Remeron (mirtazapine) - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Treatment Reviews > Medication > Miscellaneous Antidepressants

Like Tree4 Liked Posts

Old 02-26-2010, 12:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Remeron (mirtazapine)

Mirtazapine is an antidepressant introduced by Organon International in 1994 used for the treatment of moderate to severe depression. Mirtazapine has a tetracyclic chemical structure and is classified as a noradrenergic and specific serotonergic antidepressant (NaSSA). Mirtazapine and maprotiline are the only tetracyclic antidepressants that have been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to treat depression.

More info:User ratings/reviews:
Helena_SAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Works for insomnia

(Copied over from old review system)

Posted by jim_morrison
Social Anxiety Background
Social Phobia/PTSD/Depression/Insomnia

Treatment Experience
I've taken this medication for about 5 months, at doses ranging from 15 to 60 mg. Prior to taking this I had fairly severe insomnia.

Pros
-If you have severe insomnia this drug will help you sleep like no other med.
-Does not cause some of the more typical side effects of common antidepressants such as sexual dysfunction, sleeplessness or dry mouth.

Cons -
-Even after taking this medication for several months, I still find that it leaves me very groggy and lethargic during the daytime. The brain fog is on another level.
- The associated weight gain is somewhat anoying.
- I Didn't find this drug to be particularly useful for Social phobia.
-Initially helped my depression but in the long run made it worse due to constantly being tired/lethargic.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default The one that worked

Posted by rustybob
Had social anxiety pretty much forever from growing up in a racist town. Definitely not the textbook social anxiety case, as I did have friends, played team sports, worked since I was 10 years old, did sales jobs, etc etc. I never realized I had it until I finally decided to fix my sleep problems.

My whole life I've been unable to get more than 1.5 hours straight of sleep (unless I was sick). So even though I got 8 hours I still felt like crap. This is what initially got me into trying to figure out what's wrong with me. Once I seen the list of symptoms for seratonin deficiency I knew that was my problem. My whole life have suffered from a lack of energy and motivation.

Other Treatments
Ativan (although this was initially prescribed for sleep)
Valium (not obtained through a doctor, worked great though)
Zoloft (Awful)
Wellbutrin (Still using, working great with Remeron)
5-HTP (Helped mood slightly, sleep was just as bad due to crazy nightmares)

Treatment Experience
Asked my doctor to prescribe me Remeron after Zoloft failed miserably. This seemed like the ideal drug for me, since it would help both my social anxiety and sleep issues without sexual side effects. It has worked better than I could've expected, with basically all of Remeron's side effects being couteracted by Wellbutrin.

Within the first night of taking it, I went from 1.5 hours straight of sleep to 3 hours. Within 4 weeks I was up to 6 straight hours. Right now I can get a full 8 hours of sleep, and I feel amazing because of that.

For social anxiety, the changes started about a week in, with the full effect reached about 7 weeks in. It hasn't "cured" my social anxiety, but it got me 90% of the way towards overcoming it. Now that I'm about 6 months in I'm probably 98% of the way towards overcoming it.

The most amazing thing with Remeron for me is that for most of my life I pretty much had a complete inability to feel. Within 2 weeks of taking Remeron that started to change. Now I can feel happy, be upset, be angry, get pleasure from doing positive things, etc. Combined with Wellbutrin to give me energy and motivation, I'm about as close to normal as I've ever been.

Side effects are basically non-existant for me. The Wellbutrin has stopped some of the munchies, and gives me the energy to live an active lifestyle. Also, instead of eating junk food when it gives me the munchies, I always have fruit laying around the house to eat instead. As such, I've lost weight since being on both drugs.

My dose is 45mg that I take in the morning. At 15 and 30mg it did leave me tired and groggy.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default This is what I've been taking for the last 6 months

Posted by thisisfraser
Treatment Experience
I personally can't say enough good for this medication. It has a very nice sedative effect and makes going to bed very very easy.

Before I started taking this I could never get to sleep and if I did it was only for a couple hours. I've used this now for the last 6 months and can say that I am sleeping much better now than I ever was before. Also has done wonders to help bring my general anxiety and depression down. Plus the beauty of it is that I feel human when I wake up in the morning instead of like a zombie when I was taking Effexor.
jim_morrison likes this.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default What Sleep?

