Klonopin (clonazepam) [Benzo] - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Treatment Reviews > Medication > Benzodiazepines

Like Tree23 Liked Posts

Old 02-26-2010, 12:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Klonopin (clonazepam) [Benzo]

Klonopin is a commonly-prescribed benzodiazepine derivative, used as a muscle relaxant and anticonvulsant. Many SAD sufferers find that it benefits them, especially when they need a quick and strong-acting result. Klonopin is often used in conjunction with SSRIs or SNRIs in order to reduce the side effects of those medications and to strengthen how well they work initially. Recent research describes it as very effective in the treatment of social anxiety.

Klonopin is normally prescribed for short-term use since most people will build up a tolerance if it is used for more than a few weeks at a time, but there are individuals that do take it over longer periods of time. Withdrawal symptoms have been reported with extended use. Klonopin has a longer half-life than Xanax, and can be more difficult to discontinue. The side effects sometimes experienced with Klonopin include memory loss, drowsiness and impaired motor function.

More info:User ratings/reviews:
Helena_SAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Great med!

(Copied over from old review system)

Posted by Kanes
Other Treatments
various SSRI's

Treatment Experience
This drug is great for SA. It literally takes all of my fear away. I am like a completely different person on it. It feels similar to alcohol in some ways but without the euphoric type effect.

Side effects include sleepiness and anterograde amnesia. You need to find a good middle ground dose where the side effects aren't too strong. For me this is around 1mg although I will take 2mg for particularly intense situations. I typically take it at least an hour before needed since it takes a while to take effect.

I only use it a few times a week since tolerance can be built up.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Klonopin helps me

Posted by Anxiety75
Treatment Experience
My experience with clonazepam(Klonopin) has been amazing. It has a longer half-life than alprazolam(Xanax) and it doesn't just drop you, leaving you anxious and rushing to take another. Itstays in your system longer.

For me, it seems to be less addictive, not as strong as alprazolam but still calming to the mind and body. I would say that it just works better than any anti-anxiety drug I've taken.

It does help in certain social situations and takes the edge off of social anxiety.

Taken properly, this can be a helpful drug for social anxiety, generalized anxiety, anxiety attacks, and panic disorders.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default A week on klonopin

Posted by rocknroll714
Other Treatments
Ativan is probably my 2nd favorite benzodiazepine. Klonopin's side effects seem less pronounced however and the longer duration is preferable for me at least. Benzos are far superior to related drugs like alcohol and soma for anxiolytic purposes from my experience. I also find benzos to be amazing in combination with stimulants like adderall and propylhexedrine. That combination is the ultimate remedy for social anxiety. It simply can't be beat.

Treatment Experience
I decided to give klonopin a try finally (my first shot with a benzo!) and I went on it for an entire week straight. It was relatively easy with klonopin's extremely long half-life. A single 2 mg pill lasted up to a full day or two for me. Note that I have absolutely no benzodiazepine or GABAergic tolerance whatsoever however.

The experience was excellent. My social anxiety is only light to moderate and it was damn near completely destroyed. It was an excellent week. The side effects weren't that bad either. I felt clear in my head, though my balance was slightly off, I slurred my speech a little and my memory was also slightly impaired however. Compared to the other benzos I'd definitely say klonopin is the cleanest and it's my personal favorite.
AndyCR75 likes this.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default Works, but addictive

Posted by oceanside
Treatment Experience
I've been taking Klonopin for a couple years. It works well by "taking the edge off". I'm able to get through the day much better. I have an easier time making conversations with people, and I'm not as nervous at work. The bad side is that it does make you tired. Also, if you take it on a regular basis, it is very difficult to get off of. I'm trying to get off the drug now, and I'm very irritable and anxious. This will probably go on for two of three weeks before I'm back to normal (this is what I've experienced in the past). My advice is not to take this medication more than once per week.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default Klonopin (Clonazepam)

Shared by Foh_Teej
Treatment Experience
While Clonazepam certainly isn't a magic pill, it does offer relief for a wide range of anxiety situations. Won't cure your problems but it can make a hell of a difference in making it through a tough time.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default 2nd best to Adderall

Posted by Noca
Treatment Experience
I take this with adderall. A simple 2-4mgs will vaporize even my worst anxiety. However it can knock you out if you dont take the adderall with it. It can be great for sleep when needed.

I take Klonopin on a PRN basis to avoid tolerance and dependance issues. The drug seems to last about 6-8 hours for me.

This drug is VERY cheap, only costing about $25 a refill for 120mgs.

This was my favourite drug before the godly Adderall XR came by me. Definately worth a try for any anxiety sufferer!
Old 03-01-2010, 10:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default Panic Attacks and SA

Posted by Wellington
Social Anxiety Background

My whole life so far, but it has been improving significantly over the past year.

Other Treatments
Adderall 10mg as-needed for homework and exams.

Treatment Experience
It seems to lower my inhibitions quite well, but not totally. It relaxes my body more, and my throat muscles so I can talk more clearly. Lasts about 8 hours for me, but I can still feel slight anxiety relieving effects the next day usually. I take .5mg as needed 2-4 times per day I use it, but I don't take it every day.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Default Great sleep aid

Posted by livingnsilence
Social anxiety runs in my family and I don't respond to expsure or therapy, so my SA is probably genetic.

Other Treatments
Venlafaxine, Budeprion XL, Citalopram

Treatment Experience
I'm probably the only one that finds klonopin does nothing for thier anxiety. I was originally prescribed .5mg to 1mg prn, but I would try 1-2mg for stressfull situations and it didn't calm me at all. So I tried 3.5 mg at once one day and it made me tired, zoned out, and worsend my dystymia some but still didn't help with the anxiety. I take 1-2mg before bed a few days a week because it helps me fall asleep faster and stay asleep without leaving me drowsy so long as I don't go over 2mg.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default Amazing when taken PRN

Posted by gordonjohnson008
Debilitating generalized SA. Mostly physical manifestations of anxiety from since I was sentinent. SA for me is paralyzing overstimulation, inarticulateness, extreme tenseness.

