BuSpar (buspirone) - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Treatment Reviews > Medication > Miscellaneous Anxiolytics (Antianxiety)

Like Tree6 Liked Posts

Old 02-26-2010, 12:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default BuSpar (buspirone)

Buspirone (Ansial, Ansiced, Anxiron, Axoren, Bespar, BuSpar, Buspimen, Buspinol, Buspisal, Narol, Spitomin, Sorbon) is an anxiolytic agent and a serotonin receptor agonist belonging to the azaspirodecanedione class of compounds. Its used to treat generalized anxiety disorder.

More info:User ratings/reviews:
Helena_SAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Buspirone works for me.

(Copied over from old review system)

Posted by SASUXX
Treatment Experience
I've had social anxiety my entire life. I also have ADD, depression, and GAD.

The 200mgs of Zoloft I was on was not helping much with my social anxiety so my pdoc added 60mgs of Buspirone. For some reason this combination seems to be working pretty well. I am curious as to whether the Buspirone would still be as effective without the Zoloft. I would recommend giving this drug a shot especially if you are relying on those highly addictive benzos. I've been Xanax free for over a week!
efblair likes this.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Buspirone basically cured my hereditary Social Anxiety

Posted by Edwin
Social Anxiety Background
Hereditary condition, have symptoms since birth. I have social anxiety, general anxiety and obsessive tendencies.
Other Treatments
Omega-3 fatty acids (EPA, ~1100mg/day)

Treatment Experience
After being on Citalopram 60 mg/day for a while, I managed to convince my psychiatrist that my medication should be augmented with Buspirone, a Serotonine-1a receptor partial agonist, based on some sparse literature I found about the subject.I guess I was lucky, because it basically got rid of all my anxiety related problems. I'm now down to 10 mg of Citalopram a day and I 'augment' with 45 mg of Buspirone.

Update:
Now stopped taking Citalopram and went down to 30mg/day of Buspirone.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default waste of time

Posted by kim00
I have severe social anxiety, and panic disorder (there have been other anxiety-related diagnoses, but I can't remember them all).

Treatment Experience
My therapist put me on this because he was against putting me on a benzo. Since it is an anxiolytic I thought it would at least do something to help.

I started taking it and over the course of about 3 months I got up to 50mg/a day. I didn't feel any noticeable relief of anxiety symptoms at all from the beginning, but my therapist just kept encouraging me to up the dosage and try to "believe" the medication was working.

I didn't notice any decrease in anxiety symptoms at any point during my treatment. In fact, if it hadn't been for the side effects, I wouldn't have been able to tell I'd taken it at all.

The side effects were few, but they got to be pretty bothersome at times. I often had sudden extreme dizziness, and strange jerky sensations in my neck and face. I've read that those involuntary "ticks" can become permanent when a person takes a high dosage over a long period of time. Also, when I was sitting in class, I would sometimes get these sudden bursts of what I can only describe as excited energy, but they weren't enjoyable or helpful. It was kind of an "I have to jump up and go somewhere or I'll scream in front of all these people" feeling....almost obsessive-compulsive.

So eventually I tapered off of them. I'm surprised at some of the higher ratings people have given this medication. By itself it does nothing, and I personally think any success acheived by augmenting an anti-depressant with this drug is more of a placebo effect than anything.

Sorry to be long-winded, but I just want to save other people the time and money and hope they might invest in this useless pill.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Sugar Pill

Posted by UltraShy
As screwed up as possible.

Other Treatments
Too long to list all my failures.

Treatment Experience
The only good thing I can say about Buspar is that it lacks any apparent side effects.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Grrr

Posted by soulsins
Treatment Experience
This was a waste of 4 dollars for me..
had no effect what so ever.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post

Posted by soulsins
Treatment Experience
This was a waste of 4 dollars for me..
had no effect what so ever.
i agree with you
all it did was give me headaches and make me put on weight
did nothing for the anxiety whatsoever

waste of time money and energy

Do you think we choose the times into which we are born? Or do we fit the times we are born into?-Abraham Lincoln
Arisa1536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

I took Buspar about five years ago for a few months. I eventually had to stop taking it because it made me so dizzy I could hardly walk. This effect lasted around 45 minutes. Other than that, I didn't notice much of an effect.
yesanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

All it did for me was making me a goofbag. It helped (%40) after I didnt use buspar as first day use second day no use and third use and so on... Even xanax 0.5 mg has no use. Darn 500 ml of %5 alc. beer has the best remedy lasts 4-5 hours %100 anxiety relief problem is the liver is not alcohol proof, daily 2-3 beers could cost me Cirrhosis in later years.
erolsipar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Was prescribed BusPar after having problems with Klonopin, did absolutely nothing, even when I drank grapefruit juice with it, which makes peak concentration something like 300
% higher
micmac28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by micmac28 View Post
Was prescribed BusPar after having problems with Klonopin, did absolutely nothing, even when I drank grapefruit juice with it, which makes peak concentration something like 300
% higher
What mg dosage were you on? BTW, Welcome to SAS.

