Effexor (venlafaxine) [SNRI] - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 303 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 06:57 PM
New mum to summer rose

It seems a lot of people here who said it did not work were only on a small dose
75MG will not do much. You need around 150-300MG to feel its effect.

Again SA wise I would not say its the best med to combat it, but anxiety and depression wise Its one of the safest in terms of when you are taking it regularly its fine but do not miss a dose, its like Paxil, when i missed a dose of paxil or effexor i got tremendous headaches and nausea and that was within two to three hours of not taking it. So i do not forget to take it.

Overall it would seem SNRI meds are better than the commonly prescribed SSRI's however i did find the SSRI paxil and lexapro worked well for my social fears but citalopram did nothing at all.

"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say why not? "
RFK quoting George Bernard Shaw

Do you think we choose the times into which we are born? Or do we fit the times we are born into?-Abraham Lincoln
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 303 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 03:15 AM
SAS Member

efffexor

Not the first med a doc would go for nowdays. Snri,s are not easy on the body than ssri,s , anyone who had tried to get off effexor will tell you its death without dieing. Ssri, s are better on anxierty an easyer on your body. if 1 dont work just go straight on another till you finds one that does. No wash out just straight tapper. If your effexor stops working the give you another snri with it because it would take months to wash out 225 of effexor. So you have to stick to the same class of med so you finish up with 2 snri,s an twice the side effects.While slowly ,very slowly tappering of effexor.Or you could go cold turkey????????? an end up in the mental unit
post #43 of 303 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 06:41 AM
SAS Member

Hello people
I started using this drug 4 weeks ago.first 2 weeks 75 mg/day and then raised 150 mg/day.i think i ll raise the dose to 225 mg/day since it has no effect for me.i just want to ask to those who used this medicine how long does is take you to get better? 2 months ,3 months?
one more question : is it a good combination efexor with klonopin?
thx
post #44 of 303 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 11:50 AM
SAS Member

Effexor

6 TO 12 weeks to show real sign,s that is if it works ,there is no garantee it will . An you dont just get better you have side effects for a start,the meds are for helping cope with depression they dont cure it. You learn to live with it an the meds help, but you dont get a free ride with meds there is always a catch. You can take benzo,s with effexor if your doc says cool, but not long term or you will end like me a benzo addict
post #45 of 303 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 02:41 AM
SAS Member

Ugh that stuff was pure poison to me. The withdrawls made me wanna kill myself. So bad...
post #46 of 303 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 03:01 AM
SAS Member

effexor

I have a buddy on effexor an he is cool i wasnt, every one is different . If it works what the hell matters
post #47 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 11:08 PM
SAS Member

early effexor xr review

I've been on effexor xr for 6 weeks now. (37.5* 1 week, 75*1 month, and now its just been upped to 112.5 mg). For the first month it was hard to tell whether it was having any effect... One day it would feel like it might be working and the next, i would be anxious again... but since starting on 112.5 I'm pretty sure its having a positive effect, as I've noticed the fight-or-flight response is simply not triggered in social situations where it normally would be. It will take a few days to tell for sure. But it has taken 5-6 weeks to feel any noticable effect, which is evidence that effexor and other snri/ snri's can take a while to work, so just be patient if you are not seeing effects within the first couple of weeks.

As far as side effects, I've only noticed mild nausea and digestive irregularities (diarrhea, constipation) around dose increases, though this maybe not even due to the meds. Also, regular fatigue (sort of a mild hazy feeling) and delayed orgasm (because of decreased sensitivity down there). I have never forgotten a pill, although I have gone 36 hours between doses and not experienced any exasperated side/ withdrawal effects. Also, If you drink any substantial amount of alcohol, you'll probably sleep the entire next day

BTW, I'm 18 male, and my SA is fairly severe, though not nearly as some I have read. This is the first med and/or treatment I have tried.
Hope this helps anyone considering/ about to start/ recently started effexor xr, and I hope that it works for you if you do try it.

Alright, peace
post #48 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 02:06 AM
SAS Member

ok

Thats a weird dose, usually it goes 37 , 75 , 150, 225 , an 300. When you think you have found the theraputic dose, stop as any higher only gives more side effects but no help to you illness
post #49 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 04:43 AM
SAS Member

I have been on Effexor for 5 years...75mg a day.

Unfortunately my doctor did not tell me anything about the withdrawal which kicks in straight away after missing only 1 tablet within a few hours...

It did not help my SAD in any way... still hate visitors or going out
On the depression side it did help...I have to be honest but then when on effexor you pretty much don't care about anything...even good things. Very Zombie like feeling.

Downsides:
Low appetite but you still gain weight even if you eat like a rabbit
No libido at all
Constantly tired
Very Uncaring and indifferent
withdrawal kicks in within hours after missing a single dose
withdrawal is a complete and utter hell on earth

Upside:
It did help my depression as you really don't have many feelings at all anymore

I really really cannot recommend this to anyone..the negatives outway the positives by far and I believe there are better alternatives.

I am now on withdrawal from Effexor - finally stopping - but believe me the withdrawal is not something I would wish on my worst enemy.
post #50 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 11:50 AM
SAS Member

I am currently weaning off effexor--very bad time with it. Worse than I thought now that I am getting lower doses. I have been given xanax to use when the anxiety/irritation gets overwhelming and now have a terrible headache that i can't shake, even though I haven't taken any today. Any advice about this. I was going to ask dr if I could try wellbuterin next as I have run the usual gamut of the ssri's. Thanks
post #51 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 12:11 PM
SAS Member

no way

wellbuterin is an anfetamin, so if you have anxierty you will be hyped up to max . they use the drug as a combo mostly.
post #52 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 03:54 PM
SAS Member

Today marks my 5th week on Effexor (75 or the long lasting stuff)... up until last week I was also taking clonazepam, but it was only temporary, to reduce the initial side-effects of Effexor and to give me immediate relief. The clonazepam was great! I felt amazing on it, but since i've stopped taking it my anxiety has come back and all the nausea and migraines that come along with my SA!

