to compete in the male-dominated sport, and she wanted to try to move to the next level.

"I was in ninth grade when I made the decision to give up my passion of playing soccer and focus on another passion of mine, which is racing motorcycles," said Shayna. "I turned pro in 2008 and I've come a long way since. Competing against Cory has really given me an edge and I've certainly learned a lot from him over the years. I'm definitely glad that I stuck with my decision to become a professional motorcycle racer."

In just over two months, Shayna will sport a yet-to-be-determined National Number at DAYTONA Flat Track to kick off the 2015 season.

The female sensation earned her number in 2014 when she reached her first main event start at the Knoxville Half-Mile in just her first season competing in the premier GNC1 class.

Away from the AMA Pro Flat Track ranks, Shayne also recently competed in the Superprestigio short track exhibition race in Barcelona, Spain, against some of the best racers from various forms of motorcycle racing around the world. So her star is definitely rising.

Cory completed his 2014 season having qualified for nine main events, and the older brother admitted his crowning moment racing alongside his younger sister was when the two made the finals at Colonial Downs and the second Springfield Mile. Previously, no brother-sister combination had qualifed for an AMA Pro Racing main event together.

The budding sibling rivalry would be all tied up when it comes to head-to-head matchups with Shayna finishing ahead of Cory at Colonia Downs but Cory in front of Shayna at Springfield.

"We both made the main event at my last two grand nationals in 2014 and that was easily the most fun I've had competing against my sister," said Cory. "I have two major goals that I would like to accomplish before my professional racing career is over. The first one is for Shayna and I to finish on the podium together and my second goal is to earn at least one Grand National main event victory throughout the duration of my career."

Shayna and Cory will continue their quest for greatness in 2015 when the season kicks off in Daytona Beach, Fla. for Round 1 on March 12-13.

Source:
http://www.amaproracing.com/ft/news/index.cfm?cid=61949

#25 ·

Change In Dash for Cash Points Structure Highlights 2015 AMA Pro Flat Track Rule Book​

AMA Pro Flat Track released the 2015 Rule Book Friday, and the most notable change was made to the Dash For Cash format based on rider feedback.

For the 2015 season, the winner of the Dash for Cash will be awarded one championship point, but no other finishers will earn points for their performance. Instead, the starting lineup for the GNC1 main will be based on finishing position in the Dash.

Previously, the top five finishers in the six-rider Dash for Cash earned championship points, with five points awarded to the winner.

The change in point distribution promises to keep championship battles even tighter as the season progresses.

In 2014, three riders were alive for the title at the season finale in Pomona, Calif., but under the new point schedule, even more would have had a shot at the championship in the final round.

"It's a good thing, for sure," 2013 Grand National Champion Brad Baker and rider of the No. 6 Factory Harley-Davidson said. "The Dash for Cash, you're not recognized for second, third, fourth or fifth. You go out there and you should want to win it."

Riders feel the new format levels the playing field.

"I'm excited about it," said Kenny Coolbeth, rider of the No. 2 Zanotti Racing Harley-Davidson and the series' winningest active rider. "Especially for me, I'm not that good of a starter. I'm better at the end of the race. For (AMA Pro Flat Track) to take the points away, I think it's going to be better."

Starting position can be key in a race, so there's still plenty on the line.

"I think it's really good that (AMA Pro Flat Track) is going to line us up for the main event from placement in the Dash for Cash. I'm happy for that," Coolbeth said.

And with a point and some cash still available for the winner, the battle for the checkered flag promises to be just as exciting, if not more.

"I think it'll add excitement for the race," said Baker. "Now, you'll be out there like, win or don't do anything. It'll boost everybody's intensity for the Dash."

The season begins with a double header at DAYTONA Flat Track March 12 and 13. Every round of the 2015 AMA Pro Flat Track season will be available live, in high definition and free of charge for fans to watch online at www.FansChoice.tv.

Source:
http://www.amaproracing.com/ft/news/index.cfm?cid=61974

#26 ·

Supercross Comes To The Thread Now​

So I have decided to start covering Monster Energy Supercross in this thread as well as other motorcycle racing news. I will cover the current Supercross season and the National Outdoor Motocross season this Summer.

Source:
Ckg2011

#27 ·

Supercross: Weston Peick To Have Surgery​

While turning in the best performance of this career, AutoTrader.com/Toyota/Yamaha's Weston Peick sustained a broken foot when he cased a jump with three laps remaining in the main event that this weekend's Supercross in Phoenix.

According to team manager Jeremy Albrecht, Peick is having surgery today to have a screw inserted to hold the bone together. If all goes good, says Albrecht, and he can stand the pain, Peick will be on the starting line for Anaheim 2.

Peick was fourth in Phoenix after running third for 15 laps, and now sits fifth in the overall 450-class standings.

Source:
http://www.cyclenews.com/690/28431/Racing-Article/Supercross--Weston-Peick-To-Have-Surgery.aspx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.