Lyrica (pregabalin) - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Treatment Reviews > Medication > Miscellaneous Anxiolytics (Antianxiety)

Like Tree3 Liked Posts

Old 02-26-2010, 12:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lyrica (pregabalin)

Pregabalin (Lyrica) is an anticonvulsant drug used for neuropathic pain and as an adjunct therapy for partial seizures with or without secondary generalization in adults. It has also been found effective for generalized anxiety disorder and was approved for it in Europe.

More info:User ratings/reviews:
Helena_SAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Positive addition

(Copied over from old review system)

Posted by gjloh
Social Anxiety Background
In the past my anxiety has been so severe that I lived in a unibomber style shack in the rural countryside. From there I successfully came to an equilibrium with anxiety until severe illness, a major car accident and a divorce in 9 months. I am nearing a nice recovery from a short fall from grace.

Other Treatments
Topamax, klonopin

Treatment Experience
Lyrica has been a very positive addition to the meds which I already take for both anxiety pain and very mild absence seizures(which are extremely rare)(topamax,klonopin). I take 150mg Lyrica 2xdaily.

In my personal experience the addition of lyrica has slowed the sudden rise in anxiety I experienced. giving me a brief period of time while the intensity grew more slowly greater to more effectively choose to either change the situation with immediate action or, take dose of klonopin. The dosage at which and how often I need to take klonopin has also been greatly reduced.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Lyrica(pregablin)

Posted by Noca
Treatment Experience
I tried this drug at 75mg x 2 BID PRN. This drug just put me to sleep and did nothing for my anxiety or mood. Its also very expensive as I had free samples to use of the drug and would never pay for it myself.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default Fuzzyheadedness

Posted by elocinx
Social Anxiety Background
I have mild social anxiety, but a lot of general anxiety. I am neurotic to the point of having OCD.

Other Treatments
I have tried antidepressants (which made me crazy) and benzos (which just knock me out) and have been looking for an alternative.

Treatment Experience
I have been on Pregabalin for a week now. I asked my doctor to prescribe it to me instead of antidepressants and benzodiazepines for Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

I started with 75 mg 2x/day for 3 days, then upped it to 150 mg 2x/day.

So far I can't handle it. It takes about an hour to kick in, but when it does I get so spacey and lose all motor function and concentration. My eyes get blurry too. It's kind of like being really stoned, but not a good feeling. I have heard people compare it's effects to ecstacy and GHB, but I don't think it feels like that at all. There is a huge amount of depersonalization, and I am taking a relatively small dose. I did notice a little bit of a tactile element to it, meaning I like to touch things, and I got a massage which felt wonderful. My sex drive seems to have actually increased a bit. Other side effects are that I feel very lethargic and heavy...

As far as anxiety goes? I have not noticed that it helps at all. I am still anxious and my mind still runs like a propeller.

I am going to give it another week to see if the effects wear off and the good effects kick in, otherwise I will give up on this drug.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
MBL

Hi

I was on this for a couple weeks before. Then I couldn't afford to stay on it. Now I have started it again. In combination with some other medications I find it's highly effective and worth every penny.

HALIFAX, Nova Scotia (Canada)
MBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've been on 300mg of lyrica daily for around 6 months, origianlly it was for my back pain but honestly I don't think it's been doing anything.

I remember before I went on it, taking 300mg felt like I drank 10 shots, and considering that amount isn't doing jack **** now it's kind of concerning in a way.

It's probably been the reason I've been feeling extreme depersonalization and mental fogginess and depression ever since...
Magical mystery tourguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
MBL

Eh.

I have been on it for almost a week now I guess.

I've had some weird side fx, such as mild facial edema, redness in the face and yesterday just for 45 minutes or so I felt my sinus area and upper face were NUMB.

But that's a small price to pay for less anxiety, the edge off my back pain (just a little really though) but best of all - improved sleep.

It does make me slightly dizzy but it doesn't bother me at all really.

I might go on 75mg morning and 150mg at night.

I don't think I'd ever want to exceed 300mg a day, I am on 2 x 75mg daily now and I get some decent improvement.

Thx

Old 01-31-2011, 04:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

after YEARS of trying diff meds, I finally asked to be put on Lyrica and it has literally saved me. I noticed a change in my mood and head firestorm in two hours of the first 50mg dose. I was a bit dizzy, well, more lopsided really.... and a wierd sensation of my head being pulled back. BUT...I would put up with anything to have this drug ( 150mg in three doses a day ) I was laughing, talking to people, felt energetic, I didnt re-run conversations in my head so much, didnt panic so much, wasnt going crazy with a firestorm in my head. It was like the middle worrying bit was numb and the outside bit was more alive. I seem more sensitive to colour, and do have the munchies, but its all worth it. Im sleeping so deeply, and y vivid dreams are now muffled. Just hope this feeling lasts. x
jackbarrett likes this.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
MBL

I am on 75mg morning and 100mg at night. I think I need a higher dose. I am going to 225mg soon (75 morning and 150 night). I'd like to up the morning dose also, but this stuff is costing me a LOT of money.

