Effexor (venlafaxine) [SNRI] - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Treatment Reviews > Medication > SNRIs (Serotonin–Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors)

Like Tree13 Liked Posts

Old 02-26-2010, 01:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Effexor (venlafaxine) [SNRI]

Effexor is the most commonly prescribed medication in the category of serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs). It has been used in the treatment of major depression for many years and has recently been approved by the FDA for the treatment of Social Anxiety Disorder.

SNRIs are typically prescribed as a second option after SSRIs have not been effective or tolerated well. They function by affecting the amounts of serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine in the body as well as their uptake in the brain. Effexor is reported to be effective among many SAD patients, though other patients do not find Effexor to be useful. Common side effects include insomnia and sexual dysfunction.

More info:User ratings/reviews:
Helena_SAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Awesome!

(Copied over from old review system)

Posted by Opie
Social Anxiety Background
I've been very shy since I can remember.

Treatment Experience
I just recently came off Effexor. I was taking 225mg at night. I did not have any withdrawal symptoms coming off it. I was on it for about a year and a half. And it worked tremendously. It crushed my anxiety. Situations where I would get the fight or flight feeling, the adrenaline rush. Those feelings and thoughts were gone. Literally a miracle. The drug won't help unless you go out there and conquer your fears.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default eh...

Posted by kim00
I have soxial anxiety, panic disorder, and mild depression.

Treatment Experience
I was on a fairly low dose of this medication for around 2 months. I did notice a slight improvement in depressive thinking,and a small elevation of mood, which was nice, but I don't think this is an effective anxiety treatment.

I continued to have panic attacks throughout my treatment. They tended to be of a shorter than usual, but I noticed that whenever I was coming out of a panic attack, I'd get this sweeping nausea and a sudden headache. It was like the medication was working to stop the panic attack, but produced painful side-effects in the process. Eventually the nausea/headache feeling actually kept me from going out in public as much as the panic disorder did because I always felt like I was going to vomit.

I was completely unable to have orgasms on this medication. Also, I always felt full and had little apetite. I would go 2 days on nothing but a salad and a glass of water and not even notice.

I wanted to stay on the med just for the weight loss potential, but I actually GAINED weight because not being able to eat slows your metabolism to a crawl.

I had withdrawl symptoms when I stepped off this med.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default Pretty much made me suicidal

Posted by rustybob
Had social anxiety pretty much forever from growing up in a racist town. Definitely not the textbook social anxiety case, as I did have friends, played team sports, worked since I was 10 years old, did sales jobs, etc etc. I never realized I had it until I finally decided to fix my sleep problems.

My whole life I've been unable to get more than 1.5 hours straight of sleep (unless I was sick). So even though I got 8 hours I still felt like crap. This is what initially got me into trying to figure out what's wrong with me. Once I seen the list of symptoms for seratonin deficiency I knew that was my problem. My whole life have suffered from a lack of energy and motivation.

Other Treatments
Ativan (although this was initially prescribed for sleep)
Valium (not obtained through a doctor, worked great though)
Zoloft (Awful)
Wellbutrin (Still using, working great with Remeron)
Remeron (Amazing, has me feeling like a normal person)
5-HTP (Helped mood slightly, sleep was just as bad due to crazy nightmares)

Treatment Experience
I went onto Effexor with the hopes that it could tide me over until I could go back onto Remeron. I had to stop Remeron after nearly dieing in a car accident, as it was starting to give paradoxal effects.

I decided to try Effexor with the hopes that it wouldn't turn me into a zombie who slept 14+ hours/day like Zoloft did. I couldn't sleep pretty much at all on Effexor, even though it made me feel quite fatigued all day every day. Tough to say whether it was the Effexor or whether it was me going back to the way I was before medication, but had a complete inability to feel. Caused random anxiety attacks, which I never had on no meds, Zoloft, or Remeron.

Around two weeks in on a low dose (75mg) I pretty much lost my mind. One night I took a whole bunch of Ativan at once for no reason. Then there were three days where I have zero recolection of, but when I came out of it there were lots of stuff written that could be interpreted as either being suicidal, or ready to go on a rampage.

