Effexor (venlafaxine) [SNRI] - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 04:17 PM
New mum to summer rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmytim7 View Post
hello everyone

i've taken efexor for depression for about 6 years now

i don't think it has worked, but then again who knows how bad i would be without it

i only take a low dose now. i find stopping it very difficult, the withdrawl effects were terrible, so i just keep taking it.

what helps me most is having a regular routine, exercise, diet and work.

tim
hey tim
sorry to hear that its not working for you
i think it works best when u first feel it start to kick in
when i started taking it in 2006, within the next two months i was on cloud nine, had lost weight, gained energy and made new friends and i was able to work and actually enjoy it without being terrified

However, an antidepressant is only a band aid as some doctors have told me, in other words it does not get rid of the problem, it aides recovery but even something as good (IMO) as an SNRI like effexor, cannot help when circumstantial problems arise, like Relationship break-ups, bereavements, physical pains and bad days at work. when bad things happen thats when i go really low, but without the effexor it would be ten times as bad

on the SSRI, i was still depressed and anxious when nothing was going wrong, at least with effexor when nothing is going badly, they work well they help me to see it that way

its still hard though
because too many pills (i was once on 6 X 75MG) make u feel numb
and too little give me the jitters

"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say why not? "
RFK quoting George Bernard Shaw

Do you think we choose the times into which we are born? Or do we fit the times we are born into?-Abraham Lincoln
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 303 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 11:18 PM
SAS Member

Works well for me. I take 225 mg daily and it's been the only antidepressant thus far (I've tried quite a few in the past) which has helped me with both depression and anxiety. I also don't experience any side effects which is another reason why I like this med.
post #23 of 303 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 11:49 PM
User Requested Permanent Ban

Effexor (225mg) is the first med I have used so far, and I can say it works pretty well. It mainly blocks out the negative self talk or depression w/e. It has lowered my anxiety slightly, but not that much, but my self esteem is at a higher place so I fight through the anxiety alot more.
post #24 of 303 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 01:29 AM
SAS Member

That did absolutely nothing for me.
post #25 of 303 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 03:17 AM
SAS Member

Im on 2mg clonazepam a day. my gp wants me off cause he knows it makes me slow in the head. he says effexor wont do this. i am of above average iq, but i have maintained i will accept a slight retardation to avoid panic attacks. panic attacks are the bane of my life. i have a bottle of effexor, but dont know what to do. which is worth the sacrifice, you know?
post #26 of 303 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 08:10 AM
avast ye landlubbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster H View Post
which is worth the sacrifice, you know?
What has your doctor told you about the effectiveness of Effexor on panic attacks? I've not heard anything about it.

Did your doctor tell you about the difficult withdrawals? If not your doctor needs to get kicked in the face.
In addition to bad withdrawal effects Effexor gave me a very strong suicidal urge when I tried to quit, and I came rather close to shooting myself. The immediate trigger for this was a knotted shoelace, it was insane for a few days.

Your experience will probably not be quite that severe but still, be careful as hell. If you take it, never miss a dose. When you stop taking it, taper very slowly and gently and hope that works.
post #27 of 303 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 12:59 PM
SAS Member

I was on Effexor (75mg) for around six months.

During that time, I experienced absolutely NO relief from my crippling social anxiety or depression. What I did experience was severe emotional blunting, a complete loss of libido, weight gain, a feeling of constant exhaustion and memory deterioration.

My GP wanted to increase the dose, but I refused on the grounds that it would make the already unpleasant side-effects unbearable.

So I started to come off of it...gradually, as should be done with any antidepressant.

What followed were the worst weeks of my life. I suffered panic attacks, endured brain zaps and had suicidal thoughts. I swung between bouts of manic laughter and being in floods of tears. The rest of the time I spent either shaking, curled up into a ball or sleeping.

Effexor was useless for my SA and I could not bear the thought of trying a higher dose. And coming off it was an experience I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Based on my experience, I certainly wouldn't recommend Effexor to anyone.
post #28 of 303 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 05:26 AM
cmr
Prozac!

I am currently taking 150 mg of this drug. Before this I was on citalopram, but wanted to try effexor because my mom is on it. I haven't noticed much of a difference in my anxiety levels from when I was on citalopram, so I think I'm going to switch back to citalopram.

I still have an extremely hard time in social situations, but with both meds I noticed being more comfortable being myself around family, and a slight lessening of anxiety and physical SA symptoms in public.

I haven't had any horrific side effects on effexor, but if I don't take it by the 2nd day I feel lightheaded, feverish, and weird.

Some minor side effects I've experienced on it are night sweats and fatigue.

End Factory Farming!

Open wide my door, my Lord, to whatever makes me love You more. - Aaron Weiss
post #29 of 303 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 03:14 PM
SAS Member

For Social anxiety venlafaxine didnt do anything for me. I was on 375 mg. Been on medication for 8 years +. Those years are gone. Im slowly getting off. I think the first step is to recognize that medication cant change your life.
post #30 of 303 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 10:08 PM
SAS Member

I think I was on 75mg it worked slighty from what I remember.
That was 2 years ago..

I'm thinking of going back on meds..
post #31 of 303 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 06:45 AM
SAS Member

I'm on Efexor (and aripiprazole)...have just reduced from 300 mg to 150 mg. Don't really believe it has done much/anything for me...

