Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Late work- humiliated by acedemic

863 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  noregrets 
#1 ·
I've had a complete diaster with my final year project. Just over an hour before the deadline, my computer crashed, and I lost all the prof reading, contents, references. I thought I could put it back, but15 min before the deadline I realised I had had it. Nothing to do except give the the people in the office an electronic copy of my work, and promise to just fix what had been lost. To be honest I was in shock, without this report I fail. They also told me to email the academic in charge(lets call her W), which I did when I got back home; I needed to get home. I also emailed her the completed report that night. The whole weekend was spend desperately trying to find a working printer (all the uni's ones broke), recovering my work, and keeping the W informed. By Monday I had fixed everything, handed in it in at the office (I couldn't over the weekend, nobody there), and tried to contact W (who hadn't replied to any of my emails); but nobody had her contact details. So I camped outside her office, until she arrived, with another student who was waiting. Then I asked if I could have a word. I explained what it was about, basically my entire future. W started talking to me in the corridor, not in her office. I thought this was a little strange. Instead of listening to what I had to say, I got a bollocking for not signing the emails properly. I finally got a chance to explain what had happened and I got another bollocking. I should have got it finished earlier, why did I email her earlier. I was completely unable to say anything my defence because of the other student watching.
I don't mind what she said, it was true. It was the fact that she did in public, in front of someone from my year, I might have to work with latter. This was my entire future we were discussing, and she couldn't even invite me into her office. I've never been more angry, if I hadn't walked way, I would have hit her.
I did go back latter, when I had calmed down, to confront her, and even got her to apologize, but I shouldn't have had to. I still don't know if the work will be accepted, I'm in limbo.
I'm also worried about the next time she does this, what happens if it is a student who's depressed, or really under pressure. What she did would be enough to push some people over the edge (don't worry I'm talking about me).

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.