X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Discussion > 30+ Members

Old 08-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Smile Still no career and approaching 30 or past 30 years old?

Hello, I'm actually 27 years old, however 30 is just around the corner for me and I still have no career. I've held part-time retail jobs but nothing major an I'm still living at home after I graduated with a useless bachelors degree (communication studies). I am thinking about going back to school whether it be for masters or vocational but I just want to go to work first before anything else because my earning my bachelor's degree was so painful and time consuming.
It's not like I don't want to succeed, I've tired and did my best but I just end up failing. I'm worried that as I'm approaching 30 that I won't have a career unlike most of my peers who are already working in their careers and having their own families. I can't be in this rut forever something has to be done but I'm just not sure what though. It's almost as if my life has been cursed and no matter what I do something bad seems to always happen.
I'm trying other avenues of careers like right now I'm trying to become a pc tech but it's close to impossible getting into that field.
I would love to hear others stories on this subject matter so thanks in advance.

How many of you out there are in similar shoes? What are you guys doing about it?
Inspiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

33 and no career, I have a "Job" though, and count my blessings for that. I had the option of going into management but I really feel like I can't handle the mental demands of being a supervisor and "responsible for everyone else". I already take on enough of that as an office minion (feel responsible for everything that goes wrong if its even vaguely associated with me/my work). So I've declined multiple offers because I just don't have the personality for managment.

And I never went on after college, I did my BSc and then took a "break" the Break has lasted a decade. I just don't know what I want to do, at this point I feel like I will never know what i "want" to do. Right now I have a job that mostly pays the bills, has decent benefits but I feel like if i ever lost it i would not be able to find something else that bothers me but I can't seem to figure out what to do about it.

I need to learn to tolerate discomfortable I am too comfortable in every are of my life even if I'm not HAPPY with it. It's "status quo" and I'm use to it so I stick with the same life, same friends, same job, same house, same city etc.
awkwardsilent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by awkwardsilent View Post
33 and no career, I have a "Job" though, and count my blessings for that. I had the option of going into management but I really feel like I can't handle the mental demands of being a supervisor and "responsible for everyone else". I already take on enough of that as an office minion (feel responsible for everything that goes wrong if its even vaguely associated with me/my work). So I've declined multiple offers because I just don't have the personality for managment.

And I never went on after college, I did my BSc and then took a "break" the Break has lasted a decade. I just don't know what I want to do, at this point I feel like I will never know what i "want" to do. Right now I have a job that mostly pays the bills, has decent benefits but I feel like if i ever lost it i would not be able to find something else that bothers me but I can't seem to figure out what to do about it.

I need to learn to tolerate discomfortable I am too comfortable in every are of my life even if I'm not HAPPY with it. It's "status quo" and I'm use to it so I stick with the same life, same friends, same job, same house, same city etc.
I can relate to feeling comfortable and just sticking to a routine in life; go to work, go home, sleep, than wake up go back to work etc or something like that. I think their are a lot of people like that in this world it's just that we hardly ever hear from them. I'm taking a break right now too from finishing my bachelors I don't want this break to last for 10 years; I was only look at 2-3 years than back to school or whatever.
Thank god for my parents taking care of me if it weren't for them than I would be on the streets. I'm scared out of my wits about my future and I know that I cannot stop time.
If I end up failing in life than I'll just have to accept and do my best with it. I guess some people weren't meant to succeed in life and it's all about acceptance and doing your best with what you've got.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

35 and no career. There's peace that's come with acceptance that it's not going to happen for me. I just want a job with benefits that will pay the bills.

Most of my 20s were spent agonizing over the fact that I didn't have a career like my peers and that I wasn't getting "ahead." I have a bachelors degree but always go for jobs that i'm overqualified for because I can't handle a lot of responsibility and lack solid people skills.
Double Indemnity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Indemnity View Post
35 and no career. There's peace that's come with acceptance that it's not going to happen for me. I just want a job with benefits that will pay the bills.

