Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Treatment Reviews > Medication > Miscellaneous Antidepressants

Like Tree6 Liked Posts

Old 02-26-2010, 12:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Wellbutrin XL (bupropion)

Bupropion (Wellbutrin, Zyban) is an atypical antidepressant that acts as a norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitor, and nicotinic antagonist.

More info:User ratings/reviews:
Helena_SAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Good for depression, nothing for SA

(Copied over from old review system)

Posted by Mr. Orange
Social Anxiety Background
I have recently found out that my grandfather was depressed partially due to unsatisfactory social skills, so I am guessing that he had SA. My brother and one of my sisters are pretty shy as well, so I think it might be genetic.

Personally, I have always been very shy, and in High School I had quite a few good friends, but when I was in a class without them, I never raised my hand, never did the group work, and swea/turned red a lot. I didn't really make the connection to any real problem until I went to college, and could barely talk to anyone, and avoided most people. I then realized I had SA. Full blown depression did not come until my sophomore year, when I tried to come out of my shell but realized how debilitating this problem really was. I then dropped out of my last semester of college last year, because of depression more than anything else. Now I am just trying to get back on the ground, and put my best foot forward.

Other Treatments
Clonazepam (1mg/day for 30 days; no longer take it)

Treatment Experience
I started taking Wellbutrin almost 2 months ago. I started off on a dose of 150mg, and then upped it to 300mg after a week. Before I had taken it, I was slipping into an even deeper depression than I had been for a while. After about 4 weeks or so, I began to notice that my mood was elevated quite a bit, and I was not hitting the same lows that I was hitting before. I began to feel a lot more enjoyment out of life. And though I am still depressed quite a bit, it is far more infrequent, and I don't plunge into the deepest depths like I used to.

As for SA, I went into this treatment realizing that it would do nothing to help me there. But depression is a bigger concern to me than SA, and I didn't want to try an SSRI again, so I went on Wellbutrin. As expected, it did not help my SA, but I feel like the benefits make the drug worth it.

As for side effects, the most noticable one has been insomnia. Some nights I will be exhausted, but still not able to fall asleep because of it. It can be pretty bad, but it is really the only issue I have run across.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Wellbutrin XL (bupropion)

Posted by Foh_Teej
Treatment Experience
The side effects of WB are quite a bit more tolerable to most other "first line treatment" options but they aren't all exactly a bag of sunshine either. I lost 20lbs in a matter of 2 weeks and quit smoking when I had no intention of doing so. Still cigarette free to this day....thanks ALOT for that WB! The biggest complaint with SSRIs is usually sexual....well WB went to the opposite side of the spectrum and gave me a raging libido. Sounds all fine and dandy till you catch your bed sheets and dry wall on fire. I wouldn't necessarily call that a negative side effect but it does get annoying. A few weeks into using it, I developed major coordination problems where my brain would tell my legs where to walk, but my body decided it would rather run into things like walls instead . It can make you a little restless but nothing I'd consider to be insomnia. Finally, WB was a hell of a mood booster and motivator but it did jack for SA in and of itself.

Not to slight WB and its usefulness but my 2 star "OK" rating is based on how well it worked for anxiety. Overall, my experience with WB was pleasent. Best case scenario, it wont cause an increase in anxiety (as it didnt in me) but does tend to do so in many. Not that others shouldnt consider using and/or augmenting with other treatment as It does have its uses in certain situations.

Final verdict: Wont do much of anything for anxiety per se but it may help underlying issues with depression and apathy and allow for a more positive outlook and motivation that may indirectly help your battle with SA.
prufessional likes this.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Nothing

Posted by livingnsilence
Social anxiety runs in my family and I don't respond to exposure or therapy, so my SA is probably genetic

Other Treatments
Clonazepam

Treatment Experience
I took generic Wellbutrin XL 150mg for a month and a half and it was nothing more than an expensive sugar pill for me.

I will add that I tend to have a high resistance to many differnt meds so it may had been to low of a dose for me.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Made me manic.

