Manerix (moclobemide) [MAOI] - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 08:53 PM
Baaah

I am on this. Been on it for quite a few months now (3 or 4) fairly low dose (150 twice daily).

my initial reaction extremely good, I got a nice stimulation effect from it (which was useful for me) and quite a pronounced mood boost. I tried to raise to 300 twice daily and experienced quite a lot of anger and irritability. Went off it for a month or so, got a lot worse mentally, and still had a bunch of it left so hopped back on.

Social anxiety was worse in the beginning though, no doubt about it. But several months in I have (I think) less social anxiety. It is marginal, and hard to know for sure.

The thing is, the effects are subtle so they could easily be placebo, but i was pretty suicidal near Christmas, and am quite a way from that now. If its Moclobemide, then its worked great (but I tend to vary a bit anyway over time). I am more confident in its ability to help with depression than social anxiety.

Side effects, virtually none. A little dizziness on standing sometimes and a slight weird head pressure thing / headache (not sure how to describe it), may be unrelated.

No sexual sides, no weight gain, no lethargy (am doing a diet monitoring calories and metabolism is def fine). The stimulant effect isn't there anymore (only lasted a few weeks).

I strongly recommend it if only because it has pretty much no sides. Maybe it will do nothing for you but you might get a subtle benefit like I seem to have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 10:46 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKguy View Post
I would recommend it over an SSRI any day. I think it is a shame that it isn't available in America and that it isn't used more often as a first line treatment because of ignorance surrounding this drug being in the MAOI class. (i.e. it doesn't cause classic MAOI reactions to food but many don't seem to know that).
I agree. Anyone able to get it should try it before trying an SSRI. I have never had an SSRI due to the horror stories one can read her and other places. Plus my sister tried prozac but said the effect were minimal at best and a friend had cyrpalex and he had to stop after a week because he became suicidal.

The only negative stuff I her about moclobemide that it is a sugar pill. Maybe it won't help you but it also won't hurt you.
post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 01:16 PM
SAS Member

I thought I would do an update as I've now come off Moclobemide. I felt it stopped working, if it was ever working at all. I feel better off it than I have done in a long time, the 'glass wall' disassociation feeling has lifted.

I was on it for over a year and much of the time at the highest dose. It is very subtle and what it 'does' could simply be a placebo effect. And for that reason I don't think it would pull anyone out of a serious depression.

I also don't think it works for social anxiety. At the time I was on it it I felt it did something but looking back I think I was just attributing normal ups and downs to the drug. My social function didn't really change - I struggled before I was on the drug, I struggled while on the drug and I still struggle now.

I would recommend it over an SSRI as it has less side-effects. Everyone is different, you might be the one person it works well for.

One downside is ignorant medical professionals don't know what it is or how it works and probably wont prescribe it due to the MAOI label. The 'cheese effect' is non-existent, it doesn't alter blood pressure or cause any side effects of any note really.

post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 12:09 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDark View Post
The only negative stuff I her about moclobemide that it is a sugar pill. Maybe it won't help you but it also won't hurt you.
I'm on it now for over a year and it for sure is not a sugar pill. The effects are very hard to describe but simply said I am more confident. And with that a lot of things are easier, more relaxed and you worry less. And if you worry less you do more stuff you would not have done else. It's a positive cycle.

But I'm certain the mind set you enter with matters as well. You really need to want to change.
post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 07:27 AM
SAS Member

Talking

Its no way a sugar , its the first one truly helping mr in 20 yrs of trying pills but i wont shout too much praise as its early days for me 😀
post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 09:54 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxethan View Post
Just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean its not an effective medication. You have to keep in mind antidepressants don't work the same way for everyone. You can't blindly tell the world that no one should take this pill just because it didn't work for you.

This medication has been amazing for me. It took a week a notice a difference... and there were no side effects for me other than an increased libido... ( yay ) as my old SSRI's were terrible for that. I wasn't interested in sex nor could I reach orgasm when I was on SSRI's. So far so good for me.. 150 mg twice a day.

QUOTE=No Surprises;1364775]This is, bar none, the most useless medication I've ever tried. It doesn't even have side effects; it's the closest thing on the market to an inert sugar pill that you can find, with the added bonus of potentially causing serotonin syndrome if combined with other serotonergic drugs.

I went all the way up to 600 mg and experienced no benefits whatsoever -- actually, I didn't experience a damn thing aside from a mild decrease in blood pressure for about 2 hours after dosing during the first 3-5 days, and even that seemed to fade.

The only good thing I can say about it is that it's easy to quit. I stopped taking it cold turkey after consistently taking 600 mg for about three weeks and experienced no withdrawal symptoms whatsoever, which I suppose is fitting for a drug that does absolutely nothing.

Don't waste your time with this medication. If your doctor recommends it, tell them you're not interested, and if they refuse to prescribe you something else instead, get a new doctor.
[/QUOTE]
Ive just joined and read some alarmingly dangerous posts. Telling me a med is garbage n uselesss. , very dangerous as some people may stop taking it against dr orders reading your uneducated opinion even if you have tried it doesnt make you a expert. For me its going well and i wont stop taking it and. Think these dsngerous opinions should be removed. Suicide is attempted / completed in sad and via reading wrong biased info online. 💋🌸
post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 09:11 AM
SAS Member

I was on this med for more than a month at 900 mg/day. I found it very satisfactory for reducing major depression and general anxiety. In terms of side effects this is a very gentle med. There are no sexual sides whatsoever, and I got no other significant side effect except for a bit of appetite reduction. There is basically no withdrawal effect.

Unfortunately, I found it does little for social anxiety, which is why I came off of it.
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 11:43 PM
SAS Member

I'm off this medication now and what I noticed is, that I'm getting headaches again which I had a lot before taking it but not during it. I also found this study, that confirms this:

Preventive treatment of migraine and chronic tension headache with moclobemide
post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 07:53 PM
SAS Member

How often do one have to take it? 2x a day? 3x a day? The half life is very short, so that's why I am asking...

Austrian Guy
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page