Parnate (tranylcypromine) [MAOI] - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Community and Website Administrator

My Mood: Fine
Parnate (tranylcypromine) [MAOI]

Parnate is classified as a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI). It has been prescribed less frequently in recent years despite its high efficacy, due in part to the increasing popularity of newer SSRIs.

For these reasons, many scientists believe that Parnate and other MAOIs should be prescribed for SAD rather newer antidepressants, despite the diet limitations and risk of high blood pressure that accompanies them.

More info:User ratings/reviews:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Community and Website Administrator

My Mood: Fine
Parnate

(Copied over from old review system)

Posted by buzzhair
Social Anxiety Background
one of 7 in family second last to be born. mmm shy from about 6yrs of age. Friendly to a degree but if people i didnt know came into my orbit..very very difficult. Few trusted friends ..as it today for me they have to have a good heart make me laugh or value me as an individual.

Other Treatments
For the last 2yrs i have been seeing a FANTASTIC therapist..up until he came into my alone world i would hate to think just where i would be. Things have been that bad ideation was a constant unwelcome company. i see him twice a week,many many to many tears of the lost years. Average intelligence i found being around people i didnt know in starting a new job so overwhelming . Sadly i have never reached my full potential. lucks a fortune i found a job in a big company where i was just a very small wheel, able to go sit in the mens room..or locker room if s.a was doing my head in. Made redundant fell into a complete breakdown..i had been there for twenty years..so the revolving door of doctors and treatments. It was not until i went to a doctor in 1996 i was told of my predicament. If that has any interest to anyone please come back to me please.

Treatment Experience
After many years being treated with all if not most meds. My treating doctor suggested Parnate a MAOI class of med. As i tell my treating doctors etc. I expressed a little movement with Parnate..so they added avidant or avident for the anxiety part..fog head today not sure if i have spelled above correctly. Apart from today and yesterday..i experienced the ability to converse with individuals i didnt know. Mind you i had sun glasses on..never the less i was thrilled. Today is an ugly day..i see this week doctors maybe some tweeking of meds..also i have ocd anx/dep comorbid stuff that comes with it all.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 01:46 AM
Permanently Banned

Smile Omg it's working!!!!

I've tried almost every medication without success.

Finally parnate actually works. Here's my story week by week

Week 1 - Euphoric feeling. Felt quite high and ontop of the world. Slightly dizzy. I ate soy sauce as I read food interactions were overrated (They are not). The soy sauce gave me quite a strong headache. Anxiety was still quite high. Extreme insomnia (I no longer needed to sleep). I'm super full of energy and bound off walls!

During week 1 I took 10 mg parnate for 3 days then 20mg.

Week 2 - SA is extremely down. 70% of SA is gone. Note I still feel quite tense and a bit too on edge however, the anxiety no longer controls me. I am far more social and comfortable talking to girls and superior figures. The euphoric feeling has decreased. I feel a little dizzy and still have insomnia however, it is not as bad. I'm still a bit to full of energy. Parnate seems to have a stimulating effect.

During week 2 I took 40mg parnate.

Week 3 SA is still down about 70% which is great! Still pretty tense but I'm pretty happy with this medication. I've noticed a fair increase in derealisation and I'm a little dizzy at times. That being said the side effects are totally bareable compared with other medications. My appeitite has decreased slightly and I believe I will lose a little weight. My energy levels are slowly starting to normalise however, I am still very energetic and throw myself around. I have also noticed

And you know the best part!! NO SEXUAL SIDE EFFECTS. In fact I'm a 24 year old guy and my sex drive has been the best it's ever been! Okay so there has been a few sexual notes:
  • Takes me longer to orgasm
  • Sexual arousal feels quite different
  • My erections are stronger
  • I feel less of an interest in masturbating yet more of an interest in having sex

Okay so bottom line is parnate is working. The side effect including insomnia are totally bareable. I might need to increase my dose to 60 mg to totally remove my SA disorder.

Re: Food interactions: It's quite easy to avoid the no go list. Really there isn't too much. That being said do take the food interactions seriously as the headache hurts if you eat something wrong . I've occasionally noticed a slight headache which I attribute to eating something with a little bit of the naughty thing your not meant to eat.

My concerns:
  • Some people say it poops out and stops working. I hope this will not be the case with me
  • I'm still very tense despite anxiety being drastically reduced
  • The insomnia is a little annoying
  • I feel a little dizzy/high/depersonalised

BUT OMFG IT WORKS. NOTHING ELSE HAS WORKED FOR ME.... Gogo Parnate ze lifesaver.