Posted by Bullheaded
Treatment Experience
I was on Wellbutrin XL earlier this year for about 5 1/2 weeks. It was prescribed for my depression and anxiety.
It definitely took care of my fatigue, but in the 5th week, when I was up to 150mg taken twice daily, I started going into rages. I mean - really, really bad rages. I punched a hole through my door and one of my walls over a matter of 2 days. I was forced to drive around for 2 hours one day when I was just about to pull into my driveway because I could feel the rage and just knew I'd punch my housemate in the face (we were on bad terms at the time) if I walked in and saw her.

That's not me. This drug made me feel homicidal.
I went cold turkey and felt "normal" by the 5th day of being off of it.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Has me full of energy and motivation

Posted by rustybob
Had social anxiety pretty much forever from growing up in a racist town. Definitely not the textbook social anxiety case, as I did have friends, played team sports, worked since I was 10 years old, did sales jobs, etc etc. I never realized I had it until I finally decided to fix my sleep problems.

My whole life I've been unable to get more than 1.5 hours straight of sleep (unless I was sick). So even though I got 8 hours I still felt like crap. This is what initially got me into trying to figure out what's wrong with me. Once I seen the list of symptoms for seratonin deficiency I knew that was my problem. My whole life have suffered from a lack of energy and motivation.

Other Treatments
Ativan (although this was initially prescribed for sleep)
Valium (not obtained through a doctor, worked great though)
Zoloft (Awful)
Remeron (Amazing, has me feeling like a normal person)
5-HTP (Helped mood slightly, sleep was just as bad due to crazy nightmares)

Treatment Experience
First started taking Wellbutrin while I was on Zoloft to (hopefully) counteract the sexual side effects. Never really got the chance to find out as I dropped Zoloft pretty quick after I started taking Wellbutrin.

I'm currently on 300mg/day (2x150) of Wellbutrin, and 45mg of Remeron, and for the first time in my life I feel "normal". For social anxiety, I would say it has helped indirectly. My social anxiety was never a textbook case, so for me just having the energy and motivation to be active and social has been extremely beneficial.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Nothing EVER

Posted by UltraShy
Treatment Experience
Taking 300 mg. Today will be my 17th day and so far I haven't noticed any effect other than dry mouth perhaps, though that could be due to the dry winter air.

I don't seriously expect it to work, but I have to jump through this stupid hoop before I can get amphetamines.

I'm editing this to say that tomorrow will be my last pill after 78 days. I went to 450 mg, the max recommended dose, and stayed at that level for at least 5 weeks and still it did absolutely nothing.

Another failed sugar pill to add to my stunningly long list of failures. Thank you big pharma for providing me with more garbage.
thebadshepard likes this.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Motivated me

Posted by Keith
Other Treatments
risperdal 1mg 2x a day prozac 60mg 1x a day klonopin 1mg 1-3x a day

Treatment Experience
I felt extremely motivated when i was on this drug. I think it made me hypomanic but compared to being depressed it was fun. Didnt make me want to quit smoking or help withh ssri sexual side effects but i was on only 150mg. Gave me a temporary tic both times i took it . I kept constantly touching my nose, bizarre but went away after a week. It was too expensive 50$ a month for me to stay on. Overall though it helped with my depression, didnt do much of anything for my anxiety, if anything made it slightly worse.UPDATE I have been perscribed wellbutrin for about the 4th time this time for sexual side effects and it actually worked this time!
Old 03-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default Watch out!

Posted by MissMay1977
Treatment Experience
This med relieved my depression but gave me HORRIBLE BAD BREATH and I always had a nasty taste in my mouth. For me, the side effects were not worth taking the med.
userh6478 likes this.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default Felt like death

