Manerix (moclobemide) [MAOI] - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Community and Website Administrator

My Mood: Fine
Manerix (moclobemide) [MAOI]

Moclobemide (sold as Aurox, Manerix) is a drug primarily used to treat depression and social anxiety. Although clinical trials with the medicine began in 1977, it is not approved for use in the United States. Moclobemide is a reversible inhibitor of monoamine oxidase A (RIMA),[1] a type of monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI), and acts on epinephrine (adrenaline), norepinephrine (noradrenaline), serotonin, and dopamine. Unlike standard MAOIs, possible side effects do not include cardiovascular complications (hypertension) with encephalopathy, liver toxicity or hyperthermia.

More info:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Moclobemide

(Copied over from old review system)

Posted by dss
Other Treatments
Effexor XR

Treatment Experience
Well I started on Moclobemide 150mg and over about 4 weeks brought myself up to 600mg dose.

The Positive - No side effects at all! Seems strange but I had absolutely no kind of side effect starting or being on this med (Will be stopping it shortly).

The Negative - No noticeable help for SA. I really felt like it did nothing for me. Even changing doses from 600mg back down to 150mg I noticed no change.

I've read a few reports of it helping people for depression but for SA which is what I was using it for it did not help. It could be that I didn't give it enough of a chance but I felt a little over 6 weeks was a good enough trial to notice some kind of benefit.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Manerix (moclobemide)

Posted by michellejl
Treatment Experience
My experience with Manerix was very positive.

I had tried almost every other kind of antidepressant, and this was the only one that worked for me.

It did not help a lot with SA symptoms themselves, but I went from having severe depression to feeling good about life again. I had a lot more motivation to work on SA, go to CBT group therapy, go to support groups, leave the house, talk to people etc.

I was on an average dose (I forget how much!)and when my dr. increased it while I was going through a rough patch I started having hypomanic symtoms. She tried me on lamictal as an experiment and it was life changing for me!

While Manerix was very helpful to get me through very bad depression with no side effects (some drug restrictions like cough medicine, etc) I think I needed a mood stabilizer as I have not been depressed since and it has been a couple of years.

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Manerix and I

Posted by RainbowElf
Social Anxiety Background
I have always been rather jumpy even as a child but did not experience panics in social situations till I reached about twelve. I gradually began to avoid social situations, which made school very hard indeed. Even though I tried to work the situation got unbearable and had to quit. On a day to day basis I have to push myself to go out of the house and some days can not manage it at all. Sometimes I spend days trapped in the house just so scared of the outside world.

Other Treatments
I have tried some benzos but they did not work very well as the doctor would not give me a strong enough dose, in case I became addicted I have also tried some beta blockers and they just seemed to help for a short time. Then it hit me full on in the face when the stopped working. Change of doctor and this new med which is actually for my problem. No one had ever said that there was meds for just social anxiety before. I am also having therapy (CAT). Although this is not specifically for my anxiety it does help a small amount.

Treatment Experience
I started on a slow increase of a 150mg per fortnight, but had to stop before i got to the right dose as it made me vomit.

When I consulted the doctor we agreed on a faster increase to try and combat this.

I started on the low dose of 150 again and within 3 weeks had gotten up to 600mg. Which as of yet is my final dose.

It has helped me in the sense I can do the shopping a bit better although I do have a terrible shake from the medication. This started as restless legs, then restless arms and now I have a continuous shake.

I think for now I can cope if it means been able to control the anxiety a bit better. The sickness has not returned yet, so I guess sometimes you might need a quicker increase.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 04:42 AM
SAS Member

This is, bar none, the most useless medication I've ever tried. It doesn't even have side effects; it's the closest thing on the market to an inert sugar pill that you can find, with the added bonus of potentially causing serotonin syndrome if combined with other serotonergic drugs.

I went all the way up to 600 mg and experienced no benefits whatsoever -- actually, I didn't experience a damn thing aside from a mild decrease in blood pressure for about 2 hours after dosing during the first 3-5 days, and even that seemed to fade.

