Ativan (lorazepam) [Benzo] - Page 8 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #141 of 175 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Finding Solutions

gentle benzo with gradual onset that lasts about 6-8 hours for me. for me the peak is around 2 hours. what i usually do is take 1 mg for 2 days, then 2 days off to prevent addiction. if there are periods where the 1 mg is weak, then i will stop for a week or go to another supplement or med.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 175 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 09:09 PM
SAS Member

I agree

Hi Sasha, It's great you mentioned this -

And on a message I'm also posting to others: I have been on Ativan a little over a year and I've gradually upped the dose to 2 mg.

At 2mg I've started to have serious problems at work!!! I am a financial journalist and Ativan has made me make dumb mistakes with numbers, words, etc. My editors are noticing and I'm afraid of losing my job.

It's true - Ativan dumbs you down! It's a very very addicting drug and I am now certain, dangerous for your brain.

I have realized it's time to get off the drug and hope to gradually begin doing so. If anyone has any advice I welcome it.

I suffer from depression - and consequently anxiety - due to relationship issues, etc. Maybe some yoga jeje?

Anyway, good to have a support group.

And good luck, Sasha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
(Copied over from old review system)

Posted by Sasha
Treatment Experience
Ativan turned me into a complete zombie. All I wanted to do was sleep. It didn't help me with any of the issues it was prescribed for. I had no energy to do anything. It might be good for someone who needs to be frequently calmed down, but if you're already a calm person when you're not nervous, I wouldn't recommend it. Besides, I still had panic attacks while I was on it.
post #143 of 175 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 09:10 PM
SAS Member

I have been on Ativan a little over a year and I've gradually upped the dose to 2 mg.

At 2mg I've started to have serious problems at work!!! I am a financial journalist and Ativan has made me make dumb mistakes with numbers, words, etc. My editors are noticing and I'm afraid of losing my job.

It's true - Ativan dumbs you down! It's a very very addicting drug and I am now certain, dangerous for your brain.

I have realized it's time to get off the drug and hope to gradually begin doing so. If anyone has any advice I welcome it.

I suffer from depression - and consequently anxiety - due to relationship issues, etc. Maybe some yoga jeje?

Anyway, good to have a support group.

And good luck, Sasha!
post #144 of 175 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Permanently Banned

So I got some Ativan for a 30 minute presentation I have to give next week, let's see how this works out.
post #145 of 175 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 01:20 AM
Lateralus

My Mood: Sleepy
Social Anxiety Background
Disabling SAD, depression and OCD

Other Treatments
Sugar Pill Celexa, Paxil (brutal sexual side effects), Prozac, Klonopin for a VERY brief period of time. Currently on Cymbalta 30 mg

Treatment Experience
I'm currently taking 1 mg a day. It's becoming less useful and I think I've built up a tolerance for it. It has helped a little bit with anxiety, but not an astounding amount by any means. At first it made me drowsy going up to 1 mg from 0.5, but I built up tolerance quickly and now it doesn't make me drowsy at all.

I know the pieces fit cause I watched them fall away
Go Sens Go
post #146 of 175 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 12:35 AM
dreamreach

Ativan unfortunately makes me feel TOO good. I can't control the amount I take. Don't take it any more. I wish there was something that could give you that happy feeling without being out of control.
post #147 of 175 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 10:03 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamreach View Post
Ativan unfortunately makes me feel TOO good. I can't control the amount I take. Don't take it any more. I wish there was something that could give you that happy feeling without being out of control.
Take a lower dose of it?

-Try kava

-or phenibut if you havent already - you wont "redose" because it takes a while to kick in plus it lasts for most of the day, if not a full day. 2-3 days a week MAX

-Kratom - I am a big advocate of kratom and think everyone should try it. It makes depression do a whole 180 degree turn, it eases anxiety and makes you feel "comfortable" or "loved" and best of all, it gives you motivation, more social, and physical energy. And of course, it neutralizes pain. 3-4 days a week MAX

Probably good if you cycle a mix of what you like so dependance wont be a problem.
post #148 of 175 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 10:12 AM
avui, no demà

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomniferumPapi View Post
Take a lower dose of it?
if he/she can't control the amount ingested, then trying to take a lower dose knowing full well the effect that higher doses have upon the individual wouldn't quite work.

'i'm in love with your brother / what's his name?' - karin dreijer andersson, olof dreijer
post #149 of 175 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 10:56 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuraeuropea View Post
if he/she can't control the amount ingested, then trying to take a lower dose knowing full well the effect that higher doses have upon the individual wouldn't quite work.
I dont know how I missed that lol Especially benzos, that are notorious for doing things like forgetting you took some and then take some more, or wake up in jail. Ima edit that post
post #150 of 175 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 10:45 PM
SAS Member

I get Ativan for nausea and anxiety 1 used to work mind used to work but it dosent... I'm up to 2 now it helps but it's strange I get a buzz and its nice but i don't want to get addicted... 14 I am going through chemo... My doc says its fine but I want a few opinions... Thanks
post #151 of 175 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 04:34 PM
SAS Member

Hi guys,

Im new here. So, I dont know if this has been asked before or not.. any comments will be apprecieated

Basically, after getting a panic attack and went to ER, I was prescribed Lorazepam 1mg about a month ago to take when needed..I havent been taking any, Im doing anxiety management classes instead, but in a few months I will have to fly and Im so nervous about flying.. So I'd like to make sure that I have the right medicine to bring with me when I fly. The thing is, the last time I took it, I remembered feeling nervous and unable to sleep. but then again, it was weeks ago. I dont remember it clearly..

there were two times before that, when I took Lorazepam and worked..