I take 40mg all in the morning as this way = less insomnia.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 05:58 PM
SAS Member

Bit of an update guys. I didn't realise I had two accounts but the post above is from me (Ash10105).

At 40mg the dosage was becoming a little less effective day by day. I have raised the dosage to 60 mg and still notice a large anxiety decrease however, it's not as good as it felt in week 3.

Also at 60mg I'm having very severe heart palpitations and an irregular heartbeat. This however, was already an existing concern it just seems to have worsened the problem. I think this would be a rare side effect however, it is extremely concerning for me.

Edit by End of Month 2.5

Still on Parnate 40MG. I went off it for a while. I didn't realise how much it was helping until I stopped the drug. Now i've restarted it I have the whole severe insomnia again but it's really helping against anxiety (I couldn't live without it any more). I still have anxiety but a solid 70% reduction in symptoms makes life liveable.

Edit by End of Month 3.5

I love Parnate. Will never stop taking it. I have a life now. I feel somewhat normal and it's great. I'm on a treatment program with Parnate 40mg, Lyrica (75+75), Licorice Root, CBT and attention training.

I'm getting much much better.

Edit month 5

My doctor suggested I stop parnate. I was occasionally getting a rise in blood pressure and although this wasn't a huge concern to me he felt the drug may do long term harm to my body. I'm now just starting Moclobemide and hoping this will also work but have heard mixed reviews.

Last edited by ihateanxiety1; 10-31-2012 at 10:58 AM. Reason: update
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 08:20 PM
SAS Member

Hi - I'm new here. I've read many of your posts. I have anxiety and OCD. New to Parnate. Started 6 weeks ago. Take 20 in the AM and 10 at noon. I love the weight loss (13 pounds so far), but I feel like crap. Irritable, lethargic, depressed, angry, - finally called my doc today and he's cutting down the dose by 10. I can't believe everybody else does so well with this.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 05:29 PM
SAS Member

I've only been on Parnate (tranylcypromine) for less than a month so take this with a grain of salt. My main problem is low energy combined with social anxiety. I hate going to stores alone. I hate clothing shopping, and I dislike shopping in general. Clubs cause extreme anxiety.

Previous medications tried:
-Paxil alone (horrible for everything)
-Wellbutrin (good for energy and depression, not too good with anxiety)
-Wellbutrin + Celexa (good overall)
-Wellbutrin + Remeron (great for depression, not good for social skils)
-Wellbutrin + Zoloft (good overall)
-Wellbutrin + Prozac (great overall)
-moclobemide (great overall)
-Nardil (perfect, but I was getting sicker as time went on)

I'll give Parnate a 5/5 rating.

Positives:
I'm simply more alive. I'm me. I'm funny. I laugh. I play with my cat a lot more. I started enjoying video games again. Parnate is not as social and outgoing as Nardil, but it's more mentally stimulating. I just feel really good.

Negatives:
Just like Nardil, low blood pressure is still a significant problem. Unless I take an 8mg ephedrine pill, my blood pressure is low enough that I can't climb stairs without getting light headed and having ringing in my ears. Parnate also seems to have a short life, maybe 3-4 hours per pill. After a few hours, I'm just dead tired and I need to take another pill. I seem to get a lot of mild headaches on Parnate as well. It's not caused by food because I'm not eating anything. I'll just take another pill after 4 hours and I have a mild headache. I treat the headache by taking a caffeine pill. The headaches are much worse if I swallow the Parnate pill, so I absorb them under my tongue. The pills taste pretty bad, but Nardil tasted much worse. Parnate absolutely does not mix with alcohol. Drinking 1 beer with Parnate causes extreme migraine headaches. That's a huge downside of this drug because most other drugs mix really well with beer. Nardil with cheap beer was awesome, but Nardil with dark beer felt confusing and weird.