Once I snapped out of that trance I took a dose of Remeron and within half an hour felt like myself again.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default Nightmare!!

Posted by meyaj
I've been dealing with SA since around 9-10 years old.

Picture this: a "bright" kid with (undiagnosed at the time) ADD gets moved to a "gifted program" at school, and basically grows up with the exact same driven, motivated kids for the next decade.

As you can imagine, being a kid with ADD was almost an insult in it itself to the overachievers. So, friendless, without many opportunities for making new friends, this kid never really evolved socially, and is now pretty much terrified of it.

Other Treatments
Antidepressants: Lexapro/Cipralex, Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Nortriptyline
Too many others to list.

CBT (1 year now)

Treatment Experience
I tried this once for a week, on the relatively low dose of 75mg/day. I had the XR once-daily pills.

Once-daily was kind of misleading, for my body anyways. If I didn't take my next pill about 20 hours later, I would get intense withdrawals. The brain zaps were frequent and pretty debilitating.

And when I was on the medication.. I'm normally a pretty fatigued person but it just made me so tired, all I wanted to do was sleep all day.

I normally tolerate drugs pretty well, but this was too much for me.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default A very scary drug

Posted by DB85
Sufferer of panic since adolescence, and social anxiety my entire life (doc told me I couldn't even look people in the eyes as a child). Depression hit me hard as an undergrad. Right now, my two big issues are depression and social anxiety around females I'm attracted to (so pretty much any female who is remotely good looking, 18-40, sometimes older :-P).

Other Treatments
Drugs: Paxil, Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Effexor XR, Xanax, Propanolol

Approximately 6 psych docs, including the one I'm seeing now. I've tried various things with them including CBT, relaxation, typical talking nonsense, visualization, ad infinitum.

At one point, my parents forked over a substantial amount of cash to a website which claimed to be able to cure speaking phobias after two or three phone calls. It was incredibly stupid and I still feel remorse for costing my parents that much money.

Treatment Experience
Google "effexor withdrawal" before deciding to take this drug.

I took it for years, starting at 75mg and going all the way up to 225mg for a period of about 2 years. At no time did I feel like effexor made me less depressed or anxious, but I was terrified of coming off of it. The side effects (what felt like rapid-cycling bipolar disorder, constant sweating, erectile dysfunction, constant hunger/inability to lose weight even when working out hard 5 days a week) were what finally pushed me to try and stop. Did I mention erectile dysfunction? Yeah, thats reason enough not to take this drug, fellas. Talk about social anxiety...not being able to 'rise to the occasion' is a nightmare.

I recently tapered back down to 75mg over a few months period, feeling awful for about a week each step down I took. I finally went from 75 to 0. I felt ok - maybe a little uncomfortable - for about 36 hours after stopping. Then, a feeling of 'oh my god, I'm dying' swept over me. My heart was pounding, I felt outside of myself and completely out of control. I rushed home and took a 75mg and xanax to calm down. A few hours later I was back to normal (well, 'Effexor normal"). I went to my doc and got 37.5 mg pills. I took one of those a day for about a month and went down to nothing again. This time I felt the typical nausea, diarrhea, 'brain zaps' which are truly bizzare and not much fun, and constantly like I just got off of a boat at sea. I also wake up feeling exhausted. The icing on the cake was waking up with tons of acne around my mouth after the fourth day. Physically, the withdrawal sucks, but I'm doing OK with it on that front. Dramamine, vitamin b complex, st. john's wort, and a multi-vitamin are probably my saving grace. Mentally, I get violently angry over stupid things, and then I'll be hopeless and crying almost without skipping a beat. I have very wacked out and vivid dreams. Sometimes I feel like I'm not in control of myself. Its frightening. The feeling of hopelessness is crushing by the end of each day. You may say "well that's because you're not on an anti-depressant anymore, stupid!". This is not the case. Scroll up and re-read about how I often felt ON the drug. I'm feeling signs of improvement and can't wait to be totally free of this nightmarish med. I no longer go to the doctor who put me on this drug. I could never trust his judgment again after this experience. I really wish they would pull it off the market. It's just not worth taking with so many more options out there...I, personally, will be taking the therapy and self help route again. I want lasting change, not drug dependency and side effects.