Other Treatments
Klonopin + an antidepressant seems to potentiate Klonopin, making it more effective. Also, Klonopin is a depressant, so taking an antidepressant with it can ameliorate its tendency to cause depression.

Treatment Experience
I've found klonopin to be extremely effective. It relaxes me physically and disinhibits me. It is able to turn me from "mute boy" into a very outgoing, sociable person.

However, it has side effects. It makes me drowsy. It builds dependence and tolerance when taken long-term. It damages cognition, learning, and memory. It makes me extremly drowsy.

I take it on weekends only.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:38 AM   #11 (permalink)

Default Works well but I recommend PRN dosing

Posted by Bob Slydell
Treatment Experience
I have been on Klonopin for 2 years now and I am at 4mg/day.

I take it everyday and it has stopped working so I am slowly weening off it. The first few months your on it, it feels like your anxiety is gone and you can do anything. My anxiety was at normal levels for a person without an anxiety disorder.

Because it has stopped working, I may eventually go back on it but only on a PRN basis because it works very well when you dont have a tolerance to it.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:38 AM   #12 (permalink)

Default klonopin(clonazepam)

Posted by MavenMI6Agent009
Treatment Experience
medication like (clonazepam) Klonopinkeeps me sane and alive to clear my head but for my social anxiety i just feel drowsy and tired.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:39 AM   #13 (permalink)

Default Klonopin

Posted by chevelle70ss
Agoraphobia SA GAD & Bipolar

Other Treatments
Lexapro 20mg Inderal 60mg. Abilify

Treatment Experience
I have been on Klonopin 8mg. a day for the past five years. I found that when I first started taking it it helped somewhat but was still not able to talk to people or go out in a crowd nor make phone calls. I have to say I'm still on it & I have taken as many as 5 2mg. pills it still has no afect on me. For some reason my Pc will not change them so I find that Klonopin is great for some but for me my anxiety is still in the high zone. They don't even make me tired. Maybe I have been on them to long.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:39 AM   #14 (permalink)

Default Better than anything else I've tried.

Posted by Sasha
Treatment Experience
I've been on plenty of pills and I can honestly say that this is the only one that's shown any effect at all. I have to take more than was prescribed for it to do anything, but it still works a little bit. I would recommend it. You might have to experiment with the dosage before it can begin working, but it's worth it.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:40 AM   #15 (permalink)

Default dose inadequate

Posted by laura81881
15 years of isolation

Other Treatments
depekote,xanax,lithium,wellbutrin,counseling,almos t every med out ther..my doc is awesome and has raised my dose everytime requested and found my helpful combination..the 1 mg klonopin just isnt strong enough..also I weigh 200 lbs..and have tolerance since taking benzos for 15 years

Treatment Experience
hi everyone
..i was diagnosed with ptsd ,and agoraphobia panic disporder at age 12...started on xanax and was on 8mg per day by age 17.I am currently on paxil 60mg per day and klonopin 1mg 4xdaily..i am at max paxil dose..I am going to ask my doctor for 2 mg klonopin at my next visit as i am still having social anxiety..and occasional panic attacks.Has anyone ever been on this dose? I have read max daily dose is 20mg..so,will 8 mg be asking to much with my history.I am now 27..My anxiety affects not only me but my 2 yr old daughter..who doesnt understand why she cant go to the park..or have a party at chucky cheese.Please share experiences..I feel like a prisner in my own home.my doc refuses to write xanax.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:40 AM   #16 (permalink)

Default Klonos

Posted by ScaredofBeez
Since early teens

Other Treatments
Citalopram

Treatment Experience
The .5's they first gave me had almost no effect but I could tell a difference with the 1mg. It doesn't do much for my SA just slows my heart rate down and makes me feel like some sort of paranoid zombie.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:35 AM   #17 (permalink)

Lightbulb Klonopin 8 mg/day, no relief

I've been on Klonopin for over 2 years. My doctor increased my dosage to 2 mg / 4 times a day three months ago. I see a therapist once a week to deal with Anxiety/panic attacks. I have also found that they help with the the attack once it has began but has done nothing to decrease the frequency. I also take 300 mg of Amatriptyline. Any suggestions for other medications that have worked for you instead of or in conjunction with Klonopin.
JacksonVictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #18 (permalink)

I take it when anxiety gets too bad or can't sleep. Does the job pretty well.

I don't understand why anyone would take them recreationally. I just kind of get tired and go to sleep.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:17 PM   #19 (permalink)

i am on 2MG a day, came down from 6MG would prefer 6MG but thats too high of a dose
um they last long but take long to work unless chewed or dissolved in coca cola, thats what i do now to get the maximum effect when the anxiety hits bad

Still advocate Lorazepam though, i prefer it
walter james likes this.

Do you think we choose the times into which we are born? Or do we fit the times we are born into?-Abraham Lincoln
Arisa1536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:57 AM   #20 (permalink)

Clonazepam calmed me down and made me feel better for a while. However, it made me slow, uncoordinated, and made it difficult to remember things. Most importantly, after about a year and a half, it made me more depressed, destroyed my self esteem, and made me more anxious than when I started taking it. Oh, and benzo withdrawal is hell. I strongly recommend rethinking taking it daily to anyone considering doing so.
quarterlifecrisis likes this.
Cerberus is online now   Reply With Quote