The only good thing I can say about it is that it's easy to quit. I stopped taking it cold turkey after consistently taking 600 mg for about three weeks and experienced no withdrawal symptoms whatsoever, which I suppose is fitting for a drug that does absolutely nothing.

Don't waste your time with this medication. If your doctor recommends it, tell them you're not interested, and if they refuse to prescribe you something else instead, get a new doctor.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 05:32 AM
SAS Member

I suffer from General,social anxiety and depression, I was excited about trying this medication because I'd read some encouraging reports.

I started on 150 in morning and arvo. I definitely felt the effects after the second day not really in a elevation of mood but in anxiety! I felt really wired and I couldn't sleep! It wasn't a pleasant feeling at all! When I got out bed in the morning after having hardly any sleep for two days I felt like I could run a marathon which can't be good! I could see myself burning out big time if I continued taking them.

I had to stop because the anxiety got so uncomfortable I was actually having suicidal thoughts and crying spells which doesn't happen often!!

Side effects: They made my skin itch with some stomach pains and nausea! blood pressure rise after eating chicken and rice one day it got up to 160/90 usual is 120-130/80. mild headache. dry mouth.

No sexual side effects! I actually needed it more often just to get rid of some of the anxiety and energy!

I was only on it for a week with no mood elevation but I couldn't stay on it any longer to find out if it helped or not!

If you suffer from really low energy and more bedridden depression then it could help but people with high anxiety levels I would not recommend it! but seeing it clears your system fast and with no discontinuation symptoms it could be worth a try.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 08:10 AM
SAS Member

I have been taking this for nearlly three weeks and I brought myself up to 600mg on day four although my therepist dosnet know this yet. As yet I have had no improvement in my SA or depression and to be honest I wasnt expecting any becuase Ive read so many things about it not working. I am actually thinking of upping my dose to 900mg to see if it might have some affect.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 10:44 PM
Cry. But I can't.

I was on this drug last summer and it gave me instant terrible insomnia. I had insomnia before, but this drug made it worse. My insomnia on this was so bad the docs upped my Seroquel to 400 mg to knock me out, and I still wasn't sleeping. Thankfully they took me off this drug. Mind you I was only on it for about a week or so, but I hated every minute of it.

...Deep in my soul, I've been so lonely
All of my hopes, fading away
I've longed for love, like everyone else does
I know I'll keep searching, even after today
So there it is girl, I've said it all now
And here we are babe, what do you say?
We've got tonight, who needs tomorrow?
We've got tonight babe
Why don't you stay?...

I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright--Morgan Freeman in Shawshank Redemption
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 06:53 AM
SAS Member

This stuff gave anxiety a new meaning lol. I even woke up during the night with panic attacks, let alone when I was awake
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 05:54 PM
Spectacular Member

My Mood: Blah
I dont know how this crappy drug even got 2 stars for a rating. I guess 0 stars wasn't an option.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 10:56 AM
SAS Member

Why House? Stuff works too well if anything
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 09:15 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr House View Post
I dont know how this crappy drug even got 2 stars for a rating. I guess 0 stars wasn't an option.
Is it really that bad? Have you tried it? It look so promising on paper.
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 04:05 AM
SAS Member

I take moclobemide for depression but it also helps with my SA and GAD. It is the only anti-depressant I can take, and it works better than other a/d drugs I've tried. The tricyclics make me either too jittery or too soporific. The SSRIs, SNRIs all interfered with my sexual functioning, and/or gave me RLS. I get no unpleasant side effects from moclobemide, except that I can't sleep on it, so I can only take it up to about noontime. I'm sorry that Americans can't get it. But that kind of makes up for the fact that we in the UK can't get Wellbutrin (except in small amounts for smoking addiction)! :-)