Most of my 20s were spent agonizing over the fact that I didn't have a career like my peers and that I wasn't getting "ahead." I have a bachelors degree but always go for jobs that i'm overqualified for because I can't handle a lot of responsibility and lack solid people skills.
I'm in much the same boat. Degree, but work rubbish jobs for various reasons.
CeilingStarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspiron View Post
Thank god for my parents taking care of me if it weren't for them than I would be on the streets. I'm scared out of my wits about my future and I know that I cannot stop time.
fern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Indemnity View Post

What do you do now? How are you supporting yourself?
I do the same thing with applying for jobs that I am overqualified for. I have been in leadership roles and it was tough but I'm not sure if I would do it for a living.
I wish you the best in your future.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspiron View Post
What do you do now? How are you supporting yourself?
I do the same thing with applying for jobs that I am overqualified for. I have been in leadership roles and it was tough but I'm not sure if I would do it for a living.
I wish you the best in your future.
I'm currently unemployed. I'm living off of savings. I was working in admissions at a university, but I left that job in order to relocate to another state after I got divorced. I actually liked that job and am hoping to find something similar.
Double Indemnity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

To be honest the whole careers thing is over rated so dont beat yourself up over it; I work to live not live to work is my favourate phrase on the subject. Though at the moment sadly I'm not working so even less living going on than normal. Earning enough to live your life and not hating your job are the important things to my mind, all this happy corporate wage slave indoctrination crap you can get bombarded with gets on my nerves at time!

I hope it all works out for you
Justsomebloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

If you are interested in IT I would talk to an Air Force Recruiter as a Reserve or Guard for a position in the IT field; you still have time. They pay you go to go to school, they get you a security clearance, and I believe now they even train and pay for the test to get a certification in your field. When you get back home a lot of the time your base will put you on a few months orders or even longer and you can get hands on job experience. After that point your resume will show you have a degree, certs, clearance, job experience you can pretty much go anywhere from there. I was in your shoes when I was like 25 best decision I made.
zork2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zork2001 View Post
If you are interested in IT I would talk to an Air Force Recruiter as a Reserve or Guard for a position in the IT field; you still have time. They pay you go to go to school, they get you a security clearance, and I believe now they even train and pay for the test to get a certification in your field. When you get back home a lot of the time your base will put you on a few months orders or even longer and you can get hands on job experience. After that point your resume will show you have a degree, certs, clearance, job experience you can pretty much go anywhere from there. I was in your shoes when I was like 25 best decision I made.
I've thought about the military and have contacted a recruiter for the Air Force, however after thinking it through the military is just not for me; it is a great opportunity.
I really do want to get into the IT; it's really the only thing I see myself doing. There is so much competition in that field that I may not make it so I always have backup plans just in case. Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:11 AM   #12 (permalink)

I also don't have a career because of my issues. I am currently unemployed which really sucks....I try and stay positive but on this particular issue being positive is really hard.
Wesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:09 AM   #13 (permalink)

I'm 39 and still don't have a career. Heck, I'm not even working at the moment. Because of major depression and social anxiety, I dropped out of high school in grade 11. My father started taking me to work with him when I turned 20, as a plumber and I pretty much kept working with him till his unexpected death when I was 25. Then, I lost interest and went from job to job. I could never hold a job for more than 4 months. I would be so scared driving to the job, I would turn the car around and go home! After my mother died a couple years ago, I was fortunate to inherit money from selling her house, so I lived off of that till now. Now, the money is completely gone and I have to force myself to work starting next week. It's either that or be homeless since I can't pay rent. I've never been so scared in my life!
Rocketman1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #14 (permalink)

I was/am a huge disappointment to my family and people from school. I don't care about people from school. I was passionate about music, but in a nutshell, i began to loathe the business of music, so now it's a hobby. I also worked part time jobs under my potential, then i started a yard biz. It's not what anyone envisioned for me, which really makes my blood boil. But, i just bought my first home, and i'm going to make the best of it.
howard26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman1973 View Post
I'm 39 and still don't have a career. Heck, I'm not even working at the moment. Because of major depression and social anxiety, I dropped out of high school in grade 11. My father started taking me to work with him when I turned 20, as a plumber and I pretty much kept working with him till his unexpected death when I was 25. Then, I lost interest and went from job to job. I could never hold a job for more than 4 months. I would be so scared driving to the job, I would turn the car around and go home! After my mother died a couple years ago, I was fortunate to inherit money from selling her house, so I lived off of that till now. Now, the money is completely gone and I have to force myself to work starting next week. It's either that or be homeless since I can't pay rent. I've never been so scared in my life!
Dame I'm so sorry to hear that; I hope that things turn around for you. Have you thought about going into business for yourself or possibly a franchise? That's what I may do if I can't find a career by 30. I know this maybe hard but you can also go back to school to get your GED and possibly further your education.