Posted by UltraShy
Treatment Experience
I only tried Remeron as a sleep aid years ago, taking 15 mg since this is supposed to be an odd drug where the side effects, including drowsiness, are most intense at lower doses.

Like most drugs, it didn't sedate me in the least.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Remeron

Posted by MaidMarian
Moderate to severe SA.

Other Treatments
?

Treatment Experience
I took this medication for a while because of anxiety/depression with major sleep difficulties. It made falling asleep, and staying asleep, really easy. I don't remember if it had a positive effect on my anxiety/depression. However, I did gain a great deal of weight when I was taking it, which wasn't good, so eventually I had to go off of it.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Holy Lethargy, Batman!

Posted by Aerfen
Severe Generalised Social Phobia

Treatment Experience
Remeron was the first antidepressant I took. It made me so drowsy! My head felt like it weighed a twice as much as the rest of me and I quite literally had to crawl around because of this. It was absurd. However, the sleep was nice as I tend to be an insomniac! This drug did absolutely nothing for my anxiety or depression, and I made it to the maximum dosage. Definitely did not gel with my brain chemistry.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_morrison View Post
LaRibbon; Mirtazapine is basically a potent sedative, and a mild noradrenaline, serotonin, and dopamine releaser (responsible for the antidepressant effects). So on it's own it is essentially just good for sleep.

IMO it's efficacy as an antidepressant usually seems to be more prominent in cases where it's added to SNRI's (look up california rocket fuel on google etc) because they potentiate the antidepressant effect of eachother.
I don't know if this is the right place to say this, but thanks a lot for your posts, it has really been helpful to me. I'm currently taking Mirtazapine as well, but it has probably only given me about 5% relief from my symptoms. I was wary about taking Mirtazapine with Effexor from the get go, because I feared Effexor would cause negative sexual side effects, but it seems you did not experience that with Effexor. Do you think taking Mirtazapine with Effexor would keep the sexual side effects at bay like people report with Welbutrin?

Also, since this is supposed to be a review thread, I can safely say that Mirtazapine did not do jack for my social anxiety. I had a presentation last week and I was absoluetly terrified and had to get yet another F. However, I've recently begun taking 30 mg and night and I feel a little calmer and more relaxed about an hour after taking it, very similar to what .5 mg of Xanax feels like to me.
yogaflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
I don't know if this is the right place to say this, but thanks a lot for your posts, it has really been helpful to me. I'm currently taking Mirtazapine as well, but it has probably only given me about 5% relief from my symptoms. I was wary about taking Mirtazapine with Effexor from the get go, because I feared Effexor would cause negative sexual side effects, but it seems you did not experience that with Effexor. Do you think taking Mirtazapine with Effexor would keep the sexual side effects at bay like people report with Welbutrin?
Yeah a common finding seems to be that in the range of 225-300 mg Effexor doesn't have quite as bad sexual side effects, as it's noradrenergic and weakly dopaminergic effects are said to be more prominent in that dose range (So it kind of has some effects like Welllbutrin at higher doses), but yeah Mirtazapine could possibly also reverse them since it blocks certain serotonin receptors which would usually be associated with sexual dysfunction when stimulated by an SSRI/SNRI.

jim_morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

SA since 16, depression since 10.

Treatment Experience
Now I've been on it for a 2 months perhaps more, and it's EXTREMELY excellent for sleep. I don't know why it's not prescribed more for sleep disorders actually. I haven't experienced any change in depression / anxiety though. After trying 30mg, I had to go back to 15mg, as the higher dose seems to be more stimulating and actually made me more anxious and I didn't sleep as well. The down side is weight gain, but it's not much.

wrongnumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

did nothing...then again, i stopped taking it after the first month, because i was extremely worried about its potential to cause weight gain.
MandyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

Mirtazapine did not agree with me. It made me agitated, irritable and angry at the smallest things. It really did help me sleep though, upto 12hours but when I woke up I felt drugged out most of the day.