Last edited by Aldeveron; 06-25-2012 at 04:07 AM. Reason: misspelling
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 05:42 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldeveron View Post
I take moclobemide for depression but it also helps with my SA and GAD. It is the only anti-depressant I can take, and it works better than other a/d drugs I've tried. The tricyclics make me either too jittery or too soporific. The SSRIs, SNRIs all interfered with my sexual functioning, and/or gave me RLS. I get no unpleasant side effects from moclobemide, except that I can't sleep on it, so I can only take it up to about noontime. I'm sorry that Americans can't get it. But that kind of makes up for the fact that we in the UK can't get Wellbutrin (except in small amounts for smoking addiction)! :-)

Thanks for sharing your experience... May I ask what dose you are using and how long it took to work for you ?
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 02:19 AM
SAS Member

Stuff works too well if anything. I take moclobemide for depression but it also helps with SA and GAD. As yet I have had no improvement in may SA or depression.

how to check essay for plagiarism
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 03:44 AM
SAS Member

I'm starting moclobemide now for an anxiety disorder. Too early to tell if it will be of use to me. 1 week in. No real side effects. Sex drive has improved. Always a plus. Up to 450 mg now. Will repost in 2 weeks or so to let people know how I got on!
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 06:20 AM
SAS Member

i am just about to try this having dragged it out of my gp with reluctance. ssris are no good for me at all and make me hellishly tired and headachey. i have no sex drive so i'm hoping for a result there too, and a hand with very dippy depression. am on tramadol so the interaction may be interesting, may cause euphoria. that'll be nice for a change. will let you know.
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 09:20 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inshallah View Post
This stuff gave anxiety a new meaning lol. I even woke up during the night with panic attacks, let alone when I was awake
Hi. Just curious did the anxiety settle over time?

Thanks Paul
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 09:27 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post

Posted by RainbowElf
Social Anxiety Background
I have always been rather jumpy even as a child but did not experience panics in social situations till I reached about twelve. I gradually began to avoid social situations, which made school very hard indeed. Even though I tried to work the situation got unbearable and had to quit. On a day to day basis I have to push myself to go out of the house and some days can not manage it at all. Sometimes I spend days trapped in the house just so scared of the outside world.

Other Treatments
I have tried some benzos but they did not work very well as the doctor would not give me a strong enough dose, in case I became addicted I have also tried some beta blockers and they just seemed to help for a short time. Then it hit me full on in the face when the stopped working. Change of doctor and this new med which is actually for my problem. No one had ever said that there was meds for just social anxiety before. I am also having therapy (CAT). Although this is not specifically for my anxiety it does help a small amount.

Treatment Experience
I started on a slow increase of a 150mg per fortnight, but had to stop before i got to the right dose as it made me vomit.

When I consulted the doctor we agreed on a faster increase to try and combat this.

I started on the low dose of 150 again and within 3 weeks had gotten up to 600mg. Which as of yet is my final dose.

It has helped me in the sense I can do the shopping a bit better although I do have a terrible shake from the medication. This started as restless legs, then restless arms and now I have a continuous shake.

I think for now I can cope if it means been able to control the anxiety a bit better. The sickness has not returned yet, so I guess sometimes you might need a quicker increase.
Hi. Did the restless leg/arms settle? I've had that and don't want it again. Haven't started the medication yet. Very curious to know.

Thanks. Paul.
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 03:09 PM
SAS Member

I was on this drug for 1 month.

Something from another forum accurately described the experience:
Quote:
Moclobemide: 4/5
This drug is incredible. It makes everything feel awesome. The down side is that it wears off extremely fast. I can go from feeling great to shaking uncontrollably in less than 4 hours.
The very short life of this drug makes it virtually useless. It has such a drug addict feel to it - taking a pill every couple hours so I don't start shaking and jittering. Other than that, it's pretty good. Mixes great with alcohol.

edit
I changed it from 3/5 to 4/5. As long as you have your pills with you, it's a really good medication. It would probably mix well with bupropion and fluoxetine, but apparently those are contraindicated so pharmacists would refuse to fill such a combo.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page