I wish you the best.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #16 (permalink)

Rocketman, that's heavy stuff. I just can't imagine. I lost my dad when i was 21, and i've sort of been lost ever since. I saw no money because he didn't have his things in order, but i can't complain. It sort of made me, i guess you could say. I hope you can find something to sustain you.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:10 PM   #17 (permalink)

I never thought of going into business for myself. A person needs the drive and passion, plus money. I don't have any of those things.

Funny, a former friend of mine bought me a GED book to help me finish my education back in 2005. The thing is, it's as big as a phone book. It's a little overwhelming. I started to study from it and do the exercises in it, but never got past a certain chapter early in the book. I kind of gave up on it.

It's extremely hard when you have absolutely no family or even friends to guide you along in life. My dad was great at that, but after he passed, I really had no one. Not even brothers or sisters. I'm just a lost soul in the world.

I was already threatened with an eviction 2 months ago for not paying rent on time. I had to take out a $6000 loan from a pawn shop, using my car as collateral. I had no other option to get that kind of money ASAP. The worst thing is, they are charging me over 55% interest! I've already missed the first payment of $600 and already started the harassing phone calls.

Rent is due again coming up and again have no money. But on the lighter side, I do have a job interview next week that pays $23.00/hour. The thought of me living on the street homeless scares the hell out of me and maybe what I need to get my *** in gear. If I get this job, things will look up, but if I don't get it, I won't know what to do. I might just end up joining my deceased parents
Rocketman1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman1973 View Post
I never thought of going into business for myself. A person needs the drive and passion, plus money. I don't have any of those things.

Funny, a former friend of mine bought me a GED book to help me finish my education back in 2005. The thing is, it's as big as a phone book. It's a little overwhelming. I started to study from it and do the exercises in it, but never got past a certain chapter early in the book. I kind of gave up on it.

It's extremely hard when you have absolutely no family or even friends to guide you along in life. My dad was great at that, but after he passed, I really had no one. Not even brothers or sisters. I'm just a lost soul in the world.

I was already threatened with an eviction 2 months ago for not paying rent on time. I had to take out a $6000 loan from a pawn shop, using my car as collateral. I had no other option to get that kind of money ASAP. The worst thing is, they are charging me over 55% interest! I've already missed the first payment of $600 and already started the harassing phone calls.

Rent is due again coming up and again have no money. But on the lighter side, I do have a job interview next week that pays $23.00/hour. The thought of me living on the street homeless scares the hell out of me and maybe what I need to get my *** in gear. If I get this job, things will look up, but if I don't get it, I won't know what to do. I might just end up joining my deceased parents
All you need is a business loan to open your own business/franchise but I understand that is hard for you because of other obligations. That's what I'm planning on doing by 30 if I don't get a career started by than. Don't give up on your GED; there should some free or low cost GED prep classes in your local area just check. From there you can always go back and get your bachelors degree maybe in business or whatever your passion is.

That is great that you got a job interview; just curious what kind of job is it that pays that well? I have the same fear of living in the streets but for right now I've got my parents luckily. Things are already looking good for you.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard26 View Post
I was/am a huge disappointment to my family and people from school. I don't care about people from school. I was passionate about music, but in a nutshell, i began to loathe the business of music, so now it's a hobby. I also worked part time jobs under my potential, then i started a yard biz. It's not what anyone envisioned for me, which really makes my blood boil. But, i just bought my first home, and i'm going to make the best of it.
What kind of yard biz is it? Congratulations on your first home; you can build good wealth with your own home. How old are you if you don't me asking? I would like to start my business someday but the thought of it scares the daylight out of me.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #20 (permalink)

41. I'm behind schedule with everyone my age. It really didn't cost me much to get it going. I've streamlined my operation, and don't even use a trailer. I was in a tight spot, so i HAD to make it work. It's mostly mow, blow and go, but i do other odd jobs if they ask me; like hanging xmas lights, cleaning out a garage, etc. xmas tips are good.