I'll try to update this as things change.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 03:32 PM
SAS Member

I'm back on parnate as of today (Ash10105). Couldn't get nardil prescribed but parnate > nothing.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 04:51 AM
SAS Member

Been taking Parnate for roughly a month and a half now. I'm not sure if it's working. How long is too long for it not to show results?
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 09:40 AM
SAS Member

parnate seemed like the answer to all my problems for a little less than a year. Then I started having a big problem with low blood pressure, specially when I had to work and was under a lot of stress. At 6 pm I just had to lie down. I couldnt sleep but I just had to close my eyes and stay still. And I had to go to class in the evening! Anyway... I might be bipolar ( doctors just don't know what to make of me. They have talked about borderline pd, asperger's syndrome, psychosis and most recently, bipolar disorder). I had been told from the beginning that I needed some mood stabilizer along with parnate bcs of my mood swings but I had already tried a bunch of mood stabilizers that had given me horrible side effects so I didn't want to take any.
Parnate was the first medication that REALLY lifted my mood and gave me the stregth to do a lot of things... Too bad I started having the problem with low blood pressure and then I also started to get really irritable and aggressive. If I lowered the dosage, I'd feel depressed.
I also realized that, although I often felt no fear, I could talk non-stop and feel a bit like a robot. To the point where, when I lowered the dosage, I felt glad that I was actually feeling like a real human being, because I had feelings.
In the long run, parnate kept me from FEELING bad, but it didnt change the way I thought. And when my feelings were in accordance with my thoughts, that gave me some relief. It's a really unsettling thing to feel guilty (for instance) and numb at the same time.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 07:28 PM
SAS Member

I just started parnate today. 20mg a day. Wish me luck. I will post updates
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 09:20 PM
SAS Member

heres a update. So far so good. I feel my mood is "lifting" and don't concentrate on depression as much

Side effects. Parnate makes me feel tired sometimes. Kinda like a heavy limb feeling. Where I want to go to bed and lay down.It is alleviating a little after day 4, but day 3 and 4 I felt a wave of tiredness.

Diet wise I am mostly only eating fresh chicken, strawberry ice cream and snapple, cornbread. A little soda too, the pharmacist said soda was okay, but not coffee. I am gonna eat very bland because I don't want a cheese effect to happen.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 02:03 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersKeys405 View Post
heres a update. So far so good. I feel my mood is "lifting" and don't concentrate on depression as much

Side effects. Parnate makes me feel tired sometimes. Kinda like a heavy limb feeling. Where I want to go to bed and lay down.It is alleviating a little after day 4, but day 3 and 4 I felt a wave of tiredness.

Diet wise I am mostly only eating fresh chicken, strawberry ice cream and snapple, cornbread. A little soda too, the pharmacist said soda was okay, but not coffee. I am gonna eat very bland because I don't want a cheese effect to happen.
That's great to hear! FYI, most people (including myself) do just fine drinking coffee while on an MAOI. And the caffeine could actually help ease your hypotension too if you're getting any yet
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 03:41 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spungo View Post
I've only been on Parnate (tranylcypromine) for less than a month so take this with a grain of salt. My main problem is low energy combined with social anxiety. I hate going to stores alone. I hate clothing shopping, and I dislike shopping in general. Clubs cause extreme anxiety.

Previous medications tried:
-Paxil alone (horrible for everything)
-Wellbutrin (good for energy and depression, not too good with anxiety)
-Wellbutrin + Celexa (good overall)
-Wellbutrin + Remeron (great for depression, not good for social skils)
-Wellbutrin + Zoloft (good overall)
-Wellbutrin + Prozac (great overall)
-moclobemide (great overall)
-Nardil (perfect, but I was getting sicker as time went on)

I'll give Parnate a 5/5 rating.

Positives:
I'm simply more alive. I'm me. I'm funny. I laugh. I play with my cat a lot more. I started enjoying video games again. Parnate is not as social and outgoing as Nardil, but it's more mentally stimulating. I just feel really good.

Negatives:
Just like Nardil, low blood pressure is still a significant problem. Unless I take an 8mg ephedrine pill, my blood pressure is low enough that I can't climb stairs without getting light headed and having ringing in my ears. Parnate also seems to have a short life, maybe 3-4 hours per pill. After a few hours, I'm just dead tired and I need to take another pill. I seem to get a lot of mild headaches on Parnate as well. It's not caused by food because I'm not eating anything. I'll just take another pill after 4 hours and I have a mild headache. I treat the headache by taking a caffeine pill. The headaches are much worse if I swallow the Parnate pill, so I absorb them under my tongue. The pills taste pretty bad, but Nardil tasted much worse. Parnate absolutely does not mix with alcohol. Drinking 1 beer with Parnate causes extreme migraine headaches. That's a huge downside of this drug because most other drugs mix really well with beer. Nardil with cheap beer was awesome, but Nardil with dark beer felt confusing and weird.

