Abilify (aripiprazole) - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Community and Website Administrator

My Mood: Fine
Abilify (aripiprazole)

Aripiprazole is an atypical antipsychotic and antidepressant used in the treatment of schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and clinical depression. It was approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for schizophrenia on November 15, 2002; for acute manic and mixed episodes associated with bipolar disorder on October 1, 2004; as an adjunct for major depressive disorder on November 20, 2007; and to treat irritability in children with autism on 20 November 2009.

More info:User ratings/reviews:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 06:05 PM
SAS Member

Tried Abilify with Effexor to see if it would give me more energy. It worked... Boy did it work.

I gave up after about a month of sleeping 1-3 hours a night. After taking it I'd literally be unable to sit still for a couple of hours. It also gave me sleep apnea which is utterly terrifying. When I'd finally manage to drift off without kicking myself awake with a muscle twich, I'd shoot up thinking I was dying. I was so determined to make it work I tried everything I could think of, like sleeping under an open window with the cold air hitting my face. That actually did help me sleep a bit.

Having been severely depressed for over a decade, having the energy to do things was incredible. Even if I was doing things, just because I couldn't stay still, not because I wanted to. Things were still getting done. It was also completely heartbreaking when I just couldn't do it anymore. After that much sleep deprivation I began to be scared that I might be going completely insane.

Note that in my case most of the bad and some the good was because of a side effect called Akatisia (restlessness, inability to stay still). But for a glorious couple of weeks I felt some semblance of normalcy. Getting over the loss of that was only accomplished by once again forgetting how being normal feels.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 07:50 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman View Post
Tried Abilify with Effexor to see if it would give me more energy. It worked... Boy did it work.

I gave up after about a month of sleeping 1-3 hours a night. After taking it I'd literally be unable to sit still for a couple of hours. It also gave me sleep apnea which is utterly terrifying. When I'd finally manage to drift off without kicking myself awake with a muscle twich, I'd shoot up thinking I was dying. I was so determined to make it work I tried everything I could think of, like sleeping under an open window with the cold air hitting my face. That actually did help me sleep a bit.

Having been severely depressed for over a decade, having the energy to do things was incredible. Even if I was doing things, just because I couldn't stay still, not because I wanted to. Things were still getting done. It was also completely heartbreaking when I just couldn't do it anymore. After that much sleep deprivation I began to be scared that I might be going completely insane.

Note that in my case most of the bad and some the good was because of a side effect called Akatisia (restlessness, inability to stay still). But for a glorious couple of weeks I felt some semblance of normalcy. Getting over the loss of that was only accomplished by once again forgetting how being normal feels.
Since it was working so well, why didn't you just take something for sleep? Adding Remeron would seem like the perfect fit because it would knock you out for sleep and also help with the akathisia!

http://www.biopsychiatry.com/mirtaza...isiatreat.html

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 05:37 AM
SAS Member

Just got off iot. I was on it for a few weeks made so nervous, couldn't concentrate or anything. I still feel the side effects, can't wait to get it out of me.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 05:37 AM
SAS Member

But it did help with SA but i felt like the side effects werent worth it.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 07:35 PM
Feline Enthusiast

My Mood: Cheeky
This made me very, very tired. Only on it for a few weeks.

"Anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths."

Add me!
facebook
instagram

Call me Katelyn!

Avoidant personality disorder, social phobia/SAD

post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 06:15 PM
SAS Member

I have tried abilify in the past which ended in a 2 week trial of it resulting in long-term restless leg syndrome and major pain in my legs. I had came across a post with the exact side effects in a short time.

If it works for you keep doing it but as always be conscious of side effects and write them down to give a full report to your doctor. Best of luck.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 09:15 AM
Ready to be normal again!

Do abilify and lithium work for bi-polar disorder and SA? My dr said I dont need an SSRI and that these 2 medications will do the job...has anyone tried this? or is anyone on these 2 medications and can give me some insight? I dont want to take these meds if they're in NO way going to fix my SA-My SA is worse then my bipolar disorder so I don't know what shes doing me..I just hope there's a method to all this madness!
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 06:39 AM
Freesix88

Just got it prescribed. I'm really excited to try it. I will share my experiences here:
Helps my racing thoughts and makes me calm in my head. Also took 7.5 mg amphetamine with it. I feel ok now.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 01:52 AM
SAS Member

Abilify and sleep problems

Started recently. 5mg on 18th. 10mg since 25th. Sleep problem every night since starting. First took it around 5-6pm, but have backed that up to 2pm for past 2 days. No change. Working on what appears to be an all-nighter today; typically interrupted sleep. Any advice?
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 07:55 AM
SAS Member

Started recently. 5mg on 18th. 10mg since 25th. Sleep problem every night since starting. First took it around 5-6pm, but have backed that up to 2pm for past 2 days. No change. Working on what appears to be an all-nighter today; typically interrupted sleep. Any advice?

Have you tried taking the Abilify in the morning instead of at night
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 07:24 PM
SAS Member

Abilify increases dopamine.
I take propanolol which decreases dopamine and reduces my anxiety.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 09:05 PM
SAS Member

This medication seriously helped me! I switched from zyprexa to this and I'm very happy with the change.

Dx: Social anxiety disorder and bipolar I disorder
Medication: Lamictal only
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 11:32 AM
SAS Member

Very helpful medication for me. I switched from risperidone to abilify and noticed a difference in about two weeks. This has been a very effective medication.

DX: Bipolar Type II, Clinical Depression, GAD
Daily: Seroquel, Clonazapem
PRN: Propranolol
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 01:19 PM
SAS Member

I'm on a tiny dose of Abilify - 1 mg, but it really really improved my mood and my anxiety, taking it with Effexor. It seems odd that such a small dose would be helpful but apparently it's worked in other cases for depression/anxiety which is why they're now marketing the drug for this use?
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 01:28 PM
Sigh.

Abilify made me gain a lot of weight. I hated it after a couple months. Love it at first, but it eventually wore out its welcome once I gained 60 pounds.

PTSD doesn't mean you're going insane.
It means you're sane and reacting from something that was insane.
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 06:28 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteColor View Post
Abilify increases dopamine.
I take propanolol which decreases dopamine and reduces my anxiety.
Abilify actually decreases dopamine. However, it dose not stop dopamine completely like typical antipsychotics.

http://pro.psychcentral.com/abilify-...ic/001493.html

Also, why did you say propanolol decreases dopamine? I thought propanolol stop the effects of epinephrine from taking place.
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 04:59 PM
SAS Member

this medication is making me gamble like crazy. im 25 but my mum has to sort me out for bills each month as gambling is taking over my life. I want to stop medication but dr is slowly reducing them every 3 months. 9 months to go...
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 05:05 AM
SAS Member

I've only been on 5mg/day for the last week.

So far, I would say this drug is very stimulating. Even mirtazapine has a hard time forcing my brain to sleep while I'm taking Abilify. If I take Abilify before bed, I don't think all the mirtazapine in the world would be enough to take me down.

For the first week, I rate the drug maybe a 4 out of 5. I say this because I don't find myself needing to remember to take Ability. Something in my back of my head says I should take it. It's just like having a craving for salt or sugar. My brain seems to recognize Abilify as something positive.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 10:33 AM
SAS Member

I've been on this twice for psychotic episodes. The first being a little over 2 years ago now for about 4 months and I gained a hell of a lot of weight which I was sure was because of that. The 2nd time was more recently and I lost weight whilst I was on it although it was for a shorter period so I'm a bit confused. It definitely helped with my psychosis although I didn't feel it did much for anxiety and I got restless legs both times I was on it.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page