This med didn't work for me either. I was taking 20mg. I couldn't ever get to the maximum dosage (60mg), because it was making me feel so sick.
redtogo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtogo72 View Post
What mg dosage were you on? BTW, Welcome to SAS.

This med didn't work for me either. I was taking 20mg. I couldn't ever get to the maximum dosage (60mg), because it was making me feel so sick.
I don't remember the dose, but it was probably 20mg. Thanks for the welcome! What do you mean by sick?
Old 06-04-2010, 01:23 AM   #13 (permalink)

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by micmac28 View Post
I don't remember the dose, but it was probably 20mg. Thanks for the welcome! What do you mean by sick?
You do realize that it is completely different than xanax and when you stated it didn't do anything, and you tried drinking grapefruit juice is just ridiculous and shows your immaturity to make it 30x stronger. This medication is nothing LIKE xanax, it is a completely different medication and it takes 1-2 weeks to even begin a initial effect on SA. God so much ignorance and dumb people.. Seriously drinking grapefruit juice on BuSpar? Are you as dull as I think?
metallicafan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:15 AM   #14 (permalink)

lol of course I reailze it's completely different from the benzos. And I gave it a chance. 3 x a day for 4 weeks. Maybe in combination with an antidepressant it would help better for anxiety than on its own.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

How long have you guys been on Buspirone? I've been taking half a pill of 10 mg twice a day for about two weeks now.

I'm starting to see a slight relief with my physical anxiety symptoms. I've got to go back to my doc at the end of the month to see how things are going.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:13 PM   #16 (permalink)

did absolutely nothing...not even any side effects...i wondered if they'd given me sugar pills.
MandyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:59 PM   #17 (permalink)

Default no gooooood !!!!!!!!!

I was taking paxil for a long time over 5 years I was also taking daytrona for add. The combination worked great for sa and my add. Recently lost heath insurance did not want to pay full price to see my over paid doctor. So I stopped taking medication major side effects came into play from coming off the paxil. Two or three weeks later all my problems were back. Finally I coughed up the money and went back to my doctor, was worried about going back on the paxil after experiencing the side effects so my doctor put me on buspar with the same add med. I was taking before. It has been almost three months and my problems with SA are not better at all almost worse. I am in sales and you can imagine the problems I am having on a regular basis with SA this medication has done absolutlly nothing my patience has run out. Now Im going to have to go back to the doctor and try to get on paxil again. Other than weird headaches in the morning this medication has done nothing.
tygrbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:12 AM   #18 (permalink)

I gained ten pounds from this after three months and decided to call it quits because it just wasn't worth it. this so far has been the only med that made me gain weight.
Angeletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:15 PM   #19 (permalink)

A couple weeks ago, my anxiety tripled to the point that I was having a non stop anxiety attack all day and night. I was going to the ER several times a week. My doctor put me on 30 mg of Buspirone and it significantly improved the same day. The first few days I did feel "drugged up," but now I don't really feel any effects after I take it. I am still getting some anxiety, but hopefully after another couple of weeks, this med should fully be in my system and I am hoping the anxiety will stop. I also take .5 mg of Lorazepam (Ativan) twice a day and 1 mg Lorazepam at night to help me sleep. The combination has definitely taken the edge off but the anxiety is not completely gone yet. I am hopeful though. My psychiatrist wanted me to add 10 mg of Lexapro, which I tried 5 mg and about jumped out of my skin. I was having severe nausea, heat flashes, and my brain felt fried. I am too scared to try it again.
Ren1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:38 PM   #20 (permalink)

Buspar is only approved for generalized anxiety disorder it will not help panic like Xanax, nor does it show any eficacy due to social anxiety disorder
Physicians like it because it is not a controlled substance, is non addictive, and does not interact with alcohol

Their is a theory that is is useless in people taking benzodiazepines but I cannot document this

It takes a few weeks to kick in so maybe it should be labeled as a mild antidepresant

My Doc increased my dose from 20 to 30mg a day in thre divided doses

I cannot tell any diference when I take it or when I don't

I think it is fairly useless
jerst is offline   Reply With Quote