So, I want to try taking 0.5mg tonight and see whether its the right medicine or not. Even though I dont get panic attack anymore, I still feel nervous and pounding hearts due to my anxiety disorder.Anyway, The cardiac arrest side effect make me nervous about taking it.. what do you guys think about the cardiac arrest?

Thank you
post #152 of 175 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 04:27 PM
SAS Member

Used it a while back as a quick fix for my SA, and it did not help me one bit. I felt no change and my anxiety was intense as usual. I take Zoloft now, which is much better than Atavan!
post #153 of 175 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 05:36 PM
SAS Member

I've been taking a very small dose of Lorazepam/Ativan here and there, and it does a great job of lessening my anxiety without being too extreme (like Xanax). It also gives me that "happy" feeling, which I could foresee being addictive... I've taken it for the past couple days, and was anticipating taking it tomorrow because I have a stressful day of class presentations, but I'm worried about getting too dependent on it...

Today, one of my teachers said I had an "ease" about me... ROFL, that was DEFINITELY the Ativan... XD
post #154 of 175 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 11:15 PM
SAS Member

No effect

I have a problem with being refractory to some medications. For me, I found this includes Ativan after recently trying it for the first time:

I was prescribed 1 mg PRN for a month, but every time I took a dose there was no effect. Finally, I decided to test if this was a matter of low-dosage and one day, over the span of a couple hours, popped as many as I felt was safe in order to elicit some response. I stopped at 8 mg, still with no effect whatsoever. It didn't even result in any side-effects; thus no sedation, or memory or balance impairment.
post #155 of 175 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 12:08 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerociousFleur View Post
Today, one of my teachers said I had an "ease" about me... ROFL, that was DEFINITELY the Ativan... XD
I hate that teachers would say that to you. It's not 4th grade anymore. Too many teachers at the HS or even community college level who have no business teaching.

I do the same thing, take a dose of ativan in anticipation of stressful SA situations.
post #156 of 175 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 12:41 AM
SAS Member

I just started taking this after a psychotic episode where I went into a full blown panic attack. Its made me pass out so far and really the worst I've felt is a tad dizzy but lately I've been dizzy anyways. But no panic. It's been wonderful not constantly feel like I'm right on the edge of a panic attack.

I hope I can find something similar that isn't addictive and I can take a bit longer until I find a good therapist. I don't want to be on drugs forever.
post #157 of 175 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 02:33 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caer View Post
I just started taking this after a psychotic episode where I went into a full blown panic attack. Its made me pass out so far and really the worst I've felt is a tad dizzy but lately I've been dizzy anyways. But no panic. It's been wonderful not constantly feel like I'm right on the edge of a panic attack.

I hope I can find something similar that isn't addictive and I can take a bit longer until I find a good therapist. I don't want to be on drugs forever.

Don't worry about "how long you are on the meds". Take them as long as you need to and don't let others make you feel bad about it. Does a diabetic feel bad for taking insulin everyday? No. Does the fact they need to take insulin make them an "addict"? No. Being an addict is ABUSING the drugs, not taking them as prescribed to address a medical need. Why should you feel bad about taking a med that is making you life better?

You'll get through this...good luck.
post #158 of 175 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 12:59 PM
SAS Member

Lorezapam works well in a specific way for me. I just use it when I go to work or have to have outside social contact. I don't take it at other times like when I'm home or with my family. Taken like that I find that I can work and do tasks like talking on the phone that would be pure torture without it. It only works for about 6 or 6 and a half hours for me though so I wait an hour into my work day to take it or I wait until just before I have to deal with people before taking it. I only take two pills when I have to do something like interview for a job which is something that makes my social anxiety go through the roof. Works really well for me in this way. I asked the doctor why he doesn't use it this way with any of his other patients, he says because they don't have the long term discipline I have. I dont' know about that but thats what he said.
post #159 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 06:23 AM
SAS Member

I have been on Ativan for about 1.5 years and take it on a as-needed basis. Majority of the time I use it before doing presentations, flying, and for insomnia. This drug indeed works but it is easy to fall dependent on it. My advice is to hold off until you absolutely need to. I found it has at times given me a "spacy" feeling throughout the day and it does make you drowsy though the calming effect prevails over these side effects. I am still unsure if there is a correlation but this drug also might cause ED in men which affected me at times. I am an avid coffee drinker and in combination with taking Ativan, I feel gives just the right amount of positive energy without the anxiety kicking in.
post #160 of 175 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 02:51 AM
SAS Member

06-04-2014 update.
I've been on lorazepam (ativan) for about 4 months. It is quite effective for anxiety but I need 2mg at a time for social situations. 1mg just about takes the edge off general anxiety or agitation.

It helps with racing thoughts, obsessive thoughts/worry and physical symptoms like muscle tension and the associated pain/fatigue. No side effects to report.

I was prescribed 1mg 3x a day but I don't take that much every day; some days more but most days less.

I hear other benzos are longer lasting but having never taken any other benzo I can't compare really.

Last edited by UKguy; 01-05-2014 at 12:16 AM. Reason: updated
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page