If you're suffering from a phobia or specific social anxiety, may I suggest a beta blocker such as inderal? That drug got me to go in front of people and present without the physically debilitating panic attacks. After the first positive experience, I stopped having anticipatory anxiety, and even started to enjoy giving presentations. I only take it now before very big presentations and meetings :-) Being able to get yourself exposure should be your ultimate goal, and this med can really assist you in being able to do so.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default The only med that has actually helped

Posted by SeaShell
Social Anxiety disorder and GAD with bouts of severe Depression.

Other Treatments
Cilift (did nothing) Cipralex (did nothing) Xanor SR (did nothing) Stillnox Zopiclone Urbanol

Treatment Experience
My doc prescribed Effexor 75 when all other medication failed to have any effect on my anxiety and depression.

It took only 2 weeks for me to start feeling a difference. I'm sure most of you know what it's like to feel like **** everyday. That dead sinking feeling that never goes away. When no medication has helped you in any way...

Well gradually, I started feeling better. That sinking feeling started to lift and I felt more able to tackle my problems. My depression had caused my therapy to hit a brick wall, but with the depression easing, I was able to make a few breakthroughs.

I don't know I will ever be completely released from the icey grips of Anxiety Disorder or Depression, but Effexor has definitely helped take the edge off.
Furio likes this.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default Effexor/Venlafaxine XR 150mg

Posted by dss
Other Treatments
None before Effexor XR

Treatment Experience
I was on Effexor XR 150mg for about 2 years before recently stopping. I had tried to go up to 225mg but would wake up in the night with a very wierd/vivid state of mind and pulsing sounds in my head that would keep me up for 20 minutes. I went back to 150mg after that and stayed at that dose.

Before Effexor XR I would label myself a shut-in. I would avoid social situations and any that I would force myself to go to I would feel terrible doing.

After being on Effexor for a while I found I was slowly able to push myself to go out and do things that I previously would have avoided or dreaded doing. It helped me cope with the anxiety of being in the situations to some degree. After a couple years of being on it and avoiding a switch to other medication I decided to stop it and try some new meds. I do think Effexor was able to help me as a first step but I don't really feel like it's a very effective treatment for social anxiety. Perhaps for someone whos anxiety isn't too severe it could be an option but I think there are other options out there that don't have as many negatives as this.

As for the side effects and the cons of the drug I will list what I had.
  • Constantly Tired , napping in the afternoon (no sleeping during the day since stopping)
  • Anorgasmia (Unable to orgasm , went away after some time but still felt wierd)
  • Zombie/Drugged feeling , always felt like I was sedated or drugged in a way
  • Night sweats
  • Waking with the wierd feeling mentioned at the top , would periodically happen even after being off of 225mg for a while.
  • Brain Zaps (Starting and Stopping the Medication)

After weening myself off Effexor and noticing just how different it makes you feel (side effect wise) I have a hard time reccomending it to anyone considering the amount of other options there are.
Misty D from TN likes this.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

Default Zombie Treatment

Posted by PrincessQueenCupcake
Anxiety since 15. Anxiety treated starting at age 16- Prozac, but didn't help with the anxiety only depression. Never liked anything else and wouldn't take anything that would make me gain weight.

Other Treatments
Found most benefits in treating anxiety from counseling.

Treatment Experience
Effexor 225 mg since November 2006 , missing a dose meant withdrawal symptoms usually nausea , headaches, dizziness. Spring 2009 went up to 300 mg decided by prescriber. Completely lost appetite stopped eating and stopped caring altogether, became detached and apathetic. It was hard to think or concentrate. Was 5'6 113-115plds went down to 108.

Tapered off Effexor and switched to Prozac . Was sick coming off but had an easy ride in comparison to the stories I read regarding Effexor. Did best at 75 mg on Effexor. Still, the withdrawals weren't worth it. Am doing much better now on just 20 mg of Prozac.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default Nothing

Posted by livingnsilence
Social anxiety runs in my family, and I don't respond to exposure or therapy, so it's probably genetic.