I started on 15mg then tried 30mg in an attempt to curb the sedated daytime stone. Didn't notice much difference between the 15mg/30mg. I then spent a few nights of 7.5mg. This stopped the irritability and still got me to sleep (not as rapidly as 15/30mg) and then I stopped all together. I only lasted a week, felt more depressed and anxiety was not affected postively nor negitively. Overal gave me an uneasy feeling which I wasn't too eager to extend.

I am now taking pristiq 50mg. Haven't noticed any side effects yet, don't even know if it is doing anything. After reading about californian rocket fuel I am tempted to try the mix however I think I will just allow the pristiq time to do its job seeing as I am having no side effects (very good).
losttheforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRibbon View Post
For me:
At 15 mg it isn't helping with anxiety or depression.
At 30 mg it's actually making my anxiety worse.

As far as I can tell it's only good for sleep.
jestech likes this.
micmac28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:32 PM   #14 (permalink)

Default Mirtazapine - works for my anxiety but side effects not nice

I started Mirtazapine just under 2 years ago for anxiety, I suffered severe health anxiety when I was sick (finally diagnosed with Coealic Disease) but that was my trigger for anxiety.

The Mirtazpine has been working well although I have gained alot of weight, I have a noticeably shorter temper and the tiredness in the morning. So I gave it a go to come off, did is gradually and then I was on no meds for 4 weeks, first three weeks was ok, then all of a sudden anxiety was back, couldnt sleep at all, the anxiety was coming on so severe I couldn't function, I was so scared. I had to go back on, I have been on them again for about 1 week and my anxiety has improved already.

I am worried about these side effects although so scared to try something else the anxiety I suffered in the last week was a reminder just how horrible anxiety is.

Any advise for others who have been on Mirtazapine.

Thanks
Anxiouslil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #15 (permalink)

I've never heard of this until now. My mom was prescribed it for depression, but it's not an ssri. What exactly is it? It'll probably work for my mom because she's highly suggestible, I'm sure the placebo effect will just help her.
King Moonracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:02 PM   #16 (permalink)

anyone else have sexual side effects with remeron? I thought there wasn't supposed to be any. I'm experiencing the awesome duo of difficulty getting an erection and then premature ejaculation. been on it for about 6 weeks at 30mgs. Great for sleep. doesn't do much for sa or depression. my doc wants to augment it with nortriptyline
sandman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #17 (permalink)

Helps me to sleep at night. Definitely increases my appetite, and seems to dull that "i'm full" feeling. Gained weight, which I wanted, but hopefully don't gain too much more. Subtle effects on anxiety so far. I have more motivation to do things now, which is good.
behindblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #18 (permalink)

For me, Remeron was a sledgehammeresque brain fogger with an eye blurrer mixed in for good measure. Elephant tranquilizer comes to mind. Maybe my dosage was too high. In any event, it scared me away after the first try.
kesker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:21 AM   #19 (permalink)

took it for a year and a half at 45mg. completely ineffective on both depression and anxiety. if possible, worsening them. NaSSa don't let serotonin flow. On the other side that's the most hypnotic med I've tried even at the dosage of 15mg. Mild aphrodisia at beginning of treatment. Urge to gamble (while not on paroxetine).
jim_morrison likes this.
swim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:14 PM   #20 (permalink)

First off, let me just say that this med is not an antidepressant. It's a powerful anti-histamine which in effect has anti-depressant qualities. Just like almost all anti-histamines it has serotonin and norepinephrine effects. This one just happens to have more prominent effects. The manufactures figured they could make more money off of it as an anti-depressant than an antihistamine or sleep aid. Probably not a wise decision on their part.

I only took this stuff once. It basically knocked me out within an hour then took about 4 hours to experience any anti-anxiety effects. It was nice but also gave me somewhat of a light spacey type of depression. I think that had to do with the anti-histamine effects. The worst part is that it made me super agitated and constantly on edge. I was just really annoyed by everyone. I felt like I was obviously expressing this annoyance to people (I work in retail management) but nobody seemed to notice or be bothered by it. It was weird. It was like, "Your annoying me right now and I feel like I'm making this perfectly clear to you but your not bothered by it at all...I don't get it." I also felt super rushed, as if I just wanted to get my work done and then just do absolutely nothing. I'm going to try it again, but this time at night because It makes me way to drowsy.
jaxen is offline   Reply With Quote