PC extremely slow connecting to Internet and keeps crashing - HELP!!! - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Discussion > Geek Central

Old 08-07-2010, 01:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default PC extremely slow connecting to Internet and keeps crashing - HELP!!!

I'm trying to solve a problem with my mum's partner's desktop running Windows XP Home Edition SP2. It regularly takes 15 or 20 minutes (sometimes longer) to get online - this is the time it takes for either Firefox or IE (he has the latest versions of both browsers installed but usually tends to use IE atm) to get from the desktop to loading the home page. Even when it finally does finish loading the home page it often just completely freezes up and refuses to do anything or just throws him offline. Until a couple of weeks ago it didn't seem to make any difference which browser we tried, but now Firefox seems to have stopped working completely. When it freezes up and we try to close the program, that often takes ages as well and so we often just end up having to restart the computer and start back right from the beginning again. Spybot Search & Destroy and Avast run regular virus scans and never come up with any nasties, most of the computer's hard drive is free and he doesn't tend to run lots of programs simultaneously (he only ever really uses it for the Internet). I don't think the problem lies with our wireless router or ISP because my laptop never has any problems connecting to the Intenet and my home page loads almost instantly. While i'm not computer illerate i also don't know enough to know what the problem might be and how to fix it.

Just to clarify, this is not a new problem, it has been an ongoing problem for a long time and my mum's partner is completely at the end of his tether. It doesn't help that he doesn't really understand computers much (not that i'm any kind of expert myself) and gets very frustrated and angry with it.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

PS - Sorry for such a long post, it wasn't intended to be.
citizen_erased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Do you ever clean out the internet cookies? If you dont do that or disk defrag/disk cleanup once a month it will slow down your computer badly.

Try installing and running CCleaner, and run your disk cleanup and disk defrag.
Also Auslogics disk defrag does a better job than windows defrag, and is more thorough, so try running that too.

After all those are run restart the computer and try again.
keithp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

http://www.microsoft.com/security_es...aspx?mkt=en-us

That is something to try. If you really wanted to fix the problem, backup the data and install Linux Mint. Re-installing Windows might be an option as well, but using Linux to access the internet and a virtual Windows environment to run the few programs that don't work in Linux is the best option.
http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php (download the 32-bit or 64-bit Live DVD or KDE Live DVD if you have a DVD burner)

And if they don't know how to use Linux, how is that any different from how much they know about using Windows? Anymore, things just work in Linux once they get setup.
Classified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Any possibility of getting someone to look at the computer? It could be any number of things, and I'm not a fan of recommending fixes without knowing what the problem is. It would be best to have someone sit down and troubleshoot it, then work out a course of action to fix whatever problem has been found.
Narcissus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

Is it only the browsers that are extremely slow or is the computer slow in general (even with other tasks other than browsing internet)? If the problem is associated only with browsing the internet, you could try uninstalling and then reinstalling the browser.
And, In case of firefox, you can also try to run it in safe mode (the option is there under the firefox folder in your start menu)
Every form of happiness is private. Our greatest memories are personal, self-motivated, not to be touched. The things which are sacred or precious to us are the things we withdraw from promiscuous sharing. -- Ayn Rand

The true use of speech is not so much to express our wants as to conceal them. -- Oliver Goldsmith

Experience is the worst teacher; it gives the test before presenting the lesson. -- Vernon Law
Slim Shady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Worst case scenario...reinstall windows.
Futures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futures View Post
Worst case scenario...reinstall windows.
Exactly! Double-glazing is the only answer!

My pooter-machine is really slow too, but I think its just down ta good auld Irish boadband. Its cack altogether

"with you dub i will never be 100% lesbian"

A Kiirby is fer life, not just fer Crimbo
Dub16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

you need to buy acronis true image
it won't solve your internet problem
but it will spare you the trouble of reinstalling windows and programs every couple of months or so
Some Russian Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Round of applause for all of you!!!
heartofchambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

Is the computer in general really slow? It seems like something is severely wrong with the thing if it takes 15 minutes to start Firefox. It sounds like the program is memory leaking because its crashing the entire machine. Nothing to do with the network card/internet. Try re-installing the browsers first.

If that doesn't work, you can try deleting the temp files, cookies, cache, etc. and defrag as was suggested. Also, you might have a ton of useless processes eating up all the RAM. Do a ctrl-alt-del and look at your CPU and memory usage. End all unnecessary processes, then go to run in the start menu and type msconfig. A window will pop up -- go to the startup tab and uncheck all the useless crap. If the guy has been living with browsers that take 15 minutes to load, he probably doesn't realize that he has a buttload of useless processes running on start-up.

Honestly, though, I think that's shoveling crap upstream. It sounds like your Windows install may be borked or the sector on the hard drive that the browsers are installed on is bad. I'd run a Check Disk (comes with Windows) scan on it to see if anything's wrong with the hard drive. If that doesn't turn anything up, I'd go with a Windows re-install. Re-installing every once in a while is nice anyway, because it clears the clutter out of the registry that builds up with use and gives better performance.