Posted by ecotec83
Other Treatments
Remeron
Paxil
Celexa
Lexapro

Treatment Experience
I was put on 10 mg lexapro and 150mg of generic wellbutrin xr 2x daily. After less than a day i started to experience difficulty urinating and stopped the lexapro as i thought it was likely the culprit. I also started to sleep less. Two days into the treatment my libido went so high it was almost scary and i began to have worse problems sleeping, 2 hours a night. By the third day i was nauseous to the extent of not being able to eat and suffering from severe anxiety and paranoid thoughts. I also started to feel jumpy and restless. I slept 1 hour that night. By the fourth day i was having sexual release problems which is odd considering wellbutrin is prescribe to combat ssri induced sexual problems. It was not pleasant to be so aroused yet unable to do anything about it. On the fifth and final day of taking this medication i slept 45 minutes. I also started to have muscle convulsions and twitching, at one point i heard a loud noise in my head/ears accompanied by a flash of light that made my jaw close painfully. It may have been a seizure but i'm not sure. The whole time i was on it i had racing thoughts, at times 6-7 different things at once were running through my head, severe restless legs and headaches. I felt so emotionally exhausted that i could barely function yet at the same time i felt like i was taking some kind of stimulant narcotic because i was so restless. It is probably the worst anti-depressant i have ever taken side effect wise despite claims that it is well tolerated. Perhaps the fact that mine was a generic had something to do with it as there seems to be some claims that the brand name is more effective.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default Bad side effects

Posted by g1gglez
My father was in the military so we moved around alot. I was always the new kid. When I was younger it was easier to make friends. It got harder when I got in my teens. I guess thats when my SA started around eighth grade. When I started at a new school,everybody already had their own clicks and knew each other since elementary school. I always felt like I didn't fit in with any of these clicks. I was also treated like a outsider because I wasn't like everybody else. Every place I moved to the people were different than the last place I lived. It was hard to adjust to all these different places/people.

Other Treatments
Cymbalta worked for me until I had my miscarriage, then it didn't work anymore. I'm trying lexapro to see if it helps me.

Treatment Experience
Wellbutrin helped my anxiety/depression but it gave me horrible side effects. It upset my stomach, gave me terrible gas and constipation. It also made me have like a body odor. I showered everyday but it was like coming out of my pores. I had to stop taking this drug immediately. I had started on a new shift the same time I started wellbutrin. Bad way to make a first impression. It was so embarrassing to be at work while having these side effects. I just wanted to crawl under a rock.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

Default Some Wellbutrin generic MAY make you sick because time-release not same as brand

Some Wellbutrin generic MAY make you sick because time-release not same as brand

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...release-86324/

The Good:
I like Wellbutrin. I have fatigue and pretty bad depression and it helps with both. I does give me insomnia though. All the other anti-depressants SSRI's have sexual side effects and that sucks. (Some articles say that it can be permanant sexual side effects from SSRIs.) Wellbutrin actually helps though. Dr. Phil even mentioned that in one of his shows.

The bad:
It does give me insomnia.
rickthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:56 PM   #13 (permalink)

Pro:
Gave me energy. Took the edge off depression. Felt like it helped my asthma.

Con:
Constipation.
Also weirdly, had much nasal congestion. Was pretty bad. Not much help for SA nor ADHD.

After a while, it felt like water. Although could be because I wasn't taking regularly.

I am now combining with adderall. We'll see how is goes.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:49 AM   #14 (permalink)

Pros: It gives me quite a bit of energy and depression is no longer a serious problem (before I'd often fantasize about suicide).

cons: It increases my anxiety and can make me pretty angry and irritable (taking clonazapam makes this go away though). Also, even the generic form of the drug is really expensive. It can keep me awake at night if I take it too close to bedtime.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
CCS

Ohhhh lordy. I refuse to take Wellbutrin anymore. It gave me a ton of energy but it also made me want to kill myself. It made me go as far as to google ways to do it. Yes it makes you feel amazing but out of nowhere you get this weird feeling of extreme sadness and hopelessness that makes you just want to die.

It also turned me into a complete apathetic prick which is no good at all.
CCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post

Posted by Mr. Orange
I have recently found out that my grandfather was depressed partially due to unsatisfactory social skills, so I am guessing that he had SA. My brother and one of my sisters are pretty shy as well, so I think it might be genetic.