I've read on the internet that SA is reduced when you go up to 150 of Effexor, i get the fight or flight feeling all the time, anyone know if this is true? i'm considering calling my dr. and asking to go up to 150.
post #53 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 06:20 PM
Dancing on my own

Oh crap, i was just prescribed this today and i usually do not/cannot take it everyday at the same time. I'm very sensitive to meds, especially side effects, and SSRIs weren't good for me. Now i'm scared to take it
post #54 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 03:43 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee G View Post
Today marks my 5th week on Effexor (75 or the long lasting stuff)... up until last week I was also taking clonazepam, but it was only temporary, to reduce the initial side-effects of Effexor and to give me immediate relief. The clonazepam was great! I felt amazing on it, but since i've stopped taking it my anxiety has come back and all the nausea and migraines that come along with my SA!

I've read on the internet that SA is reduced when you go up to 150 of Effexor, i get the fight or flight feeling all the time, anyone know if this is true? i'm considering calling my dr. and asking to go up to 150.
sure 75 mg is a starter dose if you dont feel right you need to go up to 150 then mabye 225mg ,my buddy takes 75 an wont ask to go higher, but to me he needs to he is not getting the theraputic dose for him
post #55 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 03:45 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyB View Post
Oh crap, i was just prescribed this today and i usually do not/cannot take it everyday at the same time. I'm very sensitive to meds, especially side effects, and SSRIs weren't good for me. Now i'm scared to take it
if you carnt take it every day at the same time ,dont go on meds, your body will be all over the place.
post #56 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 05:46 AM
Mr. Ruin & Misery

My Mood: Relaxed
This was such a ****ty med for me, it made my anxiety way worse as i was overstimulated all the time. I took it for 4 months and went up to 150mg before calling it quits. The only med that has gotten my anxiety reasonably reduced is klonopin, but it sucks you can't take them long term.

Still going wrong on..wait, actually not THAT wrong anymore, WTF? ; ) : Voxra(Bupropion) 150mg/day, Mirtazapin 15mg/day, Rivatril(clonazepam) 0,5-1mg PRN
post #57 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 06:40 PM
Dancing on my own

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy View Post
if you carnt take it every day at the same time ,dont go on meds, your body will be all over the place.
I dont have a choice, i definitely need them. sometimes i just happen to wake up/eat, get to work or get home at different times and those are times i usually take it. Effexor may require you to take it at the same everyday to avoid withdrawl, but not all meds have a bad effect if you dont take them at the same time everyday. Ive been on many medicines and only a few had bad effects after 4-5 hours of missing a dose.
post #58 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 04:28 PM
SAS Member

Week 6 and I think it's starting to work...it's only been 2 days since i've felt this way so i hope i'm not speaking to soon. But for the last 2 days I've felt good and "normal" and more relaxed socially and energized! It feels pretty nice!

so this is after 1 week on 37.5mg and then 5 weeks on 75mg... I'm not feeling any side effects anymore, except a little extra sweating and the vivid dreams, which seem to be subsiding a little.

Though at first I had:
loss of appitittite
extreme sweating
sick to my stomach
rapid heart rate
inability to concentrate
zombie-like feelings
depression feeelings, for a couple days after I drank
.... but I stuck with it and now am feeling a lot better

I'll keep you posted about what happens next.
post #59 of 303 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 07:03 PM
SAS Member

That's about how long it took for me. I'm around week 8 or something now, but the last two weeks is where i've really started to feel a steady improvement. Especially after going up to 150 almost a week ago, so I'm hoping it continues to improve. I was also on 37*1week, then 75*1month, then it was upped to 112 for a couple weeks, and now i've just started 150. I also had very similar side effects, with a few exceptions. Hope it goes well
post #60 of 303 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 10:31 PM
ISFJ

My Mood: Breezy
Social Anxiety Background
Social Anxiety Disorder that started into my teen years. It gradually progressed into a more severed SAD that peaked once I began smoking marijuana and shutting myself in my room. Severe depression set in after this.

Other Treatments
None

Treatment Experience
Doc started me on Effexor XR 75 mg when I first came to him for help. It took two weeks for the immediate side effects to subside, and was just left with dry throat and sexual dysfunction. After two weeks I felt pretty much the same, but my brain felt pretty numb and unresponsive.

After 3 weeks I returned to my doc and told him I felt pretty much the same. He upped the dosage to 150 mg daily. It took another two weeks for my body to adjust, as I experienced all the same side effects again as the first round.

I was supposed to return to him after 3 more weeks, but I decided to wait 6. I am approaching the last week. I noticed that ever single week, I've felt a little better. I am going to ask to up the dosage one more level to see if I gain a positive effect, else I will hold at 150 mg.

Effexor XR definitely takes the edge off my SAD, and eliminated 85% of my depression. I am able to sleep well at night, and when I experience moments that bring me down...
I don't feel a need to sit and dwell on it anymore.

I need to say that you do need exposure if you're wanting to conquer your SAD. I started going to school, and it's made me comfortable being around strange large crowds. I don't talk to people regularly, but I can respond without feeling panic!

I'll just add that the sexual dysfunction has pretty much completely dissipated. Just took time for my body to adjust.

My mind is a lot clearer, I am able to focus a lot better, and I am generally a lot happier! Kudos to Effexor XR!

Want a friend? Send me a message
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page