~**isfj**~
i wish i would shine you the right words, to make you feel better, walk out of this place; and defeat them in your secret battle; show them you can be your own man again -- the whitlams
post #32 of 303 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 08:45 AM
SAS Member

After being on citalopram for 3 months, I wanted to switch to Effexor. My best friend is on Effexor for anxiety, but she has severe headaches and would rather have anxiety than the headaches. Now I'm not sure. I just know that citalopram doesn't give me relief from my anxiety and depression.
post #33 of 303 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 11:34 AM
SAS Member

Hi there,

I had taken this after Zoloft was too hard on my system. At that time I was still looking for the miracle cure for Social Anxiety. There is none without hard work and changing your thinking. I feel that my regular anxiety had gotten worse with both Zoloft and Effexor and getting off them was the worst experience I ever did. But about 2 months later I had noticed a great decrease in my anxiety other then social situations.

I started a program of exercise everyday ... doing just a little bit more then I usually could do especially after a panic/social anxiety attack to burn off the adrenaline, quit caffeine, aspertame and MSG that is what really worked. Then I did my best to change my thinking patterns (always find a positive or distract when thinking negative) This has really helped and i talked my doctor into giving me Inderal a beta blocker (10-20 mgs before meetings and social events) this took away the red face so I could work on the rest. Now I'd say I'm about 75% of the way on to recovery and life is getting great. It feels really nice to be the new me and it gets better everyday.
post #34 of 303 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 10:24 AM
SAS Member

Effexor made me feel like i was going through menopause and coming off heroin at the same time - horrible night sweats, muscle cramps, jitteriness, migraine headaches, visual disturbances, etc.

the same thing happened when i tried Pristiq - which leads me to believe that i just can't handle the N part of SNRI's.
post #35 of 303 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 01:40 PM
SAS Member

I have severe social phobia that affects every aspect of my life.

I was taking Effexor for about 6 months. I started at 30mg and went up to 150mg over time. This medication did not help my anxiety at all. It actually made me extremely depressed and worsened a drinking problem I was already developing because of anxiety. I attempted suicide twice and thought about suicide all the time. I thought that I had just become really depressed and didn't realise it was the drug. I hadn't really even come to terms that I had social phobia at this stage and thought I was just unhappy and lacked confidence. Apart from crying my eyes out a great deal and feeling like ending my life I also had problems sleeping, hot and cold flushes, particularly when trying to sleep - I'd be sweating all over and freezing at the same time. Also had a dry mouth, complete lack of appetite and lack of sex drive. Stopping taking the medication only increased all these side effects. After not taking the medication for about two weeks I started to feel normal again (well normal as in not medicated). The extremely bad withdrawal lasted for about four days and was hell. I completely fell apart after that experience and lost my job and several friends, cause I was just too much hard work for them to handle anymore. Now it's been about 4 months and I am not on any medication at all, I only take fish oil capsules and St Johns Wart and they have really helped me to have a natural feeling of good spirits, they took several months to take effect but I recommend them for minor depression. As for anxiety, I still can't find a medication that works, I want one to help primarily with anxiety not depression as I do not feel depressed, I'm still waiting to see a shrink and my general practioner is not much help, but I am going back tomorrow to try and get more help. I am hoping that this site might help me find a medication that I think could work for my anxiety, cause I would love to be able to go outside the house and make friends and get a job, without feeling like the whole world is watching and judging me.
post #36 of 303 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 01:52 AM
SAS Member

I have a full untouched bottle of effexor. Doctor told me to try it because, as opposed to benzodiazepines, it would not slow my brain down, or impair both my concentration and congnitive skills. Benzos do. Ive not touched it, and thanks to this thread after thinking about the switch, i will most likely not even try.
post #37 of 303 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 09:04 PM
SAS Member

Seems like all these ssris and snris are almost useless. I had to read decades old medical texts to find out that i NEEDED to tell a doctor to prescribe me - a benzodiazepine. Seems like, if youre here at this site, you probably dont have a little problem... you probably have a big one. I had to make a sacrifice to take a benzo. The side effects are bad, but panic attacks are worse.

Now i can only hope with a life in the gutter (i dont have a life), with only occasional MINOR panic attacks, maybe some kind of therapy can help me, but i wouldnt bet on it.
post #38 of 303 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 01:31 PM
SAS Member

effexor

effexor, is one of the worst med,s to tapper off. Made my hair fall out, but that was more the to soon high dosage by a nut shrink. I got my hair back after i came off. It may have worked if he hadnt rushed the dose 225MG in 2 weeks.
post #39 of 303 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 06:31 PM
New mum to summer rose

Posting again
i rate it 4.5/5 Its worked wonders for me with anxiety and depression
It takes awhile to work but once it does it seems those irrational fears to clear and the appetite seems to normalize, its so nice not being constantly hungry and anxious

"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say why not? "
RFK quoting George Bernard Shaw

Do you think we choose the times into which we are born? Or do we fit the times we are born into?-Abraham Lincoln
post #40 of 303 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 08:54 AM
SAS Member

For me (and everyone seems to be different), effexor xr at 75mg seemed to be pretty good for my social anxiety, and my mood in general.

higher doses made my SA worse, actually (which sort of makes sense - according to my doc, effexor is an SNRI, and norepinephrine reuptake inhibition does not kick in until doses of 150mg and higher)

sides I experienced: diarrhea (I have crohn's disease, and effexor seemed to make the CD a bit worse), fatigue/laziness, possible weight gain (though I was on a 3 month work trip to london and we got fed all the time).

I took it for about 3 months.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page