Other Treatments
Clonazapam

Treatment Experience
I was on 100mg of venlafaxine for a month. It had no affect on me what so ever. Because it is expensive without insurance I quit with very little tapering but the withdrawl wasn't bad. The only withdrawl symptom I had was some weird sensations in my head, neck and arms that pulsated, I guess it was the "shock" people describe but it didn't feel like a shock to me. The sensation was bad except that it made it harder to fall asleep.

I will add, though, that I tend to have a high resistance to many different meds and usually need a much higher dose than normal to work.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #11 (permalink)

Default Fairly helpful

Posted by redlegion
I have a general social anxiety, but with a specific attention focused on authority figures. This probably stems from conflicts in the past with the USSS.

Other Treatments
I've been put on Welbutrin, Xanax, Paxil, Cymbalta, and a handful of others.

Treatment Experience
I've been on Effexor XR 150mg capsules for about a year and some change, now. So far, it's the only medication I've taken that actually prevents my symptoms from flaring up in the first place. To me, it's more important to prevent the symptom from appearing, rather than just zap it away as soon as the flare-up gets out of hand.

While it's worked rather well and allows me to be personable and deal with customer service situations at work, I still have serious issues with figures of authority in particular.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:24 AM   #12 (permalink)

Default the blues

Posted by shiftleft
Treatment Experience
After the passing of a couple of family members I found myself with the blues. The doc gave me Effexor 150 x2 per day which has been effective. It took about 3 months to work and I just about took it back. I felt even worse a couple of times, but since then it has stabilised my mood. I have had a couple of times when i have been out of town and forgotten my meds - totally don't recommend missing them out, fuzzy head.

Would recommend though
Old 03-01-2010, 11:24 AM   #13 (permalink)

Default Useless for me

Posted by Skaz
First anxiety shock at age of 11 - 12 years old, psych didn't realize it though. Officially diagnosed at age of 19. That was 8 years ago. Have been seeking treatment ever since. Tried a lot of medications and been through group CBT. My SA is a moderate - high type of the generalized variety. And it's getting worse in some areas while others seem to be getting better. Overall though it feels as it's becoming more of a problem as I get older.

Other Treatments
Paxil(seroxat), Cipramil, Xanax, Klonopin, Zoloft, Imovane and CBT. Paxil was hell compared to this, Cipramil and Zoloft actually rather similar with no concrete benefits. So far only Xanax, Klonopin and Imovane have helped to any degree and Xanax is the clear winner but has the unfortunate side effects of simply knocking me out a few hours after it peaks. Klonopin is more subtle and less effective and Imovone simply helps me falling asleep and thus avoiding periods of non helpful revisions and reflections of social situations. CBT isn't comparable as such but it was immensely helpful.

Treatment Experience
Me:
Overweight male of 26 going on 27 years, have been proven to be rather treatment resistant to pharmacological treatments, the jury is still out on the CBT one.

Ok, So I was started on this drug around 18 months ago. I started on 75 mg and went a month later to 150 mg. That continued for 2 months. And as I wasn't getting anything other than vague benefits at most I was increased to 300 mg in dosage. That hasn't increased the benefits to any remarkable or noticeable degree. So I started taking 450 mg, and have been doing that for around 10 months. This still hasn't had any concrete effects. All improvements I've had with my condition can also be attributed to other causes than the medication so it's at best vague if it's actually doing anything for me. So this is the last month I'm going to be on this drug.

Common side effects for me have been excessive sweating (after starting the 300 mg this kicked into high gear). And recently some involuntary muscle spasms as I'm falling asleep or relaxing have been becoming frequent. Other probable effects are constipation, headaches and so on...

Overall I don't think this drug is of any use for me even as an anti-depressant. And it's most certainly useless as an anti-anxiety med for me. So try it if you want to but based on myself it's not a guaranteed to be a useful treatment or even a helpful one.

