Valium (diazepam) [Benzo] - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Community and Website Administrator

My Mood: Fine
Valium (diazepam) [Benzo]

Diazepam, first marketed as Valium by Hoffmann-La Roche, is a benzodiazepine derivative drug. It possesses anxiolytic, anticonvulsant, sedative, skeletal muscle relaxant and amnestic properties. It is commonly used for treating anxiety, insomnia, seizures, alcohol withdrawal, and muscle spasms. It may also be used before certain medical procedures (such as endoscopies) to reduce tension and anxiety, and in some surgical procedures to induce amnesia.

More info:User ratings/reviews:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

My Xanax

(Copied over from old review system)

Posted by DMBfan
Social Anxiety Background
GAD, Moderate SA

Other Treatments
Tried CBT for 2+ years found it ineffective.

Treatment Experience
I've tried xanax, valium, and klonopin and valium is the one that works best for me. It seems to work for me like xanax works for most. I take about 15mgs a day 4-5 days a week for my situational anxiety triggers (mainly work.) Downsides are relative short duration (about 4 hours) taken as needed and it can make me feel a little euphoric sometimes (not looking to walk around stoned.) It helps make the anxiety more manageable and prevent panic attacks but is hardly a magic "happy pill" in my experience. I was literally a nervous wreck a few months back, calling in sick for a week, and benzos have returned some normality to my life. I've only been on it a few months but I can go days without it and not feel withdrawal symptoms. All benzos carry the risk of physical dependence so you should give serious consideration to this risk before starting treatment.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Works great

(Copied over from old review system)

Posted by rustybob
Had social anxiety pretty much forever from growing up in a racist town. Definitely not the textbook social anxiety case, as I did have friends, played team sports, worked since I was 10 years old, did sales jobs, etc etc. I never realized I had it until I finally decided to fix my sleep problems.

My whole life I've been unable to get more than 1.5 hours straight of sleep (unless I was sick). So even though I got 8 hours I still felt like crap. This is what initially got me into trying to figure out what's wrong with me. Once I seen the list of symptoms for seratonin deficiency I knew that was my problem. My whole life have suffered from a lack of energy and motivation.

Other Treatments
Ativan (although this was initially prescribed for sleep)
Zoloft (Awful)
Wellbutrin (Still using, working great with Remeron)
Remeron (Amazing, has me feeling like a normal person)
5-HTP (Helped mood slightly, sleep was just as bad due to crazy nightmares)

Treatment Experience
Was given some 5mg Valiums by a friend, and absolutely loved them. Valium basically killed my social anxiety as long as it was active in my system. Pretty much just made me a super chill person.

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 01:25 PM
SAS Member

worked a bit "too" well - i was worried about developing an addiction to it.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 11:18 AM
SAS Member

a **** med, only good for detoxing stronger meds like ativan or xanax//take at at least 100mg to register on me a cronic anxierty sufferer
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 12:06 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Diazepam, first marketed as Valium by Hoffmann-La Roche, is a benzodiazepine derivative drug. It possesses anxiolytic, anticonvulsant, sedative, skeletal muscle relaxant and amnestic properties. It is commonly used for treating anxiety, insomnia, seizures, alcohol withdrawal, and muscle spasms. It may also be used before certain medical procedures (such as endoscopies) to reduce tension and anxiety, and in some surgical procedures to induce amnesia.

More Info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diazepam

Askapatient.com Ratings:
http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=13263

RevolutionHealth.com Ratings:
http://www.revolutionhealth.com/drug.../rating/valium
I took diazepam for a while it worked for my SA but I was getting very forgetful I had no idea it could induce amnesia OMG now I know why LOL
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 04:57 PM
SAS Member

yup it works. keep in reserve, and transition to herbals.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 05:11 PM
Phucked

I took 32mg and it did nothing. Bit of a sugar pill for me.

