X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Discussion > 30+ Members

Old 09-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Going to church

I love going to church, the problem is for the first 20 minutes I get so anxious I sweat. I also try to go after the stupid lets turn and say hello to everyone time, that I hate. So this means I walk in late every time. Then if I haven't worn a sweatshirt the nervous sweat is showing through my shirt. Uhgg Any thoughts
thefourth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

-- not trying to make a joke, but-- I suppose very good antiperspirant helps. given the setting, I suppose a quiet/silent prayer wouldn't hurt, before entering the church.

sitting near the back might ease the stress of being "perceived" as everyone potentially looking at you..

Be blessed..
hypestyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

I use to hate the handshaking at church. It wasn't until I truly understood what Jesus was saying...that I could let go of what others thought of me.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'd go more often, but I dread the possibility of someone trying to strike up a friendship with me and it turns out that they're the really "zealous" type, and and I've had to deal with that in various forms over the years, and it's become a turnoff..

http://tinyurl.com/84w4vfe
hypestyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

I know how you feel. I love going, but I do feel anxious. What I do is go to least crowded service. My church has a night time service, that's much more laid back than Sunday morning. I sit in the back. If I can I sit where no ones behind me. It makes me feel more comfortable not having people behind me. I usually sit with a row or so in between me and whoever else and usually no one else is on my row so it feels more relaxing that way. When I feel anxious sometimes doodling helps, or shaking my feet releases some nervous energy.I basically just try to space myself a little and that tends to help me, and lets me focus on the sermon. Also the colors black or dark navy would be hard to see sweat on. Hopefully you'll find what works well for you soon. Best of luck!
ellebee89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have always had anxiety in church... It drives me nuts, cause I want to sit there and feel God!!! I usually sit at the back and I hate it!! My goal is to someday sit in the front w/no anxiety, that would be WONDERFUL
Jade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Location: in a subterranean nest with a family of burrowing owls

Oh crimeny, I know how you feel. Not so much from the sweating, but just the sheer anxiety of having to greet everyone. Can you imagine how rough it would be to go to one of those churches where you have to hug people at the beginning of the service? I might as well be expected to do cartwheels down the aisle.

As ellebee89 posited, you might want to try the evening service. It's much more laid-back than the morning services.
and found a little paintbrush
by--the door
as he held it in his teeth
he painted angels
on the skirt I wore

- The Residents, Harry the Head
erasercrumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Angry

Oh my goodness, I can SO relate this! I HATE being forced to "turn and greet" people at church. I actually resent being made to do it. And I feel so GUILTY for feeling that way! I mean, part of the reason for going to church is to have fellowship with other believers. Unforunately, being a believer has not solved my social anxiety problem. (Why God??) I used to do the same thing as you - walk in late in order to avoid the "turn and greet" part, but it doesn't always work out.
Umbrella Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

I try to get there early so that I can take a few moments to relax, and sit in the back so that no one is behind me.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

My friend told me, that church is the place to let your guard down. You're surrounded by people that love you, so you can just be your shy self. What also helps is getting to know another person at the church, preferably a leader and you can tell her you are shy and need prayer. I overcame my shyness a lot after I started attending church. Just be open to what God wants to do in your life.
"To let a sad thought or a bad one get into your mind is as dangerous as letting a scarlet fever germ get into your body . . . surprising things can happen to any one who, when a disagreeable or discouraged thought comes into his mind, just has the sense to remember in time and push it out by putting in an agreeable determinedly courageous one. Two things cannot be in one place . . . Where you tend a rose, my lad, A thistle cannot grow." --Frances Hodgson Burnett
lilyamongthorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thumbs up

I don't have any good advice, but be thankful you have a faith you can take comfort in and be proud of yourself for showing up despite the discomfort it causes you.

Rust Cohle
Ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourth View Post
I love going to church, the problem is for the first 20 minutes I get so anxious I sweat. I also try to go after the stupid lets turn and say hello to everyone time, that I hate. So this means I walk in late every time. Then if I haven't worn a sweatshirt the nervous sweat is showing through my shirt. Uhgg Any thoughts
Keep going to church. I used to go to church but I stopped. But when I went to church, that was another place that I could practice socially.
peach123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

I can't even go anymore. I live in a place where all the churches are very very large, and even sitting in the back doesn't help. In addition to social anxiety I get overstimulated (I have Asperger's syndrome.) Also ADHD and have to do something with my hands like knit or crochet to get anything out of the sermon (I can't keep up with what the preacher is saying if I try taking notes) or else my brain goes to fantasy land. A few people have told me I wasn't a Christian because I had to do something at my age in church. Drawing in church is seen as okay until you're 12, but doing anything past that?

It's no wonder I haven't gotten my husband's scarf crocheted for the past three years.
Revenwyn is offline   Reply With Quote