Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Do overly chipper,happy people annoy you?

6K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  CoconutHolder 
#1 ·
I'm talking about people that act like an overgrown Shirley Temple! Giant smiles,overly friendly and talking really loud!! That's only cute with little kids and it seems fake otherwise. :spank

#3 ·
schmoo said:
I think of those people as cartoon characters and I can't believe that it reflects who they are underneath. But then again, I recognize how overly pessimistic and cynical I am.
LOL! "Cartoon characters" seems to be an apt description. As far as its being a reflection of who they are underneath, some of them have no idea who they are underneath. They have never met that other person. Most are media creations and live their lives according to this idealized image of themselves which has been foisted on them and which they've accepted, without question, as their persona. The face they show to the world.

It all seems shallow and superficial to me. Sort of like the little boy whistling in the dark. One of the main reasons, no doubt, that I avoid people for the most part. I really don't view myself as pessimistic and cynical but I am a realist and what I see doesn't really frighten me. I can look it straight in the eye and accept it for what it is. But it does sadden me.

Interesting topic, Still Waters. And yes, they are extremely annoying.

#5 ·
I am some times annoyed by them, though not as much as I was at one time. I think there used to be an element of envy in my annoyance, but now that's gone. What I still see and what others seem to notice is the inauthenticity of this pose. I don't think that I view everyone with an upbeat attitude as a poser, but some clearly seem to be trying to prove a point, perhaps unwittingly, as ms deer wrote.

On the always present "other hand" I'm just as annoyed by people who seem to be forcing a dour outlook and persona. Some people seem to be genuine in their bleak viewpoint, and I'm sympathetic. But others invest great energy in demonstrating the weight of their burdens, especially when someone starts to lighten the load for them.

In each case I think its the misguided energy that I can't trust as real that bugs me.

#6 ·
I agree with you Atticus. It's easy to unknowingly get locked in one extreme persona. I have a relative who in high school was the proverbial-big fish in a little pond.-Lots of friends,accolades,attenion of students and staff. He annoys the heck out of me!- Life beyond high school and college was not so great. He acts as if every one he meets is his best friend.Must speak with everyone he meets. Repeatedly gets ripped off,buying into get rich quick schemes. Sings the praises of each person he meets. Each day is a popularity contest. I can't stand it!!!

#7 ·
Atticus said:
I am some times annoyed by them, though not as much as I was at one time. I think there used to be an element of envy in my annoyance, but now that's gone. What I still see and what others seem to notice is the inauthenticity of this pose. I don't think that I view everyone with an upbeat attitude as a poser, but some clearly seem to be trying to prove a point, perhaps unwittingly, as ms deer wrote.

On the always present "other hand" I'm just as annoyed by people who seem to be forcing a dour outlook and persona. Some people seem to be genuine in their bleak viewpoint, and I'm sympathetic. But others invest great energy in demonstrating the weight of their burdens, especially when someone starts to lighten the load for them.

In each case I think its the misguided energy that I can't trust as real that bugs me.
I couldnt agree more. I think people do this as a ploy to get attention.

#9 ·
No not really. Most times I like being around people like that. Especially if they are friendly..... I think the positive energy speads to me and makes me feel happy. Although if I were in a really bad mood it would bother me, but that would be a bit selfish of me to feel that way. I try to be happy for people for being able to be who they are. Whatever that may be.

#10 ·
Sometimes, but it's probably just envy like Coconutholder said. If someone can put on a happy face and be friendly to people when we know that life is full of ups and downs-more power to them. But, it is obviously a coping mechanism for those people who are way over the top and may not be an indication of true happiness.

I am actually much more annoyed by the people who are extremely negative about everything. I can't wait to get away from that kind of energy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.