I have tried sh*talopram, belowpar, diazesham, noshowmazine, lorazesham, Cynica, Ineffexor, crapranolol, futileoxetine and Depascrote without success.

I am now just using CBT.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 06:54 PM
Permanently Manned!

Used to take it, but was too addictive for me to continue. Gave me a euphoric effect. I would like to try it again, but due to my addictive personality, it wouldn't be feasible.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 09:32 AM
MBL
Comatose.

Hi!

I think it's better than Xanax but I'd prefer klonopin (Clonazepam) over Valium (Diazepam). Diazepam has a long half life. I find it long lasting, slightly mellow. Not very strong though. When I had it, I'd often take a slightly higher dose than prescribed to get the effect I needed. Sublingual Ativan or Klonopin are better I think, but thats just my personal taste.

I think that everybody reacts to benzos differently, maybe that's why there's so many on the market.

-MBL
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 10:16 PM
SAS Member

I was really hesitant to take valium because it seemed like such a medicated housewife drug, if you know what I mean... But it's pretty good stuff. I hardly ever take it. Only in bad situations. I like knowing it's there. The doc never gives me any repeats and is very disapproving when he prescribes it, and asking for it makes me feel like a pathetic junkie so I try to make a box last I get a higher dose and break up the tablets into quarters or halves. I really like the fact that it starts working quickly and can be taken on an as-needed basis. But to be honest, a glass of wine has pretty much the same effect
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 01:27 AM
find me a crystal ball

diazepam to clonazepam

I used to be on 90 mg of diazepam a day and had permission to raise that to 120 when i was really freaking. It worked okay but i still paced like crazy. Now i'm on 3mg of clonazepam up to 4 sometimes and i find that when i really need it to be there for me it doesn't do much. I think i'll ask my doc for xanax the next time i see him, in a couple of weeks, because i'll be going back to school and i will need something to calm me down with a new environment and a bunch of new people. Unless i choose to learn online which seems like a cop out and not what i want to do if i'm ever going to get better. I'm not all that worried about coming off of any of them - i can reduce to nothing and forget about it if i can beat this battle with anxiety.

Off on your way-
hit the open road-
there is magic at your fingers
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 01:16 PM
SAS Member

My GP has been really reasonable with Valium, despite the stigma attached to it (here in the UK, at least). I'm on 20mg Citalopram daily which has certainly controlled a lot of my irrational thinking, but there are certain situations that I have to attend / really, really want to attend but get so anxious before and during that I need something extra.

So long as I don't ask too often and it's for a good reason, my GP will give me a prescription (but no higher strength than 2mg). This allows me to take a few every day leading up to the "event" and then more during and then slowly drop the amount afterwards.

I wish I could be on it all the time, but there's no need and it is so addictive. I know some GPs refuse to prescribe it so I'm happy with what he allows.
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 07:32 PM
SAS Member

Dizzy

It made me very relaxed and sleepy. With my seroquel and it, I can sleep all day.
I can't walk down the hallway with it. It's like being so drunk you can't walk, but without feeling drunk. I prefer clonazepam.

In case of Psychosis, call 666.
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 08:49 AM
SAS Member

I take 3 5MG tablets of Valium per day right now, and I don't think its enough. It works for a while, but thats about it. I took two pills an hour ago and I feel mellowed out right now, but I'm still anxious, I want to get a hair cut, but I'm still too afraid to do so. I should just pop 5 of these suckers and go in there! I also have a presentation in one of my classes on Monday so I'll have to be heavily medicated during that as well. God, SA sucks, nobody knows how it feels except for those who suffer from it. Getting a hair cut? Thats nothing to most people, but to me, I just can't do it.
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 07:19 PM
SAS Member

valum

your playing with fire. I can't even listen to my own advise. Took ritilin for adhd ended up skewing my dophemine up and getting schizaphena later took meth switched from coke to it at 29. fourty now and have heart disease. go figuere. I know 4 people who used vicidem and then like to mix it with alchole to get a buzz. they all od. it is the most addicting pill and the more you use the more you need over time. same with zanix for aniexty. you should best consider working thorugh your issue with communication or avoiding situation that stress you out. if your on meth or coke no wonder you want to come down. i heard so many bad things about valium. it is very addictive and not the solution. good luck. try having 5 good friends that care about you and support you. it is much better than taking the edge off. maybe you smoke pot all day long is my guess. sorry.
post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 05:15 AM
SAS Member