Also the last time I was on this I was on Adderall XR, and the combo of the two worked very well, but the Adderall XR would cost a lot too and I will find it hard to pay 300 - 400$ a month or more for just 2 medications. So I feel like I'm not on the optimal meds. I dislike Dexedrine compared to Adderall XR.

I find I need other drugs mixed with the Lyrica (makes more results).

My sleep has improved maybe 20 - 30 %. I think the drug is worth the money, but I want to be on 300mg a day ideally.

My anxiety, sleep disorders have become quite serious. I have to go to a sleep lab to determine how bad my sleep disorders are (I have 3 - 4 sleep problems!).. But the Lyrica has reduced the night terrors a little. My other 2 issues is pain and ADD (need the Adderall XR for the ADD instead of the !!@@#$@# Dexedrine). They said that the Lyrica helps with the pain, but maybe by 15% at MOST I found. Probably better for GAD/SAD/sleep for me than it is for pain!

Old 02-08-2011, 02:53 AM   #10 (permalink)

I have just been prescribed Lyrica and Agomelatine (Valdoxan, Melitor, Thymanax) for major depression, GAD, SA.

However, I have depersonalization/derealization disorder and I need to be able to think as I am in school learning a new language, and the workload is moderately heavy (for me.) I also have attention deficit disorder. My brain is already terribly fuzzy with questionable short term memory and low concentration.

Lyrica doesn't really sound like anything I should be on?

Also, has anyone taken Lyrica with Agomelatine (Valdoxan, Melitor, Thymanax)?
popeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
MBL

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeet View Post
I have just been prescribed Lyrica and Agomelatine (Valdoxan, Melitor, Thymanax) for major depression, GAD, SA.

However, I have depersonalization/derealization disorder and I need to be able to think as I am in school learning a new language, and the workload is moderately heavy (for me.) I also have attention deficit disorder. My brain is already terribly fuzzy with questionable short term memory and low concentration.

Lyrica doesn't really sound like anything I should be on?

Also, has anyone taken Lyrica with Agomelatine (Valdoxan, Melitor, Thymanax)?
I think I am finding Lyrica very useful, especially for sleep.
I just need to up the daytime dose now, for daytime problems.. the night time dose doesn't seem to carry over into the AM very much.

WHT is Agomelatine?! Never heard of it :P

Old 02-28-2011, 08:45 AM   #12 (permalink)

I just started Lyrica and I love it already.

I started with a tiny dose taking the powder out of the capsule (I don't like the way tabs/caps hit me when I swallow them) and swallowing part of it with water.

The problem is that I already want more. I also am getting pretty hungry.

---

MBL -- I searched for some threads on agomelatine here on SAS in hopes that some of the more psychopharmacologically fluent/better-informed SASers here had already discussed agomelatine's mechanisms before I tried it. A search returns a bunch of pages I haven't looked through them all yet.

I think the Lyrica is making me a lil' lax and lazy

I'm not sure if it has become available in Canada. I know it's not quite in the US yet. I'm in Sweden and I'd never heard of it before I got the script.

Anyhow there's this:

"Agomelatine represents one of the more novel approaches to the pharmacotherapy of depression. The drug's 5-HT2C antagonist pharmacology provides both antidepressant and anxiolytic properties, while the melatonin MT1 and MT2 agonist properties provide for sleep induction without much sedation. A disturbance of circadian rhythms has long been recognized in mood disorders, most notably in sleep and the diurnal variation common to melancholic depression. It remains to be seen whether a potent melatonin agonist has other benefits in the treatment of depression.Agomelatine has demonstrated anxiolytic and antidepressant properties in animal models (Papp et al. 2006). Preliminary clinical trials have demonstrated that dosages above 25 mg/day appear effective in the treatment of depression (Loo et al. 2002a, 2002b)."

From some paper indexed online.

As regards the 5-HT2C antagonism, SASers talk a little about 5-HT2C's role in anxiety.

And there is a chick who kept an agomelatine blog for a while last year, which I found informative and helpful.

Lots of what I have found online about agomelatine seems to be press paid-for by Servier. I'm not sure what to make of the agomelatine psychonauts group. And there's of course the ubiquitous Wikipedia page on agomelatine.

I will update my experiences with "ago" (as the hip people are calling it) on this thread, if you're interested. Cheers.
popeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #13 (permalink)

I didn't find it was any more useful than or different from neurontin (gabapentin) but sure costs more unless you've got amazing insurance. Ours does reimbursements so we get all the money back but we have to have the money in the account to pay the whole price first. Gabapentin capsules are also easier to swallow and I have to take 3 of them so what was enough for me to switch back to gabapentin.

http://www.ladyjayes.com/bringonrain.html
Akane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

I take 200mg BID and it has increased my appetite. It's appetite stimulation is actually winning versus amphetamine's appetite surpression I dont think it does anything for my anxiety though, but my mood is up more often I think cause of it. Can't tell if it helps my pain yet or not though.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Tried carrying the weight of the world, but I only have two hands... So wake me up when I'm older, when I'm wiser and I'm older
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
MBL

HI

I am on 150mg twice a day now.

