Effexor (venlafaxine) [SNRI] - Page 16 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #301 of 306 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 03:06 PM
ff

Okay, I'm up to 150 mg now for a week or so. Here's what's changed.

Negatives:
- I shake / tremor noticeably more.
- It's hard for me to maintain focus on ONE thing. Instead I juggle like 3 conversations (it would be 0 mind you a year ago, lol,) the internet, work, etc. It's impacted my work negatively. If one thing in the corner of my eye catches the slightest bit of my attention, I might not leave it alone for like an hour. This could be a conversation that I don't really need to bother with, posting on this forum when I could be working, etc etc.

- A bit harder to sleep now, even after already having trouble sleeping.

Positives:
- WOW I just say what's on my mind and don't care. I already kind of felt this way after starting venlafaxine, but it's even more intense now.
- Further improvement in word recall and forming sentences that are easier for others to digest. This might be a benefit from just talking a lot more, though.
- If I can manage to devote my attention to just one thing, my focus levels become very adderall-ish. Def a good benefit there

U got dis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 306 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:01 AM
SAS Member

Has anyone taken this with abilify?? That's my pdoc's next plan in completely avoiding prescribing me a stimulant.

I've heard Effexor, abilify and Wellbutrin is a very good combo. Anyone had experience with this? I never found Effexor to be helpful before but I was taking it on its own
post #303 of 306 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 09:36 AM
SAS Member

Social Anxiety Background
32 Year old male with pretty much life long Anxiety and Panic Attack issues. Issues predominantly Social Anxiety related, especially with relationships. Dating/Relationships made me feel very anxious with panic attacks to such levels that I would vomit regularly, especially in more intense situations. Being in a relationship made me feel awful to such a level I would avoid them and would distance myself from people I thought liked me.

Also, had similar but lesser feelings in other situations where I subconsciously felt that I was being judged. Feelings of low confidence and self esteem.

Treatment Experience
Venlafaxine 37.5mg 2/day, for Month 1, Efexor XL (XR) 75mg thereafter.

First 2 weeks suffered from dry mouth, feelings of nausea, increased anxiety, ejaculation issues, shakiness, changes in appetite... I would say that these feelings were certainly on the mild side. I was aware of them but they never made me feel put off. As the days rolled on the feelings decreased until they disappeared (ejaculation issue took about 3-4 weeks to subdue).

1 Month in, my levels of anxiety levels have levelled out and generally about 80% less than I would expect in given situations. At times my anxiety/panic attack feelings felt like i'd been stabbed in the stomach with a knife. Now it feels more like being stabbed by a spoon. My anxiety issues don't seem to escalate into feelings of panic. I don't feel so bad about myself, I feel more confident, consistently happier, happier about myself.

On a scale of feeling bad/good, prior to Venlafaxine i'd feel between 3/10 to 8/10 depending on the situation, now it is between 6/10 to 8/10. Much more level, much more predictable.

There are a lot of horror stories about SSRIs/SNRIs. All I'd say that if you can relate to what i've written give it a go! The first few weeks aren't great but 1 month in I feel an optimism moving forward I've not felt in a long time! I've not yet been in a position yet that would generally cause me the anxiety levels that historically caused me panic attacks but I feel that when they come I will be able to deal with them better! Hopefully a new chapter in my life is coming! Fingers crossed!

post #304 of 306 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 03:03 PM
ff

I eventually stopped taking this stuff because it makes my passion for music disappear. It did help with my anxiety while I was on it, but not a drug that I would want to be on for an extended period.

U got dis
post #305 of 306 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 03:33 PM
And then, it went quiet..

My Mood: Pensive
Quote:
Originally Posted by uziq View Post
I eventually stopped taking this stuff because it makes my passion for music disappear. It did help with my anxiety while I was on it, but not a drug that I would want to be on for an extended period.
emotional blunting is relatively common (at least in my experience)

However, if you ever do go back on it, try sticking to the lowest active dose. it may help to reduce such side effects like that.

Other possibilities are to try an SSRI (less powerful, but emotional blunting may still occur) or change antidepressants altogether. Another treatment option for medication-induced blunted affect, is to augment your primary medication with something else (say wellbutrin or Abilify or remeron for instance), but I personally wouldn't recommend this option until everything else has been tried. Of course, if you can live without being on meds altogether, that is the best option. Some people can't though unfortunately.

Antidepressants can help when you're severely stuck in a temporary rut or an intense period of depression/anxiety (in which case you can simply come off of them, using a very gradual taper to reduce side effects and the possibility of relapse, when you're feeling better). Other's however, who endure extreme suffering from mental illness their whole life without it hardly ever letting up or giving in, may need to stay on them for much longer or indefinitely... Think about it like treating any other chronic illness like diabetes or arthritis. Unfortunately, imo, antidepressants are more of simply a crutch or tool to utilize rather than an actual cure. However, in a way, the same could possibly said for Insulin as well, for instance. But depression/anxiety can also have to do with lifestyle/lifestyle choices, your social circles/social support (or lack thereof), other illnesses, diet/exercise, past trauma, behavioral patterns, and thought patterns in addition to neuronal biochemistry...

also, realize that can simply people change over long periods of time, and passions/hobbies/interests can fade with that passing time as your experiences, perspective, and priorities change and multiply...

also, some people will use, sometimes unknowingly, music and the arts to cope (or escape) with a mental ailment/illness such as anxiety, or, depression especially. this goes for making art as well as consuming it. Once the depression and/or anxiety has been dealt with and fades, the drive to get lost in the enjoyment of creating or consuming art may fade as well... i used to be an artist, but no longer create like I used to. I don't experience near the same enjoyment consuming art either. Especially music, I hardly ever create or listen to it anymore. I believe there are many reasons for this, not just one (i.e. only meds).

And once you're gone, you can never come back.

When you're, out of the blue
and into the black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJUBO!
Pedohile? He did not touch Aisha until she was 18 or something.
Islamaphobia isn't real: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAWScMmYwCg

Signing up to drive for Uber? Use my code: q7gxxfpeue
Great social practice, and
I'll split the referral bonus (which is like $400 or $500 total) 50/50 with you via PayPal or something similar.
post #306 of 306 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 03:36 PM
And then, it went quiet..

My Mood: Pensive
Quote:
Originally Posted by rm123 View Post
Has anyone taken this with abilify?? That's my pdoc's next plan in completely avoiding prescribing me a stimulant.

I've heard Effexor, abilify and Wellbutrin is a very good combo. Anyone had experience with this? I never found Effexor to be helpful before but I was taking it on its own
Can't know until you try. I'd think it'd do "something" noticeable at least. Just be careful as Wellbutrin can increase anxiety...

And once you're gone, you can never come back.

When you're, out of the blue
and into the black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJUBO!
Pedohile? He did not touch Aisha until she was 18 or something.
Islamaphobia isn't real: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAWScMmYwCg

Signing up to drive for Uber? Use my code: q7gxxfpeue
Great social practice, and
I'll split the referral bonus (which is like $400 or $500 total) 50/50 with you via PayPal or something similar.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page