Personally, I have always been very shy, and in High School I had quite a few good friends, but when I was in a class without them, I never raised my hand, never did the group work, and swea/turned red a lot. I didn't really make the connection to any real problem until I went to college, and could barely talk to anyone, and avoided most people. I then realized I had SA. Full blown depression did not come until my sophomore year, when I tried to come out of my shell but realized how debilitating this problem really was. I then dropped out of my last semester of college last year, because of depression more than anything else. Now I am just trying to get back on the ground, and put my best foot forward.

Other Treatments
Clonazepam (1mg/day for 30 days; no longer take it)

Treatment Experience
I started taking Wellbutrin almost 2 months ago. I started off on a dose of 150mg, and then upped it to 300mg after a week. Before I had taken it, I was slipping into an even deeper depression than I had been for a while. After about 4 weeks or so, I began to notice that my mood was elevated quite a bit, and I was not hitting the same lows that I was hitting before. I began to feel a lot more enjoyment out of life. And though I am still depressed quite a bit, it is far more infrequent, and I don't plunge into the deepest depths like I used to.

As for SA, I went into this treatment realizing that it would do nothing to help me there. But depression is a bigger concern to me than SA, and I didn't want to try an SSRI again, so I went on Wellbutrin. As expected, it did not help my SA, but I feel like the benefits make the drug worth it.

As for side effects, the most noticable one has been insomnia. Some nights I will be exhausted, but still not able to fall asleep because of it. It can be pretty bad, but it is really the only issue I have run across.
I also take Wellbutrin (150 mg) in the morning and I take Seroquel (100 mg) at night. The Seroquel pretty much knocks me out for the night after about 40 minutes to an hour. This combo works well for me.
movingforward80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:33 PM   #17 (permalink)

I have a question; my doctor has just put me on this, as well as prescribing me Ativan for those instances when I need to get out of anxiety fast. I don't have insurance, and had my prescriptions filled at Walgreens. The cost of the Ativan was $11.99. The cost of the Wellbutrin was ONE HUNDRED FOURTY FOUR DOLLARS for a 30 day supply of 150mg. There is no way I'll be able to afford to stay on this regardless of if it works or not at that price. My question is, is there anywhere I can get it cheaper? In response to the comment earlier, $50 a month IS a price I can handle.
filmfidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:09 PM   #18 (permalink)

Thumbs down

made me jittery and turned me into SUPER B*TCH. it was *so* bad, i couldn't even stand to be around MYSELF.

the only good thing it did was decrease my desire to smoke (it's prescribed for that as well, often under a different name).
MandyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:54 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfidelity View Post
I have a question; my doctor has just put me on this, as well as prescribing me Ativan for those instances when I need to get out of anxiety fast. I don't have insurance, and had my prescriptions filled at Walgreens. The cost of the Ativan was $11.99. The cost of the Wellbutrin was ONE HUNDRED FOURTY FOUR DOLLARS for a 30 day supply of 150mg. There is no way I'll be able to afford to stay on this regardless of if it works or not at that price. My question is, is there anywhere I can get it cheaper? In response to the comment earlier, $50 a month IS a price I can handle.
My therapist just prescribed me Wellbutrin, so I'm getting ready to start it myself. I just wanted to say that CVS has a program apparently that can help with the costs of medication. I'm not sure you qualify of course, but you should SERIOUSLY look into that. Anyone reading this should look into it. I only paid $5.50 to get it filled, but then again, I don't have a job or anything at the moment and i'm not 100% how it works since my therapist called in the request for me.

"Well, I like you. You're nice, and you're funny, and you don't smoke. Yeah, okay, werewolf, but...that's not all the time. I mean, three days out of the month, I'm not much fun to be around either.." - Willow, Buffy the Vampire Slayer
catalinahx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:49 AM   #20 (permalink)

Default Bupropion cost

Always check the cash price at Costco (I don't think you need a membership to fill Rx there.) I am a Walgreens pharmacist and I know for a fact costco has many generics for less than $20 that are well over $100 at Walgreens. They are wholesale, and don't accept a lot of insurances, so you can save alot of money, especially if you are uninsured.
Kendra is offline   Reply With Quote