My anxiety and sleep have really improved. Not 100% ... but enough to make me pay close to 200$ a month! It's really worth it.

Plus it's useful when mixed with kava, phenibut or especially benzos. Makes them work better and feel stronger.

I have still been having bad sleep paralysis, but my night terrors are down a good 50%, I sleep deeper, and wake less during the night.

Before I started this I couldn't feel Xanax, now if I take 2+ mg of Xanax I can say for sure it has more impact.

I feel calmer. Not quite extroverted, but more "chatty" and this drug has greatly improved my quality of life. All I need now is a switch of ADD meds and some PRN benzos, and then, I think I will be on optimal amounts and the right kinds of medications! [but this includes a little use of supplements too]

I am on 300mg, half the maximum prescribed dose of 600mg and I think I will stay at this level, considering the improvements with my problems and steep price.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:32 PM   #16 (permalink)

This is the chick that blogged about agomelatine. Agomelatine was a newish drug when i started it. I had no success on it and when i dropped it cold turkey i eventually ended up hospitalised. One of the reasons my psych thought it would be good for me was that i suffer from anxiety i think i can say it really didn't help me with that at all. My diagnosis has since been changed, although anxiety still remains a problem. Although i blogged about it my experiences may not be that useful to many. Since my change in diagnosis it has been stated that i am very sensitive to anti depressants and that they have a huge impact on my mental health therefore i am never to be prescribed them again. I have just been prescribed Lyrica for my anxiety and aggitation hopefully it will work and i will have few side effects.
crashing into the mental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:19 PM   #17 (permalink)

I was on this for 8 months for nerve pain. It helped the nerve pain and it also helped social anxiety.

It was easy to get off of as well. I found it was better with a benzo and that tolerance to the anxiolytic effect formed quickly. I would take a couple days off lyrica and return and it would work again.

If it were cheaper I would probably try to get on it again. I told my doctor that the lyrica helped with anxiety and he said it was just the sedative effect.

Havent been on it since.
Himi Jendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:13 PM   #18 (permalink)

Having pretty exhausted meds for anxiety depression....Has anyone found long-term help with Lyrica (gabapentin?)...
urbanspaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:17 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanspaceman View Post
Having pretty exhausted meds for anxiety depression....Has anyone found long-term help with Lyrica (gabapentin?)...
lyrica is pregabalin, a "newer" version (more improved molecule of gabapentin) by the way. And in my experience it has done nothing for me at 600mg a day, but that doesnt mean that it will be no use to you, i hope it is
hoodsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:22 PM   #20 (permalink)

Default Just started Lyrica after trying many different meds

I've spent the last 6 months in talk-therapy and trying different medications to treat my SA which has developed now into a full-blown panic disorder. Here is my experience so far:

Celexa: Horrible, couldn't sleep for the first 5 days, ended up having to take sleeping pills (zopiclone), first panic attack and countless panic attacks since...
score: 0/10

Clonazepam: Works AMAZING for social anxiety, but I experienced side effects like short term memory loss. DO NOT use daily. After only 1 month of use, it took me 2 months of withdrawal hell to get off this stuff.
score: 5/10 (5 just because it is very effective if used PRN).

Remeron: Great sleep aid, improvement in overall mood, some help with SA, worked my way up from 15mg to 45mg. Definitely helped with sleep during Clonaz withdrawal. Gained a bunch of weight on this medication, however. Definitely effects metabolism in some way. I've tried to reduce my dosage and had nasty withdrawal symptoms (different but in some ways worse than clonaz withdrawal!) I still take 45mg (pooped out on this dose and I will not go higher) and will have to do an ultra slow taper over many months to get off this when ready.
score: 6/10

Wellbutrin: I do not recommend this medication for anxiety sufferers. I found this medication to give a great motivation boost but at the cost of increased anxiety.

Paxil: Added 10mg of Paxil to try and boost the effects of Remeron. This was the second SSRI that I tried and had the opposite effects to Celexa. Constantly tired, sleeping 10h+, anhedonia (inability to feel any emotions) that almost drove me insane.

After trying many of the first line treatments for anxiety and ending up in a worse situation than when I started, my doctor has started me on Lyrica 75mg BID in addition to the 45mg at Remeron that I have been taking at night.

I have been on this medication for 5 days now and would describe the feeling as a light benzo. It has reduced my anxiety considerably (even from day 1) without the mind-fog and amnesia that I (don't) remember from clonazepam. I would think that this medication would be useful to help with benzo withdrawal too.

Can any Lyrica users comment on its effectiveness and tolerance issues when used long-term to treat anxiety?
mkultra likes this.
torontobuddy is offline   Reply With Quote