I take diazepam on special occasions (once a week), it works well. It makes me much less anxious and a bit euphoric, but it's not pro-social in my case, because it makes me too self-concentrated. I think stimulants are a more direct option for social boost if you need it.
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 05:53 PM
SAS Member

Hey,

Im on xanax atm. Its a life saver in regards me being able to do things. I am very concious of addiction tho, as i have an addictive personality and am struggling with other addictions too, so i try to limit what i take.

An average week would usually involve me needing it 2/3 times. But the last couple of weeks i have found myself quite busy and therefore i had taken thaem alot more. Also i am aware of my tolerance building too.

But to the person/people (cant member) who said they are taking valium 3/4times a day, please note that that you may have a physical addiction (dunno how long you have been doing this) and you should talk to your doctor.

Using these sort of pills works good for short term but it shouldnt be a long term solution. It only worsens things in the end....
...but i know that if i cannot manage my anxiety levels this route i will have to stay on
post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 07:17 PM
Hugging Hangers

I use up a 30 pill prescription in 6 months. I take it when I have to. I do not like it because it deadens me, but sometimes I have to get in the door. Valium gets me in the door. I Would like to try the alternatives because I am highly anxious/hyper but it is a battle with my HMO.

...you gotta keep the goal in mind, develop tunnel vision to a certain extent. it's hard, and it's not for everyone.

~bad baby
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 03:18 PM
SAS Member

Diazepam.

Panic/Anxiety Disorder. Moderate SA.

Other Treatments
Tried CBT with little success.
Very stable via SSRI(Lexapro), valium(situationally) and propranolol.

Treatment Experience.
I have used valium for situational anxiety for many years. It's a fine drug if used properly.
If your suffering from anxiety you need to educate yourself about it after first getting help via a GP, psychologist/social worker and/or Pdoc. After getting diagnosed whether you suffer chronic anx. or is stress related from life events, you need to embrace practicing relaxation, deep breathing to calm yourself, using positive self dialog, understanding what anticipatory anxiety is, the benefits or proper diet and exercise as well as some basics about the meds used these days to treat anxiety. That includes benzo's, beta blockers and SSRI's. Also includes learning to tolerate some level of anxiety(learn to cope and manage it a little).
Benzo's are best used as "fire extinguishers" for anxiety when you can't calm yourself. To use these daily indefinitely is to not understand that eventually(can take some months) you'll build tolerance and need to learn the "hard way" how to get to a place where you then can use these as mentioned. This often means using that time to get on an SSRI/SNRI to help lower your "ambient" anxiety level. Best way to do that is via your doc and educating yourself about anxiety and it treatment. Having said that every case is unique as is mine so there will be, of course, some variation to what I have written here. Still it's best to have some "on hand" to calm yourself when you get anxious despite for best efforts. I have used valium this way and found it to be very good indeed.
In short the benzo's are more similar than different in their effects after you adjust for both potency and half-life. In general a short/intermediate acters(ativan, alprazolam) are best for occasional/situational use(or help sleeping) and long acters like valium, librium, klonopin, clorazepate, centrax for more chronic use although IF you find yourself doing well(in my case AOK on diazepam)...chalk it up to some individual variation. There's allot to be said about knowing EXACTLY how a med will work for you/effect you...whether long or short acting so you can use it to function well/be happy and NOT abuse or misuse them. That would be the definition of successful treatment if you cannot get by without any meds!
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page