Overall I can't recommend this medication as a possible treatment.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:25 AM   #14 (permalink)

Default Does Nothing

Posted by h4kirvan
Treatment Experience
I've been on 75 MG Effexor for about 2 years now, and I can tell you that I still have all my symptoms. And have weird side effects too. I don't know why I have stayed on it so long.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #15 (permalink)

Default no not really

Posted by stealyourface722
Treatment Experience
Rasied my blood pressure, mood swings, increased appetite and cuased a bit of panic so it didnt really help with social anxiety
Old 03-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #16 (permalink)

Default Worked...BUT

Posted by piratebychoice
Diagnosed in 2004. Fear of going out in public places or driving long distances. Fear of getting sick in public. Restaurants and eating in front of people get my "Flight or Fight" response going thus creating more anxiety.

Other Treatments
Since coming off the Effexor I have read alot on Anxiety and treatments. I am currently working with my Pastor on some exposure therapy and CBT Techniques. Though he isn't certified he has dealt with this himself, so it helps knowing that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Treatment Experience
I was diagnosed with SAD in 2004 and my doctor immediately put me on Effexor XR 75 mg. I did no research, which is my fault, and all I wanted was a way out and some relief. I had been suffering with Anxiety for 3 years prior, so I needed something. Effexor did that job just fine.

It worked wonders, but the side effects were horrible. Low libido, feeling like a zombie, not really caring about anything at all. After a while I decided, with my doctor to come down to 37.5 mg which the lowest possible dossage. I took 37.5 mg for probably 3 years until it stopped working last year. I asked my doctor if I could come off of it and he said sure, but keep an open mind and don't be afraid to up the dosage.

Las October I decided to come off of it all together, I tapered off like I was supposed to. Still the side effects, brain zaps, nausea, flu like symptoms all took place and some were bad. All of this because of Effexor, at the lowest possible dosage.

My decision to come off was out of necessity and want. The medication's price went up and I was unemployed, so paying for it was not an option anymore. I also wanted to handle it correctly and not cover it up, utilizing exposure therapy and CBT techniques. I am still struggling with it, but I feel so much more like myself than I did while I was on it.

I was on the lowest possible dosage and I know that my SAD isn't as bad as some. However I would not recommend it to anyone unless it is the last resort. It worked wonders to get me over my hump, but it soon became nothing more than a crutch as it stopped working and the Anxiety attacks still happend. I have been off it now for 4 months and will never take Effexor XR again.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:28 AM   #17 (permalink)

Default Wasn't worth the money I paid for it

Posted by thisisfraser
Treatment Experience
I started taking Effexor at the lowest dose you can get. I spent 3 days in a state of complete shock and paranoia when I first started taking it. After those 3 days I started feeling more like a zombie than an actual human being. I once again went to see my doc and he kept upping the dose until I hit the 150mg mark. I felt like garbage for 30 minutes after taking it and after two months I still constantly felt like my body was charged with static electricity and was almost always nauseous so my doctor decided to take me off of it.

The side effects of being taken off the meds was even worse than taking the meds. Sensory disruption I think is one of the side effects and man did I ever feel like I was being zapped every time I blinked.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:23 PM   #18 (permalink)

hmmm well thats odd, i found this medication brilliant ,am still on it four years later
yes there are side effects but no different than Arapax which is the SSRI version of Effexor and much more ycky.

Effexor helped me alot, it took time to work but the side effects were minimal for me aside from the dry mouth, sleepiness and loss appetite which was perfect for me, i lost ten kilos on it and maintained it too, i recommend these for anyone with eating issues, anxiety and depression combined maybe not so good for SA though

Do you think we choose the times into which we are born? Or do we fit the times we are born into?-Abraham Lincoln
Arisa1536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:27 PM   #19 (permalink)

I was on Effexor briefly when it was thought I just had general anxiety. It worked brilliantly for the SAD I now know I have. I didn't notice it for a few weeks while I was anxious as hell about experiencing this "sexual dysfunction" side effect but after a few weeks, I noticed I was operating on a much more even keel. Definitely would recommend this drug. However, I am interested in how people respond to it over a period of years.
Shmeeks86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #20 (permalink)

hello everyone

i've taken efexor for depression for about 6 years now

i don't think it has worked, but then again who knows how bad i would be without it

i only take a low dose now. i find stopping it very difficult, the withdrawl effects were terrible, so i just keep taking it.

what helps me most is having a regular routine, exercise, diet and work.

tim
timmytim7 is offline   Reply With Quote