I'll try to update this as things change.
Lucky, your not dead. Alcohol is not the thing that giving you headaches, It's beer. Beer has a tyramine content. It's horrible people doing beers with MAOIs. Fatal hypertensive thing.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 12:44 AM
SAS Member

I must be lucky. I have been really drunk with Nardil at 60mg, and not really had any bad problems. Can't drink wine though.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 07:17 PM
SAS Member

Tried many SSRI/Ssnri's, none of them affected my dysthymia so I tried parnate. It might be working, gonna give it more time.
Never had diet problems and it caused insomnia.
Update: it causing me a lot of anxiety and restlessness, have to stop.

Last edited by cris2433; 02-06-2015 at 04:07 PM. Reason: messed around with dosage
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 10:02 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
I must be lucky. I have been really drunk with Nardil at 60mg, and not really had any bad problems. Can't drink wine though.
Yes, beer and wine are to be avoided but vodka, gin and whisky aren't dangerous if you keep them moderate. (Yes, I've been "blasted" but dumb luck kept me from anything serious.)

MAO Inhibitors are the only thing that worked for me. After 20 years of an ever-worsening hell and a long string of "meds" that only got me deeper in a torture chamber until I got on 90 mg (6 15 mg tabs daily) of Nardil (Phenelzine) finally turned everything around 180 for the first time ever.

Currently I'm on 80 mg (8 10mg tabs daily) of Parnate (Tranylcypromine) only because I heard it was much less of a weight-gainer and even though my psych-doc opposed switching because I had stabilized on the Nardil but I was getting a general edema that Parnate wouldn't cause, so he agreed.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 10:24 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris2433 View Post
Tried many SSRI/Ssnri's, none of them affected my dysthymia so I tried parnate. It might be working, gonna give it more time.
Never had diet problems and it caused insomnia.
Update: it causing me a lot of anxiety and restlessness, have to stop.
Cris, has anybody suggested a benzodiazepine to go as an adjunctive with the Parnate? (I know how hysterical too many psych-docs can be about those but usually it's silly and they toss out that fright word, "addictive" a whole lot too loosely. Other than that, Nardil (phenelzine) might be a good option for an MAOI because it doesn't have that CNS stimulation effect that Parnate has.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 11:46 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George115 View Post
Cris, has anybody suggested a benzodiazepine to go as an adjunctive with the Parnate? (I know how hysterical too many psych-docs can be about those but usually it's silly and they toss out that fright word, "addictive" a whole lot too loosely. Other than that, Nardil (phenelzine) might be a good option for an MAOI because it doesn't have that CNS stimulation effect that Parnate has.
I did take clonazepam it did not take away the feeling. Nardil sounds like a good option.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 12:18 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris2433 View Post
I did take clonazepam it did not take away the feeling. Nardil sounds like a good option.
I'd say it was a very good option. There is the chance that you might get Xanax (alprazolam) prescribed instead of Clonazepam to get rid of that *overstimulation* because Xanax has a strikingly more profound effect on anxiety than any other benzodiazepine -- but with the current hysteria over it with docs that's just not likely to happen. (BTW> Before Xanax/Alprazolam was released there were some who wanted it classified as a drug not designated as a benzodiazepine, a drug in its own classification.)
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 05:39 PM
You can do this!

My Mood: Cheerful
Parnate changed my life. I have taken for nearly 9 years and it has been with me throughout. I have taken it for so long that I don't dare try to fully summarize it. I can only hit a few highlights.

As a younger man, I was deeply and severely depressed. I had no direction. I couldn't get out of bed. I was scared to leave my apartment in case neighbors saw me. Once on Parnate, I dated, got married. Went to graduate school and got a Master's degree. Now we're even planning kids. I've moved forward to the life I wanted.

Parnate's most profound effect has been a change in thinking habits. It's like someone infused positive thinking into my brain. Cognitive therapy in pill form. I think things like "I can do this. It will be okay. I don't have to be perfect."

It's not energizing for me - it's sedating. I have been known to take it to fall asleep. It's relaxing. It has not caused weight gain, sexual side effects, constipation, etc. Does cause midday somnolence, so I take a nap at lunchtime. I have never had a hypertensive crisis or serotonin syndrome. I never have trouble with the diet (which really just consists of avoiding some cheeses; cheddar is okay btw). It is a very safe med.

I believe it is an incredibly underrated psychiatric drug. This is particularly tragic for those of us with Social Anxiety, because it is very effective treatment. It won't work for everyone - because nothing works for everyone, but it worked for me and has a good chance at working for most people.

Medication-related posts are for brainstorming purposes only. Talk to your doctor.

My meds: Parnate, Lamictal, Wellbutrin, trazodone
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page